CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

8 minutes ago, samiam said:

Yeah. I worked for a company HQd in New Canaan for quite a few years; had to drive up to corporate office roughly once per month. In my perception, New Canaan is as rich-bitch stuck-up as it gets anywhere, but most of the employees were from surrounding area and were (for the most part) OK. I still have a few friends up there. I never looked into a non-resident CT permit, I guess I just assumed they were as effed up as NJ on the subject. 

Besides being a bit pricey and needing another permit from anywhere it’s not bad. First time I applied it was approved relatively quickly. Renewal was never an issue … until I didn’t renew, like a moron. 

4 hours ago, samiam said:

Yeah. I worked for a company HQd in New Canaan for quite a few years; had to drive up to corporate office roughly once per month. In my perception, New Canaan is as rich-bitch stuck-up as it gets anywhere, but most of the employees were from surrounding area and were (for the most part) OK. I still have a few friends up there. I never looked into a non-resident CT permit, I guess I just assumed they were as effed up as NJ on the subject. 

Prior to Bruen they were shall issue in practice even though they are may issue in their statute.

They do have a specific training requirement - NRA basic pistol, with 8 hours including live fire. First steps and anything else do not count.

8 minutes ago, samiam said:

I have an NRA Basic Handgun cert from 2016. It included live fire, I have no recollection of how many hours I spent in the class. 

As long as it’s “NRA Basic pistol course” it’s accepted. The first steps and other courses do not qualify. 

Halfway point fellas. 30 days exactly since I completed all required elements.  I hope Nappen’s office is right that 60 days includes the courts! I want this shit ASAP!

other than Passaic has anyone heard anyone receiving the CCW from any other county?  I was told I was the first person in Ocean County to submit and I haven’t received mine yet.  Anyone else?

#FJB

5 minutes ago, Jim Jones said:

Halfway point fellas. 30 days exactly since I completed all required elements.  I hope Nappen’s office is right that 60 days includes the courts! I want this shit ASAP!

other than Passaic has anyone heard anyone receiving the CCW from any other county?  I was told I was the first person in Ocean County to submit and I haven’t received mine yet.  Anyone else?

#FJB

What I heard and read is, 60 days for the PD (law / admin code) and 30 days for courts (courts directive from 2019).  How long its been since your app was sent to court ?

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

5 minutes ago, Jim Jones said:

17 days but who is counting!

If the court had it for 17 days and you have not heard from them, I would write a nice letter to judge requesting approval within the time window of the directive. And attach copy of the directive 2019

13 minutes ago, CJack said:

If the court had it for 17 days and you have not heard from them, I would write a nice letter to judge requesting approval within the time window of the directive. And attach copy of the directive 2019

Thanks but no chance I am going to poke the bear!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Big update for Ocean County. Called the court. Talked to the Judges Law Clerk. Once she approves them she then sends them back to local PD for local PD to deliver to us. He didn’t see my name in her list she currently needs to approve, but he said that could be because she may have already approved it and sent back to local PD. He said call back in a couple weeks if I hadn’t heard anything but they are approving them! Super nice guy and very helpful!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Jim Jones said:

Big update for Ocean County. Called the court. Talked to the Judges Law Clerk. Once she approves them she then sends them back to local PD for local PD to deliver to us. He didn’t see my name in her list she currently needs to approve, but he said that could be because she may have already approved it and sent back to local PD. He said call back in a couple weeks if I hadn’t heard anything but they are approving them! Super nice guy and very helpful!

That is great news. Buttttt, does that mean they have no tracker at all at Court level in terms of what is approved and what is not ?  And does it also mean they are not requiring zoom/inperson attendance ?

1 minute ago, CJack said:

That is great news. Buttttt, does that mean they have no tracker at all at Court level in terms of what is approved and what is not ?  And does it also mean they are not requiring zoom/inperson attendance ?

Ocean county is not requiring you to attend court and if they need more from you they will let you know.

there is one specific person handling the firearms applications(it wasn’t the person I was talking to and she wasn’t available) sounds like they probably have good tracking.

So...still not clear as to what purpose a judge serves at this point. If there is no criminal record, no psych holds, quals endorsed by certified ranges/instructors, and your hand picked references aren't abducted before they're contacted, what discretion does a judge have to withhold? And if just a rubber stamp, what would justify a delay?

1 hour ago, CJack said:

What I heard and read is, 60 days for the PD (law / admin code) and 30 days for courts (courts directive from 2019).  How long its been since your app was sent to court ?

This keeps coming up, but in practical terms how's that supposed to work?  They don't get your application processed in time ... then what?

9 minutes ago, Kirvy said:

So...still not clear as to what purpose a judge serves at this point ... what would justify a delay?

They don't care about justifying it, they just want to make it as much of a nuisance as possible.  They do not want you to carry.

Just now, CJack said:

Then you have to sue.

You know how long that's going to take?  I have a non-criminal case before Somerset county and they keep changing judges and kicking the can down the road, going on 18 months and no new date yet ...

2 minutes ago, YankeeSC said:

This keeps coming up, but in practical terms how's that supposed to work?  They don't get your application processed in time ... then what?

Its the Govt folks. PD doesnt want to do anything that goes against Country Prosecutor. NJSP doesnt want to do anything against AG. AG doesnt want to do anything that goes against Sabertooth.  Judges dont want to do anything that goes against established process (and, unfortunately in the current law).  

Sure, just like they removed "Justifiable Need" out of the process without actually changing the law or admin code yet,  they could read SCOTUS opinion and say " we gonna get rid of 'abusive" steps" out of the process. But that would mean someone sticking their neck out. And that ain't happening in Govt, much less in NJ Govt.

4 minutes ago, YankeeSC said:

They don't care about justifying it, they just want to make it as much of a nuisance as possible.  They do not want you to carry.

You know how long that's going to take?  I have a non-criminal case before Somerset county and they keep changing judges and kicking the can down the road, going on 18 months and no new date yet ...

Sorry bud, thats what it is, or a class action law suit from FPC requesting immediate relief. And being PTC is used for self-protection, there is a real argument in favor of immediate relief.

2 hours ago, Kirvy said:

So...still not clear as to what purpose a judge serves at this point. If there is no criminal record, no psych holds, quals endorsed by certified ranges/instructors, and your hand picked references aren't abducted before they're contacted, what discretion does a judge have to withhold? And if just a rubber stamp, what would justify a delay?

It mattered when a local police chief was willing to approve and the higher ups I. Trenton did not want people packing. 

it also theoretically allowed for appeal from the local police chief if they did not approve. 

now, the main value may be in allow appeals from lovcal police chiefs who do not want to approve anyone

2 hours ago, Kirvy said:

I am guessing they will be removed at some point. But it’s in the statute so for maximum CYA they have to do it. The judges don’t want to deal with this as much as we don’t want them to deal with it.

29 minutes ago, samiam said:

The problem I see with that 60/30 breakdown is that it's "apples and oranges". The 60 days is in 2C:58-4, with a provision for automatic approval if it is exceeded. The 30 days is in a memo written by the administrator for the Superior Court system. How much authority does that admin have to tell a judge can or cannot do? What are the consequences to a judge who fails to follow that guidance? We already know that the 30 day deadline for NJ FID is sometimes ignored, presumably because there is no provision for automatic approval if the process exceeds that limit. Surely the same logic could apply to carry permits, could it not, since the 30 day limit imposed on the judge to which you refer occurs in neither the Statute nor the AC? Not trying to be a downer here, just a realist. 

I agree 100% but we also have to understand that in the civilized world, the right course of action is lawsuits.  Now that great Justice Thomas directly quoted "permit abuse" in the Bruen opinion, it should open more doors for lawsuits when combined with the 30 day directive.

• Agree 1

Has anyone actually got approved yet? I submitted all my stuff July 5th and got a email yesterday that the chief has to sign and then go to the court house. Was wondering if bergen county makes you do a zoom session with a judge like other counties?

I thought it would useful for some if I shared an accounting of the fees/costs necessary to apply. This is what I paid.

$50 money order to Treasurer, State of New Jersey (USPS): $51.65
4  passport photos (CVS): $21.30
4 documents notorized, 3 applications and statement of firearm ownership (UPS Store): $40
Firearm qualification (Bob's Little Sport Shop, Glassboro): $107
Fingerprinting + out of state charge (Identogo): $96.45

Total: $316.40

• Like 1
  • Informative 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, CJack said:

Then you have to sue.

This ^^^^^^^ The PD's simply cannot be allowed to sit on carry applications for months on end with no determination. The least they can do is keep the lines of communications open with applicants. I would really appreciate updates on my application, it would go along way with building a positive relationship between those that are legally armed and the local PD's.

2 hours ago, Karatenurse said:

I got a call from my local pd. My mental health came back wrong. However I had it expunged in 2019 and the judge who expunged it also does the carry permits. So I emailed it to the officer who is procesding it to forward to the court.

I'm glad yours is moving along to the court level and you're getting that mental health issue corrected. I dropped off my application on the 12th, fingerprinted on the 22nd, references all done by the 28th, and not a single word since....

2 minutes ago, marlintag said:

This ^^^^^^^ The PD's simply cannot be allowed to sit on carry applications for months on end with no determination. The least they can do is keep the lines of communications open with applicants. I would really appreciate updates on my application, it would go along way with building a positive relationship between those that are legally armed and the local PD's.

I'm glad yours is moving along to the court level and you're getting that mental health issue corrected. I dropped off my application on the 12th, fingerprinted on the 22nd, references all done by the 28th, and not a single word since....

Just glad my PD approved it. But he says Middlesex county backed up with apps. No timeline, so not sure how long it will take. He also said carry prmit going to up in price and new laws coming after Jan. 

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, snappy456 said:

I thought it would useful for some if I shared an accounting of the fees/costs necessary to apply. This is what I paid.

$50 money order to Treasurer, State of New Jersey (USPS): $51.65
4  passport photos (CVS): $21.30
4 documents notorized, 3 applications and statement of firearm ownership (UPS Store): $40
Firearm qualification (Bob's Little Sport Shop, Glassboro): $107
Fingerprinting + out of state charge (Identogo): $96.45

Total: $316.40

You got ripped off on the notary, unless you did it out of state. Notaries are typically only allowed to charge $2.50 per notary in New Jersey, that is what the UPS Store in Rockaway charges. They also did the passport photos $13 and gave me a set of 6 1.5 by 1.5 photos.