CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

9 hours ago, RadioGunner said:

Congrats!!

Two questions 

1. are you restricted on the gun you can carry (meaning only those you qualified with)

2. do you know when in the process your money order was cashed?

Yes the three guns I qualified with are the three Im permitted to carry. PD told me not to carry anything else. 

Money Order was cashed the day Judge signed off 08/03

It’s Going on 7 weeks since I submitted everything. 6 weeks ago fingerprints. 
I am told the detective is on vacation all of august and they don’t know when he will return to review the apps. 

July they were waiting for further instruction and august everyone is on vacation. I can’t wait for septembers issue. 

Just now, Brandyep said:

I am told the detective is on vacation all of august and they don’t know when he will return to review the apps. 

July they were waiting for further instruction and august everyone is on vacation. I can’t wait for septembers issue. 

What town ?

5 minutes ago, Brandyep said:

Well they have 60 days to approve.

3 hours ago, galapoola said:

My guess is so long as you don't mod your Glock the other way, less pounds, you'll be good with prosecutors. Mandating a mod on a gun seems excessive not that I wouldn't put it past NJ legislators.
On a different note, how many think that voters will like having carry permits and the politicians won't be as aggressive thinking up new firearm laws. As the gun culture grows here, people won't want Trenton playing with their newly found rights.

And now body armor is being outlawed.  Anything that means preserving your life is outlawed!

Finally getting around to starting my application. Im doing it via the fillable PDF form...  

On the application, top right corner,  "Municipal Code"__________                       Is that my towns ORI number?

7 minutes ago, eyeinstine said:

Finally getting around to starting my application. Im doing it via the fillable PDF form...  

On the application, top right corner,  "Municipal Code"__________                       Is that my towns ORI number?

The list of municipal codes can be found here.

Edited by SJ Guns

1 hour ago, SJ Guns said:

The list of municipal codes can be found here.

Asking your PD is the best way to make sure you enter the right code on your application. However, that is not the list you need from everything I can find, you need the list of municipal court codes. Both Toms River (1507)  which I personally verified with PD and Manchester from the last post are correct in this list.

40 minutes ago, vorfix said:

Asking your PD is the best way to make sure you enter the right code on your application. However, that is not the list you need from everything I can find, you need the list of municipal court codes. Both Toms River (1507)  which I personally verified with PD and Manchester from the last post are correct in this list.

This is the correct list

2 hours ago, vorfix said:

Yep that's what I did. 

8 hours ago, RadioGunner said:

Well they have 60 days to approve.

I submitted my application package on July 6th.  Provided everything requested,  | was told I was the 3rd applicant they got and was also told it was so new, they had no idea how it was going to go.  I was fingerprinted a week later.  I work with one of my references, so I see him daily, and he nor my other two references have been contacted.

Last year, I sold my house and moved into a condo in the same town.  I filed a change of address for my FID, thinking it was as simple as changing your address on your DL.  WRONG!   It was essentially the the same process as an initial FID application, and it took 4 months to process. At that time, I was told that they had one (1) retired PO working P/T on all the firearms stuff.

My question is this.  When day 61 or 62 comes, what do we do?  What do I do ?  Is there a process?  Certainly you can't simply carry because they took no action on your application?

Also, the earliest someone could have applied was what, June 30, so do they change the law/reg to suspend the 60 days clause?

15 hours ago, galapoola said:

My guess is so long as you don't mod your Glock the other way, less pounds, you'll be good with prosecutors. Mandating a mod on a gun seems excessive not that I wouldn't put it past NJ legislators.
On a different note, how many think that voters will like having carry permits and the politicians won't be as aggressive thinking up new firearm laws. As the gun culture grows here, people won't want Trenton playing with their newly found rights.

NJ won't pass any new laws until after the midterms... they aren't just waiting to see what happens with NYs new laws. Not that it should matter to voters since we already know their intent. 

• Agree 1

An update from Middlesex County!

My application was approved by the PD and send to the court. Now more waiting... :p. The fact is that for most of us this will be a 30-90 day process. I am aware that some here have received their permits in under 30 days but, that won't be for the majority of applicants particularly in heavily populated areas like Middlesex and Bergen counties. Like I said, getting your carry permit quickly appears to be county dependent and maybe some luck too! I am also the first post-bruen applicant in my town which is kinda cool. 

3 minutes ago, marlintag said:

My application was approved by the PD and send to the court. Now more waiting... :p. The fact is that for most of us this will be a 30-90 day process. I am aware that some here have received their permits in under 30 days but, that won't be for the majority of applicants particularly in heavily populated areas like Middlesex and Bergen counties. Like I said, getting your carry permit quickly appears to be county dependent and maybe some luck too! I am also the first post-bruen applicant in my town which is kinda cool. 

I hear that, Woodbridge approved mine as well, but says the court is backed up with applicants. Has anyone contacted Middlesex county court to inquire about status.

8 minutes ago, Karatenurse said:

I hear that, Woodbridge approved mine as well, but says the court is backed up with applicants. Has anyone contacted Middlesex county court to inquire about status.

Yep, I heard the same...that's the word around these parts. I believe sometime in the beginning to mid-September we will some activity at the court level in our county. 

54 minutes ago, marlintag said:

Some courts move slower than others. And many courts slow down in August. 

If anyone sees any movement from the Middlesex Superior Court please let us know. 

25 minutes ago, Bushmaster1313 said:

Some courts move slower than others. And many courts slow down in August. 

If anyone sees any movement from the Middlesex Superior Court please let us know. 

A perfect storm awaits:

https://newjerseymonitor.com/2022/08/17/judicial-vacancies-poised-to-edge-past-2020-high/

ok. Had a very annoying morning.  I work a minute from PA so I figured I should get my PA permit, incase I am detoured into PA I do not want to get a felony by accident for crossing state lines.  I researched and you fill out the application, provide your NJ carry permit, give them $20, they take the picture on the spot. PA state police website says any Sheriff’s department in PA can handle. So I drive 45 minutes to Bucks county and they refuse out of state permits.  Honestly unbelievable because the website says any sheriff’s department can handle it. She got very nasty with me and said it’s the Sheriff’s decision.

long story short if you are going to do this do not go to Buck’s county. Does anyone know a sheriff in PA that will do it for out of state resident?

also what are your thoughts on using the Utah and FL concealed permit that I have? The reciprocity between them seems like a gray area.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

5 minutes ago, Jim Jones said:

ok. Had a very annoying morning.  I work a minute from PA so I figured I should get my PA permit, incase I am detoured into PA I do not want to get a felony by accident for crossing state lines.  I researched and you fill out the application, provide your NJ carry permit, give them $20, they take the picture on the spot. PA state police website says any Sheriff’s department in PA can handle. So I drive 45 minutes to Bucks county and they refuse out of state permits.  Honestly unbelievable because the website says any sheriff’s department can handle it. She got very nasty with me and said it’s the Sheriff’s decision.

long story short if you are going to do this do not go to Buck’s county. Does anyone know a sheriff in PA that will do it for out of state resident?

also what are your thoughts on using the Utah and FL concealed permit that I have? The reciprocity between them seems like a gray area.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

That stinks. There has been some ongoing discussion about this exact topic in another thread (see below). Delco was one county that seemed to be ok.

Regarding UT/FL, my understanding is that they are only valid in PA if you have a resident permit, not a non-resident permit. I believe the disgraced AG woman, who's name currently escapes me, was responsible for this change.

• Thanks 1