https://www.federalpremium.com/rimfire/personal-defense-punch-rimfire/11-PD22L1.html

This is probably the best 22lr defensive round I have seen so far.

Not sure of the guns, I've never looked for a conceal carry 22lr so not entirely sure what is out there. As with most 22s though, reliability is heavily tied to the ammo used...

-Jim

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, almiz111 said:

Anybody have any info...

Is there a semi auto 22LR handgun suitable for CCW?  Obviously also would need a suitable holster.

Tnx.

No, that's just a sure way to get yourself killed.

But, if you absolutely have to use 22lr for a CCW gun, get a 22lr revolver, it won't jam. S&W 317. 

While a 22 pistol is not ideal for self defense, if it's the only cartridge one can put all 10 in the x-ring, it's the best choice for that individual.  No point in flailing around with a 357 magnum if the shooter can't hit the broad side of a barn from inside the barn.    Biggest drawback is winter and meth addicts.

Some people I know from another forum carry 22lr and 22mag, and they are okay with their choice.  They know it wont "blow the lungs out of the body" but are confident it will stop most carjackings or assaults.  After all, stopping the threat is the objective.  One uses a Ruger  revolver (I forget which) with a bobbed hammer, the other two carry Ruger's SR22 because it feels full size.  Ammo choice makes a big difference.  Paul Harrell did a few videos on the topic.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

In my mind, there are already too many small, completely concealable 9mm/.40 pistols on the market to even consider carrying a .22. 

True but not everybody can control a small 9 or .40 . . . If, for example, a small framed woman like my mother, is going to end up spraying .380 rounds all over the street during a carjacking, she (and everyone else) might be better off if she carried a .22.

26 minutes ago, EdF said:

True but not everybody can control a small 9 or .40 . . . If, for example, a small framed woman like my mother, is going to end up spraying .380 rounds all over the street during a carjacking, she (and everyone else) might be better off if she carried a .22.

Indeed.

Given the choice of .22lr or nothing, I'd go with the .22lr

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I would go with a .22 revolver,  Many are 7, 8 rounds depending on LR or mag,   I have a model 41, a mk2 ruger,  beretta m21  and a.22 sig conversion for my p229 each one only likes a certain brand ammo and are very picky as to ammo.

my s&w 617, and K22 always work with anything,  they are too big and heavy to carry but a s&w model 43c should be perfect in fact I am looking for one to match my 442

My take on carrying a 22.

If that's all one could handle that's what you carry.  End of story.

If you look at the Lucky Gunner ammo tests there's really little difference in penetration between 22lr, 22mag, and 25acp.  I'd pick a solid, probably a CCI Mini Mag, for better penetration.

The CCI ammo runs well in all my semiautomatics.

A revolver makes sense but if I'm carrying a j frame size revolver it's in 38 spl most of the time. Other times it's a 32 long or a 327 mag loaded with 32 H&R magnum. Both have adequate penetration. 327s have way too much penetration even in a 2".

If I'm carrying a 22 rf or 25 auto it's usually a backup to my main battery.

Stopping power is limited with a 22 or 25. Tactically, you need to shoot your opponent until they go down.  4,5,6 times if needed.  Not an IPSC double tap.  You may have to shoot a bag guy 4,5,6 times even with a 9mm, 40, or 45.

Another problem with small guns is bad guys sometimes don't believe they're real guns.  I know of an instance where the bad guy pulled a knife on an undercover.  There was some distance between them.  The undercover pulled a 25 auto.  The bad guy didn't believe it was a real gun until the U/C cranked a round into the sofa.  The bad guy dropped his knife.  Nobody wants to get shot, even with a 25.

FWIW

• Informative 2

Wouldn't recommend .22lr, but as other have said, it may be better than nothing.  Look into carrying Federal Punch ammo.  It's pretty much the only round that will consistently penetrate ballistics gel the 12-16" out of a hand gun.   Most .22LR HP ammo will not open up well out of handgun, and if it does it won't penetrate far so might as well go with a round nose designed for the job. Also there isn't a .22LR HP round you can legally carry in NJ anyway.  You may also want to go with something that has a longer barrel to get the most velocity out of the round.  

On 9/30/2022 at 7:31 PM, RUTGERS95 said:

22lr would be fine I mean, for almost 100yrs it caused the most deaths out of a handgun.  Not advocating for it but look at the pros; zero recoil, light, cheap to train, lots of options and low signature

Eh. If you are looking to kill the bad guy by sepsis, sure. But every time I see someone talk about 22 for defense I think of this case of a jewelry store robbery.  I forget if was an 8 or 10 round revolver, but the jewelry store owner got the bad guy with 8 rounds and got the first shot. The bad guy had a centerfire pistol (IIRC a .38 special) and missed with most rounds. The bad guy went to the hospital, the good guy went to the morgue. If you can't operate a 9mm well, you probably aren't operating a 22 great. And if you aren't using those features of the 22 to get shots to the brain or heart, the bad guy is probably going to do what they try to do until the adrenalin runs out. 

Once you have to move beyond brandishing, there's going to be a problem unless you are really lucky or really good or enough of both. 

48 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

Eh. If you are looking to kill the bad guy by sepsis, sure. But every time I see someone talk about 22 for defense I think of this case of a jewelry store robbery.  I forget if was an 8 or 10 round revolver, but the jewelry store owner got the bad guy with 8 rounds and got the first shot. The bad guy had a centerfire pistol (IIRC a .38 special) and missed with most rounds. The bad guy went to the hospital, the good guy went to the morgue. If you can't operate a 9mm well, you probably aren't operating a 22 great. And if you aren't using those features of the 22 to get shots to the brain or heart, the bad guy is probably going to do what they try to do until the adrenalin runs out. 

Once you have to move beyond brandishing, there's going to be a problem unless you are really lucky or really good or enough of both. 

yes and no but I get your point.  I'm not advocating for carrying a 22 but make zero mistake, they've put a lot of bodies in the dirt, are easy to learn, zero recoil and blast, fast easy follow shots and 40grs moving 1200fps in close range is going to give you a bad day.  Granted it's not penetrating 9-12 inches but just getting shot at is enough to stop most attacks on top of the fact that you less jerking and wrist play.   Me, I'm a 357 guy and don't think any handgun rd is better but I'm not carry a 6" 686 around either!  lol

Hell anyone that laughs at 22 won't even stand 10ft in front of someone with a bb gun to get shot much less a 22    lol