CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

10 hours ago, glockdoc said:

Just picked mine up from JCPD. First one to get it in Hudson County (and Jersey City). 5 others were also approved.

06/29: Application packet picked up from JCPD & assigned C. Case #

07/05: IdentoGo prints done

07/15: Complete application submitted to JCPD

07/21: JCPD Chief signed off and submitted to Hudson Superior Court

08/03: Prosecutor had "no objection" and Judge signed off

08/17: JCPD received permit and called me to sign back and pick it up

No court appearance required. Back side lists the three pistols I qualified with

My PD received the permit today from the court yet it was approved and signed by Judge on 08/03/2022. They owe me 2 weeks lmao

IMG_7199.thumb.jpg.b682332f0bee1bbdeb85c00392d96da4.jpg

Congrats!!

Two questions 

1. are you restricted on the gun you can carry (meaning only those you qualified with)

2. do you know when in the process your money order was cashed?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

I don't want to be a wet blanket here...

But understand the gravity of the situation...the responsibility you have, and the burden.

This is not a game.....you are carrying a deadly weapon in public....in a state that hates guns, among sheeple.......who dont think you should be.

Think about that a lot....because, all this comes with great responsibility, restraint, situational awareness and a lot of luck that you will not ever have to draw that weapon- because if you do your life is for ever changed. ;)

Carry safely and don't go looking for the shit....

Could not agree more!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Mr.G said:

Someone posted ago... it means not restriction in carrying during work only, outside of work, or places, time, etc,.  But you must carry your qualified firearm.

Not according to the statute, if "none" is checked for restrictions then listing that qualified guns is superfluous.  Its just the administrative code that says you must carry what you qualify with,  either way its confusing and ambiguous, and unfortunately people are going to be hauled into court for this.

d. Issuance by Superior Court; fee. If the application has been approved by the chief police officer or the superintendent, as the case may be, the applicant shall forthwith present it to the Superior Court of the county in which the applicant resides, or to the Superior Court in any county where he intends to carry a handgun, in the case of a nonresident or employee of an armored car company. The court shall issue the permit to the applicant if, but only if, it is satisfied that the applicant is a person of good character who is not subject to any of the disabilities set forth in subsection c. of N.J.S.2C:58-3, that he is thoroughly familiar with the safe handling and use of handguns, and that he has a justifiable need to carry a handgun in accordance with the provisions of subsection c. of this section. The court may at its discretion issue a limited-type permit which would restrict the applicant as to the types of handguns he may carry and where and for what purposes the handguns may be carried. At the time of issuance, the applicant shall pay to the county clerk of the county where the permit was issued a permit fee of $20

• Like 2

Money order cashed yesterday. Hopefully I’ll have a permit soon. 

Burlington county

Got packet from PD 7/5. 

Qualified 7/6 at rtsp. 

Prints done and app turned in 7/7. 

Police sat on for two weeks. 

Detective called references and employer 8/3. 

Sent to superior court 8/5. 

Forwarded to county prosecutor 8/15. 

Money order cashed 8/17. 

Will update when necessary. Hopefully sooner than later.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, ToddD said:

Money order cashed yesterday. Hopefully I’ll have a permit soon. 

Burlington county

Got packet from PD 7/5. 

Qualified 7/6 at rtsp. 

Prints done and app turned in 7/7. 

Police sat on for two weeks. 

Detective called references and employer 8/3. 

Sent to superior court 8/5. 

Forwarded to county prosecutor 8/15. 

Money order cashed 8/17. 

Will update when necessary. Hopefully sooner than later.

Well looks like Burlington County is moving along..I put my packet in Tuesday & the Clerk said about 30-40days. get to signing Judge Cook. :)

Application submitted today with Hamilton. No issues. FPs next week in PA as there are no appointments in NJ. For those that don't know, there's an extra $40 charge for PA (all in it's about $100). She said there's no hearing but it sounded a bit like once it gets handed to the court they are out of the loop so I am not sure what to think. Will update status as it moves forward.

• Informative 1

1 minute ago, samiam said:

Do you have any clue whether or not they waited for your fingerprinting before beginning to contact references?

No idea, however my prints were done on Sat July 16th. I’m far from knowledgeable in the area, but I would think that the PD received them by at least Monday, which is why I estimated the application completion to be 7/18.

My PD had a new Chief promoted during that timeframe, so that is what I feel is the reason for the delay. Howell has been great in the past with everything.

1 hour ago, Schrödinger's cat said:

I guess that’s why they make you qualify with both hands! :huh:

I once went into a golf store to buy golf gloves for trap shooting. The sales clerk asked if I wanted a right or left hand glove.  I said I wanted both. The clerk asked why. Just for fun I said “Because I hold my shotgun with both hands,”

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

I don't want to be a wet blanket here...

But understand the gravity of the situation...the responsibility you have, and the burden.

This is not a game.....you are carrying a deadly weapon in public....in a state that hates guns, among sheeple.......who dont think you should be.

Think about that a lot....because, all this comes with great responsibility, restraint, situational awareness and a lot of luck that you will not ever have to draw that weapon- because if you do your life is for ever changed. ;)

Carry safely and don't go looking for the shit....

This

I completed the class/written test, and the shooting qualification, and now...THE PAPERWORK lol.  I had to go online to get a copy of my birth cert., and now getting my 3 references to sign on my behalf, that's going to be the most expensive part of all LOL, kidding of course. If anyone is interested, here is the shooting qual...

Screenshot-20220730-115411-Genius-Scan.j

16 minutes ago, TOAD said:

I completed the class/written test, and the shooting qualification, and now...THE PAPERWORK lol.  I had to go online to get a copy of my birth cert., and now getting my 3 references to sign on my behalf, that's going to be the most expensive part of all LOL, kidding of course. If anyone is interested, here is the shooting qual...

Screenshot-20220730-115411-Genius-Scan.j

Im not certain this qualification will be valid. It doesn't include swinging from flaming trapeze.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 8/10/2022 at 2:32 PM, Grayson6074 said:

Someone I know (Passaic County) is going for thier court hearing next week on Tuesday. They submitted thier application 3 weeks ago. They were told by the clerk that the hearing will be 10 minutes, they will ask basic questions and the permit will be handed to them immediately after. Will update next week 

Any update?  I just got a call to go into Passaic County Superior Court tomorrow for a 10 minute hearing.  Just curious what to expect.

My timeline:

7/27/2022 Drop off Application for Permit to Carry a Handgun
7/29/2022 Get Fingerprinted out of State
8/8/2022 References Returned Questionnaire via mail

1 hour ago, samiam said:

The relevant NJAC section contains the string "restrict" twice only. The first occurance states that the number of legal firearms obtained via NJ FID is not restricted; the second states:

N.J.A.C. 13:54-2.7 Issuance of a permit to carry a handgun

...(b) The court may, at its discretion, issue a limited type permit which would restrict the applicant as to the types of handguns he or she may carry and where and for what purposes such handguns may be carried.

NJ Penal Code (statute) 2C:58-4 contains only one such reference:

d. Issuance by Superior Court; ...The court may at its discretion issue a limited-type permit which would restrict the applicant as to the types of handguns he may carry and where and for what purposes the handguns may be carried...

So, there appears to be no sound foundation for a contention that "restrictions" listed on the permit are limited to time and place of carry. Both statute and A.C. feature nearly identical language on the subject (for once), which lumps time and place, and handgun type together as possible restrictions; however, neither supports restricting the permit holder to carry of a specific gun. 

A restriction placed on a carry permit has in the past limited an Indivudal to time and place, the permit would also list what firearms the permit qualifies you to carry. 

The restriction marked, would indicate you are only allowed to carry the  specific firearm when working, such as an armed gaurd.

Not sure how that applies today with the change in permits being "unrestricted" to time and place... it may be an error by the courts to list none, in which case you're not limited in any sense. I would be very careful with such an error when the firearms you qualified with are listed by serial number on your permit... they did that for a reason, regardless of which box was checked at the top. 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

A restriction placed on a carry permit has in the past limited an Indivudal to time and place, the permit would also list what firearms the permit qualifies you to carry. 

The restriction marked, would indicate you are only allowed to carry the  specific firearm when working, such as an armed gaurd.

Not sure how that applies today with the change in permits being "unrestricted" to time and place... it may be an error by the courts to list none, in which case you're not limited in any sense. I would be very careful with such an error when the firearms you qualified with are listed by serial number on your permit... they did that for a reason, regardless of which box was checked at the top. 

i will only be carrying what is on my permit even though it says “none” for restrictions. No need by this guy to get a felony.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, samiam said:

That is the qualification some instrructors are using. There is quite a bit of variety. That is the qual course of fire that the instructor I originally paid was using. If you look at the 15 yard sequence, you will note that, as written, it is virtually impossible to achieve with a 5-shot revolver, especially if the instructor allows no time for reloading before the first reholstering (mine did not). NJSP does have a variation on HQC2 specifically for 5-shot revolvers (changes the shots for the15 yard portion from 3-3-4 to 3-2-5, which allows for a single cylinder dump and reload after the redraw), but my original nstructor dragged his feet (for days) in acknowledging that. By the time he did, I had made a qual appointment with an instructor at Shooters, who uses a course of fire much more suited to citizen self-defense handgun use (from what I have read, both instructors at Shooters do this). 

I'm using my Kimber for EDC, I made sure I had 3 mags with me at qual, and was able to reload in between. I don't think anyone in my session was using a revolver, pretty much all semi-auto. 

25 minutes ago, samiam said:

I don't think that is the kind of weapon printing that was under discussion...

You wanna tell gunny he's wrong???  :shok:

5 hours ago, g17owner said:

Im not certain this qualification will be valid. It doesn't include swinging from flaming trapeze.

When will they start requiring all Glocks to have NY2 12-pound triggers?

5 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

When will they start requiring all Glocks to have NY2 12-pound triggers?

My guess is so long as you don't mod your Glock the other way, less pounds, you'll be good with prosecutors. Mandating a mod on a gun seems excessive not that I wouldn't put it past NJ legislators.
On a different note, how many think that voters will like having carry permits and the politicians won't be as aggressive thinking up new firearm laws. As the gun culture grows here, people won't want Trenton playing with their newly found rights.