CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

7 minutes ago, hostak126 said:

My question is about the municipality code in the upper right corner of the carry permit app.

My servicing PD are the njsp augusta barracks. I live in Stillwater BUT my mail comes from Newton, My DL is Newton, and my FID is Newton. Am I supposed to use the Stillwater code where I reside OR the Newton code where all of my ID states?

Any help is appreciated I would like to file and qualify next week.

Use the municipality that you actually live in. A good guide is to use what’s on your state tax return. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RadioGunner said:

Use the municipality that you actually live in. A good guide is what’s on your state tax return. 

thanks! It's only taken me a month to find out. njsp weren't helpful and the hunting forum i'm in wasn't helpful either. ranges aren't sure either.

Ball is rolling in Ocean county again, finally. Appears there are 3 judges involved now, 2 approving and 1 for denials.

As per this fb post and accompanying comments, Ocean County has approved somewhere around GP#140. 

Very important to note, permit checked no restrictions and there was ZERO attached court order.

SmartSelect_20221020_084223_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

14 hours ago, hostak126 said:

I live in Stillwater BUT my mail comes from Newton, My DL is Newton, and my FID is Newton.

You're confusing post offices (mailing address) with municipality (who's your local government). For example, there are people that live in Montgomery Twp (Somerset) that have Princeton mailing addresses.

Who do you pay taxes to?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, YankeeSC said:

You're confusing post offices (mailing address) with municipality (who's your local government). For example, there are people that live in Montgomery Twp (Somerset) that have Princeton mailing addresses.

Who do you pay taxes to?

I live in Stillwater and rent from a long time friend, so technically he's paying taxes on the house to the town

13 hours ago, hostak126 said:

Consent to Mental health records should be the same municipality on the application?

Put whatever is on your driver license. It goes to the county adjuster. I live in Wantage township but since our post office is in Sussex boro I use “Sussex NJ 07461” as my city state zip. 

• Thanks 1

Does anyone have an opinion what the County Judge and their staff actually do during their time with our applications? Do they do some further type of investigation which the Police Department hasn't done, or is it just administrative making sure that all the "boxes" are checked and perhaps recording our information into their records and cutting a permit?

37 minutes ago, Combat Auto said:

Does anyone have an opinion what the County Judge and their staff actually do during their time with our applications? Do they do some further type of investigation which the Police Department hasn't done, or is it just administrative making sure that all the "boxes" are checked and perhaps recording our information into their records and cutting a permit?

Good question.

I can't imagine they spend time doing additional 'research', so they likely just review what's provided by the PD and weigh against whatever recommendation comes with it.

• Agree 1

Tomorrow I hit day 60 so I stopped into the Denville PD to check on the status of my application which was dropped off on 8/23. I was fingerprinted on on 8/25 and stopped in on 9/13 to make sure all was in order. I was told all was good at that time

My references were not contacted till last week.

I was told today that my application is on the chiefs desk awaiting his signature and would be brought down to Morristown by one of our officers along with other applications that to chief signed.

I was told that Denville has not received any approved permits back from the judge yet and that the court is running about 30 days behind.

Just providing info I was given at this time.

On 10/12/2022 at 5:33 PM, Mr.Stu said:

I just got an email from Hunterdon Superior Court. They have re-issued my court order listing the additional handguns I sent in. It is now almost 3 full pages instead of the page and a half it was before. It is exactly the same, except the list of guns is more than 3 times as long.

How did you go about adding them?

Dumont Concealed Carry Licence issued. Took 3 months but Dumont PD was pretty professional and everything went fine. Took about 2 months for local PD to go trough references and background checks. Waited the last month for final signature from Judge. I know it's our constitutional right and we shouldn't need to ask permission, but Dumont PD was excellent. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Isidro416 said:

Dumont Concealed Carry Licence issued. Took 3 months but Dumont PD was pretty professional and everything went fine. Took about 2 months for local PD to go trough references and background checks. Waited the last month for final signature from Judge. I know it's our constitutional right and we shouldn't need to ask permission, but Dumont PD was excellent. 

Congratulations!

1 hour ago, Isidro416 said:

How long after your check was cashed did you receive and contact/update from court or PD?

On 10/20/2022 at 12:34 PM, RadioGunner said:

Put whatever is on your driver license. It goes to the county adjuster. I live in Wantage township but since our post office is in Sussex boro I use “Sussex NJ 07461” as my city state zip. 

Not Accurate info!!!!!

My town does not have a post office. We use a neighboring towns post office, zip code, and town name on documents. That is whats on my drivers license, and all my mail, documents, etc etc...   But it is two entirely seperate towns, seperate government, and seperate police! And both have municipalities have their own unque and different ORI numbers! 

OP needs to know exactly what town he lives in; not his mailing address listed town.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, eyeinstine said:

Not Accurate info!!!!!

My town does not have a post office. We use a neighboring towns post office, zip code, and town name on documents. That is whats on my drivers license, and all my mail, documents, etc etc...   But it is two entirely seperate towns, seperate government, and seperate police! And both have municipalities have their own unque and different ORI numbers! 

OP needs to know exactly what town he lives in; not his mailing address listed town.

I can assure you my info is accurate.

For the address portion, put whatever is on your DL.  Make sure the county you put down is where you live. 

My town also uses a neighboring town’s post office. I’ve done this for years with the mental health form with NO problems.

The mental health in NJ is done at the county level so it all goes to one county adjuster’s office anyway. 

6 minutes ago, RadioGunner said:

I can assure you my info is accurate.

For the address portion, put whatever is on your DL.  Make sure the county you put down is where you live. 

My town also uses a neighboring town’s post office. I’ve done this for years with the mental health form with NO problems.

The mental health in NJ is done at the county level so it all goes to one county adjuster’s office anyway. 

Maybe i misundersatood the OP's question.

You are correct; as your filling out the form with name, adddress, etc, you do use what is on your drivers license and other personal documents and mail. I was only refering to the ORI number. The municipality you actually reside in will have a different ORI number than the municipality that you use as your mailing address.

Now this may be different if the same P.D. services both towns. I would assume the ORI number would be the same then?.

I gave a money order,  but my understanding is that once everything is done at local PD than it's cashed and goes to court for judge to sign. So 1 month.

4 minutes ago, Shortfuse said:

Submitted to PD 7/29

60 Days    

received in court 9/26 

27 Days so far

still nothing  10/22

Total of 87 Days and counting

When you say, 'received in court' what do you mean and how were you notified of this?

to all those who've already submitted applications and received their permits. The municipality code you used. Is that the same code which I.D.'s your servicing police dept?

my servicing dept are NJ state police Augusta Troop B. If that is the code I have it. I've heard reports that the carry permit applications are getting sent back because of this reason.

18 minutes ago, hostak126 said:

to all those who've already submitted applications and received their permits. The municipality code you used. Is that the same code which I.D.'s your servicing police dept?

my servicing dept are NJ state police Augusta Troop B. If that is the code I have it. I've heard reports that the carry permit applications are getting sent back because of this reason.

It’s the municipality tax code of the town you live in. Same one that goes on your state tax return.