CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

I recall going into a store that had a sign posted no mask no entry no service and this was in the past few months. I stuck my head in the door and I said you should add and no business and left. The same should apply to those that post no firearms permitted.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, MJFNJ said:

How do I get a password to this page?

Thanks

There isn't a password.  If you add the county, city, business name in a response to the thread (or PM me) I'll see it and add the information to the top post.   It was the best way I could think of to keep all of the data in one post, rather than scattered throughout the thread.

8 minutes ago, 10X said:

There isn't a password.  If you add the county, city, business name in a response to the thread (or PM me) I'll see it and add the information to the top post.   It was the best way I could think of to keep all of the data in one post, rather than scattered throughout the thread.

I was trying to view the page and used the link provided, but it asked for a password.

1 hour ago, MJFNJ said:

I was trying to view the page and used the link provided, but it asked for a password.

Ah, I understand now.   That page is in the 'First Amendment Lounge', which does require a password in order to view any pages there.

Security is tight, it would require a bank of quantum computers running the latest classified cryptography software in order to hack into this inner sanctum of the NJ Gun Forum.   

As a helpful workaround, the password is printed for all to see at the bottom of the login page for the First Amendment Lounge.  :D  You'll spot it now that you know it's there.  I believe you have to re-enter it every three days (or maybe it's weekly, per @CMJeepster) in order to maintain access to that forum.

In keeping with password security best practices, the password changes every...well, OK, it has never been changed.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, 10X said:

Ah, I understand now.   That page is in the 'First Amendment Lounge', which does require a password in order to view any pages there.

Security is tight, it would require a bank of quantum computers running the latest classified cryptology software in order to hack into this inner sanctum of the NJ Gun Forum.   

As a helpful workaround, the password is printed for all to see at the bottom of the login page for the First Amendment Lounge.  :D  You'll spot it now that you know it's there.  I believe you have to re-enter it every three days (or maybe it's weekly, per @CMJeepster) in order to maintain access to that forum.

In keeping with password security best practices, the password changes every...well, OK, it has never been changed.

Thank you

16 minutes ago, joeg said:

Has there been a case where there was an attack in a store that posted a 'no gun' sign and the person later sued the store because they weren't allowed to protect themselves?

Not that I'm aware of, though this scenario reminds me of the Luby's Cafeteria shooting in Texas back in 1991.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luby's_shooting

I remember it because I remember Suzanna Hupp, who lost both of her parents in the shooting, calling out Texas for not allowing CCW.   She had left her .38 revolver in her car outside, rather than risk carrying it into the Luby's on her person. 

From the Wikipedia article:

The Texas State Rifle Association and others preferred that the state allow its citizens to carry concealed weapons.[22] Democratic governor Ann Richards vetoed such bills, but in 1995 her Republican successor, George W. Bush, signed one into force.[24] The law had been campaigned for by Suzanna Hupp, who was present at the massacre; both of her parents, Alphonse "Al" Gratia and Ursula "Suzy" Gratia, were killed by Hennard.[25] She later testified that she would have liked to have had her .38 revolver,[10] but said, "It was a hundred feet away in my car." (She had feared that if she was caught carrying it she might lose her chiropractor's license.)[23] Hupp testified across the country in support of concealed handgun laws, and was elected to the Texas House of Representativesin 1996.[26]

• Like 2

Similar story here:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/widow-gun-laws-stalker-killed-husband

Nikki Goeser, whose husband was shot and killed by her stalker at a restaurant, said on Wednesday that gun control laws prevented her from defending herself and her husband.

“This happened in a restaurant that was a gun-free zone. ... I obeyed that law. Of course, the man who was stalking me did not have a permit to carry, brought a gun in illegally and shot my husband seven times. ... I will probably wonder for the rest of my life if I could have prevented that. Of course, I will never know because I was denied a chance. I was stalked and defenseless,” Goeser told “Fox & Friends” Wednesday.

• Like 1
  • Informative 3

3 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

Similar story here:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/widow-gun-laws-stalker-killed-husband

Nikki Goeser, whose husband was shot and killed by her stalker at a restaurant, said on Wednesday that gun control laws prevented her from defending herself and her husband.

“This happened in a restaurant that was a gun-free zone. ... I obeyed that law. Of course, the man who was stalking me did not have a permit to carry, brought a gun in illegally and shot my husband seven times. ... I will probably wonder for the rest of my life if I could have prevented that. Of course, I will never know because I was denied a chance. I was stalked and defenseless,” Goeser told “Fox & Friends” Wednesday.

Unfortunately it may to take more incidents like this.  If it’s past the required issue time for ccw and somebody is hurt chances are the state is going to get sued.

8 hours ago, RadioGunner said:

The problem I have with this is the state encouraging or even demanding that establishments ban carry. And that any ban doesn’t extend to retired law enforcement. 

Any ban should be entirely voluntary and the state should have no say. Unfortunately I suspect they’ve been getting nudged by the administration. 

I still don't quite understand how a RPO exception isn't a direct violation of the equal protections clause of the 14th amendment.  I guess some people are just more equal than others.

11 hours ago, Ferris said:

I still don't quite understand how a RPO exception isn't a direct violation of the equal protections clause of the 14th amendment.  I guess some people are just more equal than others.

Thank goodness for Pres Trump & his Supreme Court appointees.  By exempting retired police from gun laws, our Gov't has truly created a privileged class of people.  Per the 14th Amendment, Government people can't be given rights that non-Government people don't have:  14th Amendment... "No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."   By writing laws that favor retired gov't employees over non-gov't employees, the anti-gun laws are not "equally protection" everyone 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Finally f’ing done in Middlesex county. No restrictions!!! 

8/15 - applied and gave all ppwk to pd. 

9/1 pd called said mailed to court. No references called  

9/15 pd called to say your notary stamp not there

10/3 given back with notary stamp in place 

11/1 called criminal division at xxxx. Person said it was sent up to the judge on 10/12. Couldn’t give a timetable but said to um expect a call soon. 

12/9 - got a letter from judge that no proof ownership included. Went to pd and they said I was the second person to receive that letter today and that it was bs. (No shit I gave everything initially)

1/13- Spoke to xxxx. We got it. It’s on the judge’s desk.  We are no longer doing them. He wants to clear them. Hopefully soon. We’ll call you when it’s ready. 

1/26 -Spoke to xxxx. Said any day now. Ones near my application were just processed. 

2/9 - Received message from xxxx that my permit is signed and can be picked up. 

2/10 - picked up from court. 

• Like 2

Picked up my permit yesterday, total time 6 months 9 days. No restrictions as to gun I can carry. I guess electronic permits are a thing in the future, I got paper. Money order was never cashed, so I couldn't use that as an indicator. Overall it was a straight forward process, just no info in between the wait time. Trooper wasn't bad to deal with. Applied at Totowa State police, Non resident. I hear the wait times are getting longer(dropping off application requires signing a wait list) hope this helps someone.

• Informative 1

I didn't get around to applying for my permit and decided to wait and see how the process settled out... Originally I was going to apply immediately (I have the earlier forms sitting on my desk with references on all of them, but useless now that there is a newer form) and work/travel got in the way…my question is, I did get my fingerprinting done way back with the code from my local PD, according to the FAQ on RTSP fingerprints need to be done within 90 days of application.  Does that mean you have 90 days from time of application to get fingerprinted, and therefore my fingerprinting, done during the summer, is still valid for my application that I plan to complete in March?

On 2/10/2023 at 1:07 PM, Frank Thomas said:

c'mon... this is way too much work to exercise a constitutionally protected right... how we keep electing these Democrat tyrants is a mystery

No mystery.  Thanks to rampant Third World immigration, legal and illegal, there are now 1 million more Democrats than Republicans in NJ, making it unlikely that Republicans will ever again win a state-wide election, or control either house of the legislature.

But back on topic, I've been down here in Florida, carrying every day whenever I leave the house.  Unlike NJ, this state (and 30+ others) trusts me to be responsible with a firearm to protect myself and my family.  Contrary to what our hysterical legislators in NJ believe, not only do people not run around shooting each other here, one rarely (actually never) sees a gun.

I submitted my NJ CCW application about six weeks ago in Wayne.  Got a call from the detective a couple of days ago saying that I had not submitted a receipt from Identogo, and that I would need to obtain one.  Anyone ever try to contact Identogo?  I can assure you it is nearly impossible.  No phone, no email address, just an endless series of phone loops with FAQ's and directions on how to make an appointment.  Luckily, the detective called me back to say they had obtained my prints.  He said they were doing my mental health check, and should be completed in 1 1/2-2 weeks.  I don't know if that means that's when I'll get my permit, or that the chief will then begin the 1-2 month review process.  I suspect it's the latter.

8 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

No mystery.  Thanks to rampant Third World immigration, legal and illegal, there are now 1 million more Democrats than Republicans in NJ, making it unlikely that Republicans will ever again win a state-wide election, or control either house of the legislature.

But back on topic, I've been down here in Florida, carrying every day whenever I leave the house.  Unlike NJ, this state (and 30+ others) trusts me to be responsible with a firearm to protect myself and my family.  Contrary to what our hysterical legislators in NJ believe, not only do people not run around shooting each other here, one rarely (actually never) sees a gun.

I submitted my NJ CCW application about six weeks ago in Wayne.  Got a call from the detective a couple of days ago saying that I had not submitted a receipt from Identogo, and that I would need to obtain one.  Anyone ever try to contact Identogo?  I can assure you it is nearly impossible.  No phone, no email address, just an endless series of phone loops with FAQ's and directions on how to make an appointment.  Luckily, the detective called me back to say they had obtained my prints.  He said they were doing my mental health check, and should be completed in 1 1/2-2 weeks.  I don't know if that means that's when I'll get my permit, or that the chief will then begin the 1-2 month review process.  I suspect it's the latter.

Unfortunately knowing NJ it's gonna probably be the latter. If this is recent then I think the PD isn't sending anything out anymore but handling it in house. I assume it should be faster this way because involving the court's and the logistics of the application slowed it for all of us. Takes them a month sometimes just to send a completed app. Takes weeks from being approved to arriving to PD to pickup and then sometimes more weeks for PD to let you know it's ready. I don't think the PDs fully understand and know the new process so may have delays cause of that.

Hey Guys,

I have been following this topic since basically page 2 haha.  Figured i would share my experience

Ocean County

7/15 fingerprinted

12/5 Qualification completed 49/50

12/16 submitted

References: 

12/20 ref 1 received form, filled out, sent back

12/22 ref 2 received form, filled out, sent back

1/13 ref 3 received form, filled out, sent back

(ref 1 got lost in the mail while sending back, pd sent new one and received it back, ref 2 received and sent back no problem, ref 3 never got his, pd sent again and never got it, 3rd time he got it and sent it back)

2/13 got call from pd and picked up permit (no restrictions)

Just under 2 months from dropping off application to picking up permit

I am just a regular guy, no law enforcement or armored car company

Edited by Chevyman
  • Like 1