CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

I submitted my application in Morris County today.   It was straightforward enough, it just took me a long time to get my reference signatures (mailing the forms around) and get on the schedule to complete a full HQC-1 qualification at Reloaderz.  I shot the course twice, with a striker-fired and a hammer-fired gun, and they added two more striker-fired guns on my qual sheet since they were substantially identical.  So two passing scores should get me 4 guns listed on the permit.

What wasn't straightforward, as many, many people here have pointed out, is getting an IdentoGO appointment for fingerprints.  The Service Code flags the fingerprint request as firearms-related, and magically all appointments in the system disappear.  Using the maximum values in the search terms, 7 days out, within 25 miles of my zip code, there are ZERO appointments open to me in NJ.  BUT, that 25 mile search radius brings in a number of the NY  IdentoGO sites.  Between them, they have 1661 openings in the next 7 days, I'd just have to make the drive and pay the extra $40.

Several on this forum have noted that if you use an out-of-state address in IdentoGO, suddenly lots and lots of NJ firearms print appointments appear all over NJ, only to disappear if you change back to an in-state address.  Since the address used has to match your ID, that isn't useful as a workaround.

It's probably outside of their scope, and lord knows they're crazy busy chasing down other infringements, but I emailed my search results to Strikeforce just the same.

2 minutes ago, 10X said:

I submitted my application in Morris County today.   It was straightforward enough, it just took me a long time to get my reference signatures (mailing the forms around) and get on the schedule to complete a full HQC-1 qualification at Reloaderz.  I shot the course twice, with a striker-fired and a hammer-fired gun, and they added two more striker-fired guns on my qual sheet since they were substantially identical.  So two passing scores should get me 4 guns listed on the permit.

What wasn't straightforward, as many, many people here have pointed out, is getting an IdentoGO appointment for fingerprints.  The Service Code flags the fingerprint request as firearms-related, and magically all appointments in the system disappear.  Using the maximum values in the search terms, 7 days out, within 25 miles of my zip code, there are ZERO appointments open to me in NJ.  BUT, that 25 mile search radius brings in a number of the NY  IdentoGO sites.  Between them, they have 1661 openings in the next 7 days, I'd just have to make the drive and pay the extra $40.

Since several on this forum have noted that if you use an out-of-state address in IdentoGO, suddenly lots and lots of NJ firearms print appointments appear all over NJ, only to disappear if you change back to an in-state address.  Since the address used has to match your ID, that isn't useful as a workaround.

It's probably outside of their scope, and lord knows they're crazy busy chasing down other infringements, but I emailed my search results to Strikeforce just the same.

Don't overthink it. Pay the extra $40 and do it in either PA or NY the next day. There are some in this thread who have done out of state prints and already have their permit.

I did mine out of state and no problems. Still waiting on the permit but the detective in my town told me he got the prints back and all was good. 

PA appointment, NJ address, $40 out of state fee.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, 10X said:

Several on this forum have noted that if you use an out-of-state address in IdentoGO, suddenly lots and lots of NJ firearms print appointments appear all over NJ, only to disappear if you change back to an in-state address.  Since the address used has to match your ID, that isn't useful as a workaround.

I was able to make an appointment for fingerprinting the same day I dropped off my application at the police station. I went to New City, NY and paid the extra fee. Was well worth it to get it it done immediately. Permit turn around for me was 43 days from drop off to pickup.

2 minutes ago, Kadayo said:

I was able to make an appointment for fingerprinting the same day I dropped off my application at the police station. I went to New City, NY and paid the extra fee. Was well worth it to get it it done immediately. Permit turn around for me was 43 days from drop off to pickup.

Town or county? Just curious, Im at day 35 and feeling impatient.

I don't know if this is a general hack, or if I just got lucky, but after I was unable to book an appointment in NJ, I called the IdentoGO scheduling number.  They can look out more than the 7 days allowed by the website.   They still didn't show anything in NJ until mid-Oct.  He said the earliest available in Springfield was Oct 13.  So I reluctantly accepted an afternoon appointment in Chester, NY a week from now.  

I received the confirming email, clicked the 'reschedule' link, re-entered my NJ zip code, and suddenly there were a lot of open NJ appointments for firearms fingerprinting, 70 or 80 in Springfield, as early as tomorrow.   So I rescheduled for after work on Thursday.  Saved $40, an hour less driving, and I don't have to miss work.  

It may be that once you have an out-of-state appointment, and reschedule for NJ, the software interprets the out-of-state appointment to mean you don't live in NJ, and so it unlocks all of the appointments that had been hidden.

It's worth a try, if you are having trouble getting an appointment.  If it works for you, let us know!

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

I just got the call this afternoon from those fantastic Ladies working the customer facing office in the Firearms Department at Berkeley Township in Ocean...They sent my Permit Application over to the Judge today (I would assume bundled with apps from other gun owners).

I couldn't be happier with the Job they did in both support and time frame. I dropped my application off 8/5, was printed on 8/10. So about 6 weeks soup to nuts...Given what is going on with the flood of new permits based on the SC ruling, I'm very happy with the service they provided.

Mixed emotions now, happy the first phase is over but now the tough part. I hope Nappen and Dan say something about progress on the "no carry in car issue". On 9/11 at a seminar Nappen gave (I wasn't there) a friend reported Nappen was very, very, confident we would win over on this issue with an estimate of 3 week. Hope so!

On 9/19/2022 at 10:33 PM, IhateNJ said:

Oh please like the NJ republican party is really any better. What about that lardass whale Chris Christie? 
Or any of the other "republicans" that got voted in...they were prompt at putting an end to the crap with the loss of gun rights, right?

How exactly were they supposed to do that? Republicans haven't controlled N.J. state government since 2001- twenty one years..

Christie was the only republican gov since then and vetoed every crackpot gun law the dems tried to push through.

Thats about as good as it gets unless republicans win back the Senate, Assembly and Governorship. Fat chance of that happening anytime soon with N.J. demographics and ballot box corruption in the major cities 

• Like 2

On 9/18/2022 at 7:13 PM, Golf battery said:

So.  60 days for me today.  Last week i checked. Usps mo had not been cashed yet.  Lets see how mercer county will handle this.  I think ill refuse a restricted ptc if that happens.   Im ready for mass litigation. Thoughts on refusing it!!  

I guess anjprc strike force and schmutter read my post :rolleyes:  I will refuse a restricted permit

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Combat Auto said:

Mixed emotions now, happy the first phase is over but now the tough part. I hope Nappen and Dan say something about progress on the "no carry in car issue"

It's unfair to call it an "issue". Its a blatant violation of constitutional rights and an even more blatant attempt to poop on the Supreme Court ruling. 

1 minute ago, g17owner said:

It's unfair to call it an "issue". Its a blatant violation of constitutional rights and an even more blatant attempt to poop on the Supreme Court ruling. 

Of course, I think every know that...I want to know where we are with this. Now that it is with the Judge I'm going to call Nappens office tomorrow to find out, they are on retainer to handle quick Q&A from members of ANJRPC.

24 minutes ago, Lostboy said:

I'm telling you when I did it they had very few appointments, I showed up and there was no one there. Place was literally empty. All the employees were sitting around on their phones. 

I believe it.   The IdentoGO guy on the phone told me that no NJ locations accept walk-ins, but I recall one or two others on this thread saying they had managed to walk in.

4 hours ago, g17owner said:

Don't overthink it. Pay the extra $40 and do it in either PA or NY the next day. There are some in this thread who have done out of state prints and already have their permit.

I did mine out of state and no problems. Still waiting on the permit but the detective in my town told me he got the prints back and all was good. 

PA appointment, NJ address, $40 out of state fee.

I got my prints done in the Bronx.  Lousy area to go to, but got the job done.  There were no appointments in Jersey at all.  

2 hours ago, Golf battery said:

I guess anjprc strike force and schmutter read my post :rolleyes:  I will refuse a restricted permit

Why refuse it?  Isn’t that counterproductive?  Get the permit and let the lawyers fight it out.  I’m sure amendments will follow later after it shakes out.  We’re not going to get perfection out of the gate.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Combat Auto said:

I signed up for LawShield last week, at $130 a year I just couldn't resist...But are you implying that LawShield is also participating in NJ to get rid of these carry-restrictions (I didn't think they get involved in such things)?

Evan Nappen is a participating lawyer with Texas Law Shield.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, LeaveNJ said:

Why refuse it?  Isn’t that counterproductive?  Get the permit and let the lawyers fight it out.  I’m sure amendments will follow later after it shakes out.  We’re not going to get perfection out of the gate.  

No its not.  Im not one to cower down or let someone trample on me.  Im no ones bitch.  Bull headed     F them lefties 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LeaveNJ said:

Not at all. At first thought, your instinct might be to think "finally, i got a NJ carry permit!!!, ill accept it no matter what". However, with those restrictions, it has the same effect as simply not having one. Most of us in NJ use cars for transport, not bus and train, at least not the same way people do in NYC. Most of our errands and little trips are in a car. None of us are going to carry to the car, trunk it, arrive at our destination, untrunk it and holster up.

Not to mention, constantly repeating that process with a loaded and chambered firearm on a regular basis greatly increases our chance of a negligent discharge. In all aspects of life, when some process becomes so routine, we get more comfortable and pay less attention to what we're doing. It's kinda like how most guys can change TV channels with the remote without even looking. Sometimes we accidentally turn on CNN when we really intended to watch Fox news. And while a negligent discharge can plausibly be blamed on the processes we are required to follow due to these restrictions and will look bad on the judges that issued them, it WILL look bad on us too.

Its beyond ridiculous. They are restrictions without justification and a literal nullification of our permit. 

When the judges or prosecutors coming up with these restrictions are made to answer as to their reasoning when issuing these restrictions, I can't imagine they will have a good or believable or logical bit of explanation.

But the point is, we cant allow this to be "commonly accepted".

Think about the AR15.... It was neither around nor a conceivable thought at the time the second amendment was written. BUT, they are so commonly owned and in use in the 2A community that it will be hard to ban them. There is a "common use" doctrine if I recall. I don't remember if that was from the DC or Chicago case. HOWEVER, doctrine like that can work both ways. We can't allow these restrictions to be "commonly accepted" or there is some risk they could be construed as acceptable by the courts.

And think about the way the courts work:

• We fight it at the NJ Supreme Court level and likely lose... bc its NJ
  • We appeal to federal courts. I don't think the courts in this circuit are 2A friendly from what I recall. We lose there too.
  • We try to get this heard before the Supreme Court. - Here's the thing. The SCOTUS picks and chooses what cases they hear. They are 9 justices with finite capacity. They cannot possibly hear all cases that are proposed. There's actually a process by which they choose which cases they hear and even though conservative leaning now, they don't often hear gun cases. If they don't hear this case, I believe we are bound by the decisions of the lower courts.

Lets not go there.

DON'T ACCEPT IT. For your own good and that of the rest of the NJ 2A community.

• Like 2

Here’s the deal.  The restrictions are not reasonable.  There is no consistency between counties.  It’s a total cluster.  Legal challenges are in the works regarding these restrictions.  Any reasonable court will overturn this BS.  You can go ahead and pull your app, deny the restrictions, etc, but I’ll get mine.  Several months down the road, this will all be worked out.  Meanwhile, you’ll still be holding your app in your hand, your qualifications will expire in six months, and you’ll be back to square one.  An appeals court will order the AG to issue an amendment to drop the car carry restriction, and current permit holders will be happy campers.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, LeaveNJ said:

Here’s the deal.  The restrictions are not reasonable.  There is no consistency between counties.  It’s a total cluster.  Legal challenges are in the works regarding these restrictions.  Any reasonable court will overturn this BS.  You can go ahead and pull your app, deny the restrictions, etc, but I’ll get mine.  Several months down the road, this will all be worked out.  Meanwhile, you’ll still be holding your app in your hand, your qualifications will expire in six months, and you’ll be back to square one.  An appeals court will order the AG to issue an amendment to drop the car carry restriction, and current permit holders will be happy campers.  

There's no guarantee of that. And legal history in this part of the country is NOT on our side. You're just so excited to finally have your driver's license you'll agree to drive a car with three wheels. 

And don't get me wrong, I understand your thought process. I don't like to wait either. But I do weigh the options. I'll save a little more money and get that car with four wheels.

2 minutes ago, g17owner said:

There's no guarantee of that. And history in this part of the country is NOT on our side. You're just so excited to finally have your license you'll agree to drive a car with three wheels. 

And don't get me wrong, I understand your thought process. I don't like to wait either. But I do weigh the options. I'll save a little more money and get that car with four wheels.

I just don’t get flustered by this stuff.  Some counties are doing whatever they can to turn people away and delay the process.  My thinking is screw the court, give me my permit, and I’ll be the one laughing when they get bitch slapped for trying to impose unreasonable and unsafe restrictions.  The courts know this won’t hold up, but will do anything to appease the lefties.  They can then say well at least we tried.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LeaveNJ said:

I just don’t get flustered by this stuff.  Some counties are doing whatever they can to turn people away and delay the process.  My thinking is screw the court, give me my permit, and I’ll be the one laughing when they get bitch slapped for trying to impose unreasonable and unsafe restrictions.  The courts know this won’t hold up, but will do anything to appease the lefties.  They can then say well at least we tried.  

I don't disagree with you, at all. You may very well be right. But, I won't take it for granted.

This is our one shot to get it right or we could be F'd for the next 100 years. As such, that would be my reasoning for refusal or pull the app or whatever. And the lefties, as malicious and hateful as they are, can be somewhat calculating. Its a calculated hate.

History has proven that truth and "right" does not always equal "win" and "justice". Otherwise, justifiable need would've been thrown out ages ago.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, g17owner said:

I don't disagree with you, at all. You may very well be right. But, I won't take it for granted.

This is our one shot to get it right or we could be F'd for the next 100 years. As such, that would be my reasoning for refusal or pull the app or whatever. And the lefties, as malicious and hateful as they are, can be somewhat calculating. Its a calculated hate.

History has proven that truth and "right" does not always equal "win" and "justice". Otherwise, justifiable need would've been thrown out ages ago.

The 2A attorneys are going to paint the following picture for the court, and after which, the court will find in our favor.  

A PTC holder parks in a mall parking lot, opens his trunk, removes his concealed carry gun, unloads it, leans into his trunk, and locks everything up.  

Four potential outcomes:

1) While disarming himself, unable to focus on his surroundings, he is jumped by a bad guy, forced to give up the gun, and potentially beaten up or even worse.  Now a stolen gun is out on the streets.  

2) Car is broken into and a stolen gun is on the streets.  

3) The bad guy follows the good guy home, jumps him, forces him into his house, and robs other guns the guy may have.  More stolen guns on the street.  

4) Permit holder forgets his gun is in the trunk.   Car either gets broken into, or car gets serviced and gun is taken from trunk.  

Common outcome is that the stupid restrictions result in more stolen guns on the street.  In the interest of public safety, the restrictions are rescinded.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, PoppaPops said:

And if restrictions get amended a few months later, will you restart the entire process of applying?

I’m sure the attorneys for the NY Bruen case have or will reach out to SCOTUS formally and say that NY is in violation of the order. Sometimes the court will direct the loosing party to come into compliance. NY & NJ are being cute and Justice Thomas has been chomping at the bit over the courts not taking any 2A cases since McDonald in 2010. He may have something to say since this is all settled constitutionally.

17 minutes ago, PoppaPops said:

And if restrictions get amended a few months later, will you restart the entire process of applying?

Think about your question.  We have no idea what the final outcome will be as of this point.  But yes.  If i have to.  I will   Why do you phrase it that way.  I answered you.  Please answer me. As to why you asked it that way.