revenger

qualification thread

I did HQC-1 quals with ReloaderzNJ. Really nice, clean and professional place. They were super nice, detailed in instructions and even did notary onsite.

Full HQC-1 by the book. Starting at 25 yards and down to 1 yard. 60 rounds. Pass score is 48 (80%).   Holster, support hand shooting, strong hand shooting, kneeling .. the whole nine yards.

I just qualified at Shooters Sporting Center, standard FBI-Q target 30 rounds, 10 ea. 5-7.5-10 yards, only need an 80% to pass. FBI-Q.jpg.e28afcc9aed55845041f92c04d7f9d0c.jpgHeavy fiber board targets, couldn't bring it home, but I had a 6" spread, no reload drill, no support hand shooting. Conducted by retired State Police Officer. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ShootersShooter said:

I just qualified at Shooters Sporting Center, standard FBI-Q target 30 rounds, 10 ea. 5-7.5-10 yards, only need an 80% to pass. FBI-Q.jpg.e28afcc9aed55845041f92c04d7f9d0c.jpgHeavy fiber board targets, couldn't bring it home, but I had a 6" spread, no reload drill, no support hand shooting. Conducted by retired State Police Officer. 

Did you draw from a holster or the ready position

No, straight forward low ready to firing position, two hand. I was untimed but it is too easy to do steady fire& some double taps. If you shoot once a month you should have no trouble taking the course offered there with very good results. Everyone in a class of 20 passed, one person was advised to get some additional training. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ShootersShooter said:

No, straight forward low ready to firing position, two hand. I was untimed but it is too easy to do steady fire& some double taps. If you shoot once a month you should have no trouble taking the course offered there with very good results. Everyone in a class of 20 passed, one person was advised to get some additional training. 

No info on there website  do you know there schedule for Qualifier , How long did it take and How much did they charge. Thank You 

Went to rtsp in union yesterday. 3,5,7,10, and 15 yards. Timed but nothing crazy. Holstered, fire 5, mag change, reholster, fire five more, clear and holster. Same at each distance. Were super friendly. FBI q target. 

Hoping that since they’re listed on state police website for qualifications I won’t run into any issues. They even list the state code that this qual satisfies on the paperwork. 

Handed completed app in at lunch today in Mt. Laurel. They were super friendly as always. They said once fingerprints are back the chief will approve asap. After that it’s out of their hands. Going for fingerprinting tomorrow. Have to go to Philly as their were no appointments available in a 50 mile radius to me in nj for a month. Sucks but whatever. Trying to get this done asap before they move the goal post on us. Fingers crossed. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, ToddD said:

Went to rtsp in union yesterday. 3,5,7,10, and 15 yards. Timed but nothing crazy. Holstered, fire 5, mag change, reholster, fire five more, clear and holster. Same at each distance. Were super friendly. FBI q target. 

Hoping that since they’re listed on state police website for qualifications I won’t run into any issues. They even list the state code that this qual satisfies on the paperwork. 

Handed completed app in at lunch today in Mt. Laurel. They were super friendly as always. They said once fingerprints are back the chief will approve asap. After that it’s out of their hands. Going for fingerprinting tomorrow. Have to go to Philly as their were no appointments available in a 50 mile radius to me in nj for a month. Sucks but whatever. Trying to get this done asap before they move the goal post on us. Fingers crossed. 

which one of these threads had the link to that site again? the state list that is? i'm set up to take qualifications this weekend with a trainer i've shot with over the last 4 or 5 years......

2 hours ago, ShootersShooter said:

Shooters info is on their Facebook page

Thank You SS got it.  Does anyone know the procedure for adding a pistol after the initial qualifier I purchased a pistol and I'm waiting on the Permits I have another carry gun I can qualify with but would probably prefer to carry the pistol I'm waiting on. Also does Shooters qualifier start at 25 yrds like some of the other ranges

At Shooters you bring the guns you want beside your qualifier and they add to the certificate form. Lines for 4 firearms. I qualified with my Shield Plus 9mm , added Bersa Thunder .380 and Ruger LCPll .380. The instructor wasn't sure if between the time 1st issued and renewal it would be possible to add one to the permit. I had asked because I have another 9mm ordered & not received yet that I would have added. You fill in Brand, Model and caliber, and add the serial numbers as he reads them off the firearm to you. Then he signs and dates your registration form and gives you a copy. Took me longer to type this than completing the form. Paul, retired SPO did not require 25 yards.

51 minutes ago, ShootersShooter said:

At Shooters you bring the guns you want beside your qualifier and they add to the certificate form. Lines for 4 firearms. I qualified with my Shield Plus 9mm , added Bersa Thunder .380 and Ruger LCPll .380. The instructor wasn't sure if between the time 1st issued and renewal it would be possible to add one to the permit. I had asked because I have another 9mm ordered & not received yet that I would have added. You fill in Brand, Model and caliber, and add the serial numbers as he reads them off the firearm to you. Then he signs and dates your registration form and gives you a copy. Took me longer to type this than completing the form. Paul, retired SPO did not require 25 yards.

Interesting.

So you shot the qual (successfully) with one pistol and they then added the rest to the list?

Was there an extra charge for this or just a flat fee for the qual?

The Instructor signing the qual paper supposedly have some discretion as to signing off on "similar" firearms using one qual shooting.  Spirit of the requirement is to ensure the applicant is familiar and competent with the firearm they are carrying.  Are all striker fired pistols are same ? Up to the Instructor.

On 7/6/2022 at 11:42 AM, ShootersShooter said:

I'm scheduled there later this month...Is there any shooting from the draw start position?

Edit, never mind I noticed you answered another poster on this...thx

21 hours ago, ShootersShooter said:

Are they savvy enough to know that the serial number is on the frame and not the slide/barrel? ...The reason I ask, I have a Walther PPQ in 9mm which after I had it for a while I updated the slide/barrel (perfectly legal without a permit), but both the slide and barrel have a number on it (European manufacture do this) which of course doesn't match the one on the frame of the gun/or my original permit. These numbers on the slide/barrel have nothing to do with the legal serial number of the firearm.

(I'll be qualifying at Shooters later this month.)

22 hours ago, ShootersShooter said:

Thanks again, last "dumb" question...Did they let you keep your other guns with you in the shooting booth while you were shooting the qualification, or did they make you store them in another room/area?

56 minutes ago, ShootersShooter said:

I had them all in my bag, the bag went into the range with me. The only gun out was the one I qualified with. Only time they were out was when the instructor recorded the SSN's after everyone qualified.

Thanks, good to know...My military "programming" is happy now :-).

I see lot of discussion around type of quals from different ranges, spending more money on "preparing", training etc.  My experience has been that the quals offered by various ranges as of now are NOT difficult to pass.  Barring edge cases, improperly maintained firearm or shooter disabilities, most of these quals do not require any preparation.  So my suggestion is not to waste any more money (on training, prepping etc) than absolutely necessary.  Again, just my personal opinion. Good luck.

Related to the qualification thread. Found this over at ARFCOM. NJ law says the following:

2021 New Jersey Revised Statutes
Title 2C - The New Jersey Code of Criminal Justice
Section 2C:58-4 - Permits to carry handguns.

Universal Citation: NJ Rev Stat § 2C:58-4 (2021)

2C:58-4 Permits to carry handguns. 

2C:58-4. a. Scope and duration of authority. Any person who holds a valid permit to carry a handgun issued pursuant to this section shall be authorized to carry a handgun in all parts of this State, except as prohibited by subsection e. of N.J.S.2C:39-5. One permit shall be sufficient for all handguns owned by the holder thereof, but the permit shall apply only to a handgun carried by the actual and legal holder of the permit.

This says to me, qualify with whatever you want and carry whatever you want so long as you legally own them. And you can't carry someone else's handgun.

Thoughts?

1 minute ago, Xtors said:

Related to the qualification thread. Found this over at ARFCOM. NJ law says the following:

.. One permit shall be sufficient for all handguns owned by the holder thereof, but the permit shall apply only to a handgun carried by the actual and legal holder of the permit.

This says to me, qualify with whatever you want and carry whatever you want so long as you legally own them. And you can't carry someone else's handgun.

Thoughts?

Legal Eagles can interpret that different ways. But, personally, that will be least of our worries for now.

4 hours ago, CJack said:

So my suggestion is not to waste any more money (on training, prepping etc) than absolutely necessary.  Again, just my personal opinion. Good luck.

This is some of the worst advice I have ever seen on this forum.

Money and time spent on a high stakes life saving defensive skill with abilities that degrade quickly without regular sustainment training is never, ever a waste. 

It’s not enough to just meet the minimum. We should always strive to improve. Always be a student.

Be good
Stay safe
Get training

Be an asset, not a liability.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1