CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

14 minutes ago, JRT said:

In my OPINION, if this even happened as stated, it was because this gentleman already had an investigative file on him with the county PO that contained questionable information --- in my OPINION, there is no way any county PO in NJ has the time and/or resources to do a deep dive like this for several hundred applicants in 30-35 days.

Here's the scoop https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0fQoHhwCHxeL1cUcTZmPXRfYT1URKJU714k5g772ziizAPgqUsfHmRWQzN4CGZCg1l&id=371903659656377

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

I guess he doesn't have lawshield? I wonder if they can see my restriction history. One time I did 30 days for saying I hoped Joe Rogan skull punched Cenk Uhgar after Cenk challenged him to a fight. I'd hate to be a mma or boxing fan on FB. I'm even careful commenting on hockey now. 

Just now, Lostboy said:

I guess he doesn't have lawshield? I wonder if they can see my restriction history. One time I did 30 days for saying I hoped Joe Rogan skull punched Cenk Uhgar after Cenk challenged him to a fight. I'd hate to be a mma or boxing fan on FB. I'm even careful commenting on hockey now. 

Did you read the story? The prosecutor already knew about the post because it was the cause of a complaint and investigation when it happened.

I don't think anybody is going through Facebook logs to see if anybody is a repeat visitor to FB jail.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

Did you read the story? The prosecutor already knew about the post because it was the cause of a complaint and investigation when it happened.

I don't think anybody is going through Facebook logs to see if anybody is a repeat visitor to FB jail.

Yeah I read it. It said they're looking for a lawyer. Isn't that the whole point of lawshield?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lostboy said:

Yeah I read it. It said they're looking for a lawyer. Isn't that the whole point of lawshield?

LAWSHIELD is worthless.. I called them to see about withdrawing and using my lawyer privileges. They  put me on the phone the next day with an Evan Nappen lawyer and he flat out kept saying read the fine print we only advise and he didn't even advise me just said if you see the writing on the wall then withdraw...and we charge way more than 3k (that was the price I threw out there) for a denial hearing or even coming to the hearing before getting the PTC. whats the point for US lawshield again!? pffft 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, CapGuns&SnapsKid said:

LAWSHIELD is worthless.. I called them to see about withdrawing and using my lawyer privileges. They  put me on the phone the next day with an Evan Nappen lawyer and he flat out kept saying read the fine print we only advise and he didn't even advise me just said if you see the writing on the wall then withdraw...and we charge way more than 3k (that was the price I threw out there) for a denial hearing or even coming to the hearing before getting the PTC. whats the point for US lawshield again!? pffft 

Jesus. I always thought it was too good to be true, but I've heard good things about them. Sorry you had this experience. I figure if it's a high enough profile case they'd be doing it for free anyway. I am a member and hopefully I never need to experience this. 

39 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

Exactly.

Facebook is a red-herring in this case.

The police report over a domestic incident is the issue.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, CapGuns&SnapsKid said:

This is kind of alarming, as I would expect most of us, including myself, were under the assumption that Law Shield would step in to our defense regarding anything 2A related.. be it permit issues, domestic issues, etc...

Upon reading through their terms and conditions and their website.. it looks like they offer legal defense for cases regarding SELF DEFENSE and USE OF FORCE.

As a long time US Law Shield member, kind of disappointed, but still seems to be worth it for the time you may really have your back against the wall in either an SD or UOF situation.

I'm thinking about reaching out to get some clarification from them. 

SmartSelect_20220926_175042_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220926-174338_Samsung Internet.jpg

19 minutes ago, Lucky Lefty said:

This is kind of alarming, as I would expect most of us, including myself, were under the assumption that Law Shield would step in to our defense regarding anything 2A related.. be it permit issues, domestic issues, etc...

Upon reading through their terms and conditions and their website.. it looks like they offer legal defense for cases regarding SELF DEFENSE and USE OF FORCE.

As a long time US Law Shield member, kind of disappointed, but still seems to be worth it for the time you may really have your back against the wall in either an SD or UOF situation.

I'm thinking about reaching out to get some clarification from them. 

SmartSelect_20220926_175042_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220926-174338_Samsung Internet.jpg

"

Your Legal Service Contract also covers "Any incident where the Legal Service Contract Holder is criminally charged with a violation of N.J.S. 2C:39—3 or N.J.S. 2C:39—5 involving a firearm, weapon, ammunition or large capacity magazine …"

In other words, we cover criminal charges where it is alleged that you illegally possess firearms, ammo, or large capacity magazines. This is critical coverage every New Jersey gun owner needs."

Nappen asked them to include this as a condition of him signing on. 

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 6.21.17 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 45Doll said:

When you find out who the judge is, and what if any restrictions are on your permit, please post!

In the Sussex County thread too please.

I believe it was Judge Conforti, recalled from retirement. This has been practice in other counties as well - recall judges from retirement and assign them to sign permits. This is good as they don’t have the regular criminal caseload and can get through it, until the judges are removed from the process by the legislature. 

I will definitely post the restrictions. Dont worry! 

Just a heads up for Somerset County NJ CCW applicants. As of today zero permits have been signed off and issued by the county. I have no idea why this is so, but speculation is that the county is waiting for the AG's office for comments and guidelines. Other counties have also not issued carry permits so the tactic may be to wait until the last minute. If judges do not sign off then where does this all go?

Burlington County Update:

Had everythng completed and Police sent in packet (They were awesome in dealing with this process) on Monday the 22nd of August.

Just got contacted by my Police Department yesterday the 26th of September to update me on my permit process.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Judge contacted the Police Department and requested actual finger prints and actual criminal history report (if any).

My Police Department has request in to State Police on how to handle since they cannot send sensitive stuff like that through the mail. 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I guess the police doing a background investigation and the prosecutor doing the same is not good enough for the Judge?

My record is clean as the driven snow so I have no worries but the checking, double checking and the triple checking is a bit too much guys and gals!

The STATE of New Jersey needs to look at Florida or Utah's process and increase it from a 2 year permit to 5 year permit.

This is such a waste of time, money and effort for everyone.

(But that's the plan, isn't it?)

SEMPER FI!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CapGuns&SnapsKid said:

I had an expungement before I was able to get an FID card and successfully applied many times thru the years for pistol permits. I'm really debating withdrawing my PTC application since I had a DV case (no violence)with my daughters mother 15yrs ago and from my understanding PO's have the ability to pull these old files up and DENY. I'd rather withdraw than have a nasty denial on my record that I have to put down for every application, ughhhh cant wait to move down south. 

If it ended in a dismissal and there was only a TRO (temporary restraining order) then it shouldnt matter or count against you!

If there was a convitiction of DV, then that would be a different story as that is now a criminal record.. But i doubt you would have a FID or purchase permits if that was the case. I believe ANY conviction of DV disqualifies you.

1 hour ago, eyeinstine said:

If it ended in a dismissal and there was only a TRO (temporary restraining order) then it shouldnt matter or count against you!

If there was a convitiction of DV, then that would be a different story as that is now a criminal record.. But i doubt you would have a FID or purchase permits if that was the case. I believe ANY conviction of DV disqualifies you.

^^^This

I had a TRO for a week during my divorce. When I was denied in 2018 the judge even mentioned it and said it wasn't a concern. He denied me for lack of JN only.

This go around I didn't have a hearing and have (still) yet to see my permit and the accompanying court order, but I have been told by the court and the NJSP FIU that it was approved and is still (11 days later) in the NJSP inter-office mail system somewhere. I have been bugging the NJSP to find it as I really need it for next week. I have a 3 day class in south Jersey and it would save me about 6 hours of driving if I can take my gun to a hotel rather than have to drive my gun home every night.

36 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

^^^This

I had a TRO for a week during my divorce. When I was denied in 2018 the judge even mentioned it and said it wasn't a concern. He denied me for lack of JN only.

This go around I didn't have a hearing and have (still) yet to see my permit and the accompanying court order, but I have been told by the court and the NJSP FIU that it was approved and is still (11 days later) in the NJSP inter-office mail system somewhere. I have been bugging the NJSP to find it as I really need it for next week. I have a 3 day class in south Jersey and it would save me about 6 hours of driving if I can take my gun to a hotel rather than have to drive my gun home every night.

Yea its a head scratcher... cause judges can literally do what they want since they have overall power and can still deny you off "public safety" In Bergen County a judge denied a FID holder a PTC because of a careless driving ticket. IDK if you guys been hearing the stories coming out across the state on the court level. I can't imagine having a denial then the motion to cease my firearms (thousands ontop of thousands of dollars worth) then having to hire an attorney for 3-5k cause lawshield doesn't cover it and having to fight in court for over a year. Just cause they CAN at the flick of a wrist and pen, when it costs me time and money. 

2 hours ago, eyeinstine said:

I really don't remember (2008) I believe it was a RO, I  know that we went to court and dropped the whole ordeal (2010)and its the same judge who is going over our PTC applications. my expungement was in (2016) 

19 hours ago, Lostboy said:

19 hours ago, CapGuns&SnapsKid said:

19 hours ago, Lostboy said:

Jesus. I always thought it was too good to be true, but I've heard good things about them. Sorry you had this experience. I figure if it's a high enough profile case they'd be doing it for free anyway. I am a member and hopefully I never need to experience this. 

US Lawshield covers legal representation if you are charged with a weapon related crime. They are not an attorney on retainer for anything else.

If you want a lawyer on retainer, retain a lawyer.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

US Lawshield covers legal representation if you are charged with a weapon related crime. They are not an attorney on retainer for anything else.

If you want a lawyer on retainer, retain a lawyer.

Agreed, but it seemed as though they were interested in helping with this process should trouble arise, evidence confirming this was posted in this thread. 

1 hour ago, Lostboy said:

Agreed, but it seemed as though they were interested in helping with this process should trouble arise, evidence confirming this was posted in this thread. 

Their attorneys are fighting on our behalf for all of the carry garbage that is going on right now.  They are the ones challenging this stuff in court.  I have US Law Shied in the event that I ever need a defense attorney if I’m ever charged in a self defense situation.  I don’t expect that they take my calls and help me through the CCW permit process.  Even if I never have to use them, I consider the monthly cost a contribution to the cause.  These folks don’t work for free.  If you want free advice, go to one of their seminars.  Twelve bucks a month is a small price to pay for self defense insurance.  Set your expectations accordingly.  

Some of their attorneys (like Napan) are also on retainer to ANJRPC...I am not sure if they are being retained by LawShield to fight the carry issues we are dealing with or any crazy gun laws we deal with in NJ. Alternative l am (sure) they are retained by ANJRPC to fight the carry issues.

As others stated, LawShield cover SD events and equipment issues. I do not think they have a mission to correct bad carry laws explicit to NJ. As such, Napen wears two hates one for LS and one for ANJRPC. Of course there are synergies here which he can leverage.

ANJRPC is the best proponent we have here, not the NRA, and not LS, imo. Although I am a member of all 3, all my add--on donations go to ANJRPC - they are vital to our survival long-term as gun owners in NJ.

Still I joined LS a few weeks ago (in essence they are on "retainer" to their members for SD/equipment charges), I reasoned, for 130$ a year I think it is foolish not to.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Combat Auto said:

Some of their attorneys (like Napan) are also on retainer to ANJRPC...I am not sure if they are being retained by LawShield to fight the carry issues we are dealing with or any crazy gun laws we deal with in NJ. Alternative l am (sure) they are retained by ANJRPC to fight the carry issues.

As others stated, LawShield cover SD events and equipment issues. I do not think they have a mission to correct bad carry laws explicit to NJ. As such, Napen wears two hates one for LS and one for ANJRPC. Of course there are synergies here which he can leverage.

ANJRPC is the best proponent we have here, not the NRA, and not LS, imo. Although I am a member of all 3, all my add--on donations go to ANJRPC - they are vital to our survival long-term as gun owners in NJ.

Still I joined LS a few weeks ago (in essence they are on "retainer" to their members for SD/equipment charges), I reasoned, for 130$ a year I think it is foolish not to.

Smart man!  It’s a small price to pay for defending yourself in a crackpot state like NJ.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Combat Auto said:

1 hour ago, LeaveNJ said:

Their attorneys are fighting on our behalf for all of the carry garbage that is going on right now.  They are the ones challenging this stuff in court.  I have US Law Shied in the event that I ever need a defense attorney if I’m ever charged in a self defense situation.  I don’t expect that they take my calls and help me through the CCW permit process.  Even if I never have to use them, I consider the monthly cost a contribution to the cause.  These folks don’t work for free.  If you want free advice, go to one of their seminars.  Twelve bucks a month is a small price to pay for self defense insurance.  Set your expectations accordingly.  

I agree with the cost, that's why I joined. 

• Agree 1

Another update:

NJSP FIU received my permit from the court on Sept 16 and put it in the NJSP inter-office mail to NJSP Washington Station the same day.

It still isn't there. I asked the trooper that answered the phone to see if she could call around and see where the heck it had got to which she agreed to do. While she was doing that, I reached out the the Detective Sgt. at the FIU that I had spoken with previously to see if there was anything he could do.

The Det. Sgt. texted me back after a few hours to let me know that he had traced my permit to NJSP Sussex! Flipping Sussex! He is getting a trooper to drive it back down to Washington so hopefully I'll have it in my hand in the next day or two.

• Like 4
  • FacePalm 1

11 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

Another update:

NJSP FIU received my permit from the court on Sept 16 and put it in the NJSP inter-office mail to NJSP Washington Station the same day.

It still isn't there. I asked the trooper that answered the phone to see if she could call around and see where the heck it had got to which she agreed to do. While she was doing that, I reached out the the Detective Sgt. at the FIU that I had spoken with previously to see if there was anything he could do.

The Det. Sgt. texted me back after a few hours to let me know that he had traced my permit to NJSP Sussex! Flipping Sussex! He is getting a trooper to drive it back down to Washington so hopefully I'll have it in my hand in the next day or two.

As screwed up as that whole possibly intentional mixup was, you've at least gotten what few people have ever gotten, a NJ Carry Permit. Hopefully you will have it in the next day or two. Congrats! 

• Like 1