CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

16 hours ago, marlintag said:

I was also told to "sit and wait" Middlesex has thousands of applications too. At least someone from Strikeforce has contacted you, they don't seem to pay me any mind, are you a member of Strikeforce?

I am a member, yes. I emailed them my timeline based on advice from this forum. I didn’t expect an answer, more for their information. I don’t think they will be able to do anything for me, as far as I can tell. 

19 hours ago, RadioGunner said:

Any timeframe given now will be skewed by the fact that the process is somewhat settling down. Early applicants faced delays as this was entirely new for many courts and PDs. 

As has been said before, this isn't a new process.  It's the same process, but the volume has increased since we got our constitutional right back.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, MB24 said:

so you know this for a fact or just your opinion?

You just need to read the statute. It says '60 days'

'days' are all days. 'calendar days' are a subset of days and would have to stated explicitly.

It is the same as the 2A applies to 'the people'. That means all the people, not just the white, male, or any other subset of 'the people'.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

12 hours ago, samiam said:

Not directly, but I did quite a bit of dredging up of pertinent sections of NJ code (again, IANAL) in general, and the gist was pretty clear that references to elapsed time in the statutes and the code are to calandar days. I do think it reasonable to presume that the 14, 30, and  ^60^ day periods are calendar days unless explicitly denoted otherwise. Let me turn it around - how many time limit requirements imposed by NJ or other government on the citzenry are expressed in working days? 

This has been posted before, i think. It leads me to also believe that the spirit of the directive is clearly calendar days. 

BE97256B-7460-4291-B7FF-350DDD837E26.jpeg

939B1EAF-64E0-4A30-A840-A0CAF198FB71.jpeg

• Like 1

Does anybody know if Bayonne has given any ccw?I'm almost at the 90 day mark.I called at 6 weeks to make sure they had everything they needed which they said they did.Called the other day and got a recording saying they can't give any permit status because they were backed up.So now they won't even answer the phone.

On 10/8/2022 at 9:41 AM, samiam said:

the prosecutor has 14 days to respond, with a presumption of approval at the expiration of that time, and that 14 days is to run CONCURRENTLY with the 30 (44 total) days allocated to the court. 

"Concurrently" means "at the same time" so that would still be 30 days total.

• Agree 1

On 10/8/2022 at 12:56 PM, GlockityGlockGlock said:

My permit was mailed from court to pd last Friday

Called pd yesterday, a full week after, and she was annoyed that I was even calling her...

Either court lied, she lied, or USPS lost it. 

I had to wait a week from when the court said they mailed it. I imagine it has to go down to the mail room and whenever they get around to put the stamp on the package or wait for a bunch. Then when it got to my PD they have to check everything, and that’s what the person at the front desk said, the people in records makes sure everything is accurate before they release it.

On 10/7/2022 at 12:02 PM, DirtyDigz said:

More rumor: Toms River PD received directive to send PTC's to Judge Ryan as of yesterday (Thu 10/6) morning.

I heard that on gun for hire podcast, Gasinski is out and Ryan is it

3 hours ago, galapoola said:

I had to wait a week from when the court said they mailed it. I imagine it has to go down to the mail room and whenever they get around to put the stamp on the package or wait for a bunch. Then when it got to my PD they have to check everything, and that’s what the person at the front desk said, the people in records makes sure everything is accurate before they release it.

I heard that on gun for hire podcast, Gasinski is out and Ryan is it

Didn't hear anything today either. Hopefully tomorrow since today post office was closed. 

If pd doesn't call me, I'll call the court and see if they have tracking by any chance 

6 minutes ago, GlockityGlockGlock said:

Didn't hear anything today either. Hopefully tomorrow since today post office was closed. 

If pd doesn't call me, I'll call the court and see if they have tracking by any chance 

It took two weeks to get to me. But only because it went down to FIU in west Trenton first. Since you have a local PD it shouldn’t take that long. Tomorrow I’m calling about qualifying with my other guns.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, winmag45 said:

Does anybody know if Bayonne has given any ccw?I'm almost at the 90 day mark.I called at 6 weeks to make sure they had everything they needed which they said they did.Called the other day and got a recording saying they can't give any permit status because they were backed up.So now they won't even answer the phone.

See my Hudson county posts in this thread. I'm in the same boat as you. I'm solidly over 90 days. I'll post if I get some information or motion on the process. 

So heres my timeline for Marlboro PD...

8/26- Submitted to my PD 

9/13- Got PD approval email and sent to courts

9/30- Got emailed letter from Monmouth Prosecutors office to the judge that they don't have any objection

At this point I'm guessing I'm  just waiting for Judge to sign off

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, chrisfc923 said:

So heres my timeline for Marlboro PD...

8/26- Submitted to my PD 

9/13- Got PD approval email and sent to courts

9/30- Got emailed letter from Monmouth Prosecutors office to the judge that they don't have any objection

At this point I'm guessing I'm  just waiting for Judge to sign off

Here's mine for Marlboro PD:

08/02 - Submitted to MPD

08/23 - Got PD approval email and sent to the court

09/23 - Got email from MCPO sent to the Judge without any objections. Letter dated 09/20.

10/11 - Still waiting

• Informative 1

NJSP Barracks responded to my email today. Said he needed a copy of my DL, which I immediately emailed back. Also said they have not gotten a response from the request for my Mental Health Background, which they submitted on August 3rd. He said he will make a second request today. No further information given. 

I will start to draft an email to the ANJRPC Task Force today. 

Edit to add: I have lived at the same address well over ten years, so the MH should be fast/easy. I've also obtained pistol purchase permits earlier this year. I'm not positive, but don't the run mental health for that also?

26 minutes ago, kc17 said:

NJSP Barracks responded to my email today. Said he needed a copy of my DL, which I immediately emailed back. Also said they have not gotten a response from the request for my Mental Health Background, which they submitted on August 3rd. He said he will make a second request today. No further information given. 

I will start to draft an email to the ANJRPC Task Force today. 

Edit to add: I have lived at the same address well over ten years, so the MH should be fast/easy. I've also obtained pistol purchase permits earlier this year. I'm not positive, but don't the run mental health for that also?

Which barracks?

54 minutes ago, pjd832 said:

Which barracks?

Troop C, Hamilton (Mercer Co). 

Co-worker decided to torment me by saying the 60 days start today/tomorrow since my application packet has been incomplete without a copy of my DL in it until today. My CCN is Aug 2, because I dropped my application off the evening of Aug 1. 

28 minutes ago, samiam said:

P. S., Mr.Wertzberger also told me that court policy, at least for Cape May County Vicinage, is to cash and deposit incoming money orders by the end of the next business day after those are received, so, at least for this court, money orders are a pretty accurate proxy for application receipt.  

All these courts cant figure out one way to do it all the same...gov at its finest. I have confirmation mine was received by the court on 9/9 yet they didnt cash it  until 9/29. With how money hungry this state is im surprised they didnt rip the package open and ruin the packet to get the money the second they saw that packet come in. 

• Like 1

As per a Facebook post, looks like the court clerk from Gloucester has divulged some information stating that they have 175 applications slated for court hearings on Oct. 20th.

I almost want to take the day off, get some popcorn, and go watch how they plan to handle this.

Some speculate this is an attempt from the Judge to get the prosecutor to drop the court hearing required part of the process.

Cannot wait to see how this goes.

SmartSelect_20221011_162120_Samsung Internet.jpg

9 minutes ago, joeg said:

If you drop the application and mental heal form off at the PD, who calls the references and does the mental health stuff?  Is it the PD or NJSP?

Every PD handles their own investigation.   NJSP is only involved for those who live in a rural municipality without it's own PD.
In that case, NJSP is the local PD.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, joeg said:

If you drop the application and mental heal form off at the PD, who calls the references and does the mental health stuff?  Is it the PD or NJSP?

PD. If you have a local PD, they do all investigation and forward to the court. If you’re like me and live in a town with no local police, NJSP local barracks will do the initial intake, forward down to the division (FIU) in West Trenton and then to the court. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SJ Guns said:

Every PD handles their own investigation.   NJSP is only involved for those who live in a rural municipality without it's own PD.
In that case, NJSP is the local PD.

Thanks, so the PD does the investigation then forwards to the court - what determines if there is a hearing or not?  Is it the PD investigation or does the court do another investigation?