CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

Just now, pjd832 said:

Scroll back through all the posts where people posted their court orders said only firearms listed can be carried..and said person was to have court order and permit on them when carrying…not saying it’s right or legal..but until it’s challenged and shot down it’s “the rules”…. Would hate to be the first one that civilly disobeyed and gets hemmed up…nj coffers are deeper than most average joes bank account for court processes 

No Restrictions/Restrictions/ see court order....

There are 3 boxes. If no restrictions is checked, you dont have a court order

1 minute ago, Mike77 said:

I agree with the statement and there were at least one I saw that had no restriction checked but accompanying court order with restrictions including letter must be carried

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Downtownv said:

Ocean.

You can try emailing that Kimberly person someone posted their email. She gave me my docket number. 
Based on when the you said the judge got it /court got it going to say you're either low 400s or high 300s and 
they are only around 150 so you're probably looking at 3-4 more months at the rate these fools are moving. 

State doens't give a shit about your rights and you'll get them when they are ready. Take the NICS check when buying a gun the delay is about a week now and they are over 2k in the backlog. Whats the I in nics stead for again Idiots, incompetence or imbeciles?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Mike77 said:

While I agree with the simple logic here,  I feel this is a dangerous game to play with your rights. 

For example, if you reside in Ocean county, and you're pulled over in Ocean county, and the officer is keen to the fact that every single ptc had been issued with an attached court order to some degree, and you play dumb... you can find yourself in some serious hot water.

We are talking about court orders issued by a superior court Judge, that may seem unconstitutional  but they are lawful orders under current nj statute.

While I don't agree with any of the orders or restrictions, we know what law enforcement and the courts are capable of in this state, and they are not on your side. 

The term "law abiding gun owner" goes out the window when you pretend your court order doesn't exist. 

Careful out there. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, chrisfc923 said:

and where in the process are you? have you gotten a response from your county prosecutors office?

My application was turned in 7/12. Fingerprinted 7/13. My application sent to court in 8/23. Talked to the court on the phone on 9/2. My application was being processed. Crickets ever since. Money order was cashed 9/20

20 hours ago, ATFspymen said:

Picked up my permit from Union County from my local PD.

No restrictions is checked only thing is my handgun model and serial# is printed on the card.

My PD mailed it over and was recived the by the courts on Aug 22nd they approved on 9/30 and sat for a few days till last Thursday when one of the probabtion officers mailed out a batch of them.

Took a little longer than I wished but still pretty painless after getting all the documentation filled out. No resistance from my local PD.

Which PD?

9 minutes ago, Lucky Lefty said:

While I agree with the simple logic here,  I feel this is a dangerous game to play with your rights. 

For example, if you reside in Ocean county, and you're pulled over in Ocean county, and the officer is keen to the fact that every single ptc had been issued with an attached court order to some degree, and you play dumb... you can find yourself in some serious hot water.

We are talking about court orders issued by a superior court Judge, that may seem unconstitutional  but they are lawful orders under current nj statute.

While I don't agree with any of the orders or restrictions, we know what law enforcement and the courts are capable of in this state, and they are not on your side. 

The term "law abiding gun owner" goes out the window when you pretend your court order doesn't exist. 

Careful out there. 

This is my point whether it’s constitutional or not, the orders in place are what will be enforced ….potential charges would have to be fought in court… at one’s own expense as we know gun owners are always guilty first in nj…..hoping that the rights groups get all the nonsense dropped quickly for you guys before someone get jammed up by their onerous bs

and I was sure that it was more than just ocean county that were requiring the orders being carried … but following this on 4 different forums so perhaps I’ve seen those letters on other forums … 

20 hours ago, ATFspymen said:

Picked up my permit from Union County from my local PD.

No restrictions is checked only thing is my handgun model and serial# is printed on the card.

My PD mailed it over and was recived the by the courts on Aug 22nd they approved on 9/30 and sat for a few days till last Thursday when one of the probabtion officers mailed out a batch of them.

Took a little longer than I wished but still pretty painless after getting all the documentation filled out. No resistance from my local PD.

No accompanying letter/court orders?

18 minutes ago, Lucky Lefty said:

NJ has no duty to inform. Conceal correctly and whats the issue? I sure as hell wont be offering any info that is not needed. I do have something most don't that will pretty much ensure there is no reason for further inspection should in the very rare chance im ever pulled over. On the few times Im ever stopped I always include my police ID (not a cop, just work at a PD) and every time more or less that normally ends the traffic stop. Fair? Nope but lol neither is life. I haven''t seen a ticket in years after working here. 

Besides new judge going forward and pretty sure he wont be doing the same as the gopher plant was doing. 

4 minutes ago, IhateNJ said:

NJ has no duty to inform. Conceal correctly and whats the issue? I sure as hell wont be offering any info that is not needed. I do have something most don't that will pretty much ensure there is no reason for further inspection should in the very rare chance im ever pulled over. On the few times Im ever stopped I always include my police ID (not a cop, just work at a PD) and every time more or less that normally ends the traffic stop. Fair? Nope but lol neither is life. I haven''t seen a ticket in years after working here. 

Besides new judge going forward and pretty sure he wont be doing the same as the gopher plant was doing. 

That makes you an outlier. An exception to the rule.

However, while you have no duty to inform, the cop can ask "do you have any weapons/firearms in the vehicle?".

Happy to hear you have a get out of jail free card due to employment.. but even cops get arrested by other cops for ridiculous reasons, and your position and experience does not help 99% of the average Joes out here under far more scrutiny.

Good luck in your travels my friend.

• Agree 2

This is what I’m up to

Jackson Twp. Ocean County

I got my contributor case number before I filled out my application 

7/27/22  Fingerprinted in Philadelphia 

8/21/22 Qualified at Shore Shot

9/1/22 Dropped off packet Jackson PD

10/12/22  References called….

15 hours ago, pjd832 said:

I agree with the statement and there were at least one I saw that had no restriction checked but accompanying court order with restrictions including letter must be carried

Yes mine is like that.

Spoke to attorney and he said carry the order just in case and act as if it’s restricted to the gun even though he thinks I’m clear to carry any gun. I will clarify if digital or reduced size copy is ok. Quals are $25 each so dealing with this particular infringement is relatively cheap for now. 

Two police departments have told me they don’t ask for the order in traffic stops. I will do what the officer says. I openly carry when I drive so I’m stuck with informing them. I keep a copy of the order in my glove box.

If anyone here in Middlesex County who is either at 90 days or past 90 days including at the court level, have had their money orders cashed, and is interested in taking legal action against the Middlesex County please PM me. Maybe we could brainstorm and come up with something together. If Strikeforce won't lift a finger to help we will have to do it ourselves..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, RadioGunner said:

Yes mine is like that.

Spoke to attorney and he said carry the order just in case and act as if it’s restricted to the gun even though he thinks I’m clear to carry any gun. I will clarify if digital or reduced size copy is ok. Quals are $25 each so dealing with this particular infringement is relatively cheap for now. 

Two police departments have told me they don’t ask for the order in traffic stops. I will do what the officer says. I openly carry when I drive so I’m stuck with informing them. I keep a copy of the order in my glove box.

What county are you in?

21 minutes ago, marlintag said:

If anyone here in Middlesex County who is either at 90 days or past 90 days including at the court level, have had their money orders cashed, and is interested in taking legal action against the Middlesex County please PM me. Maybe we could brainstorm and come up with something together. If Strikeforce won't lift a finger to help we will have to do it ourselves..

Just be sure to do it correctly. If you file an action and it fails you will be establishing bad precedent forever. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Bushmaster1313 said:

Just be sure to do it correctly. If you file an action and it fails you will be establishing bad precedent forever. 

Or we can sit and do nothing...... I don't think there is a right or wrong in this situation, our apps can languish at the court level for months maybe even years who knows! 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, samiam said:

I completely agree. I appreciate the work (most of) the 2A advocacy organizations do, but there seems to be a troubling lack of communication from them to us since Bruen. I know they are very busy planning the most effective responses, but they also need to take a little time to inform us of what they are doing, and what they would like us to do, or refrain from doing, in the meantime. "Just send more money" and silence beyind that is not a sufficient dialog. That's pretty much how the NRA left most of us behind, and lost quite a few supporters (including me). If they don't want us to begin taking matters into our own hands as we see fit, they need to tell us what's going on, right now. 

There is a lot going on but it’s on the down low. It can’t be shouted from the rooftops or you lose your tactical advantage. Simple as that. You’re of course more than welcome to do your own efforts like Factor and Cheeseman did. 

On 10/13/2022 at 9:38 AM, Lucky Lefty said:

However, while you have no duty to inform, the cop can ask "do you have any weapons/firearms in the vehicle?".

And you have the right not to answer. :coffee:

On 10/13/2022 at 9:38 AM, Lucky Lefty said:

. but even cops get arrested by other cops for ridiculous reasons, 

And when they do they clam up tight and call their attorney.

If fact, I believe some departments have it in their contract stipulating they cannot be formally questioned for 24 hours after an officer involved shooting.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bomber said:

And you have the right not to answer. :coffee:

And when they do they clam up tight and call their attorney.

If fact, I believe some departments have it in their contract stipulating they cannot be formally questioned for 24 hours after an office involved shooting.  

I agree. 

I am curious if the officer while be informed you are a permit to carry holder by running your information, and if they do have that information is that reasonable suspicion to believe there is a firearm in the vehicle. Which then gives them the right to search you and your vehicle? Sincere question.

If the answer is yes, then they can further scrutinize the court order etc.

Of course this can be fought, and you may win. Most of us want to avoid the circus of being arrested, property being confiscated, and absurd legal cost for the battle in court.

I may be incorrect, but I'm pretty sure Mr Nappen informed the crowd at the last US Law Shield meeting that the officer has a right to search you if they have reasonable suspicion to believe there is a firearm in the vehicle, which is why he told us to never transport your firearms in a gun case.

Again, in reply to my original comment and @Bomber's response, in retrospect the correct way to handle any traffic stop is "I do not answer questions".

11 minutes ago, Lucky Lefty said:

…I may be incorrect, but I'm pretty sure Mr Nappen informed the crowd at the last US Law Shield meeting that the officer has a right to search you if they have reasonable suspicion ……..which is why he told us to never transport your firearms in a gun case…..

…. Sooo what is recommended then… a cloth diaper bag? In that scenario If a vehicle is bein searched…. Everything is opened and or handled.. not just overt gun cases….

1 minute ago, pjd832 said:

…. Sooo what is recommended then… a cloth diaper bag? In that scenario If a vehicle is bein searched…. Everything is opened and or handled.. not just overt gun cases….

He recommended transporting your firearms in a briefcase, or bookbag, or musical instrument case.. anything other than what appeared to be a gun case.

In thinking about this discussion, and I apologize for veering off track of the permit application experience that this thread is supposed to be, but I can't help buy feel like I'm being over dramatic in thinking that cops are going to look for every way to screw you over and find you in violation of some firearm law or court ordered restriction to arrest you and take away your 2a right... but that has been the status quo in this state and many people have had their lives ruined over "illegal possession of a firearm" in NJ, even they whole heartedly believed and thought they were doing everything to follow the law.

To further clarify my question @pjd832, I'm asking that if the cop is somehow privy to your PTC, is that considered reasonable suspicion to search your vehicle if they believe you also have one of these court orders with some kind of restriction they believe you are violating. Whether its an "unqualified gun" or you happen to have an ocean county permit with the "no carry in or on any motor vehicle". Just as if they pull you over and see a box of ammo on the floor near the backseat that you forgot was there, or a spent casing you somehow dropped on the backseat, or  many other things that have always given them reasonable suspicion to believe a firearm is in the car and search your vehicle.

I'm really trying to not be a nervous Nancy here, and again I'd love to give LEOs the benefit of the doubt that they won't bust chops on a legal PTC holder... the actions of NJ law enforcement makes me paranoid I suppose.

36 minutes ago, Lucky Lefty said:

I am curious if the officer while be informed you are a permit to carry holder by running your information, and if they do have that information is that reasonable suspicion to believe there is a firearm in the vehicle. Which then gives them the right to search you and your vehicle? Sincere question.

Not a lawyer but reasonable suspicion is that a crime has been committed.  Possession with a permit is not a crime so no reasonable suspicion.