Jump to content
CMJeepster

S1801: Eliminates justifiable need requirement to obtain permit to carry handgun; requires comprehensive training to obtain handgun carry permit.

Recommended Posts

NJ Legislature (state.nj.us)

“New Jersey’s extremely restrictive concealed carry law is clearly unconstitutional for the same reason that New York’s law was just struck down by the Supreme Court,” Durr said.

“If legislative Democrats refuse to act proactively and responsibly as I have proposed to fix our unconstitutional concealed carry law, it’s clear they will be forced to by the courts,” he said.

“We need to seriously look at reforming our firearm laws in accordance with the court’s decisions,” said Assemblyman Hal Wirths, R-Sussex. “We are going to be ever vigilant because we do not trust the governor nor his administration to start doing the right thing."

------

As much as I've grown fond of Senator Durr, I'm not sure that 18 hours of mandatory training is necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

NJ Legislature (state.nj.us)

“New Jersey’s extremely restrictive concealed carry law is clearly unconstitutional for the same reason that New York’s law was just struck down by the Supreme Court,” Durr said.

“If legislative Democrats refuse to act proactively and responsibly as I have proposed to fix our unconstitutional concealed carry law, it’s clear they will be forced to by the courts,” he said.

“We need to seriously look at reforming our firearm laws in accordance with the court’s decisions,” said Assemblyman Hal Wirths, R-Sussex. “We are going to be ever vigilant because we do not trust the governor nor his administration to start doing the right thing."

------

As much as I've grown fond of Senator Durr, I'm not sure that 18 hours of mandatory training is necessary.

Yet another tool....  18hrs is very excessive.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The truth is that the legislature doesn't HAVE to do anything.  The AG already said that they will no longer require the justifiable need letter as part of applications.  For now, the rest of the requirements remain.  Anything that the legislature does is likely to screw things up further.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

I expected better from him

Remember . . . Whatever he proposes will still have to pass a Democrat led assembly, a Democrat led senate and be signed by a Democrat Governor.  Just how much do you think that he can get away with in one shot.  

Work to elect more Republicans around the state and see how much more you can get.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, EdF said:

Remember . . . Whatever he proposes will still have to pass a Democrat led assembly, a Democrat led senate and be signed by a Democrat Governor.  Just how much do you think that he can get away with in one shot.  

Work to elect more Republicans around the state and see how much more you can get.

I know, I know.  Long shot at best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, EdF said:

The truth is that the legislature doesn't HAVE to do anything.  The AG already said that they will no longer require the justifiable need letter as part of applications.  For now, the rest of the requirements remain.  Anything that the legislature does is likely to screw things up further.

They want to exercise their skills at that...

10 minutes ago, EdF said:

Remember . . . Whatever he proposes will still have to pass a Democrat led assembly, a Democrat led senate and be signed by a Democrat Governor.  Just how much do you think that he can get away with in one shot.  

Work to elect more Republicans around the state and see how much more you can get.

We do our part down here in South Jersey...

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

Yuck. 16 Hours falls into the realm of being prohibitive due to time and/or cost. I don't think I've had enough opportunity for 16 hours of range time all year :o 

It’s basically a three day class.   That puts it out of the “weekend” category unless they want two 8-hour days.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, voyager9 said:

It’s basically a three day class.   That puts it out of the “weekend” category unless they want two 8-hour days.  

I don't agree with mandated training, not because training is bad, but because the government controlling anything always makes it worse.

I did do a 2 day carbine class last weekend. We were on the range 8-5 both days in the sun in WV. It made for long days, but not something I'd avoid in future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...