CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

Applied 7/22 as a non resident at the Totawa Barracks,  finger printed the same day, follow up email 60 days later. My buddy applied two weeks after me and never followed up(I was called as one of his references). As of today I am still waiting, my application miss the court cutoff and will hopefully be determined by the NJSP. My buddy received his permit at the court on 1/19/23(was told he is in the last 20 people processed in that court). I have followed up 3 times total (each time extremely courteous and polite) , received short grumpy emails each time, money order still uncashed. Conclusion, Totawa NJSP does not like people asking about their status and will further delay your permit each time you contact them. I will not follow up again till end of March. In March I will consider contacting his superior/consul. I have permits from NYC(premise) NJ (FOID), CT, DC, PA, MD, UT, FL and a Canadian Restricted and Unrestricted PAL(possession and acquisition License).I have no criminal history.  Any advice the forum can offer, will be greatly appreciated.

I have Nj Fid non resident and needed to change address as non resident. So started July 2022 to change it , it took 3.5 months to do it through totowa . Finally on 10/6 submitted nj conceal carry non resident and just two weeks ago was emailed that I didn’t sign two pages of the application so I had to sign them . So I’m still waiting . So is March a good time to contact totowa again??

Just now, Tesla2014 said:

I have Nj Fid non resident and needed to change address as non resident. So started July 2022 to change it , it took 3.5 months to do it through totowa . Finally on 10/6 submitted nj conceal carry non resident and just two weeks ago was emailed that I didn’t sign two pages of the application so I had to sign them . So I’m still waiting . So is March a good time to contact totowa again??

28 minutes ago, Flyingcarpenter said:

Applied 7/12/22 as a non resident at the Totawa Barracks,  finger printed the same day, follow up email 60 days later. My buddy applied two weeks after me and never followed up(I was called as one of his references). As of today I am still waiting, my application miss the court cutoff and will hopefully be determined by the NJSP. My buddy received his permit at the court on 1/19/23(was told he is in the last 20 people processed in that court). I have followed up 3 times total (each time extremely courteous and polite) , received short grumpy emails each time, money order still uncashed. Conclusion, Totawa NJSP does not like people asking about their status and will further delay your permit each time you contact them. I will not follow up again till end of March. In March I will consider contacting his superior/consul. I have permits from NYC(premise) NJ (FOID), CT, DC, PA, MD, UT, FL and a Canadian Restricted and Unrestricted PAL(possession and acquisition License).I have no criminal history.  Any advice the forum can offer, will be greatly appreciated.

I have Nj Fid non resident and needed to change address as non resident. So started July 2022 to change it , it took 3.5 months to do it through totowa . Finally on 10/6 submitted nj conceal carry non resident and just two weeks ago was emailed that I didn’t sign two pages of the application so I had to sign them . So I’m still waiting . So is March a good time to contact totowa again??

I would give them 6 months before contacting them, just my two cents. I know these are constitutional rights and we shouldn't concede to delays. However, until the courts impose a timeline we are at their mercy. Also we are in uncharted water, now that the state police is in the process alone. I am curious to know if they are going to issue the license electronically or call for a pickup. 

6 hours ago, Flyingcarpenter said:

I would give them 6 months before contacting them, just my two cents.

I spoke to nj officer at the barracks before in early December and he said it should take 2-3 weeks at the court but that was before Comrade communist Gov. Murphy made that bill . Seems like the court is held up . I emailed him two weeks ago and he told me that I didn’t sign two pages of the application so he does respond to emails. So I’ll email him next week what’s the status.

On 2/2/2023 at 8:49 PM, Tesla2014 said:

I spoke NJ officer at the barracks before in early December and he said it should take 2-3 weeks at the court but that was before Comrade communist Gov. Murphy made that bill . Seems like the court is held up . I emailed him two weeks ago and he told me that I didn’t sign two pages of the application so he does respond to emails. So I’ll email him next week what’s the status.

My understanding is that your application will not got to the court if it wasn't sent before 1/1/2023. After January 2023 its all up to the NJSP. Question for you, he contacted you about the signature or informed you after you followed up? 

5 hours ago, Frank Thomas said:

Please realize in the Army, I was expert or right below that.  My weapon was a 9mm Beretta or M16-A1.  But these little .38's... really hard to hit more than few feet away.  So I think I can qualify w/ my .38 revolver.  Just wondering if anyone knows of an easier qualifying course than gunforhire and the others.  Thanks

@Frank Thomas  In an earlier 2019 post when you first joined these forums, you stated that your were going to submit your carry permit application to Middlesex on 7/22/2019.   Care to share the results of that experience?

4 minutes ago, oldguysrule649 said:

@Frank Thomas  In an earlier 2019 post when you first joined these forums, you stated that your were going to submit your carry permit application to Middlesex on 7/22/2019.   Care to share the results of that experience?

correct... but i never did... the police sgt said he wouldn't even accept my application for concealed carry... then i heard of bruen & other cases... so i never tried pre-bruen

3 minutes ago, Frank Thomas said:

correct... but i never did... the police sgt said he wouldn't even accept my application for concealed carry... then i heard of bruen & other cases... so i never tried pre-bruen

Thank you, was just curious since you then disappeared for three years.  Fwiw, I plan to shoot my qualification at GFH.  Last weekend I practiced the GFH course of fire on my own.  Scored 46/50 with my Glock 19 and 48/50 with my Glock 26(using a G19 mag and XGRIP spacer).  The first 38 shots are at 7yds and 10yds.  I was 38/38 both times.  So needed a minimum of two hits on the Q target out of the remaining 12 shots (6 at 15yds and 6 at 25yds).  p.s. For context, I am almost 70.  I may try to qualify at a later date using my Glock 43.  However its single stack slim design is really painful due to arthritis in my hand.

17 hours ago, Flyingcarpenter said:

I would give them 6 months before contacting them, just my two cents. I know these are constitutional rights and we shouldn't concede to delays. However, until the courts impose a timeline we are at their mercy. Also we are in uncharted water, now that the state police is in the process alone. I am curious to know if they are going to issue the license electronically or call for a pickup. 

Huh? They had a 60 day timeline written into the statute. 

Your application falls under the old rules even if they changed. 

I would seek a conversation asap with the top LEO of the station..

22 hours ago, Frank Thomas said:

Cheflife, in all due respect, if I'm being robbed and beaten, and a good Samaritan with bad aim wants to assist me with his gun, I will gladly let him do so.  I could care less if he's a perfect shot at 100m

This makes no sense. If you are already struggling with being robbed and beaten, how does being shot by a good Samaritan with bad aim help you?

• Agree 2

I spend the winters down here in Florida.  Florida has NO qualification score. We do have a safe handling and a live fire.  There are now over 2.6 million CWFL's issued.  I've yet to see any news about a CWFL holder shooing random bystanders in helping others being attacked.  The only time I see that happen is when the NYPD is involved.  My wife and I live in a place in Florida that has a few older residents and new homes being built. We decided to have a party for our new neighbors to meet some of the older ones. We were happy to see how many came armed.  Both men a women. I told my sister about it who's a card carrying liberal from NJ.  She was shocked.  Her husband's brother was chief of Police in our hometown who believed only the police should have guns. They threw a fit when I bought my nephew a BB gun when he was a kid.   My wife and I had no problem with everyone being armed at our house.   I really believe some gun owners in NJ suffer from the Stockholm syndrome when it comes to the 2nd amendment.  Its not a privilege like driving, its a right.  If you do wrong with carrying a gun you will be punished, Especially in NJ.   

• Like 2

On 1/18/2023 at 11:25 PM, Malaka said:

I like these timeline posts cause its useful to get an idea of when to expect to receive the PTC. Here is my timeline, I'll make sure to edit once I actually get it.

Bergen County

11/08 - Submitted Application
11/08 - Identgo Appointment Made
11/11 - Fingerprints done
11/15 - References received letter
11/16 - Reference #1 Submitted
11/22 - Reference #2 Submitted
11/24 - Reference #3 Submitted
11/28 - PD Confirmed received references
12/5 - PD Confirmed Fingerprints Complete
1/12 - Money order cashed

I thought it takes ~1 week according to other's timeline from money order cashed to receiving PTC, so far no call yet. I'm debating on contacting PD but the person in charge of firearms gets a bit annoyed and I don't want any retaliatory delays. Probably gonna tell me to contact the courts.

This process was a nightmare. I applied along with two other friends. Gonna name them #1, #2, and #3(me). Applications were submitted about a month apart each.

References:

#1, references were never sent out, found out a month later when applicant #2 references arrived that these papers should have been sent out.

#2, reference papers lost at PD, 2/3 references had to receive paperwork again, fill out, and resubmit.

#3, no issue with references. Made sure to call and confirm they received them.

Qualification(all done at Reloaderz):

#1 qualified with 1 striker fired.

#2 qualified with 2 handguns, both hammer fired. Passed with the compact so was approved with the full-size.

#3, decided I wanted to use all 4 spots on qualification. Qualified with Hellcat & was approved for other 3(pocket & two full-size). Was explained at the range as long as you qualify with one action type(striker, hammer, or revolver) then you are approved for all that have that same type action. I was ready to qualify with Hellcat(assuming auto approved on full-size) and LCP Max(internal hammer so not a striker-fired??) Spent close to 1000rnds practicing with LCP Max because hitting accurately at 25 yards is...not easy task. Passed with Hellcat, they considered the LCP a striker fired and approved me for all 4 handguns. Had an issue submitting application, qualification form refused probably cause I put 4 handguns on there. Didn't accept the reasoning that qualifying with one same action(striker) meant I was fine with other 3. I really just wanted the Hellcat and LCP Max due to their size, didn't care much for other 2 full-size(probably would have never carried). Somehow barely passed with LCP Max(48/60). Resubmitted with 2 separate qualification forms for Hellcat & LCP Max - accepted by PD(phew).

PD questioned me if I did my fingerprints, concerned me that they never got it or gave me wrong case#. Confirmed later they got the fingerprints. I preferred email communication to keep records just incase. A bit of a frustrating process because it seems like they didn't bother reading the emails fully and responses were unrelated to my simple questions. Redirected me to contact court instead. Finally got PD to confirm they have everything necessary, began checking money order often. Been a month since I submitted application and money order wasn't cashed. Called court, was sent to a voicemail system. Never got a callback or response, but next day money order was cashed.

So far #1 & #2 have not received PTC even though they submitted earlier than me. #1 lost money order receipt. #2 money order was cashed mid-Dec. I'm giving it till Feb to contact PD and ask if they received my PTC.

Update on this. My friend #1 got impatient and decided to make some calls. Called the mayors office and was told someone would contact the chief to find out. Turns out he gets a call from the PD and they tell him come Monday to pickup the permit. He asked about #2 and me and #2 is also getting theirs on Monday. Mine unfortunately not back from court yet.

So that's good news. Bergen is working at it slowly. One submitted October and the other either late Sept or early Oct. About 3-4 months from submission to getting them.

Submitted everything on 9/23/22. Still nothing, money order not cashed. Inquired several times and the local PD doesn't really tell you anything. This is in Passaic County.  The courts are no longer involved. Everything is handled by PD and signed by the Chief. Latest issues Submitted in Aug. Early September. It shouldn't take this long at all. Hopefully I see mine in the next few weeks. 

Ex Carnival, I think some of the pro-2nd amendment folks are very responsible.  Too responsible in some ways.  They only want the best of the best to own a gun.  And avoid an accidental shooting at all costs.  It's very noble.  But it's going to stop 90% of average folks from being able to own and bear arms

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Frank Thomas said:

Ex Carnival, I think some of the pro-2nd amendment folks are very responsible.  Too responsible in some ways.  They only want the best of the best to own a gun.  And avoid an accidental shooting at all costs.  It's very noble.  But it's going to stop 90% of average folks from being able to own and bear arms

IMO the most important part of carrying a gun is knowing when or where to take it out.  Next would be where its okay to carry one. Most of us will hopefully never have to use one.  For me drawing a weapon is a very last resort.  If I have to take one out its a very bad situation.  Its in anyone's best interest if their going to carry one to practice with it.  If not your going to be the one going to jail. 

• Agree 1

Submitted completed App 9-26-22        References contacted 10-21-22                 I contacted  my PD they  called me back on 11-7-22 and said i was  Approved  and sent it to Gloucester county court  the court recieved  my application on 11-14-22 the clerk  informed  me of the current  months long  backlog  at the time.  Received email  from Court clerk  that i may come and pick up  my PTC on 2-16-23  almost  Five months.

• FacePalm 1

9 hours ago, Frank Thomas said:

Im still trying to figure out how the standard test for ccw in nj is so difficult For an "expert marksman." I've been shooting for about 3 years and I passed with a 98 and 100 with my 2 guns, one being a subcompact. If you can't shoot past 10 yards, you are not being responsible. This isn't complicated stuff. 

As to ex Carnival, if you use Google, you'll see ccw miss their target plenty of times. 

If you are a RESPONSIBLE gun owner, you would take a class and become proficient. 

The first amendment is freedom of speech etc, but you would agree its not necessarily  right to call someone's grandma a bi*ch. Stop using the 2nd amendment as a reason to suck at shooting. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Cheflife15 said:

Im still trying to figure out how the standard test for ccw in nj is so difficult For an "expert marksman." I've been shooting for about 3 years and I passed with a 98 and 100 with my 2 guns, one being a subcompact. If you can't shoot past 10 yards, you are not being responsible. This isn't complicated stuff. 

As to ex Carnival, if you use Google, you'll see ccw miss their target plenty of times. 

If you are a RESPONSIBLE gun owner, you would take a class and become proficient. 

The first amendment is freedom of speech etc, but you would agree its not necessarily  right to call someone's grandma a bi*ch. Stop using the 2nd amendment as a reason to suck at shooting. 

What if someone's grandma IS a bitch and is acing like one?

While I personally agree with the sentiment that you should train as much as possible and become proficient with handling any firearms you have, I agree with Frank Thomas that there's a culture in the NJ gun community (particularly on this board) that only "the best of the best" should be able to have a carry permit.

Hell, I was at an action shooting match and some of the A class shooters who didn't have carry permits yet were rolling their eyes when they heard that some of the C and U shooters had theirs.  Yup, they felt that the 'lesser' shooters weren't as deserving as they were.

Egos and assholes go together.

Most states don't require a shooting test, and I'm not aware of any that mandate shooting out to 25 yards (not even NJ).  It would be absurd if they did as most of the data available shows that shooting happen at close range.

Instead of insulting a fellow forum member/gun owner, maybe we should be more constructive and supportive?

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

What if someone's grandma IS a bitch and is acing like one?

While I personally agree with the sentiment that you should train as much as possible and become proficient with handling any firearms you have, I agree with Frank Thomas that there's a culture in the NJ gun community (particularly on this board) that only "the best of the best" should be able to have a carry permit.

Hell, I was at an action shooting match and some of the A class shooters who didn't have carry permits yet were rolling their eyes when they heard that some of the C and U shooters had theirs.  Yup, they felt that the 'lesser' shooters weren't as deserving as they were.

Egos and assholes go together.

Most states don't require a shooting test, and I'm not aware of any that mandate shooting out to 25 yards (not even NJ).  It would be absurd if they did as most of the data available shows that shooting happen at close range.

Instead of insulting a fellow forum member/gun owner, maybe we should be more constructive and supportive?

You have to hit 80 percent. You can pass the Qual before you even get to 25 yards. If I remember correctly you only have to have to hit 2 at 15 yards. So 38 of your shots are within 10 yards. 

There was plenty of constructive and supportive advice. Take a class, practice, dry fire, etc. 

I dont believe you need to be the best of the best. No one is asking you to be an A class shooter. Remove ego from the conversation. You are essentially slow firing at a stationary target. You are not moving during the test. You need to hit 40 shots, of which only 6 of 50 are taken at 25 yards. Not to mention,  a q target is a pretty decent size. This test is not difficult. If you can't pass then you should spend time dry firing instead of googling easiest ccw test. 

The 2nd amendment isn't going to help me when someone I know gets shot because someone can't hit a target cause they wanna carry a cute little pistol. Carry something you can shoot. That is the responsible thing to do, 2nd amendment or not. 

10/22 RTSP qual. Longest distance was 15 yards. 
different ranges had different courses of fire. Not sure if that changed in the new ‘law’ as state allowed approved ranges their own course of fire for qualifying. Carry on 

On 2/2/2023 at 3:31 PM, Frank Thomas said:

Please realize in the Army, I was expert or right below that.  My weapon was a 9mm Beretta or M16-A1.  But these little .38's... really hard to hit more than few feet away.  So I think I can qualify w/ my .38 revolver.  Just wondering if anyone knows of an easier qualifying course than gunforhire and the others.  Thanks

What years were they only shooting to 100 meters? Since the 50’s it was 5.00- 300 meters for riifle ….As a Marine we busted army guys balls for only having to shoot to 300 meters…..”expert or right below that”  ??…… not sure what badge you earned? I’ll help you out for next time you spin the tale….marksman, sharpshooter, expert.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Flyingcarpenter said:

Has anyone received a electronic permit yet from the State Police?

I am curious to know if they have made any progress since taking the court out of the process.

CCW permits are not in FARS yet.

There is a rumored update scheduled for this month. We’ll just have to wait and see what happens.