CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

On 2/11/2023 at 11:17 PM, GrumpyOldRetiree said:

I just "visited" the Delaware County website. It specifically lists Delaware County residence as a requirement. ( https://delawarepa.permitium.com/ccw/application?permittype=new). Did they process your application despite this requirement or is this a new restriction?

That was on their website when I applied back in August...they do issue to out of state residents.

On 2/11/2023 at 11:17 PM, GrumpyOldRetiree said:

I just "visited" the Delaware County website. It specifically lists Delaware County residence as a requirement. ( https://delawarepa.permitium.com/ccw/application?permittype=new). Did they process your application despite this requirement or is this a new restriction?

If memory serves, the wording in the website does say residents but as you begin the application there was something for out of state people. Just have your NJ permit and Driver’s license front and backs scanned and ready to upload, they’ll ask for that.

My Ocean County experience is not like Chevyman's

October 12 - Submitted application and all required documentation to Lacey PD. Got a Case Number and instructions to get fingerprinted.

October 24 - Got fingerprinted.

December 19 - PD called to say that my package was being sent to Ocean County Superior Court that day.

February 14 - Money Order still not cashed. No updates from the court. Waiting.......Waiting.....Waiting

8 minutes ago, MikeD said:

My Ocean County experience is not like Chevyman's

October 12 - Submitted application and all required documentation to Lacey PD. Got a Case Number and instructions to get fingerprinted.

December 19 - PD called to say that my package was being sent to Ocean County Superior Court that day.

February 14 - Money Order still not cashed. No updates from the court. Waiting.......Waiting.....Waiting

Something interesting, i just checked my money order status and it still has not been cashed. It was however made out to treasurer, I turned in my app a few days before it was no longer going to the courts

I have been meaning to post this here for the last week or so, but it looks like it will be useful to the last couple of posters. 

Lacey Township / Ocean County

8/25  Application dropped off at PD

9/9 fingerprinted

1st week of Dec References were contacted by phone

12/19 my permit was approved (as shown on the permit)

12/20 wife’s permit approved

2/3 called by PD permit was ready for pick up, picked up same day

Permit is signed by the Chief of Police.  I don’t believe it was ever forwarded to the court.  No restrictions.

Not sure when the MO was cashed, I stopped checking it around Christmas time and now it returns can’t find that MO when I check  

Ocean County update.

8/12 Applied at Berkeley township police dept.

9/12 application sent to Ocean County

2/14 got the call and picked up permit (dated 2/6). My applicant number is 537.

3 guns listed, but no restrictions.

6 months

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Almost 5 months waiting in Wayne. There is absolutely no reason today for this to be taking so long. They have all the technology to check people out etc. Hopefully the renewal process won't be like this! 

Renewal?  There's no "renewal" in the traditional sense.  You simply re-apply.  Full process, from step one.  It's insane.

59 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

The state will fuck that up.

I don’t think so. While they get the “marching orders” from the .gov, the guys porting everything to FARS are not the same people that came up with these laws.

The personnel assigned to the Firearms Unit would probably fit in pretty well here and they want to make this process as easy as possible for everyone involved - gun owners and the “State” alike.

I know there will be some growing pains, but I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt. 

• Agree 2

Ocean County experience UPDATE

February 14 3:52 pm - Lacey PD called to say my permit is ready for pick up

February 15 - Picked up my permit. Issued with No Restrictions.....126 days from application to pick up.

• Informative 1

I just heard back from my local PD (Somerset CO) regarding my permit, it was available for pickup yesterday. There were a ton of people there for that very thing. The clerk just setup a desk in the lobby and had people come and sign for them. Apparently the hold up was that there was no guidance following the change in the process and the court told her to "figure it out."

Even with their delay--turn around time was about 30 days or so.

• Like 1

Got mine from Somerset County about a month ago, took about 162 days . Sent an email application in last Friday for PA non resident got the approval 1 hr and 20 mins later and pick it up tomorrow . It was ready for pickup Monday but with work and life I made the appointment for tomorrow. NJ's time line was a complete joke but I am grateful to have it .

On 2/14/2023 at 5:19 PM, Fawkesguy said:

You check the "renewal" box at the top of SP642, and re-apply.

https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/pdf/sp-642.pdf

Speaking of the recently updated SP-642 how freaking hard is it to make a one page one sided form without it having any glaring mistakes? If I did my job like this I think I would be quickly terminated.

Box 13 doesn't allow enough characters for anything but a very short email address.

In the endorsement section acquainted is misspelled four times - presumably they got it wrong the first time and cut and pasted it three more times.

In the endorsement section there is an additional line, setup as a text field, in the address section that isn't labeled and serves apparently no purpose.

Hey but at least the people endorsing you can have email addresses on services like optonline or comcast instead of aol.