CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

I see lot of debate about qualifications and I totally get the point about local PD  (potentially) throwing tantrum.

Having said that, its clear as mud as to qualification required from NJSP updated instruction sheet at https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/pdf/Permit_To_Carry_Instructions.pdf

A written qualification seems good enough. b (1 or 2 or 3) - https://www.law.cornell.edu/regulations/new-jersey/N-J-Admin-Code-SS-13-54-2-4

Permit_To_Carry_Instructions.pdf

On the form it needs the exact gun model and serial of the weapon we will be carrying.. I do not currently own a pistol that i would carry on me because all i have is a Walther Q5 match. So my question is do i have to obtain the gun  I will be carrying first and qualify with that gun? Or can i qualify with my Walther? 

9 hours ago, USA123 said:

On the form it needs the exact gun model and serial of the weapon we will be carrying.. I do not currently own a pistol that i would carry on me because all i have is a Walther Q5 match. So my question is do i have to obtain the gun  I will be carrying first and qualify with that gun? Or can i qualify with my Walther? 

You would need to already own the gun that you intend to carry.

9 hours ago, USA123 said:

You have to carry the gun you qualify with, but can you qualify with multiple guns in one sitting?

13 minutes ago, H2oVento said:

You have to carry the gun you qualify with, but can you qualify with multiple guns in one sitting?

Yes - you can qualify with as many guns as you like, but may have to pay the instructor running the qual more, the more you do.

33 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

Yes - you can qualify with as many guns as you like, but may have to pay the instructor running the qual more, the more you do.

No problem paying more, just like haveing a choise

2 hours ago, 338lover said:

Has anyone acyually sucessfuly submitted for a CCW in NJ after this ruling?

Yes. Dropped it off at the police station Monday. Officer looked over my papers said everything looked good and he would call me when he forwards it to the courts. He said he has no idea how long it’ll be in the courts hands as they’re still backed up from Covid evictions. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

what are Covid evictions.......

Murph put the rent on hold during the 'Rona.  Landlords are trying to recover and / or evict.

1 minute ago, Ficus said:

The permit form, consent form, training certificate, list of firearms to be carried, photos and money order. 

Cool.  What training cert did you submit?

15 minutes ago, Bomber said:

Oh, brother, they've got excuses already.  

Per the law they have 60 days or it’s automatically approved. They can have all the excuses they want. 

• Informative 1

10 minutes ago, Dr. Goodshot said:

Can a person who lives in NJ get a New York permit? A permit would be much more valuable if I could also carry a gun on my occasional trips to "the city".

I doubt that will ever happen.  I have a friend who is a sergeant in the NYPD and he's highly doubtful it will ever happen.

55 minutes ago, Ficus said:

I took a Pistol 1 class from Sights & Trigger may 28th. I attached that cert to the app. 

I'll be curios to see if that's sufficient.

1 hour ago, dajonga said:

Does anyone know the fingerprint service code?

From the instructions I received from NJSP:

"Fingerprint results – all applicants must be fingerprinted for initial and renewal applications.
Applicants can visit the IdentoGO website to schedule an appointment. When scheduling, the
applicant must provide the investigating agencies ORI#, a fingerprint service code (2F164B), and
a Contributors Case Number (use the applicants last name, month, day, and year of application.
Eg... Joe Doe applied on Jan 8, 2022..... Contributor Case Number, Doe010822.) *Fingerprint
results must be received within ninety (90) days of application."

• Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

Another thing that is unclear: the application has to be notarized, but what about the signatures of the references? Do they have to be notarized? It does not state clearly on the application one way or another, so I can imagine a police department arbitarily deciding that those signatures have to be notarized as well. That will be much harder for them to do if the system goes online.

28 minutes ago, Dr. Goodshot said:

Another thing that is unclear: the application has to be notarized, but what about the signatures of the references? Do they have to be notarized? It does not state clearly on the application one way or another, so I can imagine a police department arbitarily deciding that those signatures have to be notarized as well. That will be much harder for them to do if the system goes online.

I thought about that as well.  My conclusion was no.

3 minutes ago, samiam said:

And the desk sargent at my local SP barracks (Woodbine) told me last Sunday that he is unable to issue me an ORI # for this. He also told me they had been deluged with phone calls, and that SP management had discussed how to respond, so I don't think he was pulling that answer out of his a$$... Obstruction, at best. 

The ORI numbers are static - you can look them up on a list here: https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/ori-list.shtml

ETA: Woodbine is NJNSP3500

4 minutes ago, samiam said:

I'm a bit cofused on that subject, then. A few days ago, someone in the SCOTUS/Bruen thread seemed ot claim that we would need to obtain an id number from local PD (the implication I took from that was that this number was unique to the individual application) to give to Sagem/Morpho/Morphotrak at the time of fingerprinting, and that the number would be forwarded by S/M to NJSP so that they could match the prints to the application. Did I misunderstand the claim, is there another is number that needs to be furnished, or was the claim incorrect? Thanks! 

The ORI number tells Indentogo where to send the results of the fingerprinting/BG check.

What you're thinking of is the contributor's case number. That is your last name followed by the date of your application. I have been told to use the date I sign and get it notarized. So if Joe Doe signed his app today, his CC# would be Doe062922

5 hours ago, Dr. Goodshot said:

Can a person who lives in NJ get a New York permit? A permit would be much more valuable if I could also carry a gun on my occasional trips to "the city".

Yes however you must have a residence in NY. Depending on where it is it is relatively easy to get a permit, for now.

I have had an unrestricted permit for the past 7 years. I received that faster than I received my NJ FPID card.

• Haha 1