CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

7 hours ago, PEACEFROG said:

Update: - Monmouth County 

8/22 Submit to PD

9/16 Ref's called

9/27 Ok'd by Chief sent to Courts

10/12 Prosecutor Letter received stating no issues

12/13 Court letter received stating CCW approved n to contact Local PD for pickup 

12/21 Appt for pickup 

CCW  - No Restrictions,No court order

See Below Box checked  with the following:

Restricted from carrying in any place prohibited by Federal, State, or local law and shall comply with the provisions of NJSA 2C:39-6(g)

121 days ///. 62 days in court

Do you have an idea when your money order was cashed? I applied Aug 2nd. Money order was cashed in the last couple of days. No letters from the Prosecutor or Court. I'm also in Monmouth County, went through NJSP in Hamilton. 

• Like 1

Update: - Monmouth County 

8/22 Submit to PD

9/16 Ref's called

9/27 Ok'd by Chief sent to Courts

10/12 Prosecutor Letter received stating no issues

12/13 Court letter received stating CCW approved n to contact Local PD for pickup 

12/21 Appt for pickup 

CCW  - No Restrictions,No court order

See Below Box checked  with the following:

Restricted from carrying in any place prohibited by Federal, State, or local law and shall comply with the provisions of NJSA 2C:39-6(g)

121 days ///. 62 days in court

Oct 6 Money Order cashed

• Like 1
  • Informative 1
  • FacePalm 1

32 minutes ago, PEACEFROG said:

Does anybody have any idea what this is supposed to mean? 

2C:39-6(g) is as follows:

g.   Any weapon being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

This has absolutely nothing to do with carrying with a permit. 2C:39-6 only applies when you do not have a permit and are relying on the exemptions.

• Informative 1

finally took my stuff down to my pd today. i didn't get the clerks name, but she was super helpful and very nice. she looked over all of my paperwork, and found a couple things i missed, so i feel she saved me a boatload of time. i'd forgotten to bring my birth cert, and proof of ownership for one of my pistols.  she actually took the time to pull my file(i find the fact that there's a file on me a little unsettling) and looked for their copy of the p2p for that one....which wasn't there. shame on freedom ammo for apparently not sending it. i also didn't have my dl with me as i was in work clothes. she offered me the option to fax them back over to them. i live 6 minutes from the pd, so i ran home, got the certificate and p2p for her, then fax'd my dl from work. overall she made it really comfortable(as comfortable as it can be when ya gotta ask permission to exercise a right) and easy. was my first time dealing with this particular clerk.

on a side note, one of the clerks that i had dealt with in the past came over and asked me about mom. for context, when mom found out that someone i'd grown up with was chief, she used to go over there with olllllllllld pictures from when we were all kids. she'd start off showing them and talking about them to this particular clerk, then next she knew chief was out there too. all laughing at how goofy we all were.

anyway, she was a little upset to hear about mom, and wished her well.

'nother side note.....who's the judge in camden county that's signing these?

9 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

finally took my stuff down to my pd today. i didn't get the clerks name, but she was super helpful and very nice. she looked over all of my paperwork, and found a couple things i missed, so i feel she saved me a boatload of time. i'd forgotten to bring my birth cert, and proof of ownership for one of my pistols.  she actually took the time to pull my file(i find the fact that there's a file on me a little unsettling) and looked for their copy of the p2p for that one....which wasn't there. shame on freedom ammo for apparently not sending it. i also didn't have my dl with me as i was in work clothes. she offered me the option to fax them back over to them. i live 6 minutes from the pd, so i ran home, got the certificate and p2p for her, then fax'd my dl from work. overall she made it really comfortable(as comfortable as it can be when ya gotta ask permission to exercise a right) and easy. was my first time dealing with this particular clerk.

on a side note, one of the clerks that i had dealt with in the past came over and asked me about mom. for context, when mom found out that someone i'd grown up with was chief, she used to go over there with olllllllllld pictures from when we were all kids. she'd start off showing them and talking about them to this particular clerk, then next she knew chief was out there too. all laughing at how goofy we all were.

anyway, she was a little upset to hear about mom, and wished her well.

'nother side note.....who's the judge in camden county that's signing these?

From what I understand from "Smurfy's Law", the courts are longer involved in the process. It's all about your local CLEO now.

7 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

From what I understand from "Smurfy's Law", the courts are longer involved in the process. It's all about your local CLEO now.

oohh! that could be a good thing.

although the clerk did tell me it gets sent to the court through usps

10 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Is your CLEO an anti 2A?

i dunno. i've only met him once, a year or so ago when he took over the position from chief brennen. he seemed like a pretty cool and straightforward guy, so i guess we'll see. i know one of the three clerks is against this....but the other two, including the one that used to chat with mom all the time are good with this stuff

Rhetorical question since we are dealing with NJ, but how is it even remotely constitutional to require applicants to provide references in order to exercise a constitutional right?  Try to imagine requiring people to provide references in order to register to vote, or to obtain a driver's license, which isn't a constitutional right. This is in addition to the fees an applicant has to pay, which are akin to a paying a "poll tax" in order to vote, which was deemed unconstitutional.   This entire process is obviously designed to create as much friction as possible to discourage law abiding citizens from obtaining carry permits.

• Agree 6

10 hours ago, Bzerk said:

The way I read this was any applications currently in the court system, the court will still process, but they will not take new ones in. So someone's application not yet in the court system, would be approved quicker than someone else's in the court. They should just auto-approve any at the court level. Hopefully most Judges will basically do that anyway. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, kc17 said:

The way I read this was any applications currently in the court system, the court will still process, but they will not take new ones in. So someone's application not yet in the court system, would be approved quicker than someone else's in the court. They should just auto-approve any at the court level. Hopefully most Judges will basically do that anyway. 

From your lips to God's ears.  I've been holding off applying for a number of reasons, including the clarification of the process.  This might encourage me to apply after the New Year.

4 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

From your lips to God's ears.  I've been holding off applying for a number of reasons, including the clarification of the process.  This might encourage me to apply after the New Year.

But now it's going to cost you more money and you need to achieve a higher bar.

• Agree 1

On 12/20/2022 at 11:59 AM, xXxplosive said:

So what's your range......GFH.....guy's been the biggest self promoter for decades.....Ha....Had a CCL when no one could get one and not former LE only connected to whoever....grade A Blowhard, IMO.

I worked for him for Anthony Colandro for a time. Great guy, treats everyone like family! I doubt anyone else has the stones he has, could walk the path he has and endure the arrows and threats he's had to face. Not to mention the overhead, payroll, insurances, personalities, standards, and compliance...

He has been an advocate for all of us, beyond what we can comprehend, and has been the face and voice of opposition in Trenton and DC, when 99.9% of NJ gun owners don't even show up.

I disparage no one or their opinions, but try not to judge since I can never know the full story.

Just my 2 cents, not picking a fight.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

So sharing my buddies experience that’s applied as a non resident but not a member here….his timeline 

7/30 took class/qual

8/9 fingerprinted in willow grove pa

8/15 dropped off app in entirety at Woodstown State Police barracks

9/27 2 references called

9/28 final reference called (reference said he had no missed calls)

10/20 sent email to Woodstown barracks asking about status was told it was sent to the salem county superior court the previous week

11/2 money order cashed 

11/12 recieved letter with court date for 12/14 he contacted the judges secretary to request a zoom hearing as he was away for work. 3 days later recieved word they would allow it and would send a link the Monday before hearing

12/14 had zoom hearing with 1 other person on zoom with judge Linda lawhun (he said it was a commercial airline pilot in uniform) they ran through all the people in person first said there was over 20 with 3 females and then did him and the pilot…. All the basic questions.. verified name and address and answers to questions didn’t change since application was made told them they they would need to carry the permit and orders whenever they are carrying…and that if one were to become a prohibited person they are supposed to surrender to issuing agency verified the weapon qualified with and if you passed and are trained in safe handling/etc of this weapon. Handed the signed court orders to those in person and would mail to the zoom people… and that the agency applied with would contact and arraingement issuance/pickup of actual permit

12/22 recieved 4 page court order which he said said permit issua date is 12/14/22 and expiration date will be 12/14/24 and quotes lots of 2c codes  he said the cover letter said “the state police will be contacting him to come and sign and pick up the actual permit but will probably be 3-4 weeks because they are very busy” so he’s getting cut 1-2 months out of the 24 month useless permit lmao

8 hours ago, KayFabe said:

Rhetorical question since we are dealing with NJ, but how is it even remotely constitutional to require applicants to provide references in order to exercise a constitutional right?  Try to imagine requiring people to provide references in order to register to vote, or to obtain a driver's license, which isn't a constitutional right. This is in addition to the fees an applicant has to pay, which are akin to a paying a "poll tax" in order to vote, which was deemed unconstitutional.   This entire process is obviously designed to create as much friction as possible to discourage law abiding citizens from obtaining carry permits.

I agree totally.  Needing 4 people NOT related to you to vouch for you is BS. Also are the people you use goi g to be held liable??

I used 3 of my family members( before the “NEW” bill). My wife knows me 35 yrs.the others 24& 21 yrs.  Who knows you better than your own family?? 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Bobby69 said:

I agree totally.  Needing 4 people NOT related to you to vouch for you is BS. Also are the people you use goi g to be held liable??

I used 3 of my family members( before the “NEW” bill). My wife knows me 35 yrs.the others 24& 21 yrs.  Who knows you better than your own family?? 

don't forget that they have to be interviewed by the police now.

On 12/23/2022 at 1:45 PM, 1LtCAP said:

In person or via phone? Not that the latter is ok…just would be an even more blatant “we are going to make up whatever bs requirement to try and keep you from exercising your right..and there’s noting you can do..now kneel and kiss the ring”

On 12/23/2022 at 1:45 PM, 1LtCAP said:

That should be fun for out of state references. Plus as you get older friends & colleagues die so that’s another factor. Those people that signed today might not be here 2 years from now.  As of today I’ve only been waiting 163 days, or 23 weeks and 2 days,, or better yet 44.66% of 2022. What a shit show.

On 12/23/2022 at 11:33 AM, Blairsden said:

I worked for him for Anthony Colandro for a time. Great guy, treats everyone like family! I doubt anyone else has the stones he has, could walk the path he has and endure the arrows and threats he's had to face. Not to mention the overhead, payroll, insurances, personalities, standards, and compliance...

He has been an advocate for all of us, beyond what we can comprehend, and has been the face and voice of opposition in Trenton and DC, when 99.9% of NJ gun owners don't even show up.

I disparage no one or their opinions, but try not to judge since I can never know the full story.

Just my 2 cents, not picking a fight.

I met Anthony well before he had this large business, way back at the bullet hole. This guy has been fighting for us for over 20 years, and providing gunnowners with tons of options in a state that hates us.. I will never knock on that guy just because he runs a successful business or had a carrypermit when others didnt.. He doesn't fear monger to get money, you can choose to patronize him or not. Imagine a guy gets his carry permit, and still fights for everyone else to get theirs.... not sure where the complaint is in that.

• Like 1