CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

So apparently my last post regarding progress on my application was based on a line of bullshit.

After being told on Thursday the 20th that my application was "on the chiefs desk awaiting a signature", on Monday  the 24th my third and final reference gets a call.

I wonder how it could be on the chiefs desk and still under processing at the same time?

My wife said I should stop in so the clerks know that I know they were lying however I can't figure out a polite way to call someone a liar to their face.

Now on day 64 at the PD.

• Sad 1
  • FacePalm 1

6 hours ago, brucin said:

I wonder how RPO's are going to like it when sone Karen calls the police when they see the RPO carrying? 

I'm sure it won't happen often because they will not have to use a bulky outside the waste band holster with a retention strap.

This is a good point. You really can’t tell RPO from regular citizen carry. Even in so called sensitive places. So this law will be toothless and unenforceable. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, brucin said:

So apparently my last post regarding progress on my application was based on a line of bullshit.

After being told on Thursday the 20th that my application was "on the chiefs desk awaiting a signature", on Monday  the 24th my third and final reference gets a call.

I wonder how it could be on the chiefs desk and still under processing at the same time?

My wife said I should stop in so the clerks know that I know they were lying however I can't figure out a polite way to call someone a liar to their face.

Now on day 64 at the PD.

Try "I'm not suggesting that you are a liar, just that what you said was a lie"

1 hour ago, samiam said:

Lots of public employees take an oath to uphold the Constitution and then make haste to blatantly disregard it the first time it becomes the least bit inconvenient. Most folks these days don't take their own personal integrity very seriously, and the lack of consequences for LEOs and RPOs violating their oaths just exacerbates an already unfortunate situation. 

This is NJ. Government employees have no incentive to be conservative or stand for ANY value even slightly right of center. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, marlintag said:

I obtained the status of my application by calling the superior court. Once the PD sends off your application they really don't have much say as to what happens. 

So I should just call the superior court and ask them if they received my ccw application?  What information will they need to look it up?

47 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

Try "I'm not suggesting that you are a liar, just that what you said was a lie"

I submitted  my completed  app on September 26  this past Friday  all three of my references  got letter  in mail all three  went directly  to PD Department on Monday  morning and handed in completed  form so I'm  wondering  how much  longer I've  got to go think  it has  to  go to Gloucester county  court next ?

14 minutes ago, Wrigs4095 said:

I submitted  my completed  app on September 26  this past Friday  all three of my references  got letter  in mail all three  went directly  to PD Department on Monday  morning and handed in completed  form so I'm  wondering  how much  longer I've  got to go think  it has  to  go to Gloucester county  court next ?

By statute, the PD have 60 days to complete the background checks. Sept 26 is not 60 days ago, its 29. You're not even halfway there yet.

Here's my experience so far, i turned my application in to the Vineland Police Department in Cumberland county 

- 9/19/22 turned in all paperwork to the department, i had my notary be the witness to my mental health form, he didn't stamp it just signed it. The officer i turned it in to said that he needed to witness me sign it, so he handed me a blank copy and i filled it out there in front of him.

- 9/20/22 i received a call in the morning from the PD saying that my 4 photos weren't good enough. I took the pictures on my phone and edited the background in photoshop to make it white and printed them out on my printer., they were 2"×2". So i went to CVS and got 2 sets made, turned them in to the PD later that day.

- 9/22/22 drove to philly and got fingerprinted. All the identogos in Nj close to me had the earliest appointments in late October.

Haven't heard a peep from anyone since. Emailed VPD last week asking if they still have the application or if they sent it to the court. No reply.

1 hour ago, Chad-williams said:

Here's my experience so far, i turned my application in to the Vineland Police Department in Cumberland county 

- 9/19/22 turned in all paperwork to the department, i had my notary be the witness to my mental health form, he didn't stamp it just signed it. The officer i turned it in to said that he needed to witness me sign it, so he handed me a blank copy and i filled it out there in front of him.

- 9/20/22 i received a call in the morning from the PD saying that my 4 photos weren't good enough. I took the pictures on my phone and edited the background in photoshop to make it white and printed them out on my printer., they were 2"×2". So i went to CVS and got 2 sets made, turned them in to the PD later that day.

- 9/22/22 drove to philly and got fingerprinted. All the identogos in Nj close to me had the earliest appointments in late October.

Haven't heard a peep from anyone since. Emailed VPD last week asking if they still have the application or if they sent it to the court. No reply.

So in other words, you didnt follow most PDs instructions to sign mental health form there, your photos were photoshopped, and you get fingerprints AFTER you hand in application?? 

11 minutes ago, Mike77 said:

So in other words, you didnt follow most PDs instructions to sign mental health form there, your photos were photoshopped, and you get fingerprints AFTER you hand in application?? 

I was given a piece of paper with instructions on how to submit the application when i picked up the application.  No where did it state that the PD needed to be present when i signed the mental health form. The instructions also said that i must make an appointment to be fingerprinted AFTER i submit the application. The instructions also requested "four color passport size photographs" which is what i submitted. Their issue with the photographs is that they were printed on regular paper and not glossy professionally printed type material. 

4 hours ago, RichP said:

The PBA rep should not have a seat at the table.

Not only did he get to speak in the middle of people who were testifying against this bill, the Republican assemblymen asked him no questions, Assemblyman Danielson told the PBA rep he was "co-author of the bill", and the icing on the cake for me was when the chairwoman running the show told the PBA rep 'we like you & you are very special to us".

19 minutes ago, Mike77 said:

Here's an image of the instructions i received from the police department since you seem to know a lot more about this process than me.foto-no-exif-12.jpg

1 hour ago, Mike77 said:

Doing fingerprints after the app is not uncommon. I did mine after the app and I’ve been carrying since early October. 

45 minutes ago, Chad-williams said:

Here's an image of the instructions i received from the police department since you seem to know a lot more about this process than me.foto-no-exif-12.jpg

I went by State Police instructions, prior to going to local. Local PD wont accept app without prior fingerprints within 6months.

Screenshot_20221025_221039.jpg

Screenshot_20221025_221119.jpg

My PD told me they would give me a case number to use when enrolling for prints. So, I dropped the application off, they gave me the case number, I did my prints out of state, and the PD got them quickly. 

Also, I don't know that its a requirement to sign the mental health form in front of an officer. However, I asked ahead of time because one little mistake can put you right back at the beginning of the line. My PD said sign it with them and they will sign as witness. They were very helpful. Not all PDs are like this, I know.

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, g17owner said:

Also, I don't know that its a requirement to sign the mental health form in front of an officer. However, I asked ahead of time because one little mistake can put you right back at the beginning of the line. My PD said sign it with them and they will sign as witness. They were very helpful. Not all PDs are like this, I know.

Exactly 

There is no point of applying in Somerset, nothing is approved and I doubt it will untill all these qualification we did will expire. Don't waste your money and time on this BS. I talk to the PD to warn people about, judge doesn't care and didnt tell anything reasonable. I am on 72 days since applying, some are over 100 days in this county, nothing.

31 minutes ago, leo-польд said:

There is no point of applying in Somerset, nothing is approved and I doubt it will untill all these qualification we did will expire. Don't waste your money and time on this BS. I talk to the PD to warn people about, judge doesn't care and didnt tell anything reasonable. I am on 72 days since applying, some are over 100 days in this county, nothing.

There is every point of applying. It's at least to keep a record of oath breaking. 

41 minutes ago, leo-польд said:

I appreciate your frustration (I'm at 91 days) but IMO it's very important that people DO apply.  It may seem like they're ignoring things, but it's absolutely something that's taking up space in their brains.  I'm sure some are waiting for legislation to pass that will cancel the process and revert to the old way, but that's not going to happen.

They are not allowed to throw the applications away, and since there are guidelines that dictate how they're supposed to move (60 days at PD, 30 Days at court) there will come a breaking point where they will be compelled to move them.

You're the "tip of the spear" on this so your process isn't going to be smooth sailing...

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

I appreciate your frustration (I'm at 91 days) but IMO it's very important that people DO apply.  It may seem like they're ignoring things, but it's absolutely something that's taking up space in their brains.  I'm sure some are waiting for legislation to pass that will cancel the process and revert to the old way, but that's not going to happen.

They are not allowed to throw the applications away, and since there are guidelines that dictate how they're supposed to move (60 days at PD, 30 Days at court) there will come a breaking point where they will be compelled to move them.

You're the "tip of the spear" on this so your process isn't going to be smooth sailing...

You are too optimistic, also unfortunatly you are believer in rules and laws and they don't because power is currently in their hands. It is up to you to wait and waste time and money or not, I would't if I knew that besides extrimely buracratic and costly procedure I have to wait for nothing for so long. And don't forget in two years again... Vote correctly first place, liberals will not allow us with guns in NJ.

2 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

You are too optimistic, also unfortunatly you are believer in rules and laws and they don't because power is currently in their hands. It is up to you to wait and waste time and money or not, I would't if I knew that besides extrimely buracratic and costly procedure I have to wait for nothing for so long. And don't forget in two years again... Vote correctly first place, liberals will not allow us with guns in NJ.

3 minutes ago, leo-польд said:

In a lot of cases, one cannot bring a lawsuit or be a party to a lawsuit, until they have suffered some type of harm. You are suffering that harm now. And in this case, it involves your civil rights. 

Additionally, I think the libs are finally going to get slapped around by the court system. Hopefully, sooner rather than later.