CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

17 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Put my paperwork in at my PD on 09/23/22. It is still there since the court has turned issuing over to the PD's. They are awaiting guidance, blank permits etc. This is almost unbelievable that its taken so long. This move to the PD's to issue just caused more confusion etc. Went to the PD today and just was told they are handling a ton of applications the best they can. The 60 day approval time limit means nothing to them. I am in Passaic County. I am not sure they even checked my mental health, background etc. yet. The officer did tell me I fall under the Pre 12/22 requirements for fee's etc. But who really knows. Totally disgusted with this process and the inability to find out where you stand on your application. Somebody needs to get this in order with one system of processing for everybody. Each town now is doing their own thing meanwhile law abiding gun owners suffer! 

Your App should have already  been at the court  i submitted  9-26 it went to Gloucester county court  on 11-7 they received  it the 14 th  the clerk said they  are handling  all the apps they have prior to Murphy's law  there just not excepting any new ones since then  you mean your PD couldn't  get it to the court from 9-26 to i believe  December 22 when Murphy  signed the Anti carry  bill WTF.

Correct! They say they have hundreds of applications. This is a township of about 40000 residents not a small town. Some apps went to the court. But it's still total bs how these towns are handling this. For the courts to throw it back to the PDs with no guidance, permits etc. makes me think all this is being done on purpose to discourge applicants. My background is totally clear also. Never should take this long.

• Agree 2

Correct! They say they have hundreds of applications. This is a township of about 40000 residents not a small town. Some apps went to the court. But it's still total bs how these towns are handling this. For the courts to throw it back to the PDs with no guidance, permits etc. makes me think all this is being done on purpose to discourge applicants. My background is totally clear also. Never should take this long.

Yes the process is very disturbing and very unfair from one town or county to the next. But these PDs should adhere to the 60 day time frame. But obviously they aren't held accountable in this. For paperwork to be sitting over 3 months is very disturbing and there has to be so many more behind me! My record checks will come back clear but I don't even know if they handled any of my application yet. They were given everything I was required to do. Very bummed out on the whole process!

14 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Yes the process is very disturbing and very unfair from one town or county to the next. But these PDs should adhere to the 60 day time frame. But obviously they aren't held accountable in this. For paperwork to be sitting over 3 months is very disturbing and there has to be so many more behind me! My record checks will come back clear but I don't even know if they handled any of my application yet. They were given everything I was required to do. Very bummed out on the whole process!

Welcome to the forum.

There are people here who submitted applications in July/August and just received their permits. Some are still waiting.

Look at the start dates of some of these threads.  You could be in for a long wait...

Here’s a copy and paste of my buddy who applied to Woodstown state police and is still waiting after his court hearing and getting im his court order with start and expiration dates of permit on it from the day of the hearing… 5 weeks and still haven’t gotten it … court said the pd should be calling him in a couple days after the hearing to pick up ….not so much lol …his email journal below 

7/30/22-Took cc qualifier at quinton sportsmans club with njsp william (wade) hillman then stopped and picked up application package after from Woodstown state police barracks (Salem co) from trooper Catalbiana (sp?) who said he was one of the troopers processing the apps then set about getting it all filled out per the instruction sheets included and went over with the trooper at the pickup 

8/9/22- got fingerprinted at identigo in willow grove pa as there were no available appointments for a month anywhere in nj I could find.

8/15/22- dropped off completed package to the same Woodstown state police barracks to trooper catalbiano (sp?) who went over all pages/documents and made sure everything was in order, he said everything was fine and that I would with be contacted to pick up my permit or it would be mailed directly to my home in Delaware they weren’t sure how it was going to be by they time they got to that step the process might have changed a few times. I paid with a usps postal money order which as of the typing of this email has still not been cashed

11/12/22- received letter from salem county for superior court hearing scheduled 12/14/22

12/14/22- had my hearing received the court order dated with approval and expiration date on the letter of 12/14/22 and 12/14/24 respectively and was told the court would sent it back to the PD for them to issue to me. 

12/27/28/22- having not heard anything I sent an email to them asking if they had any update on the timeframe before I’m called as now I’m losing time on the approved permit period.

12/28/22- received response back from them that thay have not received it back from the court yet. I sent a follow up email and  questioned how that could be since it’s 10 miles away in the same state.

12/29/22- response from PD says that in fact “it has to go to Trenton to finalize then back to the station for issuance” which is different than they said the last time 

11/11/23- I sent another email asking for an update as it’s been a couple days shy of a month as well as it’s cutting into my already short (2yr) permit period and I still don’t have it yet. I have not received a response as of this update 

So as of 1/18/23 I’m sitting at 157 days since application and 5 weeks into my “2 yr permit” period based on the court order I have and still cannot carry because they are holding my actual permit hostage or something as the clock is ticking on my permit as I’ve already lost 1/24th of a “privilege” (as they see it) that I have paid for and jumped through all their unconstitutional hoops and still cannot excercise my rights….. which seems to me to constitute theft 

3 minutes ago, Mike77 said:

Correct me if im wrong, but the date isnt the approval date from court but the date pd issues? Or does everyone do it different? 

At this point, there is no direction!  Eventually the dust will settle.

20 hours ago, pjd832 said:

He said on his court order it says .. permit is granted for 2 years starting on 12/14/22 and expiring onn12/14/24…. So I guess he’s figuring the permit would match the court order … 

The Data on my Permit is the day the Judge approved it. The Local PD called me a week later to come pick it up.

20 minutes ago, Jfoster99 said:

The Data on my Permit is the day the Judge approved it. The Local PD called me a week later to come pick it up.

Talk about nonsense….he just got back for the weekend and swung over to pick up the permit… and it is in fact dated the day he had his court hearing….5 weeks ago asked the trooper that was giving it to him what took so long … he said “wasn’t us…. we were waiting for it to come back from Trenton” …. He said the ink pen signature was the judge he went before…who told him the police department would be calling him the next week…. Why would the judge not just issue that day? Since she clearly had it the day of court…. And if all the investigations are performed prior to go to the court/judge…why would it need to go to Trenton again not just back to the local barracks? 

Apparently OC is one of the worse counties. Applied 7/29/22 still waiting. I spoke w Kimberly (VERY nice and pro 2a) she said they will be stepping things up, now that a prosecutor (Who I believe was a problem) is no longer involved.

5 hours ago, wolfganggross said:

Does anyone know where/ what number application they are at in Ocean County?  Applied late July with app # 629.  Thanks  wolfganggross

Reports are around 440 this week or next week they will  be up to so at this rate should be a few more weeks (hopefully) been waiting since late Aug /early sept when I applied. 

3 minutes ago, Mike77 said:

Awesome.....now I need a new wallet, bc it wont fit in the one i have, even if i trim

I just ordered one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B5W736L1?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

This one is a bit smaller than the other one that was posted here a while ago. Seemed like a perfect fit accounting for lamination. Plus there's enough room for your PTC, court order, FID, and US Law Shield card!

20 minutes ago, Xtors said:

I just ordered one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B5W736L1?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

This one is a bit smaller than the other one that was posted here a while ago. Seemed like a perfect fit accounting for lamination. Plus there's enough room for your PTC, court order, FID, and US Law Shield card!

No court order for me. Unrestricted, no guns printed on it....nothing. :imsohappy:

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

47 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Mike,

From the court or the PD? I understand PD's are handling all new permit issuing!

I handed mine in to Local PD in Sept 2022...before new laws. So courts still had mine, before new laws. They got it dec 20, dec 23 was the new law date. So I was last bunch local pd sent to courts. they now handle in house. PD received it today from courts. 

When I picked up mine it looked like they gave it to a preschooler with a pair of safety scissors and it was a first attempt at cutting paper. Even my passport photo was all cut up on crazy angles and barely stuck on. 

all others I have ever received have been smaller and laminated with with the picture digitalized. 
Carry on 

• Haha 1