CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

8 hours ago, Gidian said:

Will PD take a cashiers check?

I gave them a bank check.They accepted and cashed it. Its much harder to see if they cashed it, you have to call the bank, no way to check online, at least not at my bank.

A Post Office money order you can go online and see if and when they cashed it.

Update from Middlesex County…

8/15 applied

9/1 pd called and said mailed to court 

9/15 pd called to say your notary stamp not there. The raised seal was, but not the rectangular box  

10/3 given back with notary stamp in place 

11/1 called criminal division at x. 88155. Person said it was sent up to the judge on 10/12. Couldn’t give a timetable but said to ‘um expect a call soon’. 

12/9 got a letter from judge that no proof ownership included. Went to pd and they said I was the second person to receive that letter today and that it was bs.

• FacePalm 1

On 12/7/2022 at 10:44 PM, MJFNJ said:

I gave them a bank check.They accepted and cashed it. Its much harder to see if they cashed it, you have to call the bank, no way to check online, at least not at my bank.

A Post Office money order you can go online and see if and when they cashed it.

2 hours ago, samiam said:

Depends on your bank. Mine (Sturdy Savings) not only allows me to see on-line when a check has been cashed, but for most checks will show me an image of front and back (some mostly large vendors cashing checks don't support transmitting those images back to the bank). 

I'm not sure why anyone would want to risk using a check when the instructions specify  to use a Money Order.

Permit_To_Carry_Instructions.thumb.JPG.3a9fcc22fb30d66aa7132833cd707515.JPG

5 hours ago, MJFNJ said:

I did not send  a regular check I sent a bank check also known as a cashiers check, which  is the same as money order but from the bank.

Bank check != money order.  My bank offers both -- I opted for the "personal money order".  They work the same way, but they are different.  As M1152 points out, not using a money order gives them a chance to deny you, if they choose to be picky.

52 minutes ago, samiam said:

f you read my post and the one I commented on again, you will find that I never suggested using a check.

I didn't say you did..

I posted what the instructions & requirements for obtaining a carry permit. I didn’t post to compare payment equivalents, differences or miscellaneous payment tracking techniques. Now if someone wants to buck the system good for them but let’s be clear it’s a Money Order that is requested. Suggesting any other payment method is misleading.  

Keep in mind we’re all entering into a process where if your local officials are looking for any reason to delay or boot out your app from consideration why would anyone knowing supply them any reason is beyond me. So let’s not normalize cashier checks for the app payment process. The point is the state is asking for a Money Order for payment and nothing else...

On 12/11/2022 at 10:09 AM, Deff said:

12/9 got a letter from judge that no proof ownership included. Went to pd and they said I was the second person to receive that letter today and that it was bs.

Holy crap!

That would put me over the edge.

I've been waiting over 120 days and I've accepted that it's going to be a LONG process, but to have that bullshit done at the 11th hour?

Insane.

You DEFINITELY need to send that over to Strikeforce!!!!!!!

What county is this?

9 minutes ago, samiam said:

No point in contacting Stirke Force as I did that when I passed Day 60, I have re

Respectfully, we're talking about totally different scenarios.

The process moving slowly is different than receiving a lie ("got a letter from judge that no proof ownership included) from the court!

If Strikeforce tried to act on every mail from someone who was past 60 days they'd never get anything accomplished...

42 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

Holy crap!

That would put me over the edge.

I've been waiting over 120 days and I've accepted that it's going to be a LONG process, but to have that bullshit done at the 11th hour?

Insane.

You DEFINITELY need to send that over to Strikeforce!!!!!!!

What county is this?

Middlesex. 

I heard that one should submit 2 pistol qualifications first then once approved then send in additional pistol qualifications so not to arise any red flags with the judge? Is that true? I handed in much more than 2 qualifications because it takes forever after approved to add on the qualifications. I'm by Totowa NJ.

54 minutes ago, Tesla2014 said:

I heard that one should submit 2 pistol qualifications first then once approved then send in additional pistol qualifications so not to arise any red flags with the judge? Is that true? I handed in much more than 2 qualifications because it takes forever after approved to add on the qualifications. I'm by Totowa NJ.

I wish.  Monmouth County won't let you add... They want a brand new application.  Because that's very efficient...

• FacePalm 1