CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

45 minutes ago, COD said:

6 months according the NJSP instructions:

https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/pdf/Permit_To_Carry_Instructions.pdf

thanks man. i got stupidly  busy at the shop, and haven't had ANY time to worry about it....now i'm getting caught up, so need to get back moving on it.

6 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

thanks man. i got stupidly  busy at the shop, and haven't had ANY time to worry about it....now i'm getting caught up, so need to get back moving on it.

I handed in my application last week and got finger printed yesterday so I understand that life sometimes gets in the way of what we're trying to accomplish.  Glad I could help. 

Maplewood Township to Modify Cannabis Zoning and Establish Areas where No Firearms May be Carried

Maplewood Township Committee Meeting, September 20, 2022Photo Credit: TAPinto SOMA 

PublishedSeptember 24, 2022 at 11:17 PM

MAPLEWOOD, NJ - During the September 20th Township Committee Meeting, there was discussion regarding a revision to the Cannabis Regulations and the establishment of Sensitive Zones where no firearms may be carried.

The Township and State of New Jersey have approved two businesses to operate in Maplewood Village as Micro Cannabis outlets. Under the rules in the current Maplewood ordinance the two, my CBD Organics, and the Canna Boss Lady, the two businesses locations do not meet the 500-foot distance requirement.  

The Committee agreed to revise ordinance 22-3055 to specify that in Maplewood Village only, the ordinance will have a provision that micro cannabis businesses must be located a minimum of 100 feet apart. This revision will have its first read at the October 3 Township Committee Meeting and be approved at the following meeting.

The discussion then addressed the need to specify areas of restriction due to the Supreme Court’s decision regarding concealed carry legislation for fire arms. It was decided to model the restricted areas based upon the sensitive areas specified by New York State. The discussion among the members of the Township Committee, with comments from Township Attorney Roger Desiderio, created the following list of sensitive areas:

Parks and playgrounds, government buildings, schools, Houses of Worship, voting places, doctor’s offices and clinics, nursery schools, preschools and camps, disability facilities, homeless shelters and group homes, jitneys, theaters, public events, as well as grocery and retail stores occupying 2500 square feet or greater. Desiderio will create the proper document for approval by the Township Committee.

Mods if this is posted in the wrong place please move it.....Thank you

• Sad 1
  • FacePalm 1

It's been 60 days since I submitted my application with local PD, so I'm going to follow up with a call and e-mail tomorrow.

I reached out at 30 days and was told there were "a lot of applications in front of mine" but otherwise it's been radio silence.

I'll mention that 60 days has passed, so my app should have been signed and sent over to the court, but otherwise I don't think there's a lot for me to say.

The response should be interesting.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2022 at 10:21 AM, JRT said:

I don't think anyone has ever said you should have a permit in your hand within 60 days.

If you read the statute (N.J.S.A. 2C:58-4), you submit your application to the local chief of police (or local NJSP barracks  if you don't have a PD or are from out of State). The investigation by that agency must be complete and your application denied for cause or forwarded to the County Superior Court for approval within 60 days.  Some say the 60 day clock starts when you submit the application to the agency, some say the clock starts once your fingerprint results are delivered to the agency and your application is truly complete.

Once it arrives at the court, most are provided to the County Prosecutor's Office for review.  Once the PO has no objection, the court typically issues the permit. If there are any hiccups, the judge can hold a hearing.  

There is a JAD court directive #06-19 (not a law or reg) that judges should review permit to carry applications submitted at least once every 30 days.  A PO should state any objections they have within 14 days, and a permit should be issued or denied with 30 days.

In theory, the process should take no more than 90 days, start to finish, notwithstanding "extraordinary circumstances." 

While I am sure the "system" suspected this as coming, they weren't officially notified until June 24, 2022.  As a result, the system, from the local PD to the Judge, had previously dealt with a small handful of permit applications - mostly from armored car guards and security officers who presented with a letter of need.  I don't think it is unreasonable for these agencies to develop new systems to handle the influx of permit applications flooding the system. Be patient, calling and complaining is not going to get them processed any quicker - they know what they need to do.

that statute is where the 60 day thing came from.

""

c. Investigation and approval. Each application shall in the first instance be submitted to the chief police officer of the municipality in which the applicant resides, or to the superintendent, (1) if the applicant is an employee of an armored car company, or (2) if there is no chief police officer in the municipality where the applicant resides, or (3) if the applicant does not reside in this State. The chief police officer, or the superintendent, as the case may be, shall cause the fingerprints of the applicant to be taken and compared with any and all records maintained by the municipality, the county in which it is located, the State Bureau of Identification and the Federal Bureau of Identification. He shall also determine and record a complete description of each handgun the applicant intends to carry.

No application shall be approved by the chief police officer or the superintendent unless the applicant demonstrates that he is not subject to any of the disabilities set forth in subsection c. of N.J.S.2C:58-3, that he is thoroughly familiar with the safe handling and use of handguns, and that he has a justifiable need to carry a handgun.

Each application form shall be accompanied by a written certification of justifiable need to carry a handgun, which shall be under oath and, in the case of a private citizen, shall specify in detail the urgent necessity for self-protection, as evidenced by specific threats or previous attacks which demonstrate a special danger to the applicant's life that cannot be avoided by means other than by issuance of a permit to carry a handgun. Where possible, the applicant shall corroborate the existence of any specific threats or previous attacks by reference to reports of the incidents to the appropriate law enforcement agencies.

If the application is not approved by the chief police officer or the superintendent within 60 days of filing, it shall be deemed to have been approved, unless the applicant agrees to an extension of time in writing.""

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeL417 said:

I been slowly purging my facebook ever since Uncle Joe got into office for these very reasons. That is some bullshit!

Honestly it's all archived anyway. Theres probably a lot more to this story. Regardless though it's SOMETHING out of Middlesex County. 

Just now, Cheflife15 said:

I'm just gunna delete mine until after it's done. 

That looks even worse. I'm not panicking. Worst case scenario Law Shield has some work to do. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Kdin1 said:

My MONEY ORDER has been cashed not sure who Atlantic County Court or NJSP.

Anyone from atlantic county received their permit?

someone called over there last week and was told no one has been issued.  they are in a pile 200 deep. Judge D’Arcy is supposed to start issuing 10/6 and then every Thursday until caught up.  Mine was brought over 9/9 and my MO was cashed 9/15. 

43 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

how'd they get his farcebook?

Same way most get fired for posting on facebook, or arrested etc. 
Probably posting crap on facebook thinking isnt going to come back to haunt them and having a public profile. 
I dont use social media crap so this coming back to bite me isnt an issue. 

Facebook doing police work and HR work since its inception. 

• Sad 1

Sussex approved a batch including mine. They’ve been sent to various PDs. Unlike Mr Stu’s they actually sent direct to the Barracks and not to FIU. Cautiously optimistic. Next to get permit and order in hand to see if it has any of the restrictions. 

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

how'd they get his farcebook?

The amount of stuff I see posted on FB, I wonder how people don’t get in trouble for it. In today’s world if you aren’t comfortable with a post being up on a billboard, don’t put them on social media. Better to keep your mouth shut, your job, life and your guns than exercise “free speech” on Zuckerberg’s private property. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, RadioGunner said:

Sussex approved a batch including mine. They’ve been sent to various PDs. Unlike Mr Stu’s they actually sent direct to the Barracks and not to FIU. Cautiously optimistic. Next to get permit and order in hand to see if it has any of the restrictions. 

congrats!

they tell you when it was sent out? or when it will be ready for pickup?

42 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

Russian hacking.

In my OPINION, if this even happened as stated, it was because this gentleman already had an investigative file on him with the county PO that contained questionable information --- in my OPINION, there is no way any county PO in NJ has the time and/or resources to do a deep dive like this for several hundred applicants in 30-35 days.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

13 minutes ago, RadioGunner said:

Sussex approved a batch including mine.

When you find out who the judge is, and what if any restrictions are on your permit, please post!

In the Sussex County thread too please.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lostboy said:

Did anyone see this happy horseshit?

FB_IMG_1664213590678.jpg

I had an expungement before I was able to get an FID card and successfully applied many times thru the years for pistol permits. I'm really debating withdrawing my PTC application since I had a DV case (no violence)with my daughters mother 15yrs ago and from my understanding PO's have the ability to pull these old files up and DENY. I'd rather withdraw than have a nasty denial on my record that I have to put down for every application, ughhhh cant wait to move down south. 

• Agree 2