CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

1 hour ago, LTC said:

What process have permit holders used to add additional handguns to their permit?

Varies by county but generally you have to send a letter to the court requesting amendment, along with qual sheets and proof of ownership. If your permits have guns listed then you also need a new photo. 

Some courts want you to go through your PD. Some (like mine) want you to send it directly to the court and copy your PD. 

4 hours ago, M1152 said:

meanwhile in Mercer...

mercer_ccw_2.gif.41ca025e05991384b3066ffa99a4e0da.gif

The claim that Mercer has started issuing permits cannot be true. The claim originated after Mercer allegedly issued two permits. As of August 26th (it was sent to the judge) my application was in the 50s. I have not been notified of any changes to my application status. 

• Like 1

On 11/12/2022 at 10:15 PM, GodStrength said:

The claim that Mercer has started issuing permits cannot be true. The claim originated after Mercer allegedly issued two permits. As of August 26th (it was sent to the judge) my application was in the 50s. I have not been notified of any changes to my application status. 

The issuing / assigned judge was anti-carry, but they allegedly got replaced by a Christie appointee.

• Like 1

I have been following the process in Somerset County and from what I hear each municipality, Bridgewater,  Somerville, Hillsborough, Raritan, Branchburg, Bernardsville, Greenbrook, Montgomery, etc etc has only issued around a dozen carry permits so far.  A few may have issued none.  If I were to guess there have been maybe 200-300 carry permits issued county wide but they started late and the process is ongoing. .

21 hours ago, GodStrength said:

I think one of those two permits had some sort of a backstory. To put it in a different way I think there was a little more to it than just going through the normal permit channels.

At this point my app has been at the County longer than it took local PD and perhaps the same for yourself. So the county has now become the bottleneck. And with the exception of the kill-the-carry bill you know the wheels of local & state government are going to grind to a halt Thanksgiving week so add on another 7 days. GFH Radio said Murphy wants to sign the bill before year end otherwise they would have to re-start their process which is another story for the other thread

After submitting my complete packet on 8/25, my PD called 49 days later on 10/13 telling me I could bring in my money order, which I did that day. On 10/27 USPS confirmed the money order was cashed. I know I am in for a long wait, but other than the alleged two permits, I have not seen, nor heard, any evidence of a single permit being issued. At this point, it is my equally unsubstantiated opinion that Mercer is still not issuing permits. Apparently, some county courts, as well as our governor and legislators, could care less about the SCOTUS ruling.

On 11/12/2022 at 7:15 PM, GodStrength said:

I know one or two people who got them. Eric saperstein was one of them. 

11 hours ago, RadioGunner said:

I know one or two people who got them. Eric saperstein was one of them. 

It is day 80 (at the court house) for me and I had less than 60 people before me. If they are processing them, it's about one or two a week. There's no reason why I should still be waiting if they were processing them at an efficient rate.

4 minutes ago, GodStrength said:

It is day 80 (at the court house) for me and I had less than 60 people before me. If they are processing them, it's about one or two a week. There's no reason why I should still be waiting if they were processing them at an efficient rate.

Amen. The approvals should be a formality at this point... 

7 minutes ago, Xtors said:

Amen. The approvals should be a formality at this point... 

I just called the court house and was informed my application is near the front of the list at this point. However, it has yet to be sent to the prosecutor's office. Furthermore, I was informed there is no ETA as to when it will be sent. At this point, it is safe to assume that Mercer County is putting applications on the back burner. 

For a status update on your permit to carry a handgun, you can contact Nicholas Kowalchuk, Law Clerk to Hon. Patrick J. Bartels, J.S.C. at 609-571-4200 x74152

So let me get this straight, GodStrength (in the 50's) calls and is told it hasn't been sent to the prosecutor, then Golf battery (76) calls and is told it's at the prosecutor, and even what number they are working on? Sounds to me that someone there is either uninformed or flat out lying, I wonder which it could be?

21 minutes ago, bennj said:

So let me get this straight, GodStrength (in the 50's) calls and is told it hasn't been sent to the prosecutor, then Golf battery (76) calls and is told it's at the prosecutor, and even what number they are working on? Sounds to me that someone there is either uninformed or flat out lying, I wonder which it could be?

The latter.

2 hours ago, bennj said:

I think what the assistant meant wAs the the numbers up to 42 are with the prosecutors right now.  Mine isnt.  Another friend of mine just said he handed his a few weeks after mine and his number on permit is less than mine.  Its obviously not well organized down there.  So time will tell.  Remember folks.   Were dealing with govt employees.  

15 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

Shooters in Little Egg Harbor does a very good job and they charge less than many others

https://www.shootersnj.com/

Agreed, back in July you could shoot one gun and then list as many as you like on the form. The thinking was if you could show how to safely handle a firearm, all good. They never even check the targets, just collected them for the trash. Our instructor said we really didn’t even have to shoot the pistol to qualify but they did it anyway. It appears they have pulled back on how many you could list, may have to qualify with each now.

14 hours ago, Moutinas said:

Agreed, back in July you could shoot one gun and then list as many as you like on the form. The thinking was if you could show how to safely handle a firearm, all good. They never even check the targets, just collected them for the trash. Our instructor said we really didn’t even have to shoot the pistol to qualify but they did it anyway. It appears they have pulled back on how many you could list, may have to qualify with each now.

Thank you very much both of you.

15 hours ago, Moutinas said:

You can thank the jackass from Barnegat for that. 
True shooters used to let you list other guns you werent shooting but as the saying goes it takes one idiot to ruin it
The moron from Barnegat thought he was gearing up for WW3 and listed 10 handguns he qualified with. Barnegat police department rejected the application due to the list of guns, they went crying back to shooters and as a result shooters decided to only allow 1 gun per qual. 

• Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, IhateNJ said:

True shooters used to let you list other guns you werent shooting but as the saying goes it takes one idiot to ruin it
The moron from Barnegat thought he was gearing up for WW3 and listed 10 handguns he qualified with. Barnegat police department rejected the application due to the list of guns, they went crying back to shooters and as a result shooters decided to only allow 1 gun per qual. 

Aha, well that explains things. They had 4 lines to enter your carry guns so I figured why not put four down. I wasn't sure which I'd be carrying at the time.

33 minutes ago, IhateNJ said:

If it wasn't the jackass from Barnegate, it would have been some other jackass from somewhere else.  The real jackass is whomever it was at shooters that went along with adding ten gats to the application.

• Disagree 1

17 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

You should be able to carry whatever handgun you own period. On my NY permit depending on time of year and where I'm going I carry a full sized 1911 down to a North American Arms mini revolver (better than a pointy stick) and any thing I own in between.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Scorpio64 said:

If it wasn't the jackass from Barnegate, it would have been some other jackass from somewhere else.  The real jackass is whomever it was at shooters that went along with adding ten gats to the application.

I don’t see the problem with adding 10, or 50 guns to your carry permit. Who gives a shit? 

If you are legal to carry and meet the requirements, you should be able to carry any damn thing you want. 

That’s REALLY the point that should be addressed. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

I don’t see the problem with adding 10, or 50 guns to your carry permit. Who gives a shit? 

If you are legal to carry and meet the requirements, you should be able to carry any damn thing you want. 

That’s REALLY the point that should be addressed. 

If we lived in America I would agree with you. Hell the statute even says the permit is good for any gun you own. But you have to remember where you are this is NJ and they will be damned giving you too much freedom. NJ is a boreline commie state and should be a sober reminder to those who think voting dem is ever a good idea.  
I always tell people NJ is like living in North Korea but instead of a lard-ass like kim jong un we have a giant gopher as the would be king of this 3rd world shit-hole he is turning the state into. 

murphey.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, IhateNJ said:

Hell the statute even says the permit is good for any gun you own.

THIS is the point…..

If the statute says you can carry any gun you own, are some counties deciding upon their own that you can only carry what you qualify with/have listed on your permit? 

I’m not exactly sure how the law is written, but if it doesn’t specify that you can only carry what you qualify with, I see yet another lawsuit in NJ’s future. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, brucin said:

You should be able to carry whatever handgun you own period. On my NY permit depending on time of year and where I'm going I carry a full sized 1911 down to a North American Arms mini revolver (better than a pointy stick) and any thing I own in between.

That's been my issue all along with this process. In NJ we have to jump through more hoops just to buy the handgun then most people in other states do to get a CCW. Then, we have to pay again to apply for a CCW, pay for a qualifying class and pay for each gun we want to qualify with. Then, you get a list of sensitive locations, which ends up you can only carry in the deep woods or getting your mail. Makes no sense.

What's worse, many guys jumped right in and went along with this crazy process instead of pushing back. So the politicians know they can control the herd again. Rinse. Repeat.

13 minutes ago, samiam said:

Seriously? How is your criticism (or that of the OP) compliant with the 2nd Amendment? Not even the totally FUCKED UP and UNCONSTITUTIONAL NJ statute places any limit on the number of hand guns that may be used for carry, or requires that qualification of any kind be done with each, it stipulates only that the guns be owned by and familiar to the carrier. In my opinion, people who claim to support the 2nd, but speak up in favor of this kind of infringing BULLSHIT and waste no time in criticising others who choose to ignore or or otherwise attempt to bypass unconstitutional restrictions on their rights are as much enemies of the 2nd A and the rest of the Bill of RIghts as the idiot NJ Legislature, possibly more so, as most of those ass clowns don't make any serious pretense to support it. There is no question in my mind that statements of this kind are far more harmful to carry rights than some guy who believed the Constitution means what it says and listed 10 guns to save some time and money.   

You're still missing the point ..why is the core concept too hard? i believe you should be carry and own whatever you want. If you have the money for it. Hell my carry gun would be a SMG . However this is NJ and they will look for anything to limit you they can. Look at the anti carry bill BS they are trying to push. Look at the damn shit we have to do just to beg to buy a gun. Mostly any other state does not ask what gun you are going to carry with. Its just this stupid state filled with mentally handicapped people as there is no other reason for all the blue votes. 

Basically know your target crowd and with NJ being as anti gun as it is you would think you would not want stand out like a sore thumb and get swatted back in line and that's exactly what that person had happen to them. 

22 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

If the statute says you can carry any gun you own, are some counties deciding upon their own that you can only carry what you qualify with/have listed on your permit? 

You can carry any gun you own, as long as you qual with it.  If my understanding of the situation is correct, the problem was not with the number of guns, but that the shooter didn't actually qual with most of them.