CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

21 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

The Det. Sgt. texted me back after a few hours to let me know that he had traced my permit to NJSP Sussex!

If you'd let me know, I could have run over to Augusta for you.

"My name is Stu. How do you do? Where's my permit?" :D

Actually, they probably traced to your old address. The all-seeing, all-knowing NJSP.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

If you'd let me know, I could have run over to Augusta for you.

"My name is Stu. How do you do? Where's my permit?" :D

Actually, they probably traced to your old address.

He said it was at Sussex Station, not Augusta.

The NJSP inter-office mail system is a joke - they even call it the "pony express" themselves. It works by whatever trooper is heading roughly the right direction to carry the mail to the next nearest Station or Barracks. When the Trooper from Washington called around she was told that there was "a lot of mail" for Washington at the Totowa Barracks.

Maybe it's just me and my luck. Before FARS, there were 2 separate sets of PtPP about a year apart that both went missing between the FIU and Washington. Maybe Sussex has a room full of mail that they can barely shut the door to any more.

ETA: Whenever I have had to deal with the FIU they have been great. They promptly re-issued the PtPP that went missing both times and sent them via USPS. This time around, the DSFC there has been great too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

Yes, that's it. 'Sussex Station' is otherwise known as the 'Augusta Barracks'.

It's my American accent.

Aha! I always just knew it as Augusta Barracks so assumed Sussex Station was somewhere the other side of Sussex the town. Is Sgt. Hollar still there doing the firearms stuff?

40 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

Another update:

NJSP FIU received my permit from the court on Sept 16 and put it in the NJSP inter-office mail to NJSP Washington Station the same day.

It still isn't there. I asked the trooper that answered the phone to see if she could call around and see where the heck it had got to which she agreed to do. While she was doing that, I reached out the the Detective Sgt. at the FIU that I had spoken with previously to see if there was anything he could do.

The Det. Sgt. texted me back after a few hours to let me know that he had traced my permit to NJSP Sussex! Flipping Sussex! He is getting a trooper to drive it back down to Washington so hopefully I'll have it in my hand in the next day or two.

Those troopers sound like good people. Congrats on your permit

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr.Stu said:

Aha! I always just knew it as Augusta Barracks so assumed Sussex Station was somewhere the other side of Sussex the town. Is Sgt. Hollar still there doing the firearms stuff?

He's gone. They have someone else now. He's great though. Got my last PPP in three weeks which is warp speed for NJSP.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CapGuns&SnapsKid said:

Yea its a head scratcher... cause judges can literally do what they want since they have overall power and can still deny you off "public safety" In Bergen County a judge denied a FID holder a PTC because of a careless driving ticket. IDK if you guys been hearing the stories coming out across the state on the court level. I can't imagine having a denial then the motion to cease my firearms (thousands ontop of thousands of dollars worth) then having to hire an attorney for 3-5k cause lawshield doesn't cover it and having to fight in court for over a year. Just cause they CAN at the flick of a wrist and pen, when it costs me time and money. 

What kind of DV incident did you have which you are so concerned with? Where you convicted of something, charge initially then the charge were dropped, or just a formal complaint with no charges?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RadioGunner said:

So given that I applied in early July, and expect my permit sometime this week, I guess I should start my renewal process in approximately 20 months to maintain continuous coverage.

It will have been incorporated into FARS by then. Hopefully not as slow.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, GlockityGlockGlock said:

18 hours ago....

SmartSelect_20220927_055011_Facebook.jpg

This is beyond infuriating.

If you want to protect residents from gun violence, let us protect ourselves from the criminals perpetuating the violence.

I would love to see statistics of legal gun owners committing crimes vs criminals/felons committing crimes with firearms. 

Or show me cases where someone with a carry permit in NJ committed a crime with their firearm.

How many NJ residents have to get gunned downed for their car, or their watch, or xyz before they finally acknowledge who is committing the gun crime in this state.

I wish there was a way to meet with these law makers and have rational discussion about their point of view and the citizens point of view.

Part of me wants to believe they are being sincere in trying to protect people, and are scared to waiver from their beliefs, as opposed to a power hungry government trying to subdue the public. Maybe that's just wishful thinking. Idk.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, just have to vent my frustration.

How don't they get that criminals would think twice or thrice about pulling a gun out on public transportation if they assumed there could several armed citizens on that bus or train.

God help NJ.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

Is Sgt. Hollar still there doing the firearms stuff?

No, he retired earlier this year. Sgt. Fedge took his place, and by all accounts is very competent and diligent.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just wanted to give update regarding Ocean County permits.

According to FB group Ocean County CCW, at least 2 more individuals received their permit this week, both have the court order attached with the 12 restrictions. Also saw someone from Westfield (I know, not OC) claiming to have received their permit this week with no restrictions or court order other than being told he can only carry the guns he qualified.

Some other info from Ocean County, one gentleman says he spoke with Ms Kimberly Nye at OCSC and was given his GP number which was #500 (actual gp number is GP-OCN-500-22), meaning the county has received  500+ PTC apps so far for 2022, and he claims she told him they are working on app #100, so he can expect his permit in 6 to 8 weeks as they work through the list.

I was just thinking about how this Ocean county judge appears to be discriminating against the entire county, saying they cannot receive the same permit as someone from bergen, or Warren County. She is also attaching this order with no court hearing.

If there are limitations placed on your PTC, is the judge not required to give justification as to why your permit must be issued differently than the next county's permit. I understand the statute allowing discretion to place limitations, but I could have sworn the judge had to explain to the applicant why these limitations are being placed on them.

I am aware strikeforce is on it, and CNJFO, and nappen.... but after receiving your Ocean county permit with the attached court order, couldn't you make a request to be seen by the judge to be given clarification for you limitations? Wouldn't the judge have to explain why you as an Ocean county resident must be treated differently than a Warren County resident? 

Just trying to think outside the box a bit here. My thoughts are they aren't requiring a hearing because they don't want to allow the order to be questioned, on record, by the applicant.

All in all, I'd expect the judges answer of "because I say so, I have the legal discretion, and public health and safety"... but for that to be on record could be very helpful.

Thoughts?

Thanks for reading my short novel btw.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

22 minutes ago, Lucky Lefty said:

According to FB group Ocean County CCW, at least 2 more individuals received their permit this week, both have the court order attached with the 12 restrictions. Also saw someone from Westfield (I know, not OC) claiming to have received their permit this week with no restrictions or court order other than being told he can only carry the guns he qualified.

Some other info from Ocean County, one gentleman says he spoke with Ms Kimberly Nye at OCSC and was given his GP number which was #500 (actual gp number is GP-OCN-500-22), meaning the county has received  500+ PTC apps so far for 2022, and he claims she told him they are working on app #100, so he can expect his permit in 6 to 8 weeks as they work through the list.

I was just thinking about how this Ocean county judge appears to be discriminating against the entire county, saying they cannot receive the same permit as someone from bergen, or Warren County. She is also attaching this order with no court hearing.

If there are limitations placed on your PTC, is the judge not required to give justification as to why your permit must be issued differently than the next county's permit. I understand the statute allowing discretion to place limitations, but I could have sworn the judge had to explain to the applicant why these limitations are being placed on them.

I am aware strikeforce is on it, and CNJFO, and nappen.... but after receiving your Ocean county permit with the attached court order, couldn't you make a request to be seen by the judge to be given clarification for you limitations? Wouldn't the judge have to explain why you as an Ocean county resident must be treated differently than a Warren County resident? 

Just trying to think outside the box a bit here. My thoughts are they aren't requiring a hearing because they don't want to allow the order to be questioned, on record, by the applicant.

All in all, I'd expect the judges answer of "because I say so, I have the legal discretion, and public health and safety"... but for that to be on record could be very helpful.

Thoughts?

For those of you wanting to call, here is the most up to date list of names and numbers. They all use the 504-0700 number.

Judge Rochelle Gizinski, J.S.C. – 732-504-0700 Ext 64230
Cheryl A. Zollo, Secretary, Ext 64221
Lisa Russo-Spencer, Court Clerk
Reece McGovern, Law Clerk, Ext 64222     
Kimberly Nye Ext 64276

I've spoken with Reece, very nice but couldn't help. Spoke with Cheryl, also very nice and she gave me Kim's name and extension.
Realizing that Strikeforce is on this, may or may not be a good idea but a friendly call shouldn't hurt.
I emailed Strikeforce to let t hem know I am over 60 days at the court, haven't heard back yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lucky Lefty said:

Thoughts?

I`m #108 in Union County what was the permit number for the guy in Westfield want to gauge what permit number the court is working on currently.

8 hours ago, Lucky Lefty said:

Thoughts?

Good information Lucky...On your idea, I personally wouldn't ask for a hearing, unfortunately, I don't think you questioning the judge has any upside (only possible downside)...Napen's associate told me last week that a Law Suit is in progress but it takes time to escalate it up the system. I can't imagine any individual at their personal hearing (even if they have a lawyer present) will do better than the Law suite to get this injustice rectified...

Your idea is a "noble" one, but imo, not a good risk reward situation for you...Of course if you decide to do it you will have our hopes and prayers with you, FWIW.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Shortfuse said:

She called me also on 9/20 but I wanted to add a 3rd pistol to my permit so she held it for me and I qualified the 3rd pistol on 9/21 and dropped it off at the PD and it was sent to court on 9/22

Kim @ Berkley is awesome, they all are over there as I'm guessing you'd agree.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bushmaster1313 said:

Any word from Middlesex Monday or Tuesday 

According to FB page Middlesex County CCW, a gentleman claims he spoke to a "Veronica" and she said the judge has "signed a few" and is having trouble getting to the permits amongst busy court schedule.

One gentleman from Middlesex chimed in and said his permit has been at the court since July 19 and it's been crickets.

After skimming through the page, I did not find anyone claiming to have received their permit yet.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Lucky Lefty said:

According to FB page Middlesex County CCW, a gentleman claims he spoke to a "Veronica" and she said the judge has "signed a few" and is having trouble getting to the permits amongst busy court schedule.

One gentleman from Middlesex chimed in and said his permit has been at the court since July 19 and it's been crickets.

After skimming through the page, I did not find anyone claiming to have received their permit yet.

I have been considering retaining an attorney to assist here in Middlesex. There just not issuing permits, a lawsuit may have to be filed to get things moving.

36 minutes ago, Lucky Lefty said:

Me neither. 

15 minutes ago, marlintag said:

I have been considering retaining an attorney to assist here in Middlesex. There just not issuing permits, a lawsuit may have to be filed to get things moving.

Wish I had the money for that. 

15 hours ago, Combat Auto said:

What kind of DV incident did you have which you are so concerned with? Where you convicted of something, charge initially then the charge were dropped, or just a formal complaint with no charges?

my kids mother filed for a RO and child support in 08' and it was granted, then she filed a motion for both to be dismissed 2yrs later 10'..Anthony from GFH on his podcast said any kind of DV is subject for denial since judges can use "public safety" even though I'm currently a FID holder and had an expungement in 16' it raises my concern.