CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

Gloucester County:

I wanted to pass along some information I received in an email yesterday from Tracy at the GC courthouse. She said (and I’ll post pics of the email chain) that if I/we/you have your PTC with “see court order” checked that you no longer need to have firearms added and that I/we/you can carry any firearm we own. This is because of the passing of A4769.

May be an image of text that says '7:25 [External] [External]Thankyo... In light of recent Amendments to NJSA 2C:58-4, you will no longer need to submit a request to add additional firearms to your Permit to Carry. So long as you are the actual and official owner of firearm, you may carry it pursuant to your original permit. Keep in mind that the only restrictions by which you must abide are those set forth in the recent legislation amending NJSA 2C:58-4. THIS LEGISLATION SUPERSEDES ANY PRIOR ORDER ISSUED BY THIS COURT. If you need any additional clarification or information please do not hesitate to contact me. Tracy'

• Informative 1

33 minutes ago, RMcG323 said:

i was told that as of Tuesday the permit template was available to local PD's via a NJSP website they have access to. I was also told that it wasn't working properly. Has anyone had any luck getting issued permit thru local PD?

Without sounding like a dick, but have you read any posts on here? There are plenty that got their PTC going thru local PD. 

Didnt you ask this the other day? 

11 minutes ago, Mike77 said:

Without sounding like a dick, but have you read any posts on here? There are plenty that got their PTC going thru local PD. 

Didnt you ask this the other day? 

I don't recall reading anything about someone whose application never went to the court prior to 12/22 getting their PTC from a local PD. I am specifically talking about PTC that have never been to the court. Until Tues it was impossible bc no local PD had the permit template to issue.

1 minute ago, RMcG323 said:

I don't recall reading anything about someone whose application never went to the court prior to 12/22 getting their PTC from a local PD. I am specifically talking about PTC that have never been to the court. Until Tues it was impossible bc no local PD had the permit template to issue.

You did not state that in your comment.

Being the law is only 2 weeks old, and law states 60days from time paperwork is handed in... Seems odd asking if anyone submitted paperwork after 12/22, and asking if they got their PTC already. 

10 minutes ago, Mike77 said:

You did not state that in your comment.

Being the law is only 2 weeks old, and law states 60days from time paperwork is handed in... Seems odd asking if anyone submitted paperwork after 12/22, and asking if they got their PTC already. 

let me put it this way....my application was submitted to the PD on 11/28 with fingerprints already done. Everything was handed in to the Chief to do his work on the background/mental health and references etc....it was approved and has been sitting waiting to be issued since the courts were removed from the process and they had no permits to issue me...Tues the permit was avail to local PD via a NJSP website that the chiefs all have access to, however, I was advised that it was not working so my permit can still not be issued. 

5 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

Gloucester County:

May be an image of text that says '7:25 [External] [External]Thankyo... In light of recent Amendments to NJSA 2C:58-4, you will no longer need to submit a request to add additional firearms to your Permit to Carry. So long as you are the actual and official owner of firearm, you may carry it pursuant to your original permit. Keep in mind that the only restrictions by which you must abide are those set forth in the recent legislation amending NJSA 2C:58-4. THIS LEGISLATION SUPERSEDES ANY PRIOR ORDER ISSUED BY THIS COURT. If you need any additional clarification or information please do not hesitate to contact me. Tracy'

So is the prevailing view that permits with court orders that restrict the permit to a specific firearm no longer do so?

I feel like we would need a new permit issued otherwise it's a risk...  I am in this situation as my permit was issued by Monmouth County and it was limited the specific pistol with which I qualified...

54 minutes ago, MrAceJD said:

So is the prevailing view that permits with court orders that restrict the permit to a specific firearm no longer do so?

I feel like we would need a new permit issued otherwise it's a risk...  I am in this situation as my permit was issued by Monmouth County and it was limited the specific pistol with which I qualified...

The actual legislation does not state you have to qual with the exact gun you carry. That was a constraint the court imposed in some places.

Now that the courts are out of it, if you have been approved for a CCW license and have a qualification on record (shot with any handgun you own) then you can carry (within the scope of NJ Law) any other handgun you legally own.

If you are already carrying on a permit that has already been issued by the court, and there are court imposed restrictions, I recommend you contact the issuing court or an attorney to determine if the court order still applies until your permit expires and you re-up.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

The actual legislation does not state you have to qual with the exact gun you carry. That was a constraint the court imposed in some places.

Now that the courts are out of it, if you have been approved for a CCW license and have a qualification on record (shot with any handgun you own) then you can carry (within the scope of NJ Law) any other handgun you legally own.

If you are already carrying on a permit that has already been issued by the court, and there are court imposed restrictions, I recommend you contact the issuing court or an attorney to determine if the court order still applies until your permit expires and you re-up.

That logic makes sense.   The process was so administratively fatiguing the first time.  When I inquired (before the new law was passed) on how to add new hand guns, I was told the Monmouth County judge wanted all new applications to add a pistol.  The juice wasn't worth the squeeze on that, I would live with the one pistol.  But if it's easier now, that's a different story...

• Agree 1

On 12/13/2022 at 3:36 PM, Gidian said:

So far I am impressed. I dropped off my application on Dec 8th in the early morning and my references received a letter in a postage paid envelope, Friday and Saturday, with a post mark of the 8th. meaning near zero delay in starting the process.

I will keep you all posted, but wanted to share some initial impressions.

Any idea how long it takes for mental health records to come back?

Ok so besides the snafu with having employee of an armored car company on my PTC which I am not...

December 8th to Dec 27th issue date, Jan 13th notified to pick it up. Not sure where or why it sat for two weeks, but that is my experience for Bridgewater NJ.

4 minutes ago, Gidian said:

Picked up PTC and it is has Employee of armored car company on it. that is incorrect.

any suggestions to how to get it corrected without a new application process?

Call your PD first.  Maybe they can do something about it now that the process has changed?

12 minutes ago, Gidian said:

Ok so besides the snafu with having employee of an armored car company on my PTC which I am not...

December 8th to Dec 27th issue date, Jan 13th notified to pick it up. Not sure where or why it sat for two weeks, but that is my experience for Bridgewater NJ.

Oh and one other thing. My permit is printed Black and while on heavy card stock, it doesn't have the blue header i see in other pictures. this thing looks like something that could be forged with crayons post card.

But i guess it was printed at the PD and they dont have color printers....

4 hours ago, CMJeepster said:

Call your PD first.  Maybe they can do something about it now that the process has changed?

emailed licensing officer. his reply "That is part of the card it only means something it check off" so I guess I am good to go since there is no check in that box...it looks strange.

Thoughts?

IMG_2746.jpg

I think you’re good to go

In Morris County, next to the photo, it reads 

RESTRICTIONS, with 3 boxes

1 none    2 see below    3 See court order

see court order had an X in it. The court order said   I was good to go with whereas’ and therefores’ and listed my pistol makes, SN’s and how to go about adding pistols to the order. 

Carry on 

4 hours ago, Gidian said:

emailed licensing officer. his reply "That is part of the card it only means something it check off" so I guess I am good to go since there is no check in that box...it looks strange.

Thoughts?

IMG_2746.jpg

That looks like a 8yr old made on a xerox copier, and stuck in a ziploc bag, and cut off the excess. 

• Haha 3

So now that I finally have a PTC for NJ, I can apply for a non res LTCF for Pa since I find myself crossing the border often.

The process is super easy, but many county sheriff's website specifically state that they will not issue non resident permits although that is exactly what the process should be.

There are two counties that have an online portals Berks and Philadelphia, both require you to be a resident of the county before you apply online.

Has anyone cracked the code.

i am wondering if they are not issuing non res due to a recent spike in NJ PTC applicants. I did email Phila and will report back when I hear from them.

On 1/14/2023 at 9:42 AM, Wcordes said:

Delaware County is also issuing non residents.

I used the Delaware County website, paid online, was able to check status online and drove out to the courthouse and get my picture taken and license laminated and issued in 5 minutes. Real easy process.

• Informative 1

On 1/13/2023 at 11:24 PM, PoppaPops said:

Is there any “Official” site that states we can carry any handgun other than the one(s) listed on our PTC?

Just looking for clarification.

The legislation indicates that one qualification covers you for whatever you're carrying (as long as you own it).

ALSO, there are those who get their permit along with a court order that restricts carry to ONLY the particular guns that are listed.

That's about as clear as it gets right now, so it's best to proceed with an abundance of caution and err on the side of following the most restrictive guidance.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

The legislation indicates that one qualification covers you for whatever you're carrying (as long as you own it).

ALSO, there are those who get their permit along with a court order that restricts carry to ONLY the particular guns that are listed.

That's about as clear as it gets right now, so it's best to proceed with an abundance of caution and err on the side of following the most restrictive guidance.

Thanks for the info.

Although "no restrictions" is checked off on my PTC, my court order does state:

"The applicant may carry the following handgun: make/model/serial#".

I'll stick to what's on my permit until all this smoke clears.

I didmt get an order but guns are listed on permit

8 hours ago, PoppaPops said:

Thanks for the info.

Although "no restrictions" is checked off on my PTC, my court order does state:

"The applicant may carry the following handgun: make/model/serial#".

I'll stick to what's on my permit until all this smoke clears.

Just called Hamilton PD in Mercer.  Said it’s in the courts hands.As soon as they hear back from the courts they will call me.
 Dropped money order off back in late November or beginning of December ( just before all the Murphy nonsense). Also spoke to the Detective working on my app. just before dropping money order off & he said he spoke to my references & im good to go.  
they said they have no number or who to call at the courts to see what’s going on.