CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

3 hours ago, Flyingcarpenter said:

Has anyone received a electronic permit yet from the State Police?

I am curious to know if they have made any progress since taking the court out of the process.

How would an electronic permit work?  Would there be an app we show the police? 

2 hours ago, High Exposure said:

CCW permits are not in FARS yet.

There is a rumored update scheduled for this month. We’ll just have to wait and see what happens.

I have a feeling that will affect when I get my permit, once FARS is sending out E permits I think things will move a little faster. I hope!

2 hours ago, joeg said:

Instead of a paper permit, you would get an image of it sent electronically. Washington DC does this now. You would have to show the cop the image on your phone (keep it charged up). I guess you could print it and carry it as well(don't know that for a fact)

3 minutes ago, Flyingcarpenter said:

Instead of a paper permit, you would get an image of it sent electronically. Washington DC does this now. You would have to show the cop the image on your phone (keep it charged up). I guess you could print it and carry it as well(don't know that for a fact)

Thanks.  Couldn't someone just photoshop an image?  Technically, the permits NJ has are a joke too and can be made by a 6th grader.  Hopefully, they switch to a more durable and longer-lasting credit card type of permit and the espirations go away. 

7 hours ago, pjd832 said:

What years were they only shooting to 100 meters? Since the 50’s it was 5.00- 300 meters for riifle ….As a Marine we busted army guys balls for only having to shoot to 300 meters…..”expert or right below that”  ??…… not sure what badge you earned? I’ll help you out for next time you spin the tale….marksman, sharpshooter, expert.

Based on some of the feedback... is it possible the army targets are different than the targets used by NJ Qualifying Course?  Like in the Army, we had to hit little black silohettes on a large target ... . are the targets larger in NJ?  thanksf0fcd2c9324d6c5b086e5eb69ed1.webp 

3 minutes ago, joeg said:

Thanks.  Couldn't someone just photoshop an image?  Technically, the permits NJ has are a joke too and can be made by a 6th grader.  Hopefully, they switch to a more durable and longer-lasting credit card type of permit and the espirations go away. 

The point of the new law is to eliminate paper permits, at least at the State Police level. Anything can be counterfeited, however cops have a way of verifying if a permit is active.

8 minutes ago, Flyingcarpenter said:

The point of the new law is to eliminate paper permits, at least at the State Police level. Anything can be counterfeited, however cops have a way of verifying if a permit is active.

True.  Thanks

2 hours ago, Frank Thomas said:

Based on some of the feedback... is it possible the army targets are different than the targets used by NJ Qualifying Course?  Like in the Army, we had to hit little black silohettes on a large target ... . are the targets larger in NJ?  thanksf0fcd2c9324d6c5b086e5eb69ed1.webp 

FBI 'Q' target:

FBI-Q-Target-by-Targets4Free-Preview-Sni

Order a pack here for practice -

https://www.amazon.com/Official-Silhouette-Shooting-Training-Target/dp/B0BKH92DF5/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3OUSNMLZ4Y6NU&keywords=FBI-Q+TARGETS&qid=1675560905&s=sporting-goods&sprefix=fbi-q+targets%2Csporting%2C95&sr=1-4

ANYWHERE inside the bowling pin shape is a 'score', so I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how many you hit at 7, 10, 15, and 25 yards.

• Thanks 1

On 2/2/2023 at 8:05 PM, Flyingcarpenter said:

Applied 7/22 as a non resident at the Totawa Barracks,  finger printed the same day, follow up email 60 days later. My buddy applied two weeks after me and never followed up(I was called as one of his references). As of today I am still waiting, my application miss the court cutoff and will hopefully be determined by the NJSP. My buddy received his permit at the court on 1/19/23(was told he is in the last 20 people processed in that court). I have followed up 3 times total (each time extremely courteous and polite) , received short grumpy emails each time, money order still uncashed. Conclusion, Totawa NJSP does not like people asking about their status and will further delay your permit each time you contact them. I will not follow up again till end of March. In March I will consider contacting his superior/consul. I have permits from NYC(premise) NJ (FOID), CT, DC, PA, MD, UT, FL and a Canadian Restricted and Unrestricted PAL(possession and acquisition License).I have no criminal history.  Any advice the forum can offer, will be greatly appreciated.

That's ridiculous. They must have lost your application or something. I applied for non-resident permit at Totowa NJSP in mid August. Had the permit issued on the 19th as well, probably one of the same 20 ppl as your friend.

Contact [email protected] - that's the head unit at NJSP superintendent office that oversees CCW permitting for the state. They should have received your application after Totowa cleared you and should be able to tell you the status. 

42 minutes ago, Frank Thomas said:

124gr... thanks so much for that info... so depending on the distances... think qualifying w/ my .38 revolver is like 75-80%... with tiny .380 s&w... probably 25-35%... i'll report back if i qualify or not... thanks again

I'm driving backup to NJ at the end of the month. I decided to bring my one of HK VP9sk's up with me and my Glock 42.  I went to the Ft. Myers gun show today and picked up some extra NJ legal mags for both.  I use to shoot GSSF matches. I stopped shooting Glocks when I got into HK's.  As much as I like Glocks I found nothing fits my hand and feels as good to shoot as the VP9 series.  When we built the house down here I brought 90% of my stuff  down. I never thought I would be bringing anything back to NJ.  I still have my Glock 30 up there but that would be like carrying a brick all day at work.  I feel .45 ball is a good choice for a state that we can't carry JHP in.  I wish that G30 fit my hand and carried as well as that VP9sk does. 

On 2/2/2023 at 1:50 PM, Frank Thomas said:

Am I correct that all qualifying ranges require 80% to pass?   So I have to fire 50 rounds and hit 40?  Or are there any ranges w/ easier requirements?  I plan on qualifying with a Taurus .38 revolver and a tiny smith & wessson .380 handgun w/ a 6-round clip.  When I go to the range, at about 30 yards, I can hit targets about 50% of the time w/ the .38 revolver.  But only about 10% of the time w/ the tiny .380.  There's no way I can hit 80% with either gun.  Here's my questions:  #1 - Is it possible the range will give me a certificate even if I don't hit 40 of 50 rounds?  And #2 - Should I just try qualifying with the .38 revolver since the permits hopefully won't list what weapons I'm licensed to carry?  Thanks

Dont know where you are . Take a trip to shooters NJ and try to quality 
You want Paul Whittaker. his qual is exactly what you're looking for 10@5 10@ 7.5 10@ 10 need 24/30 hits 

For anyone else saying "thats not a good idea" Sorry no other state that I got a CCW from requires this qualifying crap. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • FacePalm 1

On 2/2/2023 at 1:50 PM, Frank Thomas said:

Am I correct that all qualifying ranges require 80% to pass?   So I have to fire 50 rounds and hit 40?  Or are there any ranges w/ easier requirements?  I plan on qualifying with a Taurus .38 revolver and a tiny smith & wessson .380 handgun w/ a 6-round clip.  When I go to the range, at about 30 yards, I can hit targets about 50% of the time w/ the .38 revolver.  But only about 10% of the time w/ the tiny .380.  There's no way I can hit 80% with either gun.  Here's my questions:  #1 - Is it possible the range will give me a certificate even if I don't hit 40 of 50 rounds?  And #2 - Should I just try qualifying with the .38 revolver since the permits hopefully won't list what weapons I'm licensed to carry?  Thanks

You want Paul Whittaker. his qual is exactly what you're looking for 10@5 10@ 7.5 10@ 10 need 24/30 hits 

For anyone else saying "thats not a good idea" Sorry no other state that I got a CCW from requires this qualifying crap. 

*He might have changed his course since when I took it but when i took it it was exactly those requirements 

15 hours ago, joeg said:

You will download a pdf of your permit.

You can save it to your phone, print it full size, or reduce it to about 42% print it, and fold it over to credit card size.

The card contains a URL which can be used for verification of the permit.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Flyingcarpenter said:

retired cops in nj currently have an "E" ccw permit,    you upload several documents and it is emailed,   it looks fake as well

the system is in place to start tomorrow if they wanted to.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IhateNJ said:

What some don't understand is once you allow NJ to get away with qualification's they won't stop there. Within 10 years or sooner it will be 5 shots at 300 feet and you have to have score 4 out of 5 standing on one foot jumping up and down.   Many other restrictions will follow.  I'm glad my second home is here in Florida. Our Governor said he will sign Constitutional Carry making Florida the 25th state that will have it. 

1 hour ago, EX Carnival man said:

What some don't understand is once you allow NJ to get away with qualification's they won't stop there. Within 10 years or sooner it will be 5 shots at 300 feet and you have to have score 4 out of 5 standing on one foot jumping up and down.   Many other restrictions will follow.  I'm glad my second home is here in Florida. Our Governor said he will sign Constitutional Carry making Florida the 25th state that will have it. 

Unfortunately, lot of gun enthusiasts... would say i can hit targets jumping on one foot... and I don't want anyone having a gun who can't fire as good as me... we may as well go back to denying everyone constitutional right to own & bear arms

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Burlington County - Willingboro Twp. 

8/16/22 Fingerprints done same day and app handed in

9/15/22 References contacted

10/26/22 Sent to court

12/12/22 MO cashed

12/28/22 Sent to Judge

1/10/23 Signed by Judge

1/31/23 Picked up from Local PD 

• Informative 1

On 2/4/2023 at 5:55 PM, Flyingcarpenter said:

What I do know is the laptop in patrol cars do not have instant access to any NJ PCH database. That was about 5-6 months ago when a trooper I know and trust was asked about this. There may not even be a database on a government server. My guess is the PO would have to call the PD who took the application packet and have someone actually pull the hard copy from a file cabinet. 

1 hour ago, CMJeepster said:

Too long...

I talked to my local PD last week and they don’t have any sense of direction yet.  Apparently it’s with the chief.  I talked to my references over the weekend and they have not been contacted.  I’m about 5 weeks into the process.  Submitted a Week before the changes.

Is the 60day window still the same with the new rules?

So I just ask my local Police Department what the process was to add an additional firearm to my permit and approximately how long it would take for my son to get a permit after submitting all the paperwork and getting prints done.

He said as per NJSP I can carry any legally owned pistol if my permitt is unrestricted and that they could issue a permit in 3-4 weeks now..

life if looking good.

3E910EC1-FC68-4771-86FB-5F7B49E00590.jpeg

On 2/5/2023 at 1:07 PM, Frank Thomas said:

Unfortunately, lot of gun enthusiasts... would say i can hit targets jumping on one foot... and I don't want anyone having a gun who can't fire as good as me... we may as well go back to denying everyone constitutional right to own & bear arms

I think the overwhelming consensus on this board is that there should not be any qualification requirement. You will also not find many that think practice and training, at least to the level of most of the qualifications courses, is a bad idea.

With that said, I can't remember the last time I went to the range and didn't hear folks talk about how badly most LEOs shoot. Ironic.