Jump to content
CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, 10X said:

And now, I wait.

At least your in Morris and looks  like they are issuing permits.  take a look at Mercer, tomorrow will be 70 calendar days or 49 work days for me. Looks like half the counties dragging their feet according the Krdshrk's map.

 

 

NJ Counties 9-19-22.png

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • FacePalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, FXDX said:

At least your in Morris and looks  like they are issuing permits.  take a look at Mercer, tomorrow will be 70 calendar days or 49 work days for me. Looks like half the counties dragging their feet according the Krdshrk's map.

 

 

NJ Counties 9-19-22.png

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And the map is optimistic, at that. Cape May County, at least, should be red, not green...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, FXDX said:

At least your in Morris and looks  like they are issuing permits.  take a look at Mercer, tomorrow will be 70 calendar days or 49 work days for me. Looks like half the counties dragging their feet according the Krdshrk's map.

 

 

NJ Counties 9-19-22.png

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Burlington and Camden should be RED..none have been given out as the courts "are waiting on guidelines" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

I believe that we will be updating Mercer soon.  There's a forum member who contacted me with an update the other day, but I don't want to call them out so as to respect their privacy.

then again there is always Sunday with Mr C's GFH podcast which seems to be the most reliable source. He mentioned Mercer and others counties on the 9/4 or 9/11 podcast but nothing last week so we'll see... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, FXDX said:

then again there is always Sunday with Mr C's GFH podcast which seems to be the most reliable source. He mentioned Mercer and others counties on the 9/4 or 9/11 podcast but nothing last week so we'll see... 

My info is of last night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, YankeeSC said:

Guys the purpose of this thread is to express one's experience in applying for a carry permit, let's try to stick to the topic please.

True, my mistake I thought I posted in the correct location. I have removed the post and placed it where it belongs.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I have noticed too, is there is a difference in response between the police and the courts. Some courts more open to issuing then others. Some police more open and helpful in accepting applications then others as well. Huge mismatch.

Also one should take a lot at the pollution densities of each county and the balance of one county with another county and how they rate red or green.

one thing I would like to point out, is several have mentioned a green county that should be red.

Green counties are green because there have been permits issued in those counties. Or at least reported as issued. Where as a red county has yet to report any permits being issued yet.

Example… Salem county is reported to have a population of about 64k,

48k registered voters. Of which 31% are democrat, and 30% are Republican. 

However their state local senator and both local state reps for their state government are all Republican. 
 

That being said, Salem county has yet to issue a permit to carry.

  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TDIguy said:

The Mods should probably boot this into its own thread. That said everyone knew it was coming and my only question would be if/when enacted will there be a carve out for the elites that already have their cc permits, nuff said...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TexasLTC said:

What I have noticed too, is there is a difference in response between the police and the courts. Some courts more open to issuing then others. Some police more open and helpful in accepting applications then others as well. Huge mismatch.

Also one should take a lot at the pollution densities of each county and the balance of one county with another county and how they rate red or green.

one thing I would like to point out, is several have mentioned a green county that should be red.

Green counties are green because there have been permits issued in those counties. Or at least reported as issued. Where as a red county has yet to report any permits being issued yet.

Example… Salem county is reported to have a population of about 64k,

48k registered voters. Of which 31% are democrat, and 30% are Republican. 

However their state local senator and both local state reps for their state government are all Republican. 
 

That being said, Salem county has yet to issue a permit to carry.

Find me someone (or evidence thereof) who has been issued in Cape May County. I am in a FB group "Cape May County CCW" where convincing evidence (direct, not hearsay) has been presented indicating that hearings are to be held for the first group of applicants on October 7 in Cape May County Superior Court before Judge J. Christopher GIbson. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FXDX said:

The Mods should probably boot this into its own thread. That said everyone knew it was coming and my only question would be if/when enacted will there be a carve out for the elites that already have their cc permits, nuff said...

There already is a thread:

2022-2023 A4502 the bill establishes sensitive areas in which possession of firearm is prohibited

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, samiam said:

Find me someone (or evidence thereof) who has been issued in Cape May County. I am in a FB group "Cape May County CCW" where convincing evidence (direct, not hearsay) has been presented indicating that hearings are to be held for the first group of applicants on October 7 in Cape May County Superior Court before Judge J. Christopher GIbson. 

Not that we needed it but that likely ends the consensus from earlier on (here on the forum) that permits must be granted in 60 calendar days. I’m lucky to get a P2P in our town within 60 calendar days so I knew going in I wouldn’t likely hear back until October.

Take the map out of the equation and its obvious towns & counties are doing what they always do which is their own thing based on the wiggle room the state allows them.

So your Cape May County Oct 7  date will be 84 calendar days for myself or 59 works days which is likely the actual 60 day time period in use (like it or not) by counties that are slow walking the process. They could probably even cite a grace period for themselves when it goes beyond 60 work days so buckle-up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, FXDX said:

Not that we needed it but that likely ends the consensus from earlier on (here on the forum) that permits must be granted in 60 calendar days....  They could probably even cite a grace period for themselves when it goes beyond 60 work days so buckle-up.

I don't think anyone has ever said you should have a permit in your hand within 60 days.

If you read the statute (N.J.S.A. 2C:58-4), you submit your application to the local chief of police (or local NJSP barracks  if you don't have a PD or are from out of State). The investigation by that agency must be complete and your application denied for cause or forwarded to the County Superior Court for approval within 60 days.  Some say the 60 day clock starts when you submit the application to the agency, some say the clock starts once your fingerprint results are delivered to the agency and your application is truly complete.

Once it arrives at the court, most are provided to the County Prosecutor's Office for review.  Once the PO has no objection, the court typically issues the permit. If there are any hiccups, the judge can hold a hearing.  

There is a JAD court directive #06-19 (not a law or reg) that judges should review permit to carry applications submitted at least once every 30 days.  A PO should state any objections they have within 14 days, and a permit should be issued or denied with 30 days.

In theory, the process should take no more than 90 days, start to finish, notwithstanding "extraordinary circumstances." 

While I am sure the "system" suspected this as coming, they weren't officially notified until June 24, 2022.  As a result, the system, from the local PD to the Judge, had previously dealt with a small handful of permit applications - mostly from armored car guards and security officers who presented with a letter of need.  I don't think it is unreasonable for these agencies to develop new systems to handle the influx of permit applications flooding the system. Be patient, calling and complaining is not going to get them processed any quicker - they know what they need to do.

 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FXDX said:

Not that we needed it but that likely ends the consensus from earlier on (here on the forum) that permits must be granted in 60 calendar days. I’m lucky to get a P2P in our town within 60 calendar days so I knew going in I wouldn’t likely hear back until October.

Take the map out of the equation and its obvious towns & counties are doing what they always do which is their own thing based on the wiggle room the state allows them.

So your Cape May County Oct 7  date will be 84 calendar days for myself or 59 works days which is likely the actual 60 day time period in use (like it or not) by counties that are slow walking the process. They could probably even cite a grace period for themselves when it goes beyond 60 work days so buckle-up.

The applicant must agree to any "grace period" beyond the 60 days, as per the statute for carry permit apps. 

 

I would say the 60 days starts once a completed application is in the hands of the administrative agent(PD, NJSP).. that would mean prints are done etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, JRT said:

I don't think anyone has ever said you should have a permit in your hand within 60 days.

If you read the statute (N.J.S.A. 2C:58-4), you submit your application to the local chief of police (or local NJSP barracks  if you don't have a PD or are from out of State). The investigation by that agency must be complete and your application denied for cause or forwarded to the County Superior Court for approval within 60 days.  Some say the 60 day clock starts when you submit the application to the agency, some say the clock starts once your fingerprint results are delivered to the agency and your application is truly complete.

Once it arrives at the court, most are provided to the County Prosecutor's Office for review.  Once the PO has no objection, the court typically issues the permit. If there are any hiccups, the judge can hold a hearing.  

There is a JAD court directive #06-19 (not a law or reg) that judges should review permit to carry applications submitted at least once every 30 days.  A PO should state any objections they have within 14 days, and a permit should be issued or denied with 30 days.

In theory, the process should take no more than 90 days, start to finish, notwithstanding "extraordinary circumstances." 

While I am sure the "system" suspected this as coming, they weren't officially notified until June 24, 2022.  As a result, the system, from the local PD to the Judge, had previously dealt with a small handful of permit applications - mostly from armored car guards and security officers who presented with a letter of need.  I don't think it is unreasonable for these agencies to develop new systems to handle the influx of permit applications flooding the system. Be patient, calling and complaining is not going to get them processed any quicker - they know what they need to do.

 

As you say, 29C:58-4 paragraph "c" allows 60 days for PD/NJSP consideration, with a presumption of approval if exceeded. My understanding is that is 60 days from the moment the PD accepts the application; if they don't want to accept without fingerprints, they should stipulate and apply that practice up front, not weasel-word it after the fact as justification for further delay. NJSP is effectively by policy forestalling fingerprinting until after submission, by virtue of the fact that their CCN formulation includes the submission date, so I think any reasonable interpretation has the 60 day clock running for those applications from time of submission, fingerprints notwithstanding. Glenn A. Grant's directive 06-19 gives the court 30 days to review, with some caveats. It allows the court to involve the prosecutor (based on prevailiing practice as of directive issuance), but creates a 14 day limit for that party to respond, with a presumption favorable to the applicant if that period is exceeded. That 14 days runs consecutively with the 30 days allotted to the court. One item infequently mentioned, however, is that the directive allows 14 days more for the court to reach a decision on approval or denial of an application. So, according to my reading of the directive, the court has a maximum of 44 days to approve or deny after receiving an application, not 30 days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

The applicant must agree to any "grace period" beyond the 60 days, as per the statute for carry permit apps. 

 

I would say the 60 days starts once a completed application is in the hands of the administrative agent(PD, NJSP).. that would mean prints are done etc. 

Again my point was towns & counties are doing their own thing. It’s a fairly simple overview and if people want to read more into then that then that's on them. Time limits mentioned in the statute are irrelevant if the towns are  being proactive and punching out permits well in advance of timelines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2022 at 2:22 PM, TexasLTC said:

Has anyone her who has applied t the NJSP Woodstown (Salem County) location either received their permits, or heard anything? 

Only thing I have heard is that my references have been contacted and interviewed on Monday. And that there were only 4 applications ahead of mine for them to be sent to the court for final approval. 
 

Anyone heard what Salem county judges are doing? Are they issuing? Holding? Hearings? H. I submitted my application, the Officer told me that IF there was a hearing it would be via zoom. Since partially I am a non-resident applicant from Texas.

I don’t know why they need to have me at the hearing. What else do they need to know.

Top Shot Development Group was one of two organizations doing the quals for people at the Quinton Sportsmen's Club.  They just posted on facebook yesterday that they just had customers from Salem County get their permits issued.  The post does not contain any other details like restrictions, court appearance requirements by zoom or in-person, or what specific PD they applied through.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Regular Guy said:

Top Shot Development Group was one of two organizations doing the quals for people at the Quinton Sportsmen's Club.  They just posted on facebook yesterday that they just had customers from Salem County get their permits issued.  The post does not contain any other details like restrictions, court appearance requirements by zoom or in-person, or what specific PD they applied through.  

Did the post mention whether the applicants who were issued permits applied through local PD or NJSP? There are some indications that NJSP currently has put all applications from Atlantic and Cape May Counties on hold. If that is indeed the case, it would be interesting to see if that is their current practice state-wide.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, FXDX said:

The Mods should probably boot this into its own thread. That said everyone knew it was coming and my only question would be if/when enacted will there be a carve out for the elites that already have their cc permits, nuff said...

Is this bill passed already? Or its under consideration?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...