CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

1 hour ago, Regular Guy said:

I'll see what he says when I go in since I have to drop my packet off at the same office with the same guy.

See there maybe a difference between those processed by ones local City Pd and those beinf done by the New Jersey State Police for NON-Residents.

Even Texas has a different process for NON-resident permits then Resident permits

That maybe true, However there are and have been difference in how each city or NJSP barracks and even judges are processing the apps.

Apparently not everyones references are being called. Some judges are doing in person meetings and others are doing zoom meetings.

Some have to make appointments and others like me emailed a completed app in for review then were able to just drop it off at the barracks.

So to some degree there are differences.

2 minutes ago, TexasLTC said:

That maybe true, However there are and have been difference in how each city or NJSP barracks and even judges are processing the apps.

Apparently not everyones references are being called. Some judges are doing in person meetings and others are doing zoom meetings.

Some have to make appointments and others like me emailed a completed app in for review then were able to just drop it off at the barracks.

So to some degree there are differences.

Anyone that stated that they emailed their application is lying. All applications are required to be notarized. Emailing them defeats the purpose of verifying authenticity. 

Variation in court is due to lack of clarity on the court's end where judges still feel the need to be involved to feel that they're still in control. 

The application instructions are clear as they can be. They are also the same for in and out of state residents. It does not change the background process one bit. 

10 minutes ago, Spdracr said:

Anyone that stated that they emailed their application is lying. All applications are required to be notarized. Emailing them defeats the purpose of verifying authenticity. 

Or, maybe it give the chief an opportunity to look for errors before the applicant drop off the notarized hard copy.  It saves both the applicant and the already overwhelmed department wasted time.

You have to accept that there is no uniform procedure for this just yet, it's all new to everyone.  There will be screwups and there will be smooth sailing.  It's all part of the process.  You can accept it for what it is or go around angry calling folks liars.  It's your life bruh.

2 hours ago, Regular Guy said:

No, he's not lying.  Fingerprints from Identigo are same day, but that's not what he was told would take 3 weeks to come from FBI.  He said he was told the background check coming from FBI via snail mail would take about 3 weeks.

The FBI background check takes minutes, I'm pretty sure it's NICS. The fingerprints are uploaded and it's mostly autonomous. It's the same deal every time you do p2ps.  

What takes the longest time, should be the mental health check. 

The background process is no different than if you were to apply for a FPID or P2P.. and I can get those turned around In a week through my PD. 

22 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Or, maybe it give the chief an opportunity to look for errors before the applicant drop off the notarized hard copy.  It saves both the applicant and the already overwhelmed department wasted time.

You have to accept that there is no uniform procedure for this just yet, it's all new to everyone.  There will be screwups and there will be smooth sailing.  It's all part of the process.  You can accept it for what it is or go around angry calling folks liars.  It's your life bruh.

An overwhelmed department has the time to do am initial application review to catch errors then a final review after correcting errors? You must really not live in NJ or not follow what has been happening recently with most PDs stalling and refusing to process applications and settings obstacles along the way to discourage citizens from applying. 

1 hour ago, Spdracr said:

Variation in court is due to lack of clarity on the court's end where judges still feel the need to be involved to feel that they're still in control. 

The application instructions are clear as they can be. They are also the same for in and out of state residents. It does not change the background process one bit. 

I said  emailed him my application to verify everything was correct. Then i turned my physical application in, in person

2 hours ago, Spdracr said:

An overwhelmed department has the time to do am initial application review to catch errors then a final review after correcting errors? You must really not live in NJ or not follow what has been happening recently with most PDs stalling and refusing to process applications and settings obstacles along the way to discourage citizens from applying. 

I didn’t go to a local City PD. I went to the New Jersey STATE Police barracks as required for anyone apply as a non-Resident.

I did NOT submit my application via email, I had him REVIEW the application for errors, or anything lacking PRIOR to flying from Texas to New Jersey to submit in person. We both wanted to make sure I had all the required documents etc… I then submitted the application in person.

Now while I have heard of Local City PD’s refusing to process application. I have NOT heard that to be the case with the New Jersey State Police doing so. Maybe I am wrong. But I doubt it. I do know one other person who submitted their application with Woodstown and they are approved now with permit in hand. 

13 minutes ago, TexasLTC said:

I didn’t go to a local City PD. I went to the New Jersey STATE Police barracks as required for anyone apply as a non-Resident.

I did NOT submit my application via email, I had him REVIEW the application for errors, or anything lacking PRIOR to flying from Texas to New Jersey to submit in person. We both wanted to make sure I had all the required documents etc… I then submitted the application in person.

Now while I have heard of Local City PD’s refusing to process application. I have NOT heard that to be the case with the New Jersey State Police doing so. Maybe I am wrong. But I doubt it. I do know one other person who submitted their application with Woodstown and they are approved now with permit in hand. 

If that's truly the case then that's great news. It's not often at all that you hear about njsp being cooperative when it comes to gun ownership and even some local municipalities 

1 hour ago, Spdracr said:

If that's truly the case then that's great news. It's not often at all that you hear about njsp being cooperative when it comes to gun ownership and even some local municipalities 

Do you go throught the NJSP? I have a few friends up here that have had no issues what so ever going through them. They take a little longer than some places, but are not nearly as bad as some towns.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Do you go throught the NJSP? I have a few friends up here that have had no issues what so ever going through them. They take a little longer than some places, but are not nearly as bad as some towns.

They do take longer with paper apps due to having to mail paperwork to and from FIU in Trenton.

On 8/26/2022 at 4:51 PM, vorfix said:

We don't need guidance, the law says how it works in 2C:39-5(b), with a permit to carry your possession of a handgun in NJ is legal. It says permit to carry, but it really functions as a permit to possess a handgun legally in general. Caveat being if the judge says you can only carry handguns listed on permit, then only those would work this way.

The whole reason we needed to use the transport restrictions and exempted places under 2C:39-6 to possess or transport a handgun in NJ was because we lacked a permit to carry so our possession was illegal under 2C:39-5(b) unless we could prove an exemption. Once you have a PTC issued (and that is valid for the handgun you are possessing if restricted by judge) no more exemptions or transport rules for that handgun. Same thing applies with FID in relation to rifles and shotguns, but we could actually obtain one of those prior to a few months ago.

This is a good point.  What are your thoughts on, Now that some have received a permit to carry a handgun, what are the storage requirements for your car?  For example, you're carrying and you go somewhere that does not allow carrying of a handgun so you have to store it in your car.  Does the firearm need to be unloaded and stored separately from ammo contained in a closed and fastened case, gun box, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported or can it be stored loaded in a gun box in the vehicle?

• FacePalm 1

On 8/25/2022 at 7:20 AM, JRT said:

NJ MEDICAL MARIJUANA CARD ? 

Friend of mine had a medical marijuana card. Once it went legal for rec, he cancelled it. 

He is now contemplating applying for the CCW and wonders if this will jam him up. I have no idea, so I am throwing it out the forum?    thanks.  

I am very close friends with someone who has a card and applied for a p2p and PCH. Local PD approved both and sent PCH app and sent it to the judge to be issued. If he cancelled it already, he's good. The person I know cancelled his a few days ago. 

• Informative 1

Hackettstown PD  (Warren County) have always been great to deal with for my P2P’s in the past and applying for my carry permit has been no different.  Hopefully soon I’ll join the rest of our fellow permit to carry recipients. 

8/18 Forms Notarized (my bank) and Passport Photos taken (Walgreens) 

8/19 CCW Course (RTSP)

8/20 Qualification at Guns For Hire

8/22 Called my local PD and received an appt to drop off completed ppwk 8/24

8/24 Submitted my ppwk to my local PD and received my case# for Identogo

8/24 Fingerprints at Identogo East Stroudsburg PA (Walk-in)

2 minutes ago, samiam said:

I think the claim was that a non-resident could email the application for revew, presumable to point out obvious errors, then officially submit the final, notarized, application in person. I think it would behoove all of us to refrain from making accusations of lying. The process is made aggravating enough by NJ without us pi$$ing on each other.  

I can understand that may be the case for out of state applicants. The problem is that there is lots of false information flying around and people gobbling it up and believing every word of it. 

On 8/25/2022 at 11:55 AM, SJgunguy9899 said:

Hi guys, my names Dave. New to the forum. Seeing if there is any update from Atlantic County? I submitted all paperwork on 7/12. Fingerprints on 7/13. Money order not cashed. I called my local PD and left 2 messages. No reply. 

Update on my application from Atlantic County, spoke with my local PD this morning and they informed me my application was sent to the superior court and it’s out of their hands now. 

9 minutes ago, SJgunguy9899 said:

Update on my application from Atlantic County, spoke with my local PD this morning and they informed me my application was sent to the superior court and it’s out of their hands now. 

Was your money order cashed?

On 8/26/2022 at 12:06 PM, g17owner said:

List of required expenses to practice our "rightvilege":
$150 - Qualification cost, on average (I spent $350 to do 4 guns)
$25 - 1 box 50 rounds for qualification (I went through 4 boxes for 4 guns)
$56 - Identogo fingerprints (I spent $96 due to out of state fee)
$50 - Treasurer, State of NJ
$30 - Notary + Photos (I realize this can be done cheaper, this is what was charged at GFH)
$1.65 - Money order fee
----------------------------------------------------
$312.65 on expenses to exercise our rights. Not to mention, we need to repeat every two years.

Optional expenses:
$50 each additional gun
$25 per box of practice ammo, assuming you want to practice
$4 per FBI Q target for practice
$25-$30 per hour for practice range time

Potentially required expenses:
$ lost by taking off of work if court hearing required
$ spent on fuel to travel to the hearing
$ spent on lawyer to attend hearing or appeal an unjustified denial
$$$ pyrotechnics permit and trapeze rental for use during qualification

I have seen successes won through legislative bodies and courts in other states where the financial burden to exercise 2nd amendment rights (and other rights) has been so great that it inherently discriminates against low income Americans. I do think the state of NJ falls well within this kind of situation. I don't think any other state (maybe NY or CA but I truly don't know) comes anywhere close to this kind of financial burden to get "permission" to exercise a right.

Am I leaving any expenses out?

For me,  you've just laid out the argument to not get a permit.  Not to mention, in my case, the stops I make during my everyday routine happen to be next to a school of some sort.  From what I've read in other threads, if you are driving past a school and get pulled over, that could have serious consequences.

4 minutes ago, dilbert1967 said:

For me,  you've just laid out the argument to not get a permit.  Not to mention, in my case, the stops I make during my everyday routine happen to be next to a school of some sort.  From what I've read in other threads, if you are driving past a school and get pulled over, that could have serious consequences.

This school zone thing you're referring to is a question I created a thread for. The law doesn't specify any sort of exception and in an antigun state I wonder if that will be twisted in such a way to make a felon out of an otherwise law abiding person.

8 minutes ago, g17owner said:

This school zone thing you're referring to is a question I created a thread for. The law doesn't specify any sort of exception and in an antigun state I wonder if that will be twisted in such a way to make a felon out of an otherwise law abiding person.

Appreciate if you can link that thread here so folks dont continue to discuss that topic on this thread.

On the cost @g17owner, I remember folks (myself included) being ready to give a left nut to exercise the 2A right of carry in NJ. Dont get me wrong, any process that prevents most poor from exercising is an unconstitutional process, but we have to pay (atleast in the beginning) to put applications through this process, make it normal and usual to carry and fund further lawsuits. @dilbert1967 If everyone stays out of applying, nothing may ever change.  I am pretty sure Commercial side (qualifications, notary etc) of costs will come down. It may even come to where ranges will offer free quals with membership or low cost quals for renewals.  I also dont see reason to pay more to qualify with multiple firearms.  There is an opportunity to file lawsuit regarding the "qualified firearms" BS as law says one can carry any firearm owned by the applicant.

In summary, we need MORE people to flood the system with applications, not less.

34 minutes ago, CJack said:

In summary, we need MORE people to flood the system with applications, not less.

That's the primary reason i submitted as early as possible.  I didn't think the cost was too prohibitive ($90 for qual, $80 for prints, $50 to NJ treasury, $30 for misc notary/paperwork) so I wanted my local PD to get used to the idea that these would be headed their way.  (Truth be told, the clerk who handles firearms work in our town is very professional/organized/efficient, so I have no complaints).

If there were very few initial applications it would be easy for jurisdictions to slow-walk the process and make it essentially moot.  If there are a LOT of initial applications there will be a lot of "oh shit" moments in the police departments and courts that will force them to make changes, so for those who can spare the time/expense to go through the process, I encourage it.

With that said, I don't think anyone HAS to get a carry permit.  There are guys at my club who give a LONG list of reasons they're NOT getting a permit whenever the topic comes up.  IMO there's no need to justify the decision either way.  Hell, I know plenty of people in Florida and Texas who are gun guys but have never carried.

Getting one isn't a badge of honor or something that makes you a bigger 2nd Amendment supporter than anyone else, just as not getting one doesn't make you less of a "gun guy".

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

That's the primary reason i submitted as early as possible.  I didn't think the cost was too prohibitive ($90 for qual, $80 for prints, $50 to NJ treasury, $30 for misc notary/paperwork) so I wanted my local PD to get used to the idea that these would be headed their way.  (Truth be told, the clerk who handles firearms work in our town is very professional/organized/efficient, so I have no complaints).

If there were very few initial applications it would be easy for jurisdictions to slow-walk the process and make it essentially moot.  If there are a LOT of initial applications there will be a lot of "oh shit" moments in the police departments and courts that will force them to make changes, so for those who can spare the time/expense to go through the process, I encourage it.

With that said, I don't think anyone HAS to get a carry permit.  There are guys at my club who give a LONG list of reasons they're NOT getting a permit whenever the topic comes up.  IMO there's no need to justify the decision either way.  Hell, I know plenty of people in Florida and Texas who are gun guys but have never carried.

Getting one isn't a badge of honor or something that makes you a bigger 2nd Amendment supporter than anyone else, just as not getting one doesn't make you less of a "gun guy".

The cost may not be prohibitive for you or me. However, 2A is a right, not a privilege. Not to mention, some people have an increased need for self-protection. Especially lower income people that have the misfortune of living in high crime areas. Perhaps you and I WANT to exercise our rights but there are plenty that NEED to exercise their right.

When the government makes the exercise of a right expensive to do and lengthy (the application) process, that's a violation of our rights. And we all know that the cost, requirements, and application time are active deterrents, and that does make it a violation of our constitutional rights.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, g17owner said:

The cost may not be prohibitive for you or me. However, 2A is a right, not a privilege. Not to mention, some people have an increased need for self-protection. Especially lower income people that have the misfortune of living in high crime areas. Perhaps you and I WANT to exercise our rights but there are plenty that NEED to exercise their right.

When the government makes the exercise of a right expensive to do and lengthy (the application) process, that's a violation of our rights. And we all know that the cost, requirements, and application time are active deterrents, and that does make it a violation of our constitutional rights.

No need for the soapbox. 

I'm merely articulating why I agree with flooding the system now.

I'd much prefer Constitutional carry.

30 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

I totally agree. The more applications that are submitted the better. It will flood the courts and the judges will be overwhelmed. At that point they'll be forced to take action and make a change. 

The cost could be a deciding factor to some and that's totally understandable. But the ones that sit and complain about the restrictions and the what ifs associated with carrying. 

My breakdown of the whole process is as follows:

Qualification: $107

Fingerprints: $58

Money order: $50

Notary: $10

50 rounds of ammo: $20

Total: $245 

I encourage anyone who is willing to carry to apply sooner than later as it will help us with our battle in fixing a broken system.