CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

I'm currently at day 58. I emailed the department i submitted my application to today, and they confirmed that my application was sent to the court however they didn't tell me when it was sent. I am aware that my county is having a permit hearing on Nov. 28, so i will be diligently checking my mailbox until Monday. From people i know who've gotten permits, the court likes to mail you exactly 1 week before the hearing.

Sorry I didn’t post this sooner.

Union County here. 
Submitted application mid July. Received my PTC mid Oct. 

96 total days.

Under restrictions, “none” was checked off on the permit. 
The firearm I qualified with is listed on the permit.

PD was great, kept me in the loop the entire time.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tony13 said:

Hoping someone can help me out. Filling out my PTC form I’m not sure what to put in for my Municipal code. I’m Monmouth County with Hamilton State Police Barracks being the place I submit my paperwork to. Do I use their ORI number?

Had the same problem. Call the department you're submitting your app to and ask them.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Tony13 said:

Hoping someone can help me out. Filling out my PTC form I’m not sure what to put in for my Municipal code. I’m Monmouth County with Hamilton State Police Barracks being the place I submit my paperwork to. Do I use their ORI number?

Use your 4 digit municipal code of your residence. The one you put on your state income tax. 

https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/lpt/cntycode.pdf

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Just read through the entire amended bill from 11/14. There is only one worthy thing to note amongst the dumpster fire that is 4769..

They changed the definition of "holster". No more retention strap lingo. Great news chaps, you can wear your kydex to the mailbox... still.

h.  For purposes of this section, “holster” means a device or sheath that securely retains a handgun which, at a minimum, conceals and protects the main body of the firearm, maintains the firearm in a consistent and accessible position, and renders the trigger covered and inaccessible while the handgun is fully seated in the holster. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chad-williams said:

I'm currently at day 58. I emailed the department i submitted my application to today, and they confirmed that my application was sent to the court however they didn't tell me when it was sent. I am aware that my county is having a permit hearing on Nov. 28, so i will be diligently checking my mailbox until Monday. From people i know who've gotten permits, the court likes to mail you exactly 1 week before the hearing.

how do you find out when the hearings are?

7 hours ago, joeg said:

how do you find out when the hearings are?

You can subscribe to the bills through the NJ legislature website. You have to subscribe to the Assembly(A4769) and Senate(S3214) bills separately.

• Like 1

It's horrible that the empire of NJ continues to make lawful citizens go through so much crap for a protected constitutional right. Does anyone know if Hillsborough township issued any permits yet? My family and I used to live in Hillsborough and getting our P2P was usually really simple and took less than 30 days. We moved to SD about 10 months ago, no permit needed here. 

I'm at day 115.

My MO was finally cashed last week by, but two calls to the court (Morris county) have yielded no update.  When I called earlier this week I was told my information was being e-mailed to the person in charge of following up on permits and he'd "get back to me".

22 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

I'm at day 115.

My MO was finally cashed last week by, but two calls to the court (Morris county) have yielded no update.  When I called earlier this week I was told my information was being e-mailed to the person in charge of following up on permits and he'd "get back to me".

I'm at day 87 but mine was just sent to the court on the 7th. How long was yours at the court before your MO was cashed?

Permit in-hand!

I had my hearing this morning in Gloucester County. I received an email a couple weeks ago from the judge’s secretary telling me to appear. There were about a hundred people there for the morning session. There is another in the afternoon. 

They called in groups, township by township… biggest groups first. Washington Twp was the biggest with 31 people. I’m from Woolwich Twp, and was the third group. The judge said he already reviewed the applications, background checks and qualifications so this would go pretty quickly. He also said that if anyone wanted to add an additional gun later, they should send an original qualification to his secretary and he will issue an amended court order. There is no need to come back.

He called each person up individually, in no obvious order. He swore us in and asked three questions: Are you (name)? When you filled out the application, we’re you truthful? Have any of the answers changed since then? I answered yes, yes, no. He asked the prosecutor if there was any objection, to which she answered no every time. He then said he’s approving the application for the guns I qualified with. He read out the make, model, caliber and serial number of each.

The secretary came over to get me to sign the permit, and took it back to make a copy. Then I sat back down to wait. After a bunch of people went, the judge took a break. The secretary called off names and handed out permits and the court orders limiting us to the listed guns. The permit has See Court Order marked. I was there 9-11:30.

It was 98 days. I submitted my application 8/10. No references were ever contacted. Permit number is in the mid 300’s.

• Like 6
  • Informative 2

20 hours ago, g17owner said:

Im your huckleberry. I've been paying $6.66 per month for the last 4 years to store my magazines with an FFL.

We've been paying about $6,000 a year to support a house in PA to store our 'high capacity' magazines.

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, snappy456 said:

Permit in-hand!

I had my hearing this morning in Gloucester County. I received an email a couple weeks ago from the judge’s secretary telling me to appear. There were about a hundred people there for the morning session. There is another in the afternoon. 

They called in groups, township by township… biggest groups first. Washington Twp was the biggest with 31 people. I’m from Woolwich Twp, and was the third group. The judge said he already reviewed the applications, background checks and qualifications so this would go pretty quickly. He also said that if anyone wanted to add an additional gun later, they should send an original qualification to his secretary and he will issue an amended court order. There is no need to come back.

He called each person up individually, in no obvious order. He swore us in and asked three questions: Are you (name)? When you filled out the application, we’re you truthful? Have any of the answers changed since then? I answered yes, yes, no. He asked the prosecutor if there was any objection, to which she answered no every time. He then said he’s approving the application for the guns I qualified with. He read out the make, model, caliber and serial number of each.

The secretary came over to get me to sign the permit, and took it back to make a copy. Then I sat back down to wait. After a bunch of people went, the judge took a break. The secretary called off names and handed out permits and the court orders limiting us to the listed guns. The permit has See Court Order marked. I was there 9-11:30.

It was 98 days. I submitted my application 8/10. No references were ever contacted. Permit number is in the mid 300’s.

Congrats !!!

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, brucin said:

I'm at day 87 but mine was just sent to the court on the 7th. How long was yours at the court before your MO was cashed?

Hard to tell exactly, but my app went from my PD to the court around the 13th of October, and the MO reflected as cashed on the 9th of November.

37 minutes ago, M1152 said:

quite an undertaking by the judge and a little over the top

I'll see your bet and raise it, lol...actually, it sounds waaay over the top to me, like it's adding NO serious value to have a judge involved in the process at all, and even worse, by making these judges act essentially as a "rubber stamp" - it's taking their time away from focusing on other more important legal matters. They either need to get the courts out of the process altogether - or reserve them only for very limited, escalated cases where the police have some reasonable questions or concerns about the applicant and want a judge to weigh in. This current process seems utterly ridiculous. As a taxpayer, I hate to see waste and inefficiency like this. 

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, snappy456 said:

He called each person up individually, in no obvious order. He swore us in and asked three questions: Are you (name)? When you filled out the application, we’re you truthful? Have any of the answers changed since then? I answered yes, yes, no. He asked the prosecutor if there was any objection, to which she answered no every time. He then said he’s approving the application for the guns I qualified with.

Seriously??!!!!!!  What a waste of resources. 

16 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I'll see your bet and raise it, lol...actually, it sounds waaay over the top to me, like it's adding NO serious value to have a judge involved in the process at all, and even worse, by making these judges act essentially as a "rubber stamp" - it's taking their time away from focusing on other more important legal matters. They either need to get the courts out of the process altogether - or reserve them only for very limited, escalated cases where the police have some reasonable questions or concerns about the applicant and want a judge to weigh in. This current process seems utterly ridiculous. As a taxpayer, I hate to see waste and inefficiency like this. 

6 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

Seriously??!!!!!!  What a waste of resources. 

Also an additional burden on the applicant. My work schedule is booked 3-6 months in advance. I rarely have someone available to cover for me at work. Luckily, I have not heard of my County doing this. 

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, kc17 said:

Also an additional burden on the applicant. My work schedule is booked 3-6 months in advance. I rarely have someone available to cover for me at work. Luckily, I have not heard of my County doing this. 

My buddy just got a letter for Salem County judge Linda Lawhun  on 11/16 for a court appearance for his permit on 12/15 … however he is in a similiar situation he is on the other side of the country for work… he said he called to speak with someone about the possibility of a zoom/Skype type of thing… but is waiting to head back from the “person that handles the judges stuff”

one of the posts above mentioned signing the permit and it being issued following the interview by the judge. I’ll let him know to ask about that should they agree to a video interview. …. It seems so ridulous that all the other states it’s a mail in and recieve in 1-2 months 

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, pjd832 said:

It seems so ridulous that all the other states it’s a mail in and recieve in 1-2 months 

Texas is, take a course, submit application online with fingerprints, and your permit is mailed to you when approved. 

Mine took 2 weeks from submitting the forms. 

6 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

Texas is, take a course, submit application online with fingerprints, and your permit is mailed to you when approved. 

Mine took 2 weeks from submitting the forms. 

Nice! Is it an electronic fingerprint place like nj uses?

3 hours ago, pjd832 said:

Nice! Is it an electronic fingerprint place like nj uses?

It's the same identogo. 

The class is not bad. They cover Texas laws, use of force, conflict de-escalation and a live fire qual. Most of the shots are at 5 yards, qualify with any gun, carry any gun. You can even rent a gun. I did it years ago when it was called a CHL. You can now even take the classroom portion online. For residents they use your photo on file with the DMV. 

15 minutes ago, RadioGunner said:

It's the same identogo. 

The class is not bad. They cover Texas laws, use of force, conflict de-escalation and a live fire qual. Most of the shots are at 5 yards, qualify with any gun, carry any gun. You can even rent a gun. I did it years ago when it was called a CHL. You can now even take the classroom portion online. For residents they use your photo on file with the DMV. 

The class was 6 hours, and as you point out, it was mostly about Texas law, and use of force. 

You’re incorrect about the photo, they take a new pic when you get fingerprinted. Not that it’s a big deal. 

The course of fire was easy, they want to see that you can safely handle a weapon more than anything else. There were some pretty BAD shots there (I’m looking at YOU, 80 year old dude with the 10mm handgun). One guy in my course should have had his firearm taken from him by the instructor, he was muzzle sweeping everyone. I thought about shooting him myself. 

Course of fire was 3, 5, 7, and 15 yards. 50 rounds. 

You can carry anything you want, it doesn’t have to be what you qualified with. 

• Like 1