Jump to content
CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Jfoster99 said:

Do you thing an NRA Instructor could qualify themself?

 

 

I don't think so. I am certified as an NRA Basic Pistol Instructor and I have a couple of volunteers willing to test the systems to see if me signing off on their quals will be accepted. I'll post what we find out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This morning I decided to get an appointment with Identogo for the required fingerprinting. I found this web page, which appears to be the correct site:

https://www.identogo.com/locations/new-jersey

That page instructs me to go to:

http://uenroll.identogo.com

and also informs me that I need what they call a "service code" to proceed "The UEP solution requires applicants to use a Service Code, which summarizes your fingerprint reason, agency, ORI, category, and document type into a single value. If you employer/agency did not provide you with a Service Code, please contact them to obtain the Service Code to allow you to schedule

And indeed, that is the item demanded of me on the new page ("Enter your Service Code to get started). So, I am greatly confused on how to proceed. That "service code" is what I was initially given to believe I needed to furnish to Identogo, and which I contacted my nearby SP location in Woodbine to obtain (no local PD), only to be told they could not provide me with one. When I posted that issue here, I was told by at least one member who has apparently gone through this process that I needed only the appropriate ORI number, which for Woodbine is "NJNSP3500". When I enter that into the Identogo form, I get the result "Service code is not valid". I appear to be stuck at this point. For those here who were fingerprinted (or made an appointment for same) at Identogo subsequent to the elimination of NJ justifiable need and the revision of SP 642, how did you obtain your appointment, and what information were you required to furnish to do so? Thank you.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, glockncolts said:

TRY service code 2F164B.

That gets me past the first challenge. But after I enter my name, dob, etc. as prompted on the following page:
https://uenroll.identogo.com/workflows/2F164B/appointment/bio
and click "Next", I am stopped with the error "multiple matches found". Is there anything unique to you that might be embedded in that service code? There is an alternative presented, to enter a "UE ID' and dob, but afaik I do not have a "UE ID", nor do I have clue one on how to obtain one. I am really interested in hearing details from anyone in this topic who recently successfully made an appointment or actually were fingerprinted for this application.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, samiam said:

That gets me past the first challenge. But after I enter my name, dob, etc. as prompted on the following page:
https://uenroll.identogo.com/workflows/2F164B/appointment/bio
and click "Next", I am stopped with the error "multiple matches found". Is there anything unique to you that might be embedded in that service code? There is an alternative presented, to enter a "UE ID' and dob, but afaik I do not have a "UE ID", nor do I have clue one on how to obtain one. I am really interested in hearing details from anyone in this topic who recently successfully made an appointment or actually were fingerprinted for this application.

There are THREE (3) different things you need:

1. Service Code (posted above) . This one lets identogo know its for "firearms application"
2. ORI Number (this is the NJ agency number). Your NJSP contact should give that to you to enter
3. Contributing Case Number.  There are suggestions out there about what to put in there. But your processing agency (NJSP) should direct you as thats how they supposedly finds / tracks YOUR fingerprinting.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, samiam said:

That gets me past the first challenge. But after I enter my name, dob, etc. as prompted on the following page:
https://uenroll.identogo.com/workflows/2F164B/appointment/bio
and click "Next", I am stopped with the error "multiple matches found". Is there anything unique to you that might be embedded in that service code? There is an alternative presented, to enter a "UE ID' and dob, but afaik I do not have a "UE ID", nor do I have clue one on how to obtain one. I am really interested in hearing details from anyone in this topic who recently successfully made an appointment or actually were fingerprinted for this application.

I'll be DAMNED (or perhaps NJ and/or Identogo should be). After failing at electronic enrollment, I went to the "PRINT-N-GO" enrollment section, which I had previously used for fingerprint cards for out-of state CHP applications. I received the same "Multiple matches" error. I started playing around with my personal information fields, and discovered that the apparent culprit is my phone number! I supplied my mobile phone number, since I plan to use that on my SP 642 (and since my land-line number may be going away soon). My mobile service is through Ting, which is a pay-as-you-go T-Mobile reseller. When I changed the PRINT-N-GO form to use my land line number, I was allowed to proceed! So, I went back to the electronic fingerprinting enrollment form, entered the land-line number, and it look slike all is good to go (I am up to the point where I am prompted to enter my ORI - I will update if I encounter more obstacles). But how effed up is that restriction? I must assume that sometime in the distant past (I have had the number for 4 - 5 years) my number was assigned to someone else who created an Identogo record. Um, in spite of the option to keep a number when changing providers, mobile numers get reassigned ALL THE TIME. Unless my assumptions are incorrect and there is some alternative explanation, this would seem to be biting a significant number of people in the a$$; not just applicants for concealed carry, but people applying for government jobs, etc. If I did not have my other phone number, I would  be stuck with no recourse except possibly to try to contact someone at Identigo who could conprehend and rectify the matter, and I suspect that would be an extremely long and frustrating process, if even proved to be possible. If you intend to enroll for fingerprinting by Identogo as part of your SP642 applications, you should be aware of this potential glitch. SHEESH!!!!

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CJack said:

 


16 minutes ago, CJack said:

 

 

 


There are THREE (3) different things you need:



1. Service Code (posted above) . This one lets identogo know its for "firearms application"
2. ORI Number (this is the NJ agency number). Your NJSP contact should give that to you to enter
3. Contributing Case Number.  There are suggestions out there about what to put in there. But your processing agency (NJSP) should direct you as thats how they supposedly finds / tracks YOUR fingerprinting.

 

 

 

 


Thanks I followed up with resolution to the immediate problem, which doesn't seem to reflect well on Identogo. I have my ORI (Woodbine SP). Regarding the CCN (I'm not to that point yet) should I try calling NJSP Firearms DIv, since my local NJSP contact refused to give me any information about id numbers for SP 642?


UPDATE: I emailed the NJSP Firearms Division at the address listed for non-RPO Permit to Carry issues requesting my CCN, so we shall see...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2022 at 5:55 PM, oneshot said:

They have 60 days to approve or deny or it is considered approved ,unless the applicant agrees to extend the time limit

When did this start? I know its been on the books for years, but they've also circumvented it for years via a camden judge ruling public safety supersedes it (if investigation not complete in that 60 days), and using that as precedent. Is it now being enforce?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, fslater said:

When did this start? I know its been on the books for years, but they've also circumvented it for years via a camden judge ruling public safety supersedes it (if investigation not complete in that 60 days), and using that as precedent. Is it now being enforce?

Do you have any kind of cite or link for that Camden County judge's decision? I was not aware of it, but I am (and have been) quite skeptical that an applicant could successfully hold them to the 60 day limit. The recourse for an applicant to seek redress for NJ thumbing its nose at 60 days (inevitable) would seem to largely involve the same difficulty, expense, and time that it would take to fight NJ's post-Bruen regs that appear to directly conflict with Thomas' decision, where imo those resources would be better spent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fslater said:

When did this start? I know its been on the books for years, but they've also circumvented it for years via a camden judge ruling public safety supersedes it (if investigation not complete in that 60 days), and using that as precedent. Is it now being enforce?

I just saw it posted on a site, but i cant for the life of me remember which one . handgunlaw. us maybe.

 And im sure they  ( Nj parasitic Govt ) will not comply but it is basis for another lawsuit .  Years of BS fighting for a right these scumbags had no business taking away to begin with

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I see Gun For hit is offering the shoot Qualification needed to complete the application. 

What about the Training requirement?  Regardless of previous experience / training you need to pass e certified test on the NJ Use of Force laws right?  

How do we complete that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jfoster99 said:

So I see Gun For hit is offering the shoot Qualification needed to complete the application. 

What about the Training requirement?  Regardless of previous experience / training you need to pass e certified test on the NJ Use of Force laws right?  

How do we complete that?

Is there a training requirement ?  The admin code has "OR" in it, meaning any ONE of those 3 requirements.

N.J. Admin. Code § 13:54-2.4 - Application for a permit to carry a handgun

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fslater said:

When did this start? I know its been on the books for years, but they've also circumvented it for years via a camden judge ruling public safety supersedes it (if investigation not complete in that 60 days), and using that as precedent. Is it now being enforce?

The judge ruled on FPID applications, not carry. So it does not apply. 

 

The judge absolved them from the 30 day rule. 

 

The main difference here is the law stipulates an automatic approval, FPID apps dont have that, so there is no recourse for the cops taking longer than the law stipulates. I would have a hard time thinking a judge can overrule this now, the SCOTUS opinion stated they can't take too long to process applications. 

  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, CJack said:

Is there a training requirement ?  The admin code has "OR" in it, meaning any ONE of those 3 requirements.

N.J. Admin. Code § 13:54-2.4 - Application for a permit to carry a handgun

so what is the accepted qual test.......been trying to get a handle on this......thanks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

so what is the accepted qual test.......been trying to get a handle on this......thanks.

 

Anybody's (educated) guess at this time.  I posted link to NJ Criminal Justice pdf somewhere here, but among other varieties, there are HQC-1, HQC-2 and RPO qual tests that are clearly outlines as to what it entails.  Some ranges are of opinion that RPO quals are enough. Some are doing FBI HQC (apparently new one is 50 rounds). Others are of opinion that its better to do full on HQC including holster.

I did HQC-1 (using holster) and use of force familiarity thing. Will see how it stands up through the app process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All,

I submitted my application today in Hoboken. My trials and tribulations to get to this point are on the NJ CCW resources thread, if you're interested.

The officer that took the packet looked it over very carefully and then said "they'll do the background check immediately and then submit it to the State Police/Superior Court for approval before a judge". He also said "You know you're in Hudson County, right? I wouldn't get my hopes up that a judge will approve this. I mentioned the SCOTUS decision and the guidance from the AG; but he remained skeptical that I would get an approval. 

The question is: what is my recourse if they reject it on flimsy grounds, or simply don't give an explanation? 

Thanks

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LineItem said:

Hi All,

I submitted my application today in Hoboken. My trials and tribulations to get to this point are on the NJ CCW resources thread, if you're interested.

The officer that took the packet looked it over very carefully and then said "they'll do the background check immediately and then submit it to the State Police/Superior Court for approval before a judge". He also said "You know you're in Hudson County, right? I wouldn't get my hopes up that a judge will approve this. I mentioned the SCOTUS decision and the guidance from the AG; but he remained skeptical that I would get an approval. 

The question is: what is my recourse if they reject it on flimsy grounds, or simply don't give an explanation? 

Thanks

Merged topic into existing thread.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, LineItem said:

Hi All,

I submitted my application today in Hoboken. My trials and tribulations to get to this point are on the NJ CCW resources thread, if you're interested.

The officer that took the packet looked it over very carefully and then said "they'll do the background check immediately and then submit it to the State Police/Superior Court for approval before a judge". He also said "You know you're in Hudson County, right? I wouldn't get my hopes up that a judge will approve this. I mentioned the SCOTUS decision and the guidance from the AG; but he remained skeptical that I would get an approval. 

The question is: what is my recourse if they reject it on flimsy grounds, or simply don't give an explanation? 

Thanks

Good Luck!

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, LineItem said:

Hi All,

I submitted my application today in Hoboken. My trials and tribulations to get to this point are on the NJ CCW resources thread, if you're interested.

The officer that took the packet looked it over very carefully and then said "they'll do the background check immediately and then submit it to the State Police/Superior Court for approval before a judge". He also said "You know you're in Hudson County, right? I wouldn't get my hopes up that a judge will approve this. I mentioned the SCOTUS decision and the guidance from the AG; but he remained skeptical that I would get an approval. 

The question is: what is my recourse if they reject it on flimsy grounds, or simply don't give an explanation? 

Thanks

There is an appeal process. Whether or not it is worth a damn, I have no idea. I doubt that it has been tested to any great extent, because in the past they would probably always deny (for anyone without criminal history or documented mental illness, at least) on the basis of failing to show sufficient justifiable need, which is highly subjective (I saw a tongue-in-cheek comment from Evan Nappen that suggested that being murdered while out on the street might be sufficient grounds to appeal such a denial). The appeals for denial of a FPID or HGP seem to be assigned to Superior Court, presumably in the applicant's county of residence. If that is also true for denial of Permit to Carry, it doesn't bode well for an appellant, because that would be the same judge who issued the initial denial (assuming the application wasn't rejected at a lower level).  

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, CJack said:

I got my HQC-1 quals done at ReloaderzNJ.  Waiting for an appointment from local PD to handover the paperwork.

What was the course of fire?

The modified one they have listed on their website (goes to 15 yards) or the standard one (25 yards)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 124gr9mm said:

What was the course of fire?

The modified one they have listed on their website (goes to 15 yards) or the standard one (25 yards)?

They did the standard HQC-1, starting at 25 yards, holster.. 60 rounds. Passing score is 48.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CJack said:

They did the standard HQC-1, starting at 25 yards, holster.. 60 rounds. Passing score is 48.

Do they require you to shoot from the various positions/cover as well? Or just the listed distances?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, danw77 said:

Do they require you to shoot from the various positions/cover as well? Or just the listed distances?

Holster, kneel, strong hand, support hand etc.. as per NJ In-Service HQC-1 qualification guidelines.. they even printed it out and gave copy to everyone. They also have them posted at the booths .

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I spoke with the trooper at NJSP Washington today. As of this afternoon, my application is the only one on her desk but she hasn't done anything with it yet - I dropped it off 6/30 so it has sat for almost a week (but over a holiday)

She seems very nice and not an anti, so hopefully things will go OK. We joked about me being her guinea pig, but she has done permits before for armored car, etc.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...