CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

I’m also in Somerset County and at 90 days . Court has had it 10 weeks now and money order was cashed about a month or so ago . Can’t see how they are just sitting on them but cashing money orders . I am guessing they have well over a 1000 just sitting in limbo maybe double that . Crazy times for sure . 

• FacePalm 2

8 minutes ago, samiam said:

The harm should also be quantifiable in dollars and cents, i.e., financial damage or loss. If PtC qualifications are allowed to expire before or shortly after permits are granted, attributable to no fault of the applicant, with the result that the expense of the initial qualification was worth little or nothing, that would seem to constitute a huge financial basis for class action litigation. It would be useful to have some glimmer of what the strategy of our advocacy groups (ANJRPC, CNJFO, et al) is going to be regarding this issue and those resulting from the pending anti-carry legislation, but so far, all I have heard is crickets.

Right. At this late stage, it does seem that some people could end up with expiring quals. I didn't even think of that but yes those quals are not cheap.

1 hour ago, marlintag said:

Sir, you almost got me there, but I deducted two days because of Columbus Day and Labor Da

I believe the consensus  was days, period.

over 90 days is suspicious at best...

BTW if you’re going to omit the holidays you should have omitted the weekends too, just saying 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, leo-польд said:

You are too optimistic, also unfortunatly you are believer in rules and laws and they don't because power is currently in their hands. It is up to you to wait and waste time and money or not, I would't if I knew that besides extrimely buracratic and costly procedure I have to wait for nothing for so long. And don't forget in two years again... Vote correctly first place, liberals will not allow us with guns in NJ.

Again, I appreciate your frustration, in reality, permits are being processed.  Slowly, and not in every jurisdiction, but they are being processed.  That's never been done before in NJ.  If everyone waited until the process was "worked out" somehow, there would have been zero progress.

Respectfully, you were kidding yourself if you somehow thought is would be a quick/easy process.  NJ started processing carry permits for the first time EVER in June.  There was nothing in place to support the number of applications that would be submitted and NJ politics would try to slow things at every opportunity.

I know waiting for something you want is a bother, but more progress has been made in the last 4 months than had been in the last 50 years.

If you're not serious about carrying a firearm then just withdraw your application and forget about it.  One less stress point in your life.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

NJ started processing carry permits for the first time EVER in June.  There was nothing in place to support the number of applications that would be submitted and NJ politics would try to slow things at every opportunity.

Untrue on point #1, but spot on with regard to point #2.

• Agree 2

On 10/26/2022 at 10:46 AM, 124gr9mm said:

Again, I appreciate your frustration, in reality, permits are being processed.  Slowly, and not in every jurisdiction, but they are being processed.  That's never been done before in NJ.  If everyone waited until the process was "worked out" somehow, there would have been zero progress.

Respectfully, you were kidding yourself if you somehow thought is would be a quick/easy process.  NJ started processing carry permits for the first time EVER in June.  There was nothing in place to support the number of applications that would be submitted and NJ politics would try to slow things at every opportunity.

I know waiting for something you want is a bother, but more progress has been made in the last 4 months than had been in the last 50 years.

If you're not serious about carrying a firearm then just withdraw your application and forget about it.  One less stress point in your life.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

31 minutes ago, marlintag said:

intentional abuse of applicants, intentional dereliction of duty, intentional malfeasance, I could go on and on. 

I don't necessarily disagree.

The "intentional" part may not apply in all cases, but the effects are certainly happening.

1 hour ago, CMJeepster said:

Untrue on point #1, but spot on with regard to point #2.

Right.

I presumed people would read that as a regular posters here should, but I'll update to:

NJ started processing carry permits for regular citizens for the first time EVER in June.  Prior to that it was a secretive, elitist process where only retired LEO's, the very wealthy, and politically connected could receive them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, samiam said:

Lots of public employees take an oath to uphold the Constitution and then make haste to blatantly disregard it the first time it becomes the least bit inconvenient.

When the highest level Democrat government official in NJ says understanding the US Constitution is above his pay grade, it's no wonder this disregard becomes a free pass for all those beneath him.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, YankeeSC said:

This could be true.  It's on his desk, and once the references come back, he will sign.

That may be so but it doesn't explain why my first 2 references were contacted on 10/12 and 10/14 but the third was not contacted till 10/24.

10/24 is 9 weeks since the application was submitted.

1 hour ago, 124gr9mm said:

Right.

I presumed people would read that as a regular posters here should, but I'll update to:

NJ started processing carry permits for regular citizens for the first time EVER in June.  Prior to that it was a secretive, elitist process where only retired LEO's, the very wealthy, certain people who needed one for their job (armored car crew, security guard, alarm company owners) and politically connected could receive them.

FIFY.

2 hours ago, YankeeSC said:

When the highest level Democrat government official in NJ says understanding the US Constitution is above his pay grade, it's no wonder this disregard becomes a free pass for all those beneath him.

As soon as he said it was above his pay grade it should have been a forced recall and put someone in as his replacement and not his deputy gov who shares his views. You would think at a min the highest elected official in NJ would have a a 2nd grade understanding of the  Constitution.  I know the idiot can read as he reads his how to screw over those in NJ manual which was wrote by every other dumbassocrat before him. 

• Agree 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

@124gr9mm is pretty spot on with this. Some (but not all) counties are making this a PITA. I imagine in reality, some of its because it’s new, but I also think that a lot of it is purposeful. 

Murphy and his gang of idiots WILL be smacked down in time. Thomas was clear in his wording in the Bruen decision, and the NY/NJ carry prohibitions won’t stand when challenged. 
I know it’s not what some of you want to hear, but keep IN THE FIGHT! 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, samiam said:

"His deputy governor"? BWAHAHAHA! Sheila Oliver is Murphy's very effective recall insurance policy. My read on her is that on a good day, she is just smart enough to locate the lady's room. 

Yea thats why i said not the dep gov as in a total recall. I didn't want to say it but, lol. Recall idiot one and idiot two and get someone in there that can understand "shall not be infringed" .

I know thats not how it would work but i figure since they dont understand how the US constitution works why should we follow how recalls work. 

This is from the NJ State Police website regarding qualifications: "Written qualification must be within six (6) months of application"

If they take longer than six months your qualifications are still good according to that wording as long as they were within the 6 months when you dropped off (applied) for the permit.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

All this would be OK if they process at least one!!! permit and we see it in Somerset. Other counties doesn't count because it could be republican judge there, it is like small kingdom and judge us the king of it. Nobody will blame him for expired qualifications, it is written rule and he will say - i am busy with....whatever. I paid $168 for mine qualification and if it will expire - I am out, that is what they like.

Here's my experience with Lodi (Bergen County).

I followed the instructions on gunforhire.com to the letter.

Submitted application to LPD on 7/29. Signed mental health check form, etc.

Got printed on 8/2.

Followed up 2 weeks later and they were still waiting for the background check to come in.

Followed up again around 8/30. LPD said they already sent application to court (don't know the exact date).

Money order cashed on 9/23.

Got a call today (10/26) from LPD to come pick up my PTC.

Edited by jc55
  • Like 4