CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

So someone on the FB posted the following regarding Plainfield NJ:

As per my conversation, the pd just had an educational class and you can carry any gun you own and it does not have to be listed on my permit. Todays a good day

Call your local PD to see if there are any updates, I definitely would want something in writing first.

4 minutes ago, PoppaPops said:

As per my conversation, the pd just had an educational class and you can carry any gun you own and it does not have to be listed on my permit. Todays a good day

Call your local PD to see if there are any updates, I definitely would want something in writing first.

Have all departments gotten the same info? if not it could jam people up..

18 minutes ago, PoppaPops said:

Read the actual legislation. The actual law is the “in writing” you seek. The legislation does not specify what guns you can carry other than to say you have to be the legal owner of the firearm and you have to qualify with A gun - not the gun you intend to carry.

Having to qualify with and/or having to specify/list in writing what specific guns you wanted to carry was an extra step that the courts imposed at their will. This goes beyond what the legislation actually states.

If your permit was approved by the courts, and the court added stipulations, those stipulations still apply until the courts vacate them or your permit expires. A court order is legal and enforceable until it is officially rescinded by the court. Just because people are currently receiving permits without restriction from their local PDs doesn’t remove the limitations that were imposed on you you when your permit was issued.

If your permit was issued by the Courts and it lists specific guns, you are stuck with that until you:
• Your permit expires and you renew
• You get the court to amend or update the court order
• You restart the process at your local PD from the beginning and are granted a permit there

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

39 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Read the actual legislation. The actual law is the “in writing” you seek. The legislation does not specify what guns you can carry other than to say you have to be the legal owner of the firearm and you have to qualify with A gun - not the gun you intend to carry.

Having to qualify with and/or having to specify/list in writing what specific guns you wanted to carry was an extra step that the courts imposed at their will. This goes beyond what the legislation actually states.

If your permit was approved by the courts, and the court added stipulations, those stipulations still apply until the courts vacate them or your permit expires. A court order is legal and enforceable until it is officially rescinded by the court. Just because people are currently receiving permits without restriction from their local PDs doesn’t remove the limitations that were imposed on you you when your permit was issued.

If your permit was issued by the Courts and it lists specific guns, you are stuck with that until you:
• You restart the process at your local PD from the beginning and are granted a permit there

I totally agree and it sucks bigtime.

2 minutes ago, brucin said:

I totally agree and it sucks bigtime.

I've  seen two emails  from the Gloucester county  Judges clerk that states in light of  the recent  law changes  you are no longer  restricted  to the gun you qualified with just  as  long as you are the  owner  of the handgun  your  carrying ay the time and thats exactly what i plan  to do i should  be getting  my permit  anytime  now as it was submitted  September 26 to PD Approved  and received by the court on 11-14.

52 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

I know I have a snowballs chance in hell, but I'll still reach out to my PD and see if they have anything in place for adding another gun to said permit.

The whole situation sucks, but at least I have a permit.

I have attempted to reach out to my Judge's law clerk with negative results unfortunately.

56 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

So my permit has no restrictions box checked.  My permit has a list of guns I qualified with but says no where that's all I may carry.  I also did not receive a court order

18 hours ago, Phil said:

Essex County - Applied 8/29, Issued 1/24.  Start to finish - 4 months & 26 days.  No restrictions on which handgun can be carried.

A little more context.  My local PD either couldn't or wouldn't do the background check until they had every other piece of info.  It took 3 months for them to receive the mental health info back from the State.  After that they completed my background check and sent the application to the court 2 days before Murphy signed the new legislation.  The new legislation takes the court out of the process.  With this, the AG issued a statement saying the PD's no longer need to send applications to the court and that the courts should complete what they have on hand within 60 days.  However, seems the Essex county judge(s) wanted nothing to do with this and roughly 4 weeks later they returned my application to the PD for them to complete without the courts input.  In the end my permit was issued by my local PD with no signature from a judge or even a place indicting where the judge should sign as well as no listing of the handgun I qualified with.  When I picked up the permit the detective pointed out that no firearms were listed and that the permit was good for any handgun I owned and carried.

This whole process is in a state of flux and county by county confusion and, I believe, it will remain that way as the most recent legislation goes thru restraining orders and litigation.

• Informative 1

26 minutes ago, Wrigs4095 said:

I've  seen two emails  from the Gloucester county  Judges clerk that states in light of  the recent  law changes  you are no longer  restricted  to the gun you qualified with just  as  long as you are the  owner  of the handgun  your  carrying ay the time and thats exactly what i plan  to do i should  be getting  my permit  anytime  now as it was submitted  September 26 to PD Approved  and received by the court on 11-14.

Gloucester County.jpg

1 hour ago, Vdep217 said:

So my permit has no restrictions box checked.  My permit has a list of guns I qualified with but says no where that's all I may carry.  I also did not receive a court order

I would say anything on your permit should be construed as an order put in place by the authorizing agency - in your case I am assuming the court.

I would contact an attorney for further guidance.

1 hour ago, PoppaPops said:

Gloucester County.jpg

IMO - If Judge Silvanio signed my permit, and I am comfortable that Ms. Solano actually works for him and sent ME the email - I would accept this as enough to vacate the order. But, IANAL so take my advice as what you paid for it.

Remember the wise words of Sam in Ronin:

“Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.”

8 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

If Judge Silvanio signed my permit, and I am comfortable that Ms. Solano actually works for him and sent ME the email - I would accept this as enough to vacate the order.

That’s my email….. that’s the way I took it. 

2 hours ago, High Exposure said:

I would say anything on your permit should be construed as an order put in place by the authorizing agency - in your case I am assuming the court.

I would contact an attorney for further guidance.

IMO - If Judge Silvanio signed my permit, and I am comfortable that Ms. Solano actually works for him and sent ME the email - I would accept this as enough to vacate the order. But, IANAL so take my advice as what you paid for it.

Remember the wise words of Sam in Ronin:

“Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.”

I'd view it the same way.

I'd print a copy of that email and attach it to the original court order and carry it with me until the permit expires.

This may be a stupid question, but here goes.  Currently there is a TRO on the new laws.  Let's say the new laws get shot down and there are no more sensitive places - or fewer and we can carry most anywhere.  If I go into a store with my gun and miss a sign that says they're a gun-free zone and someone sees it poking out from under my shirt and the cops are called, what would happen?  Am I technically breaking the law or only not abiding by the store's policy?  What could the punishment be?  Thanks

38 minutes ago, joeg said:

This may be a stupid question, but here goes.  Currently there is a TRO on the new laws.  Let's say the new laws get shot down and there are no more sensitive places - or fewer and we can carry most anywhere.  If I go into a store with my gun and miss a sign that says they're a gun-free zone and someone sees it poking out from under my shirt and the cops are called, what would happen?  Am I technically breaking the law or only not abiding by the store's policy?  What could the punishment be?  Thanks

Not a stupid question at all.  I'm not a lawyer, but in that scenario you haven't really gone afoul of any gun laws, so you're not an instant felon.

You ignored the sign, so the owners will likely be pissed and have you "trespassed" by the police.  That means you're no longer allowed in the store and you'd be arrested if you went there again.

So that means be aware of the signs on places you go and don't let your gun poke out from under your shirt.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DbleTrouble said:

Anybody know the situation in Mercer County?  I submitted to local PD December 9th.  Detective said he will submit to court within a week since they just did my FID change of address.  What are the chances of this going through the Mercer County Court?

If it hadn't gone to the court by December 22, 2022, it just needs approval by the PD and they should issue the permit. The courts are not involved since the signing of A4769.

I’m in Mercer county, Hamilton.  I put my stuff in before the new rules. The forum helped me with getting in touch with the court to see what was going on. I think it was 2 weeks ago I called & it was being signed by the judge then sent to local PD. That’s the last I’ve heard.  When PD gets it they’re supposed to call me to pick up but nothing yet.  So don’t want to call & “ Annoy” them so my permit goes missing or whatever ( you know what I mean). Just waiting.  

24 minutes ago, Bobby69 said:

I’m in Mercer county, Hamilton.  I put my stuff in before the new rules. The forum helped me with getting in touch with the court to see what was going on. I think it was 2 weeks ago I called & it was being signed by the judge then sent to local PD. That’s the last I’ve heard.  When PD gets it they’re supposed to call me to pick up but nothing yet.  So don’t want to call & “ Annoy” them so my permit goes missing or whatever ( you know what I mean). Just waiting.  

Well as soon as I submitted my post PD called to pick up my permit. On the back about the restrictions 2 boxes are checked. 1 is See below & the other is see court order

.Below says “Valid as stated on court order” 

They gave me the court order which I have to carry. The order states only the gun I qualified with &  I have to carry the order with me. Also the only carry where allowed. 
I read that the carry of the gun you qualified with is not legal meaning I should be allowed to carry any handgun I own but for now I’m not going to bring it up.  I’ll wait a while to see how things play out.  Seem each county is making their own rules

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, Bobby69 said:

They gave me the court order which I have to carry. The order states only the gun I qualified with &  I have to carry the order with me. Also the only carry where allowed. 

I read that the carry of the gun you qualified with is not legal meaning I should be allowed to carry any handgun I own but for now I’m not going to bring it up.  I’ll wait a while to see how things play out.  Seem each county is making their own rules

I'm not a lawyer, but you would be wise to abide by the rules of an order you were given by the court.

If you don't agree with the stipulations in the order or if you feel that there is new legislation that renders the stipulation in the order moot, then you should contact the court and get THEM to provide you with an updated order (or a letter indicating the order is rescinded).

You can't ignore a court order.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

5 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

I'm not a lawyer, but you would be wise to abide by the rules of an order you were given by the court.

If you don't agree with the stipulations in the order or if you feel that there is new legislation that renders the stipulation in the order moot, then you should contact the court and get THEM to provide you with an updated order (or a letter indicating the order is rescinded).

You can't ignore a court order.

It was posted on this forum. As I said I’m not doing anything other than the order says. I’m only carrying my gun that’s listed. I’ll bring it up after all the lawsuits are over & the dust settles

5 hours ago, Golf battery said:

Does yours also say for personal proctection only

it says on the back of permit as per court order for personal protection. So if I see someone being shot at or robbed I’ll just go the other way I guess!!!!

30 minutes ago, Bobby69 said:

it says on the back of permit as per court order for personal protection. So if I see someone being shot at or robbed I’ll just go the other way I guess!!!!

Read it again.   How is protection spelled?

1 hour ago, Bobby69 said:

Read my permit again???

21 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

Not a stupid question at all.  I'm not a lawyer, but in that scenario you haven't really gone afoul of any gun laws, so you're not an instant felon.

You ignored the sign, so the owners will likely be pissed and have you "trespassed" by the police.  That means you're no longer allowed in the store and you'd be arrested if you went there again.

So that means be aware of the signs on places you go and don't let your gun poke out from under your shirt.

I am not a lawyer either, but my reading of the law is that a person can be charged with a disorderly persons offense (which is punishable in NJ by up to six months in jail, and is essentially a NJ version of misdemeanor) according to NJ 2C:18-3.b(2):

https://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/nxt/gateway.dll/statutes/1/2753/2909

• Like 1

Here in Tx, if one were to not see (or ignore?) a sign prohibiting carry, the business may ask you to leave, or to secure your weapon in your vehicle. As long as you do that (with your mea culpas), no harm, no foul. 
MOST likely that’s the end of it. 

Should the police be called, and you make a stink about it, you’ll probably get trespassed..

Thats Texas…