Old Glock guy

Truck guns now legal in NJ?

The statutes say possession of a handgun without first obtaining a permit to carry a handgun is a crime.

Possession of a rifle or shotgun with first obtaining an FPIC is a crime.

Possession of a loaded rifle or shotgun is a crime.

Note that for the last one there is no permit mentioned. You cannot possess a loaded long gun, full stop.

• Agree 5

34 minutes ago, samiam said:

Per the opinion that is circulating here that the NJ requirement that you qualify with any gun you carry will stand, I would strongly advise you to at least make sure that you find someone to qualify you with that particular long gun. That should be a piece of cake, but get the paper anyway. Also, if you are stopped and an LEO learns of the long gun in the car, I'd bet good money that he or she will err on the side of caution and at least take you down to the station, so you should probably be prepared for that eventuality. To me, it seems like a great strategy for somone who is longing to be a test case on just how far the Bruen decision has expanded the envelope in NJ. 

Posted this years ago when carrying a long gun in a car came up. Again, *not* talking about a *loaded* long gun. Incident itself happened in 2015

Can't say this would be the outcome for everyone, but I can assure you this is actually what happened and not "...my cousin's friend's father's barber said..."

"I used to carry an (unloaded) shotgun in my trunk at (almost) all times.  When I was in an accident (some kid ran a red light at 10PM a few days before Labor Day, nowhere near a range for that matter), the cop asked me something about the rifle case once.  He then proceeded to call it "THE ITEM" the entire rest of my interactions with him.  No asking for FID.  No asking to see it.  No asking anything at all about it, honestly.  He was more concerned with it being secured than anything else.

Him constantly talking about THE ITEM was one of the only funny things about that night..."

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Tunaman said:

The FID gives you the right to "purchase and carry" rifles and shotguns.  What that means in this state is anyones guess.

You don't have to guess at all. Just read the statutes. It's there in black and white.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

You don't have to guess at all. Just read the statutes. It's there in black and white.

Much more fun to create your own new laws and pass them off as facts from an expert.

"If YoU pErcHaSe eVeN a SinGLe .22 HaLloW PoiNT yOuR gOiNg tOo JaiL!"

(Misspellings added because these legal experts often seem to have problems with basic words)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tunaman said:

The point I was going for is that if you can carry a handgun loaded with a permit then why not a long gun with a permit(fid)

Stop trying to use logic in a political situation. It just does not work.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 2

I've contacted my State reps and requested they look into introducing a bill that will allow the sale of firearm liability insurance like USCCA. Please add your voice to the cause, it's insane they REQUIRE car insurance but refuse to ALLOW CCW insurance. Thanks.

17 hours ago, maintenanceguy said:

Because it's a "permit to carry a handgun" in NJ.

16 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

The statutes say possession of a handgun without first obtaining a permit to carry a handgun is a crime.

Possession of a rifle or shotgun with first obtaining an FPIC is a crime.

Possession of a loaded rifle or shotgun is a crime.

Note that for the last one there is no permit mentioned. You cannot possess a loaded long gun, full stop.

Not the answer I was hoping for, but yes, makes sense. 

12 hours ago, revenger said:

how long does it really take to snap a mag into your rifle or shells into your shot gun.    its not like your gonna swing a long arm around your passenger compartment.

This hinges on the eternal discussion of whether or not it's OK to have loaded mags in your car.  For now, I'm going with the unloaded shotgun with a bag of shells nearby. 

16 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

whether or not it's OK to have loaded mags in your car. 

If I am not mistaken, in another thread about transporting to and from range.  I believe it was determined that driving to the range with loaded mags stored separately from the firearm was not illegal based on some case that determined a loaded magazine is not a firearm, it is an accessory to a firearm.

If someone was driving around with no firearm and three loaded mags, they are not transporting three firearms.  If they are loaded with hollow points or wad cutters, that's a different animal..

Behind the seat in plain view? stop for a big gulp! What about the in plain view? Doesn't matter if loaded or unloaded. Stop for gas, lib attendant will see an automatic weapon with 100 rd mag loaded with baby killers and call the staties on you. Says you were talking up about killing! BAD IDEA TO CARRY long gun in vehicle, unless trunk!!

3 hours ago, 15636215 said:

Behind the seat in plain view? stop for a big gulp! What about the in plain view? Doesn't matter if loaded or unloaded. Stop for gas, lib attendant will see an automatic weapon with 100 rd mag loaded with baby killers and call the staties on you. Says you were talking up about killing! BAD IDEA TO CARRY long gun in vehicle, unless trunk!!

yeah personally i keep it locked unloaded in the trunk in a truck vault with mags in a backpack. 

While legal to even have it on the back seat, openly advertising a firearm is stupid. Also, never leave one in a car for extended periods of time or overnight. Most firearms are stolen from cars that are broken into. Even though I have a truck vault which is fairly secure, I'd never leave it in overnight

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

AOW is not a long gun.

Exactly.

If we weren't getting handgun carry permits, I would say the most compact option for a truck gun would be a Mossberg 590M with a folding stock and a loaded mag nearby.

• Like 1