CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

1 hour ago, Bushmaster1313 said:

The person handing out the approved permits at the Middlesex courthouse said to keep the original order with the permit while carrying even thought the order itself  says to keep a copy of the order with the permit. 

So, according to the Judge’s written pronouncement a copy of the order is enough to keep with the permit while carrying, but if you got your permit from the Middlesex court is there any possible reason why you would want to get into a legal battle with a police officer, prosecutor, judge or jury on that issue?

The order expires in two years anyways, so why not keep the original with the permit?  

It wouldn't necessarily hurt having the original court order and as you mentioned, it's only good for 2 years. However, I do find it interesting that the person handing out the permit is giving information that is counter to what the actual court order states. For me (just my opinion), I'm going to carry a copy of the court order as I can show explicitly from the order that a copy is sufficient. With my luck, if I carried the original order, it would find it's way into the washer / dryer which is too painful to even imagine. lol

Beside the washer… just carrying a folded up piece of 8.5x11 paper in your pocket for 2 years and not expecting it to be a unreadable mess between friction/sweat/rain/humidity etc is ridiculous on the courts part…. Non everyone carries a briefcase   For legal documents  everywhere lol

I was initially issued a permit in Ocean County with 12 restrictions. I had taken a photo with my camera to carry as instructed, but it has since been vacate/rescinded by a new judge. I now have a printed copy of the vacate order folded because of type size not as readable in photos like the original. Fits nicely in a standard card wallet.IMG_20221030_131421705_HDR.jpg.87a057fa3a7544cd08da0c34efb8c11c.jpg

IMG_20221030_131243511.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ShootersShooter said:

I was initially issued a permit in Ocean County with 12 restrictions. I had taken a photo with my camera to carry as instructed, but it has since been vacate/rescinded by a new judge. I now have a printed copy of the vacate order folded because of type size not as readable in photos like the original. Fits nicely in a standard card wallet.IMG_20221030_131421705_HDR.jpg.87a057fa3a7544cd08da0c34efb8c11c.jpg

Does the vacate order say you have to carry a copy of it?

10 hours ago, ShootersShooter said:

The vacate order does not stipulate that I carry it, but I feel better with a copy with me. I prefer the wallet type, it holds my DL, 2 PTCs, FID & range ID.

The vacate orders rightly point out that stipulating "sensitive place" restrictions are the job of the legislature and not judges.

• Informative 1

23 minutes ago, galapoola said:

Awesome, congrats man. If I was cop I'd be confused by restrictions "none" and "see court order", seems contradictory.

Right?! The court order was to carry a extra piece of paper that states my permit says I can carry the gun I qualified with it's possibly the dumbest thing I have ever had to do in my life.

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, MikeL417 said:

Right?! The court order was to carry a extra piece of paper that states my permit says I can carry the gun I qualified with it's possibly the dumbest thing I have ever had to do in my life.

Hopefully that shit gets overturned in time 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, galapoola said:

Awesome, congrats man. If I was cop I'd be confused by restrictions "none" and "see court order", seems contradictory.

Cops don’t ask for the order. Your real worry is if you have to use your gun and didn’t have the order somewhere you can find it. Don’t overthink it. 

Apologies if this was discussed previously and I missed it.

Why four photos anyway? One goes on the permit, where do the other three go? Local PD, NJSP HQ and the Prosecutor/Courts? Now that I think of it more, wouldn't surprise me if they went in mug books. 

• FacePalm 1

2 hours ago, kc17 said:

Why four photos anyway? One goes on the permit, where do the other three go? Local PD, NJSP HQ and the Prosecutor/Courts? Now that I think of it more, wouldn't surprise me if they went in mug books. 

It is for the database that "they" will create soon.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, kc17 said:

You submitted the SP642 in triplicate, right? There is a box on the form to put a photo. 3 forms plus the PCH itself makes 4.

• Informative 1

Ocean County. 

After my 2nd email to the Court requesting an update on my application, I received this response today:

"Received 9/21/22. GP-OCN-5xx-xx."(high number)

That's it. 

I'm not sure what number they are on.

Edited by jbark
Edit docket number

Successful approval in Passaic County.  Here is my experience.

9/15/22               Successfully qualified @ GFH for 1 pistol with a score of 100%, surprising myself

9/16/22               Submitted completed application to local PD

9/20/22               Completed fingerprints out of state

9/21/22               Two of three reference received their questionnaire

Questions were the exact same questions from the FARS pistol permit reference form

9/22/22               Questionnaire submitted back to PD by reference 1

9/26/22               2nd reference submitted questionnaire back to PD

9/26/22               3RD reference received questionnaire

9/27/22               3rd reference submitted questionnaire back to PD

10/5/22               Checked with PD on application and was informed it was on the Chiefs desk for approval.  Not sure of date application was sent to court, but the record tech @ PD said it would go over right after Chiefs approval.

10/25/22             Contacted by Court for hearing scheduled on 10/31/22.  Court assistant was very helpful.  He explained how the process was going to proceed and was informed to bring ID along with copy of pistol permit to verify the serial number of handgun for permit.

10/31/22             There was 25 applicants in court for my session. There was an earlier session and that session had 25 applicants as well as per the Court officer.  Officer reviewed how the session was going to proceed as well.   Judge reviews application, checks SN and then issued permit. 

I was fortunate to be the first application called. The entire process for myself was about half an hour.

My permit # is 493 for Passaic County. Considering that Passaic seems to be one of the few counties issuing permits a consistent basis, I believe the states estimate of over 300,000 new permits to be issued is nothing more than a scare tactic.  If all 21 counties were issuing at the same rate as Passaic (which we all know that they are not) a rough estimate would be in the area of 10,500 permits statewide (I used 500 per county) issued so far. 

NJPTC.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

It makes me smile to see you guys getting your LTC in NJ! 

It’s something I never thought would happen there. 

If only the local counties who are dragging out the process would get off their asses…

• Thanks 1

On 10/30/2022 at 1:19 PM, ShootersShooter said:

What steps did you take to get the restrictions vacated?? I am in ocean County as well.

1 hour ago, jbark said:

Ocean County. 

After my 2nd email to the Court requesting an update on my application, I received this response today:

"Received 9/21/22. GP-OCN-578-22."

That's it. 

Wow, so you're #578 and in the queue, I'm 122 and had it submitted in July, got mine end of September. Not sure of the math there but the good news is there are two judges working this now instead of one.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jbark said:

Ocean County. 

"Received 9/21/22. GP-OCN-xxx-22."

That's it. 

You should have omitted your docket number and just did 5XX (high) to indicate you're 550+
without linking it directly to your real name, lol. .

I know they haven't gotten to me and im 4XX (low). At least ocean county got rid of that Murphy plant . 

Saw he edited it so edited the quote to remove it

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Medriver99 said:

What steps did you take to get the restrictions vacated?? I am in ocean County as well.

Send an email to Judge Ryan's law clerk asking to have your Gizinski court order rescinded. Ryan's order actually spells out that sensitive area restrictions are the job of the legislature and not the judiciary.

Jessica M. Layton

Law Clerk to the Honorable Guy P. Ryan, P.J.Cr.

Superior Court of New Jersey, Ocean Vicinage

120 Hooper Avenue, Courtroom 12

Toms River, N.J. 08754

Tel: 732-504-0700, Ext. 64239

E-mail: [email protected]

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2