CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

1 minute ago, Scorpio64 said:

You can carry any gun you own, as long as you qual with it.  If my understanding of the situation is correct, the problem was not with the number of guns, but that the shooter didn't actually qual with most of them. 

Not exactly. The statute states you can can carry any gun you wish. It also confers power to judges to add limitations. It is the judges issuing this court order saying you can only carry what you qual with.

8 minutes ago, g17owner said:

Not exactly. The statute states you can can carry any gun you wish. It also confers power to judges to add limitations. It is the judges issuing this court order saying you can only carry what you qual with.

It specifies you must qualify with the TYPE of pistol you will carry.  Not any gun you own?   Types of pistols.  Semi and revolver. Jus sayen.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, g17owner said:

It is the judges issuing this court order saying you can only carry what you qual with.

Which is no different than what I just said.  If you qual with two guns, you may carry them.  If you qual with eight guns, then carry any of them.

The question is;  are you only allowed to qual with 4 guns, or can you qual with as many guns as you want. 

Guns can't be listed on the permit if there was no qual.  Again, if I understand correctly, an app with 10 guns was rejected.  Qualifying with ten guns would take a long time and cost a small fortune.  The cops doubted the validity and questioned it, consequently learning the applicant did not actually qual with all the listed guns.

All I'm gonna say is this, and leave it at that, as I have no dog in this race anyway.  If one "dials it up to 11"  don't be surprised when a speaker blows out.

8 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

All I'm gonna say is this, and leave it at that, as I have no dog in this race anyway. 

I’d beg to differ…you DO have a dog in this race. It’s your state, and your lawmakers are fucking over law abiding citizens…because feelings. 

I would say that as a gun owner in NJ, it MAKES it your fight, even if you’re not applying for a LTC. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, g17owner said:

It also confers power to judges to add limitations.

So once the judges are removed from the equation, and they will be because they want to be, then we can carry any firearm we own.

If it was only $10 per additional firearm I would have qualified with every one I own.

I personally think the costs of the qualifiers across the board are prison rape but so is anything that has to do with firearms in NJ. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, brucin said:

So once the judges are removed from the equation, and they will be because they want to be, then we can carry any firearm we own.

If it was only $10 per additional firearm I would have qualified with every one I own.

I personally think the costs of the qualifiers across the board are prison rape but so is anything that has to do with firearms in NJ. 

I did all mine for $25 each except a single action army 22 replica pistol by heritage arms. So now I have 4 guns on the order. The initial was $125 so total $200 to qualify with 4 guns. Yes it’s expensive and an infringement. Not disputing that. 

38 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

I’d beg to differ…you DO have a dog in this race. It’s your state, and your lawmakers are fucking over law abiding citizens…because feelings. 

I would say that as a gun owner in NJ, it MAKES it your fight, even if you’re not applying for a 

4 minutes ago, RadioGunner said:

Yes it’s expensive and an infringement. Not disputing that. 

It's kinda like making folks pay a tax to vote.    Dems screamed bloody murder when voter ID was suggested  In spite of most states issuing ID for FREE to poor people.  Their argument was any cost associated with voting is a poll tax and any inconvenience is racist.

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, Scorpio64 said:

You can carry any gun you own, as long as you qual with it.  If my understanding of the situation is correct, the problem was not with the number of guns, but that the shooter didn't actually qual with most of them. 

Here is a problem with that 

2C:58-4 Permits to carry handguns. 2C:58-4. a. Scope and duration of authority. Any person who holds a valid permit to carry a handgun issued pursuant to this section shall be authorized to carry a handgun in all parts of this State, except as prohibited by subsection e. of N.J.S.2C:39-5. One permit shall be sufficient for all handguns owned by the holder thereof, but the permit shall apply only to a handgun carried by the actual and legal holder of the permit.

So based off that I should be able to "qualify" with a .22 and then carry a .50AE if I wanted to. Thats how it was on NJ pre Bruen. Just like NJ was fine with their carry laws before. They change it because how do you think you have any rights they dont want you to have in this stupid state because morons keep voting in other morons. 

1 hour ago, brucin said:

Right. Typically, an indoor range will charge $25-$30 per hour. Now, for that same hour, they're getting $150-$200. Multiply that by 5 or 10 people qualifying at once, minus the cost of the main instructor and a couple of assistant instructors who might even be volunteers and its quite a racket.

1 hour ago, Scorpio64 said:

It's kinda like making folks pay a tax to vote.    Dems screamed bloody murder when voter ID was suggested  In spite of most states issuing ID for FREE to poor people.  Their argument was any cost associated with voting is a poll tax and any inconvenience is racist.

The only consolation is that gun for hire gets the money and they support 2A in very concrete ways. Not to mention I got an excuse to shoot. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, g17owner said:

Right. Typically, an indoor range will charge $25-$30 per hour. Now, for that same hour, they're getting $150-$200. Multiply that by 5 or 10 people qualifying at once, minus the cost of the main instructor and a couple of assistant instructors who might even be volunteers and its quite a racket.

Think  about all the money  were  pumping  in to the NJ  economy  all those 50.00 money  orders, photos, extra ammo to train,Qualifications ,fingerprinting and I'm  probably  forgetting  a few things  along the journey. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wrigs4095 said:

Think  about all the money  were  pumping  in to the NJ  economy  all those 50.00 money  orders, photos, extra ammo to train,Qualifications ,fingerprinting and I'm  probably  forgetting  a few things  along the journey. 

just wait til the state increases every fee!

4 hours ago, IhateNJ said:

So based off that I should be able to "qualify" with a .22 and then carry a .50AE if I wanted to.

Where was "qualifying" noted in that statue? It says any "handgun owned", not "handgun qualified" with. I see no differentiation on make, model, caliber, etc., just "owned" as the qualifier.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, BigGuns said:

Where was "qualifying" noted in that statue? It says any "handgun owned", not "handgun qualified" with. I see no differentiation on make, model, caliber, etc., just "owned" as the qualifier.

It is the result of conflating the rules for RPO permits with the rules for civilian carry permits. RPO have to qualify every 6 months with the actual gun they carry. You know, these highly trained professionals who would put a civilian shooter to shame. /sarc

The NJ elite just don't want peons being able to carry. God forbid they get the idea that they might just be able to pull off self sufficiency and no longer be dependent on the government to provide for their every need.

• Agree 4

14 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

Guess what

You need a government issued photo ID to do a NICS check. That must mean NICS checks are racist. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NJ2AMBR said:

I figured about 350$ to get this app submitted. Qual was 165$ plus 35$ additional firearm... 57$ for prints.. . 35$ for 4 photos...50$ TO State.

Yeah, mine was similar (a bit less), but I just view it as we're kind of taking one for the team by submitting early.

Hopefully the process will achieve some kind of 'normal' state and it won't be as expensive going forward...

55 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

Yeah, mine was similar (a bit less), but I just view it as we're kind of taking one for the team by submitting early.

Hopefully the process will achieve some kind of 'normal' state and it won't be as expensive going forward...

Once we have a few NJ specific wins under our belt I would like to see a challenge to the excessive fees. Divide what we all paid by two years and it’s not insignificant. Maybe if they made the permit 5 years, that would help.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Moutinas said:

Once we have a few NJ specific wins under our belt I would like to see a challenge to the excessive fees. Divide what we all paid by two years and it’s not insignificant. Maybe if they made the permit 5 years, that would help.

Hell, I’d like to see a reversal of the 10rd magazine limit.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Moutinas said:

More important than the fees are the penalties for ANY violation. Almost everything is a felony offense. In other states, misdemeanor or summons.

With a felony (crime in NJ), you lose your gun rights and your guns, your right to vote, can certainly affect your job or prospects of getting a job. It can affect custodial hearings and things of that nature for the people unfortunate enough to have those kinds of problems. I mean, it can have long-lasting and irreversible effects. 

This can happen for accidental violations of the law, non-violent, non-dangerous mistakes. It ain't right. 

The Supreme Court would likely say this violates the 8th amendment and has a "chilling effect" on the right. People would be right to be scared to practice their 2A.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, g17owner said:

More important than the fees are the penalties for ANY violation. Almost everything is a felony offense. In other states, misdemeanor or summons.

With a felony (crime in NJ), you lose your gun rights and your guns, your right to vote, can certainly affect your job or prospects of getting a job. It can affect custodial hearings and things of that nature for the people unfortunate enough to have those kinds of problems. I mean, it can have long-lasting and irreversible effects. 

This can happen for accidental violations of the law, non-violent, non-dangerous mistakes. It ain't right. 

The Supreme Court would likely say this violates the 8th amendment and has a "chilling effect" on the right. People would be right to be scared to practice their 2A.

This

57 minutes ago, g17owner said:

Honestly, I hope and pray ANJPRC is looking to challenge the entire framework of NJ firearm law which imbedded in this bill not just the sensitive place, for instance FID, Pistol Permits (All that is required in majority of states is NICS for these two), 30 day rule, excessive fees, excessive penalties, excessive delays as a result of all this non-sense, there is absolutely no history or tradition of it.  This is a real opportunity to get rid of all of this in one lawsuit.  I just hope they make sure they have lined up the right Plaintiff's so that there is Standing on all these violations of the constitution.

28 minutes ago, RadioGunner said:

That appeal is already in the works. It was pushed back down by the supreme court in light of Bruen. However ANJRPC may need plaintiffs.

Im your huckleberry. I've been paying $6.66 per month for the last 4 years to store my magazines with an FFL.

5 minutes ago, Chad-williams said:

Which court does your application go to to get approval? Is it the superior court of your county? For instance, if i lived in Cumberland county, would i need to contact the superior court of Cumberland county ?

Yes