CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

On 3/29/2023 at 7:28 PM, Regular Guy said:

So I picked up my permit today. I applied Sept 7 of last year.  In January the IT department at my job upgraded the phones to VOIP and my office number was changed at that time.  My permit was ready last month on 2/23 (signed as issued on 2/19) and they called my old work number and I never got the message.  No restrictions on the permit and no specific firearms listed on it either.

my permit also has no restrictions listed....doesn't even have a place for them. signed by the chief, has my info, and they used a glue stick to attach one of the pictures i hadda supply them with.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MB24 said:

whats the statute?

2C:58-4 Permits to carry handguns .

2C:58-4. a. Scope and duration of authority. Any person who holds a valid permit to carry a handgun issued pursuant to this section shall be authorized to carry a handgun in a holster concealed on their person in all parts of this State, except as prohibited by subsection e. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 and section 7 of P.L.2022, c.131 (C.2C:58-4.6). One permit shall be sufficient for all handguns owned by the holder thereof, but the permit shall apply only to a handgun carried by the actual and legal holder of the permit and, except as otherwise provided in subsection b. of section 6 of P.L.2022, c.131 (C.2C:58-4.5), shall not be construed to authorize a holder to carry a handgun openly, provided that a brief, incidental exposure of a handgun while transferring it to or from a holster or due to the shifting of the person's body position or clothing shall be deemed a de minimis infraction within the contemplation of N.J.S.2C:2-11.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, [email protected] said:

Exactly! So the earlier permits that list the carry weapon are still in force because its a court order! You are 100% correct!

But there are some like mine.  I have no court order the unrestricted box is checked but I have qualified firearms listed.  I was told that I am still good to carry any fire arm I own

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

2C:58-4. a. Scope and duration of authority. Any person who holds a valid permit to carry a handgun issued pursuant to this section shall be authorized to carry a handgun in a holster concealed on their person in all parts of this State, except as prohibited by subsection e. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 and section 7 of P.L.2022, c.131 (C.2C:58-4.6). One permit shall be sufficient for all handguns owned by the holder thereof, but the permit shall apply only to a handgun carried by the actual and legal holder of the permit and, except as otherwise provided in subsection b. of section 6 of P.L.2022, c.131 (C.2C:58-4.5), shall not be construed to authorize a holder to carry a handgun openly, provided that a brief, incidental exposure of a handgun while transferring it to or from a holster or due to the shifting of the person's body position or clothing shall be deemed a de minimis infraction within the contemplation of N.J.S.2C:2-11.

That magic phrase was in the old statute too. It is a shame that the courts decided to ignore it and write court orders restricting permit holders to specific handguns, even though they were only authorized to restrict to types of handgun.

I guess NJ judges just making stuff up and doing whatever they want is the norm.

13 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

That magic phrase was in the old statute too. It is a shame that the courts decided to ignore it and write court orders restricting permit holders to specific handguns, even though they were only authorized to restrict to types of handgun.

I guess NJ judges just making stuff up and doing whatever they want is the norm.

Indeed.

And now they're refusing to follow the directions IN THEIR OWN ORDERS to add additional firearms.

Court managers are rejecting requests and telling people to instead apply for a brand new permit.

Absurd...

Suburban Essex County:

Applied 4/5/23 -- Sgt handling the records was incredibly nice, cordial and professional.  Told me there was 5-6 apps in front of mine and i'd be "about a month, it can go as far as 90 days and be extended out to 120 days"

Fingerprints completed at IndentGO 4/7/23 , Sgt emailed be back 4/10/10 and told me they'd look for them. Nothing yet from my references and the money orders have yet to be cashed. 

On 4/21/2023 at 7:47 AM, 124gr9mm said:

thanks man. gonna print this and keep it with me permit

Sometime your local government works…got a call from my PD records department today.  I have an early permit that came with Morris County judge’s court order, specific gun and carry the order.  Our police chief would like to reissued my permit with no restrictions, just fill out the application again, two new photos and the consent for Mental Health check, no fingerprints, and drop it off…but wait…I asked what will this cost me…..no charge!!!! Sometimes you can’t make this up…..i jokingly asked if there was a lamination fee?

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ALAN553 said:

Sometime your local government works…got a call from my PD records department today.  I have an early permit that came with Morris County judge’s court order, specific gun and carry the order.  Our police chief would like to reissued my permit with no restrictions, just fill out the application again, two new photos and the consent for Mental Health check, no fingerprints, and drop it off…but wait…I asked what will this cost me…..no charge!!!! Sometimes you can’t make this up…..i jokingly asked if there was a lamination fee?

What town? i want to move there

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

Looking ahead, are we going to need to apply for our renewals 3-4 months before our current permits expire?

While that may be the case in some towns alot of towns are issuing carry permits in 3to4 weeks

35 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

Looking ahead, are we going to need to apply for our renewals 3-4 months before our current permits expire?

Would it really be considered a “renewal”?  From my understanding it’s a complete process the same as an initial. Again as I understand it other states renewals are streamlined not requiring the full process usually just the information sheet new pics and a reduced fee.  In New Jersey the “renewal”  fee is a 400% increase 

Waiting for 3 months for pistol purchase permit! Former LEO, clear record and have a CCP. This is unbelievable and all they tell you is they are backlogged. How long does it take to do a check on a person that's been fully checked out? This is with a fully staffed records bureau also!

On 5/20/2023 at 5:56 AM, oneshot said:

What town? i want to move there

Okay it worked, Montville Township, Chief asked residents to fill out new application and notarized, 2 more pictures….turn in “old” ID card and original court order, issued new permit with no restrictions  1 week turnaround time and……no charge!!!

3 hours ago, ALAN553 said:

Okay it worked, Montville Township, Chief asked residents to fill out new application and notarized, 2 more pictures….turn in “old” ID card and original court order, issued new permit with no restrictions  1 week turnaround time and……no charge!!!

I wish i still lived in Montville. The old Chief Richie cook  would turn around permits in a week. As a kid Montville was a republican/ conservative town and a great place to grow up . Good PD there and good for you !

9 hours ago, ALAN553 said:

Richie cooks signature is on my FID card….know him! 

He was on mine when i moved back to towaco, I went to school with him and his brother Jeff. Both nice people. Now im in Mine Hill

and the chief here is good with turn around for permits etc . No more then two weeks ever so far.

On 4/21/2023 at 7:47 AM, 124gr9mm said:

Thanks for finding this reg... i plan on qualifying w/ just my .38 revolver... can't hit too good w/ my little .380

1 hour ago, Frank Thomas said:

Thanks for finding this reg... i plan on qualifying w/ just my .38 revolver... can't hit too good w/ my little .380

If you can't hit to good with your 380 than you shouldn't carry it until you can.  I have a ruger lc380 and had no issues qualifying with it.  Just because the las says you 9nly need to qualify with one dosnt mean you shouldn't be proficient with any fire arm you intend to carry.

Remember qualifying is under perfect conditions with no one is a threat.  Only a select few people know how they will react to a threat so it is better to be the best prepared you can as when it comes to it you may be lucky if one hits your intended target under duress

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

38 minutes ago, Vdep217 said:

If you can't hit to good with your 380 than you shouldn't carry it until you can.  I have a ruger lc380 and had no issues qualifying with it.  Just because the las says you 9nly need to qualify with one dosnt mean you shouldn't be proficient with any fire arm you intend to carry.

I barely qualified with LCP Max. 48/60 but hit a 58/60 with the Hellcat. Some guns just aren't designed to hit 25 or 15 yards accurately. Rules of 3 makes me think they'll be just dandy. A very high standard to apply to people who just want to practice their 2A. I say if they like that firearm, it works great for concealment then by all means they should be able to carry whatever without judgement.

2 hours ago, Frank Thomas said:

23 minutes ago, Malaka said:

I barely qualified with LCP Max. 48/60 but hit a 58/60 with the Hellcat. Some guns just aren't designed to hit 25 or 15 yards accurately. Rules of 3 makes me think they'll be just dandy. A very high standard to apply to people who just want to practice their 2A. I say if they like that firearm, it works great for concealment then by all means they should be able to carry whatever without judgement.

Regardless of what the government wants, why would you want to carry a gun that you can't shoot accurately?

The purpose is to be able to hit the aggressor in order to make them discontinue their attack - either through making it too painful for them to continue, or physically unable to continue. Missing your target is not effective at either of those things and endangers anyone else in the area. It just doesn't make sense.

There are very few handguns that are mechanically unable to shoot an 12" wide group at 25 yards - that's works out to be over 48moa! Seriously, it is not the gun.

Edited after measuring a Q target. The milk bottle is 12" wide, not 18".

Edited by Mr.Stu
Corrected after measuring a Q target
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Mr.Stu said:

Regardless of what the government wants, why would you want to carry a gun that you can't shoot accurately?

The purpose is to be able to hit the aggressor in order to make them discontinue their attack - either through making it too painful for them to continue, or physically unable to continue. Missing your target is not effective at either of those things and endangers anyone else in the area. It just doesn't make sense.

There are very few handguns that are mechanically unable to shoot an 12" wide group at 25 yards - that's works out to be over 48moa! Seriously, it is not the gun.

Edited after measuring a Q target. The milk bottle is 12" wide, not 18".

I do alot of shooting and have introduced many to the sport.  Friends are interested in a carry permit and ask what is the best gun to carry.

My response is always tge one you shoot the best.  If you shoot a full sized 1911 best than carry that.  Get the right holster for you and it is easily concealable even in lighter clothing.

25 yrds ruger lc380 6rnds change mag 5 rnds.

Screenshot_20230609_101731_Gallery.jpg