CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

1 hour ago, 10X said:

And now, I wait.

At least your in Morris and looks  like they are issuing permits.  take a look at Mercer, tomorrow will be 70 calendar days or 49 work days for me. Looks like half the counties dragging their feet according the Krdshrk's map.

NJ Counties 9-19-22.png

• FacePalm 1

10 hours ago, FXDX said:

At least your in Morris and looks  like they are issuing permits.  take a look at Mercer, tomorrow will be 70 calendar days or 49 work days for me. Looks like half the counties dragging their feet according the Krdshrk's map.

NJ Counties 9-19-22.png

Burlington and Camden should be RED..none have been given out as the courts "are waiting on guidelines" 

47 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

I believe that we will be updating Mercer soon.  There's a forum member who contacted me with an update the other day, but I don't want to call them out so as to respect their privacy.

then again there is always Sunday with Mr C's GFH podcast which seems to be the most reliable source. He mentioned Mercer and others counties on the 9/4 or 9/11 podcast but nothing last week so we'll see... 

18 minutes ago, FXDX said:

then again there is always Sunday with Mr C's GFH podcast which seems to be the most reliable source. He mentioned Mercer and others counties on the 9/4 or 9/11 podcast but nothing last week so we'll see... 

My info is of last night.

19 minutes ago, YankeeSC said:

Guys the purpose of this thread is to express one's experience in applying for a carry permit, let's try to stick to the topic please.

True, my mistake I thought I posted in the correct location. I have removed the post and placed it where it belongs.

• Like 2

What I have noticed too, is there is a difference in response between the police and the courts. Some courts more open to issuing then others. Some police more open and helpful in accepting applications then others as well. Huge mismatch.

Also one should take a lot at the pollution densities of each county and the balance of one county with another county and how they rate red or green.

one thing I would like to point out, is several have mentioned a green county that should be red.

Green counties are green because there have been permits issued in those counties. Or at least reported as issued. Where as a red county has yet to report any permits being issued yet.

Example… Salem county is reported to have a population of about 64k,

48k registered voters. Of which 31% are democrat, and 30% are Republican. 

However their state local senator and both local state reps for their state government are all Republican. 

That being said, Salem county has yet to issue a permit to carry.

• Disagree 1

5 hours ago, TDIguy said:

The Mods should probably boot this into its own thread. That said everyone knew it was coming and my only question would be if/when enacted will there be a carve out for the elites that already have their cc permits, nuff said...

14 hours ago, samiam said:

Find me someone (or evidence thereof) who has been issued in Cape May County. I am in a FB group "Cape May County CCW" where convincing evidence (direct, not hearsay) has been presented indicating that hearings are to be held for the first group of applicants on October 7 in Cape May County Superior Court before Judge J. Christopher GIbson. 

Not that we needed it but that likely ends the consensus from earlier on (here on the forum) that permits must be granted in 60 calendar days. I’m lucky to get a P2P in our town within 60 calendar days so I knew going in I wouldn’t likely hear back until October.

Take the map out of the equation and its obvious towns & counties are doing what they always do which is their own thing based on the wiggle room the state allows them.

So your Cape May County Oct 7  date will be 84 calendar days for myself or 59 works days which is likely the actual 60 day time period in use (like it or not) by counties that are slow walking the process. They could probably even cite a grace period for themselves when it goes beyond 60 work days so buckle-up.

18 minutes ago, FXDX said:

Not that we needed it but that likely ends the consensus from earlier on (here on the forum) that permits must be granted in 60 calendar days....  They could probably even cite a grace period for themselves when it goes beyond 60 work days so buckle-up.

I don't think anyone has ever said you should have a permit in your hand within 60 days.

If you read the statute (N.J.S.A. 2C:58-4), you submit your application to the local chief of police (or local NJSP barracks  if you don't have a PD or are from out of State). The investigation by that agency must be complete and your application denied for cause or forwarded to the County Superior Court for approval within 60 days.  Some say the 60 day clock starts when you submit the application to the agency, some say the clock starts once your fingerprint results are delivered to the agency and your application is truly complete.

Once it arrives at the court, most are provided to the County Prosecutor's Office for review.  Once the PO has no objection, the court typically issues the permit. If there are any hiccups, the judge can hold a hearing.  

There is a JAD court directive #06-19 (not a law or reg) that judges should review permit to carry applications submitted at least once every 30 days.  A PO should state any objections they have within 14 days, and a permit should be issued or denied with 30 days.

In theory, the process should take no more than 90 days, start to finish, notwithstanding "extraordinary circumstances." 

While I am sure the "system" suspected this as coming, they weren't officially notified until June 24, 2022.  As a result, the system, from the local PD to the Judge, had previously dealt with a small handful of permit applications - mostly from armored car guards and security officers who presented with a letter of need.  I don't think it is unreasonable for these agencies to develop new systems to handle the influx of permit applications flooding the system. Be patient, calling and complaining is not going to get them processed any quicker - they know what they need to do.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, FXDX said:

Not that we needed it but that likely ends the consensus from earlier on (here on the forum) that permits must be granted in 60 calendar days. I’m lucky to get a P2P in our town within 60 calendar days so I knew going in I wouldn’t likely hear back until October.

Take the map out of the equation and its obvious towns & counties are doing what they always do which is their own thing based on the wiggle room the state allows them.

So your Cape May County Oct 7  date will be 84 calendar days for myself or 59 works days which is likely the actual 60 day time period in use (like it or not) by counties that are slow walking the process. They could probably even cite a grace period for themselves when it goes beyond 60 work days so buckle-up.

The applicant must agree to any "grace period" beyond the 60 days, as per the statute for carry permit apps. 

I would say the 60 days starts once a completed application is in the hands of the administrative agent(PD, NJSP).. that would mean prints are done etc. 

15 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

The applicant must agree to any "grace period" beyond the 60 days, as per the statute for carry permit apps. 

I would say the 60 days starts once a completed application is in the hands of the administrative agent(PD, NJSP).. that would mean prints are done etc. 

Again my point was towns & counties are doing their own thing. It’s a fairly simple overview and if people want to read more into then that then that's on them. Time limits mentioned in the statute are irrelevant if the towns are  being proactive and punching out permits well in advance of timelines.

On 9/22/2022 at 2:22 PM, TexasLTC said:

Has anyone her who has applied t the NJSP Woodstown (Salem County) location either received their permits, or heard anything? 

Only thing I have heard is that my references have been contacted and interviewed on Monday. And that there were only 4 applications ahead of mine for them to be sent to the court for final approval. 

Anyone heard what Salem county judges are doing? Are they issuing? Holding? Hearings? H. I submitted my application, the Officer told me that IF there was a hearing it would be via zoom. Since partially I am a non-resident applicant from Texas.

I don’t know why they need to have me at the hearing. What else do they need to know.

Top Shot Development Group was one of two organizations doing the quals for people at the Quinton Sportsmen's Club.  They just posted on facebook yesterday that they just had customers from Salem County get their permits issued.  The post does not contain any other details like restrictions, court appearance requirements by zoom or in-person, or what specific PD they applied through.  

20 hours ago, FXDX said:

The Mods should probably boot this into its own thread. That said everyone knew it was coming and my only question would be if/when enacted will there be a carve out for the elites that already have their cc permits, nuff said...

Is this bill passed already? Or its under consideration?