CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

4 minutes ago, dajonga said:

I "laminated" my original FID from 2009 with shipping tape and it still looks brand new. I did the same with my PTC. I trimmed it down as tight as possible and wrapped it in shipping tape. Fits in my wallet perfectly.

Kinda crazy but Middlesex County court made me sign something that would invalidate the permit if I altered, cut or changed the shittily laminated permit they handed to me. PA non resident permit was laminated immaculately. Not surprised. 

1 hour ago, Deff said:

Kinda crazy but Middlesex County court made me sign something that would invalidate the permit if I altered, cut or changed the shittily laminated permit they handed to me. PA non resident permit was laminated immaculately. Not surprised. 

Note this one for a future effort to combat unlawful abuse of shit like this, like ANJRPC strike force's effort to combat additional shit to get FPIDs and P2Ps.

3 hours ago, joeg said:

Probably a stupid question, but here goes.  When I got the permit, the PD laminated it for me.  The card is larger than would fit in my wallet, so I trimmed the excess laminate off, but got too close on the side so now I can pull it apart.  Do you think it would be ok to bring to staples or some place and have them re-laminate it over the original lamination, then I'll just get a separate holder just for the PTC card?

I wouldn't recommend relaminating. It's thin but having 4 layers isn't that thin anymore. It expires in 2 years so using some tape to patch up the edges will be just fine. Just care not to seperate as the laminate may peel and rip the permit. Also may lift up ink as well. I did the same mistake to trim down my FID and trying to remove the lamination is making it worse so I just taped the edges with regular scotch tape. Still holding strong today

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Malaka said:

I wouldn't recommend relaminating. It's thin but having 4 layers isn't that thin anymore. It expires in 2 years so using some tape to patch up the edges will be just fine. Just care not to seperate as the laminate may peel and rip the permit. Also may lift up ink as well. I did the same mistake to trim down my FID and trying to remove the lamination is making it worse so I just taped the edges with regular scotch tape. Still holding strong today

I'll keep it as-is and hope it goes digital in 2 years.  Thanks guys!

Good morning All,

NY State resident.  As of today, my $50 money order has been cashed.  Now that they have my money, we will see when I hear from them.  Applied 10/25/22 Totowa NJSP.  No communication since then.  Also, I have an appointment to pick up my Pennsylvania permit on 3/14/22 at Pike County. 

Anyone from Hamilton in Mercer, I spoke with the court today regarding amending the list of qualified weapons. He suggested I start with the Township and if that doesn't work then go to the Ombudsman's office and file a motion to amend with the court. He didn't think there was a form or anything but did suggest a lawyer (???). Will reply with any updates.

On 1/28/2023 at 9:47 AM, High Exposure said:

Read the actual legislation. The actual law is the “in writing” you seek. The legislation does not specify what guns you can carry other than to say you have to be the legal owner of the firearm and you have to qualify with A gun - not the gun you intend to carry.

Having to qualify with and/or having to specify/list in writing what specific guns you wanted to carry was an extra step that the courts imposed at their will. This goes beyond what the legislation actually states.

If your permit was approved by the courts, and the court added stipulations, those stipulations still apply until the courts vacate them or your permit expires. A court order is legal and enforceable until it is officially rescinded by the court. Just because people are currently receiving permits without restriction from their local PDs doesn’t remove the limitations that were imposed on you you when your permit was issued.

If your permit was issued by the Courts and it lists specific guns, you are stuck with that until you:
• Your permit expires and you renew
• You get the court to amend or update the court order
• You restart the process at your local PD from the beginning and are granted a permit there

As an update to my post from January:

The following case was decided in the appellate court in March 6:

https://www.njcourts.gov/sites/default/files/court-opinions/2023/a0921-20.pdf

BLUF:

“To remove restrictions from a duly issued permit in light of Bruen, it is incumbent upon the permit holder to apply for an unrestricted permit. Defendant could not simply disregard the restrictions imposed by the carry permit issued to him, especially since defendant violated those restrictions long before Bruen was decided.”

and 

“Defendant was obliged to comply with the court-ordered restrictions in the permit that was issued to him. Although Bruen changed the criteria for issuing a carry permit in this State, it certainly did not empower permit holders to disregard judicial orders. The proper procedure in these circumstances, rather, is to apply to amend the permit or apply for a new one.”

• Informative 2

Timeline for Camden County

Feb 8 - App Submitted to Cherry Hill Pd

Feb 22 - fingerprinting done

Feb 28 - references called

Mar 8 - approved and picked up

Delco:

Feb 12 - Online App Submitted

Feb 27 - Got Email for NJ PTC requirement

Mar 8 - uploaded NJ PTC after picking up

Mar 9 - received approved email

Mar 10 - picked up.

Edited by Dude,Sweet
  • Informative 1

5 minutes ago, Dude,Sweet said:

Timeline for Camden County

Feb 8 - App Submitted to Cherry Hill Pd

Feb 22 - fingerprinting done

Feb 28 - references called

Mar 8 - approved and picked up

Delco:

Feb 8 - uploaded NJ PTC after picking up

Feb 9 - received approved email

Feb 10 - picked up.

Fast.  Wow!  Municipality?

1 hour ago, Dude,Sweet said:

Delco:

Feb 8 - uploaded NJ PTC after picking up

Feb 9 - received approved email

Feb 10 - picked up.

Did you drive a DeLorean equipped with a flux capacitor? 

Judging by your dates, time travel of some sort had to been involved…

• Crazy 1

1 hour ago, Displaced Texan said:

Did you drive a DeLorean equipped with a flux capacitor? 

Judging by your dates, time travel of some sort had to been involved…

Lol… typo..

fixed it to reflect correct dates…

and yes, i do drive a DeLorean… but i ran out of banana peels to power the flux…

Just now, Dude,Sweet said:

Lol… typo..

fixed it to reflect correct dates…

and yes, i do drive a DeLorean… but i ran out of banana peels to power the flux…

Where did you get a Mr. Fusion? I need one…

After hearing of numerous accounts of people successfully asking their local police departments to re-issue their court-ordered carry permits at the PD level, in order to receive an unrestricted permit, I looked into doing this for myself. My local PD chief said he was willing to do so. But, this was a new request for them and as such they wanted to verify with NJSP whether or not they could. I've done a little writeup on the outcome.

https://www.news2a.com/new-jersey/your-local-pd-cannot-reissue-your-court-issued-carry-permit/

• Informative 2

On 3/10/2023 at 1:57 PM, g17owner said:
After hearing of numerous accounts of people successfully asking their local police departments to re-issue their court-ordered carry permits at the PD level, in order to receive an unrestricted permit, I looked into doing this for myself. My local PD chief said he was willing to do so. But, this was a new request for them and as such they wanted to verify with NJSP whether or not they could. I've done a little writeup on the outcome.

https://www.news2a.com/new-jersey/your-local-pd-cannot-reissue-your-court-issued-carry-permit/

Contrary to what I heard in Old Bridge.  The lady that runs the FIDs and Permits told my FFL she can re-issue his permit...

10 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Contrary to what I heard in Old Bridge.  The lady that runs the FIDs and Permits told my FFL she can re-issue his permit...

For any PD that checks with NJSP, this is the guidance they will be given.

• Informative 1

On 3/1/2023 at 4:40 PM, Dooly said:

I just spoke to 2 prominent 2A attorneys and they both have no idea how to interpret my situation.

To reiterate my situation, I have None ticked for restrictions but there is a list of the firearms that I qualified with further below in the white space.  There is no mention of being limited to them either.  So to summarize, I have None for restrictions, but there is a list of firearms further below.  

The attorney even called the county judges office to see if they can amend my permit to just have it blank or to get clarification however they said the judge is not amending anyone's permit nor providing how to interpret it.  

In the end, the attorneys then just recommended to stick with whatever firearm is listed on the back to err on the safe side unless I want to spend a ton of money (which I don't have) to get iron clad clarification.

Lovely.

The officer running them at my local pd said with no restrictions you can carry any firearm you own regardless of what's listed.  He did however say in the event you have to use you will be scrutinized to proficiency with firearm

FYI, I just spoke with a US Law Shield attorney regarding amending permits, etc. This is what I was told.

There are two sure-fire ways to "remove" the restrictions:

1. Wait 2 years.
  2. Surrender your existing permit and reapply, "surrender" being the key term in order to be able to honestly answer (I think) question 19 on the new application.

One not-guaranteed way to remove the restrictions: hire an attorney to deal with the township and courts. However, PD and courts in OTHER counties may not honor this. The counties appear to be roughly split in half on this question. The legislature took away the courts' authority to issue permits so on paper they cannot modify existing orders (NJSP direction aside). He used the example of a restraining order. Should the local PD be able to change what a judge ordered? Or if the judge is no longer serving (retired, defrocked, or restricted legally), should he/she be able to change the order? As well, this issue has an automatic sunset built-in when everyone's permits need to be renewed. At that time any court cases or challenges will be rendered moot.

So, if you don't want to wait, Option 2 will be your cheapest. I am sure the townships will love this but the legislature being derelict and judges doing stuff not required are to blame.

Also, regarding training requirement changes, which should land in about three months, the rumor is that basically the NJSP won't rock the boat too much for existing permit holders, e..g., if you took your training from someone of the official list at the time you will still be good.

For what it's worth, I'm in Morris county and I received a carry permit with a separate court order listing the firearms i qualified with and was allowed to carry.  instructions indicated that I should contact the court to have additional firearms added.

I contacted the Morris County Superior Court yesterday and they confirmed that I could send in proof of ownership and qualification for additional firearms and they would be added.

24 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

For what it's worth, I'm in Morris county and I received a carry permit with a separate court order listing the firearms i qualified with and was allowed to carry.  instructions indicated that I should contact the court to have additional firearms added.

I contacted the Morris County Superior Court yesterday and they confirmed that I could send in proof of ownership and qualification for additional firearms and they would be added.

That's good to hear.  I am a resident of Orange County, NY.  I hope the NJSP will feel the same as the Morris County Superior Court.  I qualified with an additional firearm since my application.   I applied at Totowa 10/25/22.  Still waiting, though my $50 money order was cashed a week ago.

On 3/14/2023 at 12:05 PM, 124gr9mm said:

So you can send in proof of ownership (model, serial #, etc) and then they issue a new card that lists the new guns?  I heard from the PD that you could carry any gun you own, but what if you want to add 10 guns - I doubt there would be enough room.  I wish they would just add a note that says something like 'Allowed to carry any gun registered to him/her'

On 3/14/2023 at 7:34 AM, Vdep217 said:

The officer running them at my local pd said with no restrictions you can carry any firearm you own regardless of what's listed.  He did however say in the event you have to use you will be scrutinized to proficiency with firearm

What does that mean? 

Proficiency is a measured metric. 

Unless the law requires you be proficient with the specific firearm, and in ways outlines what that means, it's not something that can be argued against you. 

If you've given reason to show you lack proficiency, you start down the path of things like reckless endangerment, manslaughter etc... essentially you put a bullet where it should never have gone. 

That is why YOU make sure YOU are proficient. It's not because you are worried a good shoot might question why you used that gun, but to prevent yourself from an unintended consequence turning a good shoot into a bad one.  

42 minutes ago, joeg said:

So you can send in proof of ownership (model, serial #, etc) and then they issue a new card that lists the new guns?  I heard from the PD that you could carry any gun you own, but what if you want to add 10 guns - I doubt there would be enough room.  I wish they would just add a note that says something like 'Allowed to carry any gun registered to him/her'

No restrictions mean no guns listed... 

Listing guns would appear to show a restriction.