CMJeepster

S1801: Eliminates justifiable need requirement to obtain permit to carry handgun; requires comprehensive training to obtain handgun carry permit.

NJ Legislature (state.nj.us)

“New Jersey’s extremely restrictive concealed carry law is clearly unconstitutional for the same reason that New York’s law was just struck down by the Supreme Court,” Durr said.

“If legislative Democrats refuse to act proactively and responsibly as I have proposed to fix our unconstitutional concealed carry law, it’s clear they will be forced to by the courts,” he said.

“We need to seriously look at reforming our firearm laws in accordance with the court’s decisions,” said Assemblyman Hal Wirths, R-Sussex. “We are going to be ever vigilant because we do not trust the governor nor his administration to start doing the right thing."

------

As much as I've grown fond of Senator Durr, I'm not sure that 18 hours of mandatory training is necessary.

41 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

NJ Legislature (state.nj.us)

“New Jersey’s extremely restrictive concealed carry law is clearly unconstitutional for the same reason that New York’s law was just struck down by the Supreme Court,” Durr said.

“If legislative Democrats refuse to act proactively and responsibly as I have proposed to fix our unconstitutional concealed carry law, it’s clear they will be forced to by the courts,” he said.

“We need to seriously look at reforming our firearm laws in accordance with the court’s decisions,” said Assemblyman Hal Wirths, R-Sussex. “We are going to be ever vigilant because we do not trust the governor nor his administration to start doing the right thing."

------

As much as I've grown fond of Senator Durr, I'm not sure that 18 hours of mandatory training is necessary.

Yet another tool....  18hrs is very excessive.....

The truth is that the legislature doesn't HAVE to do anything.  The AG already said that they will no longer require the justifiable need letter as part of applications.  For now, the rest of the requirements remain.  Anything that the legislature does is likely to screw things up further.

35 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

I expected better from him

Remember . . . Whatever he proposes will still have to pass a Democrat led assembly, a Democrat led senate and be signed by a Democrat Governor.  Just how much do you think that he can get away with in one shot.  

Work to elect more Republicans around the state and see how much more you can get.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EdF said:

Remember . . . Whatever he proposes will still have to pass a Democrat led assembly, a Democrat led senate and be signed by a Democrat Governor.  Just how much do you think that he can get away with in one shot.  

Work to elect more Republicans around the state and see how much more you can get.

I know, I know.  Long shot at best.

1 hour ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

Yuck. 16 Hours falls into the realm of being prohibitive due to time and/or cost. I don't think I've had enough opportunity for 16 hours of range time all year :o 

It’s basically a three day class.   That puts it out of the “weekend” category unless they want two 8-hour days.  

15 hours ago, voyager9 said:

It’s basically a three day class.   That puts it out of the “weekend” category unless they want two 8-hour days.  

I don't agree with mandated training, not because training is bad, but because the government controlling anything always makes it worse.

I did do a 2 day carbine class last weekend. We were on the range 8-5 both days in the sun in WV. It made for long days, but not something I'd avoid in future.