CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

On 2/23/2023 at 1:47 PM, ESB said:

The most common out of state permits are Utah and FL.  You can do both at the same time.  Just need to pay for the extra set of prints for FL.  FL just adds FL.  So if you will never travel to FL, you probably don't need it.  Also there is a good chance they will be going to permitless carry soon, but who knows when and what that will look like.  That said, the FL permit is good for 7 years.   My recommendation would be that if you are getting Utah and they offer FL at the same time, pay the extra ~$25 for it.  I don't think it would be worth it to get FL on its own.   

I was looking to get connecticut too.  I signed up for the Florida UT course, which includes the NRA course, which is a prerequisite for the CT permit.  I believe that should satisfy the CT needs and then I can apply/get approved for CT too. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyB said:

I will qualify with my High-Standard Victor. A .22LR target pistol that never misses the target!  I'd never carry it for SD though!

To make your attorney's job a little more achievable IF you get involved in a shooting, it is highly advisable to have qualified with the gun you were carrying.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyB said:

I will qualify with my High-Standard Victor. A .22LR target pistol that never misses the target!  I'd never carry it for SD though!

Good luck! I keep reading on this thread that any qualification is pretty much impossible to pass with anything short of a scoped target gun. 

• Haha 4

42 minutes ago, RichP said:

Good luck! I keep reading on this thread that any qualification is pretty much impossible to pass with anything short of a scoped target gun. 

Hmmm...just curious...where are you reading how difficult it is to shoot/pass the qualification course. Gun For Hire lists their course-of-fire using the standard FBI Q target. I am a cock-eyed old man who hasn't shot pistols in several years. I pulled a few of my guns out of the safe, cleaned them and successfully shot that course-of-fire for practice at my home range with each of those guns. All iron sights and included a compact (M&P 9C) and a sub-compact (SIG P290RS). With the SIG I had 1 miss at 25 yards. All the rest were 100%. In my judgement, if you can't pass the GFH qualification course you have no business carrying a gun!

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

I sold my home in NJ and bought a house in South Carolina. I'm going to give my experience getting my CCW in South Carolina.

You need to take a CCW course. I took it at a place called Ken-Tec in Mullins SC. The guy was great. the class was about 3 hours. Then you took a multiple choice/true false test. The instructor graded it after we took it. He had a range in his yard where you had to qualify at 7 yards with 25 rounds. When the course was done the instructor signed off on your application and qualification forms. I took the course on January 29th. I then had to make an appointment for fingerprints at IdentoGo. I had my fingerprints done on January 31st. IdentiGo did the fingerprints, scanned my application and qualification and my DL and Passport and submitted it all to South Carolina. I received my CCW permit in the mail today. Feb 25th.

• Like 2

On 2/25/2023 at 8:25 PM, Bri894 said:

you had to qualify at 7 yards with 25 rounds

When I took it in 2018 at Palmetto State Armory in Summerville, I had to follow the course of fire below, which apparently is only "suggested" now: 

https://www.sled.sc.gov/forms/regulatory/CWP info 080621/CWP Instructor Lesson Plan (New Topics and Course of Fire) with NOTICE (08.06.21).pdf

image.thumb.png.4b2ce6bdf43cba4dcc2ac12c11091a84.png

1 hour ago, YankeeSC said:

When I took it in 2018 at Palmetto State Armory in Summerville, I had to follow the course of fire below, which apparently is only "suggested" now .....

So ... No passing score, just a pass/fail grade at the instructor's discretion.

16 minutes ago, PK90 said:

So ... No passing score, just a pass/fail grade at the instructor's discretion.

There is, but for some reason it's not referenced in that document.  IIRC you need to hit minimum 20/25 within the target, which was like a standard IPSC target body shape.

UPDATE:  well apparently not, I can't find any reference to a live fire requirement other than "the actual firing of the handgun in the presence of the instructor, provided that a minimum of twenty-five rounds must be fired;"

https://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t23c031.php

I guess it's up to the instructor. Interesting.

I live in NY State.  Applied in October at Totowa SP.  Trooper was easy to work with.  Probably delayed for the mental health form return from Albany.  Still waiting, 4 months + now.  I just qualified with a new firearm at GFH, so that I am prepared to add it to my permit if it specifies each gun carried.  If it covers all owned handguns, then at least I have a copy of my qualification filed at home in the event I am ever questioned about my ability to handle the weapon.  GFH  uses FBI Q target with 50 rounds fired:  24 rounds at 7yd., 14 rounds at 10yd., 6 rounds at 15yd., and 6 rounds at 25yd.  The score is recorded on the qualification form. 

Edited by Alupnorth
spelling error

Submitted prints 11/10/22.   Followed up with local pd 2/14 of statis.   Got a call today from local pd saying that my prints were never received and it's past 90 days I will have to get them done again.  I provided the receipt to local pd.  Still not sufficient.  Is this a common issue?  Next print appointment is mid March.  They will not process my application until I get prints done again.  

57 minutes ago, Serious said:

Submitted prints 11/10/22.   Followed up with local pd 2/14 of statis.   Got a call today from local pd saying that my prints were never received and it's past 90 days I will have to get them done again.  I provided the receipt to local pd.  Still not sufficient.  Is this a common issue?  Next print appointment is mid March.  They will not process my application until I get prints done again.  

NY State resident.  I had a similar experience with my Firearms Purchaser ID card.  After a search I found a telephone number for IdentoGO.  877-503-5981.  You would need the TCN number from the IdentoGO receipt.  Maybe they can help you or give you a retake at no charge.  In my case, in the interim, the trooper found my prints, so I guess they have some secret resources.  I don't know if the local pd can do that.  I hope that helps you. 

P.S.  In my prior post where I mentioned the qualification course at GFH, passing grade is 80%.  Thanks folks. 

• Agree 1

On 2/20/2023 at 6:26 PM, Bzerk said:

Pike County was a breeze. Google their County website , go to licenses . 

Holy cow, you weren't kidding.  Less than 36 hours after emailing my application, I received a reply asking me to call to schedule a time to pick up the permit.  NJ took almost 4 months.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Serious said:

Initially my PD claimed they didn't have my prints and I called back days later and they confirmed they got them. Issues with PTC in NJ? Very common. Just heard yesterday a friend got his denied cause of an error on form. They waited over 4 months to find out. They were told they gotta resubmit and pay new 200$ fee.

• Agree 1
  • FacePalm 1

On 2/28/2023 at 1:28 PM, CMJeepster said:

I hate this state.

I was born and raised here. I love NJ. But I sure as hell HATE the government in this state. Their corruption started with a sales tax, then a State Income tax and the snowball hasn't stopped rolling, getting bigger, as it has been nonstop ever since. The problem is the NJ Government.

F Murphy Sticker.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Not sure if this is the right post to ask this but does anyone have a permit with 'None' ticked for restrictions but...below that lists the firearms you qualified with?  So which is it...no restrictions or are you restricted to the firearms listed?

2 minutes ago, Dooly said:

Not sure if this is the right post to ask this but does anyone have a permit with 'None' ticked for restrictions but...below that lists the firearms you qualified with?  So which is it...no restrictions or are you restricted to the firearms listed?

Mine has that. No Restrictions, no court order. But I have the qualified firearms with serial listed. You are advised to play it safe and only use those. But the law says anything you own and there is no court order so I believe you can carry anything you own.

If there are two "statements of fact" on a permit:

1. There are no restrictions on this permit. (The box is checked.)

2. I passed qualification test(s) with the following handgun(s): (There's a list.)

Absent a court order, the statutes stand as written, and those two statements of fact draw no conclusions. You can carry anything you legally own.

Do as you see fit.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fawkesguy said:

Holy cow, you weren't kidding.  Less than 36 hours after emailing my application, I received a reply asking me to call to schedule a time to pick up the permit.  NJ took almost 4 months.

Yep! Less than 24 hours for me.  Lol. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Serious said:

How does a failure of the NJ State mandated subcontractor make you liable for paying fees all over again?

• Agree 1

They are doing everything possible to discourage people from getting a CCP. The state has burdened towns with work on this. 4 references that have to be called! 500 applications that's 2000 phone calls. Ridiculous! You apply to purchase a handgun, your checked out again, references again. Go to pick up the handgun they have to do another NICS check and you pay again! The courts have to put a stop to what is actually harassment! 5 to 6 months to get a CCP. Totally ridiculous!

I spoke to a local detective from another township and he told me that it wouldn't be my problem, I followed through with everything I needed to.  I told the clerk that and she told me if I want the permit I have to get the prints again.   Period.  She gave me some excuse saying I probably put the wrong ori number, which I didn't.  Or that a crime could have been committed in the last 90 days, which hasnt happend, and that I need to get them done again.  Funny thing is,  within the time I submitted my ptc application I submitted and was approved for a pistol permit.  It just doesn't make any sense.  Print date is 2 weeks from now, I asked her to confirm that after I get the prints done will there be anything else that is time sensitive that will expire and she told me no, they have everything finished and just need the prints.   Idk.  Just sharing my experience.   Submitted app 11/10/22.