CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

46 minutes ago, Bobby69 said:

Just called Hamilton PD in Mercer.  Said it’s in the courts hands.As soon as they hear back from the courts they will call me.
 Dropped money order off back in late November or beginning of December ( just before all the Murphy nonsense). Also spoke to the Detective working on my app. just before dropping money order off & he said he spoke to my references & im good to go.  
they said they have no number or who to call at the courts to see what’s going on.   

Mercer County Superior Court: (609) 571-4200, x74152, Nicholas Kowalchuk, Law Clerk to Hon. Patrick J. Bartels, J.S.C.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Ficus said:

Gloucester county judge says carry any firearm legally owned by permit holder. 

C06E0566-8E06-4CD4-B948-EC1FFDE3D23C.jpeg

well...that IS the law.....always was. Im sure they are getting push back from someone for making their own laws and rules.

On 1/16/2023 at 10:47 AM, PoppaPops said:

Thanks for the info.

Although "no restrictions" is checked off on my PTC, my court order does state:

"The applicant may carry the following handgun: make/model/serial#".

I'll stick to what's on my permit until all this smoke clears.

In Ocean County the first assignment judge issued a one page "sensitive place" order which the next judge rescinded just by me asking. Judge Ryan said in his order sensitive places was the job of the legislature. He actually wrote in his order. Now that any gun you legally own is the law of the land in NJ, you should email the law clerk of your county and ask for a court order rescinding the "listed firearms" since it's moot. Then you have some paper you can file somewhere just in case.

• Informative 1

4 hours ago, Xtors said:

Mercer County Superior Court: (609) 571-4200, x74152, Nicholas Kowalchuk, Law Clerk to Hon. Patrick J. Bartels, J.S.C.

Just called. Nicholas was a gentleman, very easy to talk to ( we all know how some with this can be, like they don’t want to help you). 
Working on it today then the judge signs off & it goes back to Hamilton PD. We’ll see how long Hamilton holds on to it.  

thanks again for that information!!!

1 hour ago, Moutinas said:

In Ocean County the first assignment judge issued a one page "sensitive place" order which the next judge rescinded just by me asking. Judge Ryan said in his order sensitive places was the job of the legislature. He actually wrote in his order. Now that any gun you legally own is the law of the land in NJ, you should email the law clerk of your county and ask for a court order rescinding the "listed firearms" since it's moot. Then you have some paper you can file somewhere just in case.

Awesome info brother! I will do just that.

Much appreciated.

41 minutes ago, Bobby69 said:

Thanks my brother. I didn’t want to argue with the person on phone. I asked 2x in a way that said how can you NOT have a number to call. 

27 minutes ago, Bobby69 said:

Just called. Nicholas was a gentleman, very easy to talk to ( we all know how some with this can be, like they don’t want to help you). 
Working on it today then the judge signs off & it goes back to Hamilton PD. We’ll see how long Hamilton holds on to it.  

thanks again for that information!!!

You're welcome! Yeah, the clerk was super-nice and easy to deal with. Mine was supposedly signed last Friday so I am hoping it's available for pick up this week. Will def reply with updates.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

South Jersey seems to be pretty lucky. Every time I talk to Morris Co they keep adding more time to process the permits. Currently at day 71 of what is now a 60-90 day time frame.

21 minutes ago, brucin said:

South Jersey seems to be pretty lucky. Every time I talk to Morris Co they keep adding more time to process the permits. Currently at day 71 of what is now a 60-90 day time frame.

I handed mine to local pd 9/19.... And still waiting a few more days

14 minutes ago, Mike77 said:

I handed mine to local pd 9/19

My local PD got the app on 8/23/2022. They took 77 days to get it to the court. I'm approaching 5 months and I don't expect to have it before then as my money order has not been cashed.

anyone have any insight as to why Morris county has practically come to a halt?   are any of our gun groups looking into this. 

On Anthony's podcast he mentions someone at ANJRPC who started facebook pages for each county,   does anyone know of this facebook page for morris? 

1 hour ago, revenger said:

anyone have any insight as to why Morris county has practically come to a halt?   are any of our gun groups looking into this. 

On Anthony's podcast he mentions someone at ANJRPC who started facebook pages for each county,   does anyone know of this facebook page for morris? 

Yeah, Morris seemed to be doing OK for a while but in December things got SLOW.

My application sat with the court for just under 90 days before it was finally approved on January 3rd.  I know of one other person approved in that "batch" and his app was sitting for a similar time.

As far as I know they are still working the backlog through the process, but it can't hurt to call the court and ask for a status update.

I've not seen a specific Morris County NJ Firearms Facebook group, so you may want to join the existing ones and see if there's a desire to branch off.

At this point I would presume the gun groups are laser focused on the pending legislation to stop the recent Murphy legislation, but it can't hurt to send Strikeforce a message and let them know you're still waiting.

1 hour ago, 124gr9mm said:

Yeah, Morris seemed to be doing OK for a while but in December things got SLOW.

My application sat with the court for just under 90 days before it was finally approved on January 3rd.  I know of one other person approved in that "batch" and his app was sitting for a similar time.

As far as I know they are still working the backlog through the process, but it can't hurt to call the court and ask for a status update.

I've not seen a specific Morris County NJ Firearms Facebook group, so you may want to join the existing ones and see if there's a desire to branch off.

At this point I would presume the gun groups are laser focused on the pending legislation to stop the recent Murphy legislation, but it can't hurt to send Strikeforce a message and let them know you're still waiting.

Call Morris county the other day, PD Oct 4, court received it Nov 4.  They predicted another 6 weeks.  2 people working there, sitting on a couple of hundred applications 

• FacePalm 1

Hey fellas. Just came back from a vacation out of country and I come back to this BS new law… i was hoping y’all could hell me with a couple questions:

1. Since i have not submitted an application before they signed the new law, do i now need a new application form? I have all the requirements ready, the old form where 3 references are needed, i just need to get it notarized. 

2. Do i go to fingerprinting before the PD or PD first? 

3. Where do you guys recommend i get liability insurance? 

thanks for your help… if this belongs somewhere else, pls direct me as there’s so much information out there it’s confusing…

You could submit not sure if they will process. As for liability you still can not get it in nj

1 hour ago, Dude,Sweet said:

Hey fellas. Just came back from a vacation out of country and I come back to this BS new law… i was hoping y’all could hell me with a couple questions:

1. Since i have not submitted an application before they signed the new law, do i now need a new application form? I have all the requirements ready, the old form where 3 references are needed, i just need to get it notarized. 

thanks for your help… if this belongs somewhere else, pls direct me as there’s so much information out there it’s confusing…

1 hour ago, Dude,Sweet said:

Hey fellas. Just came back from a vacation out of country and I come back to this BS new law… i was hoping y’all could hell me with a couple questions:

You kind of screwed up for waiting that long. 

Since the police are now handling it they dont have the printers or anything so its an indefinite wait as im sure that will be the police top priority is getting those printers, lol. Oh well things could be worse you could be in Ocean county and still waiting for the court to rubber stamp the damn permit.  

NJ this is what happens when you vote blue but people never learn or change. Whats the difference between Ignorant and stupid? Ignorant you don't know but can learn. Stupid is you dont know and wont or cant learn. Therefore its safe to say 99.9% of NJ voters fall into the stupid category.   

• Like 1

I like these timeline posts cause its useful to get an idea of when to expect to receive the PTC. Here is my timeline, I'll make sure to edit once I actually get it.

Bergen County

11/08 - Submitted Application
11/08 - Identgo Appointment Made
11/11 - Fingerprints done
11/15 - References received letter
11/16 - Reference #1 Submitted
11/22 - Reference #2 Submitted
11/24 - Reference #3 Submitted
11/28 - PD Confirmed received references
12/5 - PD Confirmed Fingerprints Complete
1/12 - Money order cashed

I thought it takes ~1 week according to other's timeline from money order cashed to receiving PTC, so far no call yet. I'm debating on contacting PD but the person in charge of firearms gets a bit annoyed and I don't want any retaliatory delays. Probably gonna tell me to contact the courts.

This process was a nightmare. I applied along with two other friends. Gonna name them #1, #2, and #3(me). Applications were submitted about a month apart each.

References:

#1, references were never sent out, found out a month later when applicant #2 references arrived that these papers should have been sent out.

#2, reference papers lost at PD, 2/3 references had to receive paperwork again, fill out, and resubmit.

#3, no issue with references. Made sure to call and confirm they received them.

Qualification(all done at Reloaderz):

#1 qualified with 1 striker fired.

#2 qualified with 2 handguns, both hammer fired. Passed with the compact so was approved with the full-size.

#3, decided I wanted to use all 4 spots on qualification. Qualified with Hellcat & was approved for other 3(pocket & two full-size). Was explained at the range as long as you qualify with one action type(striker, hammer, or revolver) then you are approved for all that have that same type action. I was ready to qualify with Hellcat(assuming auto approved on full-size) and LCP Max(internal hammer so not a striker-fired??) Spent close to 1000rnds practicing with LCP Max because hitting accurately at 25 yards is...not easy task. Passed with Hellcat, they considered the LCP a striker fired and approved me for all 4 handguns. Had an issue submitting application, qualification form refused probably cause I put 4 handguns on there. Didn't accept the reasoning that qualifying with one same action(striker) meant I was fine with other 3. I really just wanted the Hellcat and LCP Max due to their size, didn't care much for other 2 full-size(probably would have never carried). Somehow barely passed with LCP Max(48/60). Resubmitted with 2 separate qualification forms for Hellcat & LCP Max - accepted by PD(phew).

PD questioned me if I did my fingerprints, concerned me that they never got it or gave me wrong case#. Confirmed later they got the fingerprints. I preferred email communication to keep records just incase. A bit of a frustrating process because it seems like they didn't bother reading the emails fully and responses were unrelated to my simple questions. Redirected me to contact court instead. Finally got PD to confirm they have everything necessary, began checking money order often. Been a month since I submitted application and money order wasn't cashed. Called court, was sent to a voicemail system. Never got a callback or response, but next day money order was cashed.

So far #1 & #2 have not received PTC even though they submitted earlier than me. #1 lost money order receipt. #2 money order was cashed mid-Dec. I'm giving it till Feb to contact PD and ask if they received my PTC.

• Informative 1

52 minutes ago, glockncolts said:

Submitted 9-23-22 in Gloucester county. No references called. Money order cashed. I pick up ptc 1-16-23.

I submitted 9-26-22 in Gloucester county money  oder cashed references  contacted  PD Approved  me and court  recieved my App on 11-14-22 i hope I'm  right behind you we'll  see.

15 hours ago, Malaka said:

I like these timeline posts cause its useful to get an idea of when to expect to receive the PTC. Here is my timeline, I'll make sure to edit once I actually get it.

Bergen County

11/08 - Submitted Application
11/08 - Identgo Appointment Made
11/11 - Fingerprints done
11/15 - References received letter
11/16 - Reference #1 Submitted
11/22 - Reference #2 Submitted
11/24 - Reference #3 Submitted
11/28 - PD Confirmed received references
12/5 - PD Confirmed Fingerprints Complete
1/12 - Money order cashed

I thought it takes ~1 week according to other's timeline from money order cashed to receiving PTC, so far no call yet. I'm debating on contacting PD but the person in charge of firearms gets a bit annoyed and I don't want any retaliatory delays. Probably gonna tell me to contact the courts.

This process was a nightmare. I applied along with two other friends. Gonna name them #1, #2, and #3(me). Applications were submitted about a month apart each.

References:

#1, references were never sent out, found out a month later when applicant #2 references arrived that these papers should have been sent out.

#2, reference papers lost at PD, 2/3 references had to receive paperwork again, fill out, and resubmit.

#3, no issue with references. Made sure to call and confirm they received them.

Qualification(all done at Reloaderz):

#1 qualified with 1 striker fired.

#2 qualified with 2 handguns, both hammer fired. Passed with the compact so was approved with the full-size.

#3, decided I wanted to use all 4 spots on qualification. Qualified with Hellcat & was approved for other 3(pocket & two full-size). Was explained at the range as long as you qualify with one action type(striker, hammer, or revolver) then you are approved for all that have that same type action. I was ready to qualify with Hellcat(assuming auto approved on full-size) and LCP Max(internal hammer so not a striker-fired??) Spent close to 1000rnds practicing with LCP Max because hitting accurately at 25 yards is...not easy task. Passed with Hellcat, they considered the LCP a striker fired and approved me for all 4 handguns. Had an issue submitting application, qualification form refused probably cause I put 4 handguns on there. Didn't accept the reasoning that qualifying with one same action(striker) meant I was fine with other 3. I really just wanted the Hellcat and LCP Max due to their size, didn't care much for other 2 full-size(probably would have never carried). Somehow barely passed with LCP Max(48/60). Resubmitted with 2 separate qualification forms for Hellcat & LCP Max - accepted by PD(phew).

PD questioned me if I did my fingerprints, concerned me that they never got it or gave me wrong case#. Confirmed later they got the fingerprints. I preferred email communication to keep records just incase. A bit of a frustrating process because it seems like they didn't bother reading the emails fully and responses were unrelated to my simple questions. Redirected me to contact court instead. Finally got PD to confirm they have everything necessary, began checking money order often. Been a month since I submitted application and money order wasn't cashed. Called court, was sent to a voicemail system. Never got a callback or response, but next day money order was cashed.

So far #1 & #2 have not received PTC even though they submitted earlier than me. #1 lost money order receipt. #2 money order was cashed mid-Dec. I'm giving it till Feb to contact PD and ask if they received my PTC.

A fellow Greek I see! Lol

When your Money order  was cashed has  no bearing  on when you get  your permit my MO was cashed  back in Early  November   court  clerk says I should be getting  my PTC by Mid February  as there working  through  there backlog. 

Put my paperwork in at my PD on 09/23/22. It is still there since the court has turned issuing over to the PD's. They are awaiting guidance, blank permits etc. This is almost unbelievable that its taken so long. This move to the PD's to issue just caused more confusion etc. Went to the PD today and just was told they are handling a ton of applications the best they can. The 60 day approval time limit means nothing to them. I am in Passaic County. I am not sure they even checked my mental health, background etc. yet. The officer did tell me I fall under the Pre 12/22 requirements for fee's etc. But who really knows. Totally disgusted with this process and the inability to find out where you stand on your application. Somebody needs to get this in order with one system of processing for everybody. Each town now is doing their own thing meanwhile law abiding gun owners suffer!