CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

Does anyone have any updates on Ocean county? I know there are lots of people that have been waiting for longer, but I'd love to have an idea of the approximate wait. I dropped everything off on 9/1.

Does anyone have any updates on Ocean county? I know there are lots of people that have been waiting for longer, but I'd love to have an idea of the approximate wait. I dropped everything off on 9/1.

3 hours ago, Schrödinger's cat said:

JA,

I submitted to Berkeley on 8/12. They sent my stuff to OC Sup. Ct. on 9/12. I am # 537 in the county. I do not know where they are in the pile, but I did send them of sternly worded email last night asking "WTF, it has been nearly 5 months"

Let's see if they respond.

I will keep you in the loop.

DG

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

6 minutes ago, RMcG323 said:

Has anyone had any luck with getting local PD to issue a carry permit? Seems as though it's not on anyone's mind and there will just be a pile at every local PD collecting dust

Ummm, pretty sure plenty have their PTC thru local PDs

12 minutes ago, RMcG323 said:

What are the issuing? My local says they have no guidance or permits to issue?

There blowing smoke up you know  where, you get the Application  from them Schedule  your Qualification  get your prints and photos done  references  fill out in triplicate  notarized  turn in with your  certificate  that says you passed  Qualification  they have to approve  or deny you  wthin 60 days i believe. The court  is out of the process  now .I turned  my app in on September 26 My Pd called  me on November  7th said I'm  approved and sent to Gloucester county  Superior court i recently  spoke to clerk  who told me I'm  probably  getting  my permit  mid February  ,you my friend  should  be skipping  that step  once you've  fullfillled the  application  process. 

10 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

Not sure if serious?

What town is telling you that?

I’m up in Sussex county. What do you think isn’t serious? I haven’t seen anyone who’s paperwork didn’t get to the county court prior to the new bill being signed say they were issued a carry permit by a town. The state hasn’t provided anyway from the chief of police to issue. 

11 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

It does not surprise me that the government put the issuing responsibility on the PDs without giving them any blank permits to fill in and issue.

"blank permits"

My permit was color laser printed with my photo glued to the paper. Not even folded, front and back side of the permit printed on the top of the page. I had to cut then fold and go to a store to get it laminated. So long as they have a color printer, scissors and glue any PD can do this. They simply need the graphic file from the NJSP

14 hours ago, RMcG323 said:

What are the issuing? My local says they have no guidance or permits to issue?

When I picked up my permit officer said this was the last one the court would be issuing but that the town did not have any blank permits to issue moving forward. He then said I assume I will have to get down to the State Police HQ they will be able to issue them to us.  He then laughed that everything is changing so fast it is almost impossible to keep up.

Good guy caught in the middle doing the best he could.  I have never had an issue with my town( Franklin Lakes), Always very responsive and respectful. 

45 minutes ago, Moutinas said:

"blank permits"

My permit was color laser printed with my photo glued to the paper. Not even folded, front and back side of the permit printed on the top of the page. I had to cut then fold and go to a store to get it laminated. So long as they have a color printer, scissors and glue any PD can do this. They simply need the graphic file from the NJSP

Did you get yours from a local PD or NJSP?

7 hours ago, RMcG323 said:

I’m up in Sussex county. What do you think isn’t serious? I haven’t seen anyone who’s paperwork didn’t get to the county court prior to the new bill being signed say they were issued a carry permit by a town. The state hasn’t provided anyway from the chief of police to issue. 

Here is a whole thread, just for you.

https://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/104665-sussex-county-carry-permits/page/6/&tab=comments#comment-1417109

I tried a search but came up with too many irrelevant results, I started the process then held back because of all the changes that was expected, so I have not gotten around to the qualification.  I’m looking to use Gun For Hire’s qualification, has anyone used them for their application?  Just wanted to make sure it was an acceptable qualification for the CCW…Sorry if this has been answered already somewhere.

7 minutes ago, supranatural said:

I tried a search but came up with too many irrelevant results, I started the process then held back because of all the changes that was expected, so I have not gotten around to the qualification.  I’m looking to use Gun For Hire’s qualification, has anyone used them for their application?  Just wanted to make sure it was an acceptable qualification for the CCW…Sorry if this has been answered already somewhere.

@gunforhire is the place to go if you are close. Im in South Jersey, but did take the long drive to get my Utah CCW years ago.

5 hours ago, supranatural said:

I did my qual at RTSP in Union if that’s closer to you.

On 1/8/2023 at 1:05 PM, Schrödinger's cat said:

Here is the response I rec'd...

"Due to the new law passed under Gov. Murphy any applications received after 12/22/22 will be processed at the police departments. Those received prior will remain with the courts. We are processing our backlog quicker now that the prosecutors office is no longer part of the review process. Once your number is reached Judge will review your file and sign your ptc or request a hearing."

So this seems to say what I suspected....that those who applied after 12/22 could get a carry permit BEFORE I do because my application is stuck in a pile at the county. I was hoping the county would simple send the piled up apps back to the police depts to be issued. Oh well.....

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

18 hours ago, supranatural said:

I did my qual at GFH and 1st time at that range Anthony was walking by and stop to say hello and even gave me a copy of his book. Great guy. That was in early Nov. Since than life went to shit got the wu han and everything. Now I am guessing I have to redo my app and get new sigs and everything. I had everything all set to submit and than everything went sideways. Now I will have to pay the extra fee's etc.  

53 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

Got the call today! Going to pick up my permit tomorrow or Friday. 

Middlesex County. Took about 120 days. 

Is there a link to the current state of laws regarding this. Just want to make sure I'm doing it all right. 

Glad to hear it.

Mine was yesterday in Morris.  Over 160 days for me.

• Like 2
  • FacePalm 1

On 1/8/2023 at 1:05 PM, Schrödinger's cat said:

<<<<< Ocean County Update >>>>> Yesterday a friend of a friend was issued his permit. He applied at LEHT in early September and has an applicant # in the 330's. I applied Aug 12, but it did not get to the county until Sep 12. My number is in the 530's. 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

Mods, any way to get a sticky with current laws regarding concealed carry?

Here is a link for a brief synopsis of the changes made after Judge Bumb's Koons V. Reynolds decision on 1/9/22. But please note - the information in this link is subject to change:

https://www.mendhamnj.org/documents/Summary A4769.pdf

Also a link to the Koons V Reynolds forum page:

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Blairsden said:

Here is a link for a brief synopsis of the changes made after Judge Bumb's Koons V. Reynolds decision on 1/9/22. But please note - the information in this link is subject to change:

https://www.mendhamnj.org/documents/Summary A4769.pdf

Also a link to the Koons V Reynolds forum page:

Thanks for sharing this.

It's definitely a moving target, but they way things are presented at the link are VERY useful.

I'm glad so many people flooded the system and forced the state to issue permits right away.  i suspect a LOT of people would have hesitated to apply at all if this legislation had passed immediately after Bruen.