CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

1 hour ago, galapoola said:

Just picked it up. Never thought this day would happen in NJ.

Capture.JPG

congrats. aside from the same question of what court orders did you get, can you give us an idea for where there at by permit number? maybe above or below 150/200?

7 minutes ago, codyp said:

congrats. aside from the same question of what court orders did you get, can you give us an idea for where there at by permit number? maybe above or below 150/200?

7 minutes ago, codyp said:

Mine is low 100's. Look at the picture, backside, the court checked "none"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, galapoola said:

Mine is low 100's. Look at the picture, backside, the court checked "none"

so no court order at all? all the previous OC permits had none checked but still received the court orders. Also, every other permit holder has received some form of court order thus far. So you should have received something even if it doesnt have restrictions listed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hunterdon County update:

My court order says that my permit is limited to the list of handguns that I submitted quals for - they are listed in the court order. It also said to add more I just needed to notify them of the make, model and serial numbers of the guns and send quals for them. The guy I use agreed to an abbreviated qualification course to save time and ammo as I had already proven safe handling in the full course previously. I emailed a letter to the court this afternoon and they have accepted it already. They will be sending me a receipted copy of the letter as proof.

I can now possess any of the handguns I own.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, samiam said:

If by "confirmed" you mean that someone has posted that they used family members and subsequently were granted their permit, I am not aware of any. OTOH, several people did post some time ago that they planned to use family members, and I've seen no indications that anyone has been rejected for it, at least at the PD level. The statute does not prohibit the practice, and afaik neither does the A. C. or any of the published guidelines. If bearing a firearm was something that was legitimately a state-granted privilege that we should need to qualify for, and part of that qualification was providing references to attest to our good character, I would consider using family as "bad form", but this is a fundamental, constitutionally guaranteed, civil right that the state of NJ is looking for any excuse to deprive us of, so anything that makes navigating the process easier is more than justified. 

I just don't have too many friends who are 2A friendly, but plenty family members who are.

8/1 1800hrs, drop off packet to NJSP Barracks, Hamilton, Mercer Co. Troopers were polite but not familiar with the process. FIU gone for the day. 

8/2 0915hrs, called Barracks' FIU to get Case number and Identogo Service Code since Troopers on 8/1 had no clue what I was talking about. Trooper confirmed my packet was complete. Trooper was polite, but could not or would not give me answers to the process or timeline beside he does his thing then sends it to Trenton. 

8/6 1100hrs, fingerprints completed.

Crickets.... references not contacted.

10/6 1155hrs, called Barracks, computer hung up on me. 1156hrs, called again, sent to FIU Sgt's VM. Left message.

10/6 1400hrs, sent email to NJSP HQ FIU. 

10/6 1540hrs (as I type this post), email response from Trenton saying they have no record of my application. Provided me an email address to use to contact the Barracks. 

• Sad 1
  • FacePalm 3

37 minutes ago, galapoola said:

Ocean County, Toms River, restrictions: none

This is really important lol there are literally lawyers fighting the ocean county court order restrictions as we speak, but you're saying that you did not get restrictions on your court order? Can you please send a picture of the court order you received? The judge gives a court order with every single permit that she issues, even before she started adding the restrictions she gave a generic court order that just said the permit is issued, what you qualified with, etc. Can you please show us the court order? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Liverandonions1 said:

This is really important lol there are literally lawyers fighting the ocean county court order restrictions as we speak, but you're saying that you did not get restrictions on your court order? Can you please send a picture of the court order you received? The judge gives a court order with every single permit that she issues, even before she started adding the restrictions she gave a generic court order that just said the permit is issued, what you qualified with, etc. Can you please show us the court order? 

I concur, considering the recent chaos, 107 pages and almost 4,000 replies on the subject, amd Ocean County being the frontrunner for extreme restrictions, a detailed explanation of what exactly mr @galapoola has received and his timeline would be extremely appreciated.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, galapoola said:

Ocean County, Toms River, restrictions: none

We have also seen PD's in Ocean county forget to handout the court order when they have you pick up the permit. We are just trying to verify if you received a court order or not. If you didn't it is likely a mistake and the PD will probably reach out to have you get it. If you did receive an order, if it includes the restrictions or not on it is very relevant for if progress has been made, or not, on newly issued permits.

If you did receive an order, but you do not want to post a copy here, please at least send a copy to ANJRPC's [email protected] email address which will go to the lawyers working to get these restrictions removed. They want copies of court orders issued after Sept 23rd. Since your permit was issued the Sept 27th, whatever you received would be very helpful to them.

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, samiam said:

If the court issued an order along with the permit, then mandated the PD as its courier to deliver said permit and order to applicant, and that courier failed to deliver the order along with the permut, can any criminal liability for failing to follow the order be assigned to the applicant? 

Thats a total unknown for me. If the PD didn't give it to him yet I'm not sure how he would be bound by it, however he is also active in this thread talking about the ocean county court orders and the subsequent restrictions being added to them so I don't think he could argue he didn't even know it was likely his permit had those same restrictions. Especially since we know Ocean always was issuing a court order even when it didn't have restrictions listed, getting a court order with your permit in Ocean county should be expected so it missing should be obvious that something was not given to you by the PD.

28 minutes ago, samiam said:

That is beyond unacceptable conduct on the part of NJSP Hamilton. You should get Strike Force involved with this immediately!!! Woodbine station is a 10 minute drive for me. I have paid them two in-person visits so far, and, in addition to contacting Strike Force, I plan another visit when my 60 days is exceeded on Monday. I submitted on 8/9, my money order remains uncashed, and no references have been contacted. Care to share the email for Hamilton? It is possible that there is a pattern to it that could be extrapolated to determine email addresses for the other NJSP stations. While face-to-face interaction is satisfying, I would also very much like to have a record of conversations with Woodbine personnel beyond hand-written notes that I assert to be accurate. Thanks.

ADDED: NM, I found the directory for station firearms email addresses:

NJSP Firearms Application & Registration System (FARS) ORI List

I'm going to give Hamilton a day or two to respond before I email the Strike Force. At this immediate point in time, I think an email to them would be premature, without the response or lack of one, from Hamilton being included. 

1 hour ago, kc17 said:

8/1 1800hrs, drop off packet to NJSP Barracks, Hamilton, Mercer Co. Troopers were polite but not familiar with the process. FIU gone for the day. 

8/2 0915hrs, called Barracks' FIU to get Case number and Identogo Service Code since Troopers on 8/1 had no clue what I was talking about. Trooper confirmed my packet was complete. Trooper was polite, but could not or would not give me answers to the process or timeline beside he does his thing then sends it to Trenton. 

8/6 1100hrs, fingerprints completed.

Crickets.... references not contacted.

10/6 1155hrs, called Barracks, computer hung up on me. 1156hrs, called again, sent to FIU Sgt's VM. Left message.

10/6 1400hrs, sent email to NJSP HQ FIU. 

10/6 1540hrs (as I type this post), email response from Trenton saying they have no record of my application. Provided me an email address to use to contact the Barracks. 

At least they are responding to your emails I sent them an email last Friday to the email address [email protected] and I still haven't received a response. I just checked my spam folder as well to be sure.... Is that the email you contacted them at? Also what email address did they reply from?

Thanks

1 hour ago, vorfix said:

Thats a total unknown for me. If the PD didn't give it to him yet I'm not sure how he would be bound by it, however he is also active in this thread talking about the ocean county court orders and the subsequent restrictions being added to them so I don't think he could argue he didn't even know it was likely his permit had those same restrictions. Especially since we know Ocean always was issuing a court order even when it didn't have restrictions listed, getting a court order with your permit in Ocean county should be expected so it missing should be obvious that something was not given to you by the PD.

Does permit mention an order?

if so I would say it is permittee’s duty to track down the order 

IIRC statute does not mention an order. But if there is an order and the permittee  is on notice of I think the permittee violates the order at permittee’s risk. 

1 minute ago, Bushmaster1313 said:

Does permit mention an order?

if so I would say it is permitee’s duty to track down the order 

None of the permits mention an order, but they still comes with an order with restrictions. This is still legally binding because its a court order issued to an individual by a judge. 

59 minutes ago, nooch450 said:

At least they are responding to your emails I sent them an email last Friday to the email address [email protected] and I still haven't received a response. I just checked my spam folder as well to be sure.... Is that the email you contacted them at? Also what email address did they reply from?

Thanks

Yes, sent to and replied from [email protected]

3 minutes ago, samiam said:

Maybe there are certain email domains that they won't reply to, or that their cybersecurity vendor may have classified as a possible source of spam or malware. Some of those security vendors (ahem, Cloudflare) use a very broad brush when identifying potential threats. 

I think you meant to respond to @nooch450

I agree, the NJSP.org server could be blocking the email domain that he is using. I have a private domain name which I use, gmail likes to block emails from that domain from time to time.