CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

1 hour ago, 45Doll said:

People with a court order can carry the court order.

If in fact I get a permit with No Restrictions checked (and no court order now) I'll have a copy of the statute with me. Just in case an officer is uninformed.

My permit has "No restrictions" and "See court order" both checked.

I was pulled over a couple of weeks ago. The State Trooper did the usual roadside interview questions - where are you coming from, where are you headed, etc. It came out that I had come from the Phillipsburg Pistol Club members meeting and was heading home (1/4 mile away). He eventually got around to asking if there were any guns in the car. 

Trooper: Do you shoot a lot?

Me: I run a match every month and I'm an instructor

Trooper: So do you have a lot of guns?

Me: What's "a lot"?

Trooper: So any guns in the car?

Me: Yes

Trooper: In the trunk?

Me: No, on my hip

Trooper: You have a permit?

Me: Yes, here (hands over permit)

Trooper: OK

There was no attempt to inspect the gun, did not ask for a copy of the court order, no twitchiness at all.

He let me go with a warning for the driving infraction. He did comment that I was his first encounter with a permit holder and I complimented him on being so chill with it. We shook hands and said goodnight.

ETA: My court order says I have to carry my permit. It does not say I have to carry the court order.

• Like 5
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, 45Doll said:

People with a court order can carry the court order.

If in fact I get a permit with No Restrictions checked (and no court order now) I'll have a copy of the statute with me. Just in case an officer is uninformed.

what statute?

NY resident here.  I sent an email to NJSP Firearms Investigating this morning asking for the status of my application.  They answered that they have received my application and it is awaiting approval/denial.  Next week will be 5 months since I applied at the Totowa NJSP.  I guess that's progress, but it would be helpful if they volunteered more information regarding their schedule. 

On 3/17/2023 at 3:01 PM, Alupnorth said:

NY resident here.  I sent an email to NJSP Firearms Investigating this morning asking for the status of my application.  They answered that they have received my application and it is awaiting approval/denial.  Next week will be 5 months since I applied at the Totowa NJSP.  I guess that's progress, but it would be helpful if they volunteered more information regarding their schedule. 

NY resident again.  I received an e-mail from the NJSP this afternoon informing me that my permit was ready for pickup.  I picked it up and the date of issue was 3/14/2023, valid for 2 years.  There were no restrictions on which handguns I can carry.  The permit is printed on a continuous page that folds over with my photo on the back.  There also was printed "Employee of armored car company".  I inquired about that and was told that it does not apply to me and that the box next it was not checked.  It also said "This card may be laminated".  The chronology follows:

Oct. 25, 2022   Applied at NJSP Totowa for PTC.
Jan. 17, 2023   Sent update request to Totowa SP, auto reply said I would be contacted by court or SP when permit is approved/denied.
March 17, 2023  Sent request to NJSP Firearminvestunit, reply same day said my application was received, pending approval/denial.
March 20, 2023  Received email from NJSP to come pickup the permit.

• Informative 1

On 3/20/2023 at 7:43 PM, Alupnorth said:

NY resident again.  I received an e-mail from the NJSP this afternoon informing me that my permit was ready for pickup.  I picked it up and the date of issue was 3/14/2023, valid for 2 years.  There were no restrictions on which handguns I can carry.  The permit is printed on a continuous page that folds over with my photo on the back.  There also was printed "Employee of armored car company".  I inquired about that and was told that it does not apply to me and that the box next it was not checked.  It also said "This card may be laminated".  The chronology follows:

Oct. 25, 2022   Applied at NJSP Totowa for PTC.
Jan. 17, 2023   Sent update request to Totowa SP, auto reply said I would be contacted by court or SP when permit is approved/denied.
March 17, 2023  Sent request to NJSP Firearminvestunit, reply same day said my application was received, pending approval/denial.
March 20, 2023  Received email from NJSP to come pickup the permit.

The email you sent on March 17, was that to Totowa or Trenton? 

1 hour ago, Regular Guy said:

The email you sent on March 17, was that to Totowa or Trenton? 

It was sent to West Trenton on 3/17:

Firearms Investigation Unit

P.O. Box 7068
West Trenton, New Jersey 08628-0068
[email protected] - FARS or Permit to Carry applications (NON- RPO)

However, they responded the same day that my application had been received and was pending approval/denial.  So it probably was an automatic reply.  I then received an email from NJSP Totowa in the afternoon of 3/20 telling me the permit was ready for pickup.  I drove there later that afternoon to pick up the permit.  The permit was dated 3/14/23.  So I don't have any indication that the email sent to W. Trenton had any effect.  Yes, I know, the chronology does not make sense, but that is what it is.  We can only hope that they get better organized, standardized, and make it possible for applicants to determine the actual status of their application.  FYI, I had applied at Totowa on 10/25/22. 

• Thanks 1

So I picked up my permit today. I applied Sept 7 of last year.  In January the IT department at my job upgraded the phones to VOIP and my office number was changed at that time.  My permit was ready last month on 2/23 (signed as issued on 2/19) and they called my old work number and I never got the message.  No restrictions on the permit and no specific firearms listed on it either.

• Like 2

Applied to Rutherford PD on 3/14/2023. References called  3/30.  Picked up my unrestricted permit today.  These boys are good.  Thanks so much for getting this done so fast.  3 weeks and 2 days...the way it should be.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

12 hours ago, CMJeepster said:

No, and the state doesn't either, allegedly.

They have to have a database.  What's stopping someone from printing out a permit and attaching a picture and fooling a cop, if they get stopped or pulled over?  It's not like the permits are unique in any way.

10 hours ago, joeg said:

They have to have a database.  What's stopping someone from printing out a permit and attaching a picture and fooling a cop, if they get stopped or pulled over?  It's not like the permits are unique in any way.

The permit has your SBI number on it.  That is pretty hard to fake.

10 hours ago, joeg said:

I was trying to find the NJ101.5 news article that was recently on air, but couldn't find it to back my statement up.  I will keep looking for it.

13 hours ago, Lorenzo said:

Hi all, has anyone recently been able to set up an appointment to drop off their application at the Totowa State police station?

I have tried everything I can think of and I can't get an appointment. 

Please let me know your experiences.

Are they responding and saying none available,  or just not responding at all?

If it's the latter,  rephrase your email to say you will be there to drop off at a certain time and to let you know if that is a problem. 

They are not responding at all.

I have sent several emails and even tried calling them.

Nobody responds, when I drove out there in person from NYC I was told the person that handles applications was not around and I should email them to set up an appointment. 

I did so and nothing.

I got a call from a detective from Wayne PD about a month ago, telling me my permit had been approved.  I took the call while I was in Newark Airport, getting ready to leave for Florida for a few weeks.  The detective was kind enough to call me back a couple of days ago to ask if I was going to pick up my permit.  Got back yesterday, and am now the proud holder of a NJ CCW permit, something I thought I would never be able to say in my lifetime.

In Florida, I'm able to carry every day, almost anywhere except bars and government buildings.  Back here in NJ I'm trying to sort through the morass of laws and exclusions on where I can carry without becoming a felon. 

10 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

I got a call from a detective from Wayne PD about a month ago, telling me my permit had been approved.  I took the call while I was in Newark Airport, getting ready to leave for Florida for a few weeks.  The detective was kind enough to call me back a couple of days ago to ask if I was going to pick up my permit.  Got back yesterday, and am now the proud holder of a NJ CCW permit, something I thought I would never be able to say in my lifetime.

In Florida, I'm able to carry every day, almost anywhere except bar and government buildings.  Back here in NJ I'm trying to sort through the morass of laws and exclusions on where I can carry without becoming a felon. 

Congratulations!

We maintain a current list of where you can carry and are somewhat real time up to date with whats going on with the court case in front of Judge Bumb.

https://www.news2a.com/nj-concealed-carry-faq/

2 hours ago, Lorenzo said:

They are not responding at all.

I have sent several emails and even tried calling them.

Nobody responds, when I drove out there in person from NYC I was told the person that handles applications was not around and I should email them to set up an appointment. 

I did so and nothing.

I too, am having no luck getting in touch with or making an appointment at the Totowa state trooper station. Any information someone could offer would be greatly appreciate it.

On 4/11/2023 at 6:28 PM, Lorenzo said:

Hi all, has anyone recently been able to set up an appointment to drop off their application at the Totowa State police station?

I have tried everything I can think of and I can't get an appointment. 

Please let me know your experiences.

I had set up an appointment on their prior web site in October, 2022 and received my CCW March 20, 2023.  But this is the latest web site I have seen:  https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdwFr6KPFa0X5B6FZI6aUnQUgtmYSlEhMtjNHPshklEY-T8pg/viewform

I hope that helped. 

6 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

fast question. with the challenges going on, what parts of their bs are on hold? we can still carry, correct? going to stores and whatnot? yes?

There is a good list about halfway down this page:

https://gunforhire.com/nj-ccw-permit/