CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

14 hours ago, SoccerFan said:

Speaking of the recently updated SP-642 how freaking hard is it to make a one page one sided form without it having any glaring mistakes? If I did my job like this I think I would be quickly terminated.

Box 13 doesn't allow enough characters for anything but a very short email address.

In the endorsement section acquainted is misspelled four times - presumably they got it wrong the first time and cut and pasted it three more times.

In the endorsement section there is an additional line, setup as a text field, in the address section that isn't labeled and serves apparently no purpose.

Hey but at least the people endorsing you can have email addresses on services like optonline or comcast instead of aol.

It's the government.  They fuck things up.

So if anyone's permits where at the courts before the law changed on Dec 22, 2022, you should be hearing from them soon with your approved permit.  The courts had 60 days to decide on the permits from Dec 22rd.  Yesterday (Feb 21)  was the 60th day.  

I submitted my app end of Oct.  It went to Courts middle of Nov.  I received an update email from them that they were still processing them and that they had 60 days to do so.  I received an email yesterday that the judge approved it (on the 60th day) and is sending it back to my local PD.  Hoping to have it by end of the week, early next week at the latest.  

If you were in the situation where your permit made it to the courts before Dec 22 (your money order was cashed before then), and haven't heard anything, I would follow up with either the PD or courts.  If it hasn't been approved, ask them about the 60 days.  

Here is more info on the 60 days.  

"Any applications for a permit to carry a handgun currently pending before the Superior Court as of today (Dec 22, 2022) are to be decided and, if approved, issued by the court. The new law allows judges to rely on the prior approval by law enforcement as the basis for approving these pending applications. L. 2022, c. __. Judges must strive to act on those pending applications within 60 days and should not exceed that 60-day timeframe without good cause. Any applications pending with law enforcement are to be decided by the appropriate chief police officer or superintendent. Effective today, any permit to carry application presented to the court will be returned to the law enforcement entity from which it was received."

• Informative 1

22 minutes ago, ESB said:

So if anyone's permits where at the courts before the law changed on Dec 22, 2022, you should be hearing from them soon with your approved permit.  The courts had 60 days to decide on the permits from Dec 22rd.  Yesterday (Feb 21)  was the 60th day.  

I submitted my app end of Oct.  It went to Courts middle of Nov.  I received an update email from them that they were still processing them and that they had 60 days to do so.  I received an email yesterday that the judge approved it (on the 60th day) and is sending it back to my local PD.  Hoping to have it by end of the week, early next week at the latest.  

If you were in the situation where your permit made it to the courts before Dec 22 (your money order was cashed before then), and haven't heard anything, I would follow up with either the PD or courts.  If it hasn't been approved, ask them about the 60 days.  

Here is more info on the 60 days.  

"Any applications for a permit to carry a handgun currently pending before the Superior Court as of today (Dec 22, 2022) are to be decided and, if approved, issued by the court. The new law allows judges to rely on the prior approval by law enforcement as the basis for approving these pending applications. L. 2022, c. __. Judges must strive to act on those pending applications within 60 days and should not exceed that 60-day timeframe without good cause. Any applications pending with law enforcement are to be decided by the appropriate chief police officer or superintendent. Effective today, any permit to carry application presented to the court will be returned to the law enforcement entity from which it was received."

Morris county court ,  going on 80 days there.    so much for 60 days.

22 minutes ago, revenger said:

Morris county court ,  going on 80 days there.    so much for 60 days.

Mine was at the courts for significantly longer than 60 days (over 100 days).  The 60 day limit did not start until Dec 22, 2022 (read that again).  That means no matter when your app was submitted, Dec 23 was Day 1 of the 60 day limit.  Dec 24 was Day 2, etc.  Basically ALL apps, regardless of when they where submitted, that where at the courts before Dec 22nd should have been approved 60 days from Dec 22, 2022.  That was yesterday. 

FYI, mine was approved at exactly 60 days from the new rule (ie the maximum time allowed), but was at the courts for over 100 days.  

On 2/20/2023 at 2:36 PM, CMJeepster said:

Pike County:  

extension://elhekieabhbkpmcefcoobjddigjcaadp/https://cms7files.revize.com/pikecountypa/Document%20Center/Courts%20&%20Law/Sheriffs%20Office/LTCApplication10.6.22.pdf

Delaware County:  Firearm Licenses - Delaware County, Pennsylvania (delcopa.gov)

Lehigh, but I don't know if anyone has applied there:

extension://elhekieabhbkpmcefcoobjddigjcaadp/https://www.lehighcounty.org/Portals/0/PDF/sheriff/LicenseToCarry_Application.pdf?ver=2017-02-15-104250-863

------

Philadelphia, Bucks, Berks, Montgomery and Northampton don't issue to non-PA residents.

Question - if i have a PTC in NJ and I'm a NJ resident, but want to be able to carry in PA, can i fill out the permit form online (pay the $5.00 fee) and if I get approved, carry in PA or do you have to apply in different counties? Also, if approved, would I be able to carry in the other states that PA has reciprocity with?  Thank you.

2 minutes ago, joeg said:

would I be able to carry in the other states that PA has reciprocity with?

It depends. Here is where a NJ resident with a PA non-resident permit can carry:

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/?resident=NJ&states[]=NJ&states[]=PA 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, joeg said:

Question - if i have a PTC in NJ and I'm a NJ resident, but want to be able to carry in PA, can i fill out the permit form online (pay the $5.00 fee) and if I get approved, carry in PA or do you have to apply in different counties? Also, if approved, would I be able to carry in the other states that PA has reciprocity with?  Thank you.

I can only answer part of your question.  You can carry state-wide.  I will defer to others as to the rest.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YankeeSC said:

It depends. Here is where a NJ resident with a PA non-resident permit can carry:

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/?resident=NJ&states[]=NJ&states[]=PA 

Thanks - so it looks like only NJ and PA

1 minute ago, CMJeepster said:

I can only answer part of your question.  You can carry state-wide.  I will defer to others as to the rest.

Great, thank you!

6 minutes ago, joeg said:

Maybe someone who completed the process regarding your first question could answer it. The second question, only PA resident permits have reciprocity with other states such as Florida  

https://www.handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

The rules can change on a whim with politicians, so it's always best to check with the state(s) you're visiting directly.

According to usacarry.com:

PA non-resident:

Permit(s) Honored In:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Permit(s) Not Honored In:
California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Guam, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Virgin Islands, Washington, American Samoa, N. Mariana Islands

NJ Resident:
Permit(s) Honored In:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia

Permit(s) Not Honored In:
California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Guam, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Virgin Islands, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, American Samoa, N. Mariana Islands
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

18 hours ago, joeg said:

I took CMJeepster and Bzerk's advice and applied via email to Pike County two days ago. I received an email back in under two hours with instructions to call and make an appointment with the Sheriff - the time frame was after March 2nd and before March 17th, to allow time for a background check. There was no fee to apply, but there is a $20 fee for the license when picked up. I assume they take your picture for the license on the spot. 

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

20 hours ago, joeg said:

A PA LTC permit is good for all of PA. 

It is a Non-Resident PA permit though.  Many states that require permits, do not honor non-resident permits or do not honor resident permits that do not reciprocate with them.  NJ does not reciprocate with any state.  

In the list above of states that shows where you can carry, most of those are constitutional carry states meaning you don't even need a PA or NJ permit to carry in those states.  If you want to be able to carry in the most states possible with the least amount of permits, get a Utah Carry Permit.  Many LGS offer the Utah CCW course which is super easy.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ESB said:

A PA LTC permit is good for all of PA. 

It is a Non-Resident PA permit though.  Many states that require permits, do not honor non-resident permits or do not honor resident permits that do not reciprocate with them.  NJ does not reciprocate with any state.  

In the list above of states that shows where you can carry, most of those are constitutional carry states meaning you don't even need a PA or NJ permit to carry in those states.  If you want to be able to carry in the most states possible with the least amount of permits, get a Utah Carry Permit.  Many LGS offer the Utah CCW course which is super easy.  

Thanks.  Looking at the link below, if i get a UT permit, I can carry in NH, but not florida because there is a restriction, correct? I see that Gun for Hire does a UT and Florida permit class.  I guess I'd have to do that if I want the UT benefits and be able to carry in Florida, when I'm there.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/ut-gun-laws/

10 minutes ago, joeg said:

Thanks.  Looking at the link below, if i get a UT permit, I can carry in NH, but not florida because there is a restriction, correct? I see that Gun for Hire does a UT and Florida permit class.  I guess I'd have to do that if I want the UT benefits and be able to carry in Florida, when I'm there.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/ut-gun-laws/

The most common out of state permits are Utah and FL.  You can do both at the same time.  Just need to pay for the extra set of prints for FL.  FL just adds FL.  So if you will never travel to FL, you probably don't need it.  Also there is a good chance they will be going to permitless carry soon, but who knows when and what that will look like.  That said, the FL permit is good for 7 years.   My recommendation would be that if you are getting Utah and they offer FL at the same time, pay the extra ~$25 for it.  I don't think it would be worth it to get FL on its own.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ESB said:

The most common out of state permits are Utah and FL.  You can do both at the same time.  Just need to pay for the extra set of prints for FL.  FL just adds FL.  So if you will never travel to FL, you probably don't need it.  Also there is a good chance they will be going to permitless carry soon, but who knows when and what that will look like.  That said, the FL permit is good for 7 years.   My recommendation would be that if you are getting Utah and they offer FL at the same time, pay the extra ~$25 for it.  I don't think it would be worth it to get FL on its own.   

Sounds good, thanks!

I have kept away from this thread and topic for quite a while now. Coming back I now see that some major changes have been made to the process and the form. 4 references instead of 3, not more triplicate forms, and a single qualification covers all your pistols? Is this correct? And is a judge still in the middle of this?

21 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

I have kept away from this thread and topic for quite a while now. Coming back I now see that some major changes have been made to the process and the form. 4 references instead of 3, not more triplicate forms, and a single qualification covers all your pistols? Is this correct? And is a judge still in the middle of this?

Judges are out of the process now.

21 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

Judges are out of the process now.