CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

On 2/28/2023 at 3:09 PM, 45Doll said:

If there are two "statements of fact" on a permit:

1. There are no restrictions on this permit. (The box is checked.)

2. I passed qualification test(s) with the following handgun(s): (There's a list.)

Absent a court order, the statutes stand as written, and those two statements of fact draw no conclusions. You can carry anything you legally own.

Do as you see fit.

I just spoke to 2 prominent 2A attorneys and they both have no idea how to interpret my situation.

To reiterate my situation, I have None ticked for restrictions but there is a list of the firearms that I qualified with further below in the white space.  There is no mention of being limited to them either.  So to summarize, I have None for restrictions, but there is a list of firearms further below.  

The attorney even called the county judges office to see if they can amend my permit to just have it blank or to get clarification however they said the judge is not amending anyone's permit nor providing how to interpret it.  

In the end, the attorneys then just recommended to stick with whatever firearm is listed on the back to err on the safe side unless I want to spend a ton of money (which I don't have) to get iron clad clarification.

Lovely.

7 minutes ago, Dooly said:

I just spoke to 2 prominent 2A attorneys and they both have no idea how to interpret my situation.

To reiterate my situation, I have None ticked for restrictions but there is a list of the firearms that I qualified with further below in the white space.  There is no mention of being limited to them either.  So to summarize, I have None for restrictions, but there is a list of firearms further below.  

The attorney even called the county judges office to see if they can amend my permit to just have it blank or to get clarification however they said the judge is not amending anyone's permit nor providing how to interpret it.  

In the end, the attorneys then just recommended to stick with whatever firearm is listed on the back to err on the safe side unless I want to spend a ton of money (which I don't have) to get iron clad clarification.

Lovely.

Just exactly the way New Jermany designed it; be completely nonsensical.

As I said, do as you see fit. For myself, if I was going to carry something not listed on my permit, I'd have a copy of the statute with me, and be able to quote it verbatim, should an officer become curious.

NJ 2C:58-4. Permits to carry handguns
a. One permit shall be sufficient for all handguns owned by the holder...

There are no other qualifications or restrictions in that block, except that the permit is only good for the person who it (the permit) belongs to. Duh.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/28/2023 at 2:34 PM, Dooly said:

Not sure if this is the right post to ask this but does anyone have a permit with 'None' ticked for restrictions but...below that lists the firearms you qualified with?  So which is it...no restrictions or are you restricted to the firearms listed?

Yup, that’s what I have. Typical NJ doublespeak

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, 45Doll said:

Just exactly the way New Jermany designed it; be completely nonsensical.

As I said, do as you see fit. For myself, if I was going to carry something not listed on my permit, I'd have a copy of the statute with me, and be able to quote it verbatim, should an officer become curious.

NJ 2C:58-4. Permits to carry handguns
a. One permit shall be sufficient for all handguns owned by the holder...

There are no other qualifications or restrictions in that block, except that the permit is only good for the person who it (the permit) belongs to. Duh.

NJ and the FEDS LOVE gray areas. most laws are narrow Black/Narrow White with Wide gray area.

On 2/28/2023 at 2:34 PM, Dooly said:

Not sure if this is the right post to ask this but does anyone have a permit with 'None' ticked for restrictions but...below that lists the firearms you qualified with?  So which is it...no restrictions or are you restricted to the firearms listed?

On mine the side with the picture has "Employee of armored car company" but it is not checked. Doesn't mention anything about restrictions and doesn't list guns I qualified with. Just the armored car thing, picture, my signature and "this card may be laminated". Does that mean I can carry anything I own??

1 hour ago, MB24 said:

On mine the side with the picture has "Employee of armored car company" but it is not checked. Doesn't mention anything about restrictions and doesn't list guns I qualified with. Just the armored car thing, picture, my signature and "this card may be laminated". Does that mean I can carry anything I own??

Mine is exactly the same. From Raritan Township.  I assume we’re clear to carry any handgun we own. 

205 days and I picked it up today.  NJSP took almost 5 months to get it to the courts.  The courts had it when NJ's new law was passed removing the courts from the process - but continued with issuing the permits they had anyway.  It was then sent back to NJSP where it only sat for 3 weeks.  I expected it to be there for months.  No restrictions. 

Applied for my PA permit in Delco Co. this evening.  I bet that will go a little faster.

• Informative 1

I got my application in on 12/22/22 (yes, a buzzer beater), and just got the call today from the Wayne  PD that it has been approved, and that I can pick it up.

Somewhat ironically, I got the call as I was sitting in Newark Airport on my way to Florida for a few weeks, where I can carry almost anywhere I want, with only a few small exceptions.

I should note that the detective in Wayne was helpful and courteous, the whole process taking just over two months.  Any one else get a permit issued in Wayne?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CMJeepster said:

I spoke to Discover this morning and expressed my objections.  I also told them that I am discontinuing all purchases using their card.  I am not canceling the card, since that may affect my credit rating or FICO score.  I have been a Discover customer for 32 years. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Alupnorth said:

I spoke to Discover this morning and expressed my objections.  I also told them that I am discontinuing all purchases using their card.  I am not canceling the card, since that may affect my credit rating or FICO score.  I have been a Discover customer for 32 years. 

Good to hear that you expressed your opinion to them.  Sorry to hear that they don't respect such a long-time customer.

33 minutes ago, Alupnorth said:

I think @CMJeepster was politely trying to tell you that the Discover Card issue has nothing to do with the stated topic of this thread - “NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience”.

And - he was also helpfully showing you where discussions about the Discover Card should be posted, in a different thread dedicated to that topic.

By doing this, it keeps everyone on track, keeps thread drift to a minimum, and puts all pertinent information (both objective and subjective) on a given topic in one location.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

I think @CMJeepster was politely trying to tell you that the Discover Card issue has nothing to do with the stated topic of this thread - “NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience”.

And - he was also helpfully showing you where discussions about the Discover Card should be posted, in a different thread dedicated to that topic.

By doing this, it keeps everyone on track, keeps thread drift to a minimum, and puts all pertinent information (both objective and subjective) on a given topic in one location.

Ok, critique accepted and understood. 

• Like 3

Got a call from local pd today.  I submitted my ptc 11/29/22.  Last week they said they didn't receive my fingerprints and I need to get them redone (I confirmed with identigo they were sent to state police the day I got them done) and today they told me I need to submit another reference and that I may have to pay the new fees to process my permit.   I already paid for everything when I submitted.    1st question is.  Wasn't there a 90 day period after I submitted my app where they had to provide the permit if I didn't agree to extend it?   The officer on the phone said due to the changes in December that the 90 days starts then.  Doesn't the fact that I submitted before the law change hold me to the old standard and start my 90 days when I submitted?  I told him I believed he was wrong and I'm coming here to hopefully get some info or be put in the right direction.   I've spoke w 3 people in my local pd and they all have given me conflicting answers.  I am going to the local pd to speak with the chief tuesday  Thank you for any help!

2 hours ago, BullzeyeNJ said:

Got mine in Wayne today. Submitted 12/18 but didnt give them the receipt of prints until 1/4/23. Pretty quick turnaround.

No way to know if Wayne is issuing a steady stream of permits, but it seems like they just pushed out a bunch all at once.

Got the call today to pick up my permit. Grand total of 146 days. I’m an out of state applicant  

10/8 Dropped off application, fingerprints, background check, references, pictures @ Woodstown NJSP

Radio silence until today, 3/3. 

It’s basically a slip of paper that they glue your photo to. You can fold it in half and laminate it.  Unbelievable how cheap it is, especially compared to my other permits. No mention of the guns I certified with on the slip of paper or any other restrictions. 

Edited by Vig

7 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Has anyone in NJ got the required liability insurance and if so where did you get it?

Nobody doesn't as the governor outlawed "murder insurance" via executive order.  It will be fought in court at some point.  It's not required until July 2023.

Probably a stupid question, but here goes.  When I got the permit, the PD laminated it for me.  The card is larger than would fit in my wallet, so I trimmed the excess laminate off, but got too close on the side so now I can pull it apart.  Do you think it would be ok to bring to staples or some place and have them re-laminate it over the original lamination, then I'll just get a separate holder just for the PTC card?

12 minutes ago, joeg said:

Probably a stupid question, but here goes.  When I got the permit, the PD laminated it for me.  The card is larger than would fit in my wallet, so I trimmed the excess laminate off, but got too close on the side so now I can pull it apart.  Do you think it would be ok to bring to staples or some place and have them re-laminate it over the original lamination, then I'll just get a separate holder just for the PTC card?

I don't know if laminating over a lamination will keep the permit as clearly readable as it is now.

There is no requirement that it be laminated.   It's probably pretty well protected the way it is, so leaving it alone is an option.  Still stupid and/or malicious that the state made them of a size that won't fit in wallets.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 10X said:

Do you think it would be ok to bring to staples or some place and have them re-laminate it over the original lamination, then I'll just get a separate holder just for the PTC card?

I "laminated" my original FID from 2009 with shipping tape and it still looks brand new. I did the same with my PTC. I trimmed it down as tight as possible and wrapped it in shipping tape. Fits in my wallet perfectly.

• Like 1