revenger

qualification thread

1 minute ago, 10X said:

I called Reloaderz, in north Jersey, to ask about an option to qualify with more than one gun, since they don't list that option on their website.  I was told that if the guns are substantially similar (both revolvers, both striker fired, both hammer fired) you can qualify with one and they'll list both the permit.  They want you to bring in both guns with proof of ownership, though.

I've not actually gone there to qualify, I don't know if you can push beyond the two gun limit, or how flexible they are on 'substantially similar'.   For example could one qualify with a big honking G34 and then have a little G43 listed on the permit as well?  They shoot the full HQC-1 course, and while any of the little defensive guns should be accurate enough to keep all shots on the Q target, it does get easier to do so at 25 yards if you have the extra sight radius.

Stop by and you wont be disappointed. Only complaint I saw about them here is regarding some PD wanting the qual letter in the same format / verbiage as GFH and ReloaderZ refused.

23 minutes ago, samiam said:

I'm scheduled for qualification at Shooters with my SP101 next Tuesday at 9 AM. I was assured of what has been reported here: no holster drill; no kneeling; no time limits; max distance 10 yards. I will go to SJCC in Winslow (where I am a member) tomorrow for some shootng practice at 10 yards and closer. I'm fairly optimistic about qualfying under those conditions. Obviously this won't be a substitute for holster drill, which I need badly (need to find a better holster first) but now I can do that while my application is making its leisurely way through the system. 

Did you ask about accommodations for revolvers?

They also must have changed things or there was a misunderstanding on the phone with me. When I called to schedule mine, she asked what date I wanted. I said the next available Saturday. She said they are only running them on Saturday. 

I qualified at Reloaderz. This is the exact policy they emailed to us before the course was taken:

1. Qualifying Guns: 

The qualification form is currently limited to 4 serial guns.

You may qualify with two-gun types (this limit is to prevent the qualification from taking too long)

1. hammer-fire
    2. striker fire
    3. revolver

You only have to shoot one course of fire with one gun of a respective category in order to be qualified for several guns of the same category. So it is possible to qualify you for 4 guns after shooting just one course of fire (if they are all the same firearm type).

Example: if you have a Glock 17, a Glock 19, and a Sig Sauer P320, if you pass with one of them, we will qualify you for all three, despite only shooting one of them. This is because all three of the aforementioned handguns belong to the same category: striker-fired handguns.

Example: If you have a revolver and a hammer-fired gun, you will have to conduct two separate courses of fire, as they belong to different categories.

Disclaimer: Again, the instructor conducting the qualification has full discretion, as the liability is assumed by them. If the instructor deems two handguns of the same category are not substantially similar, either due to caliber, size, or some other factor, then he or she has the authority to require you to shoot an additional course of fire if the time permits it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, samiam said:

I'm scheduled for qualification at Shooters with my SP101 next Tuesday at 9 AM. I was assured of what has been reported here: no holster drill; no kneeling; no time limits; max distance 10 yards. I will go to SJCC in Winslow (where I am a member) tomorrow for some shootng practice at 10 yards and closer. I'm fairly optimistic about qualfying under those conditions. Obviously this won't be a substitute for holster drill, which I need badly (need to find a better holster first) but now I can do that while my application is making its leisurely way through the system. 

You also need to practice shooting with your support hand...just because....as well and firearm manipulations...try to be ambidextrous for real life...just my opinion..  GL !

2 hours ago, samiam said:

My home range & I'm usually there Tues. Morning at 9 for the range, sitting on the bench waiting for them to open They may even open a few minutes early for those in the class. No pressure, be calm, do well & best of luck.

2 hours ago, Kadayo said:

I qualified at Reloaderz. This is the exact policy they emailed to us before the course was taken:

1. Qualifying Guns: 

Does Reloaderz require factory ammo for qualification (some ranges do), or are reloads allowed (some ranges don't seem to care)?

6 minutes ago, 10X said:

Does Reloaderz require factory ammo for qualification (some ranges do), or are reloads allowed (some ranges don't seem to care)?

Only thing that was mentioned about ammo was no steel core or steel cased ammo.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Alex V said:

Passed with my 2 guns this morning at Gun For Hire.  Was pretty easy. 

They have a nice facility, it was my first time there. 

Now I have to figure out the next time I am in NJ so I can do my fingerprints. 

Identogo have offices in other States too. You don't necessarily have to come back to NJ.

5 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

Identogo have offices in other States too. You don't necessarily have to come back to NJ.

Agreed, but they don't offer the NJ permit required service code (2F164B) in my state.  They only offer TSA PreCheck and some HAZMAT stuff. 

I will be in PA in September for a Costa class, since it's a night class I will find a place around there to do my prints in the morning, then on the way home drive through NJ to drop off the paperwork at the NJSP station by the Delaware Memorial Bridge.  The station told me I have to have my prints done before dropping off the paperwork otherwise I would have dropped it off today.  

6 hours ago, samiam said:

Just so you know, that wasn't my experience at Shooters in Little Egg Harbor earlier this week.  The instructor was very nice, easy to like, and generally agreeable.  The course of fire was not difficult but the instructor felt that there was a need to put everyone under pressure.  Not sure why.

There was some yelling, time limits, two shot and three shot drills. Commands to "holster" frequently which were handled by laying your gun on the counter - no actual holsters.   There was no time set aside to reload, you had to reload as you were being kind-of yelled at to shoot "three more rounds" or whatever the drill of the moment was.  I had a compact .380 since I thought you needed to qualify with what you carried and only had two 6 round mags.  I struggled to keep up and missed taking a few shots.   To be fair, the yelling wasn't drill-sargent-in-your-face style yelling but I don't know why it was needed at all.  It was also difficult to hear commands over the shooting with electric ear protection because every shot shuts down your ear muffs for half a second and we were shooting fast so you could probably only hear 1/3 of the time.

Shots were taken at lots of different distances and I don't think we actually shot out to 15 yards, probably closer to 10 or 11yds max.  I think we shot 30 rounds according to the ammo left in my box but I didn't count so I'm guessing.  Everyone passed.  I saw everyone else's target and never counted hits but I think the instructor may have been generous in scoring.

That said, after the shooting, which I didn't particularly enjoy, the instructor was once again very helpful, friendly, and accommodating.  We could put up to 4 handguns on the forms and as I said, everyone passed.

If you're going to shooters I recommend: (1) arrive 15 minutes early to pay - the class starts on time! (2) Bring the serial numbers of the guns you want to include on the form. You can't uncase your guns in the classroom and you won't have time in the range to write the numbers down, (3) Bring enough magazines to shoot 30 rounds and start loading them as soon as you get into the range.  You won't have much time before the shooting starts.

• Informative 1

4 hours ago, samiam said:

My muffs are the old-fashioned kind that attenuate sound constantly. T'will be interesting if I get an instructor in the same mode as the one you had. The guy on the phone claimed the Tuesday qual would be "pretty easy", which doesn't seem to describe your experience very well. We shall see....

I would say the qualification was easy, at least easy to pass - considering the fact that everyone passed and accurate shooting didn't seem to be scrutinized especially harshly.  I think passing the qualifier was easy.  Enduring the qualifier wasn't.

• Informative 1

I just saw a new (to me at least) CCW course offering from We Shoot in Lakewood. The 2022 NRA 50State CCW Qualifying class. This from the NRA's American Rifleman digital site:

NRA Launches 50-State NRA CCW Course | An Official Journal Of The NRA (americanrifleman.org)

• Informative 1

3 hours ago, ShootersShooter said:

I just saw a new (to me at least) CCW course offering from We Shoot in Lakewood. The 2022 NRA 50State CCW Qualifying class. This from the NRA's American Rifleman digital site:

NRA Launches 50-State NRA CCW Course | An Official Journal Of The NRA (americanrifleman.org)

From the link:

"The NRA CCW Course, created for citizens who currently do not have a CCW permit, will vary in duration from one hour to 16 hours, and will follow one or more of 10 modules, to be determined by the certified NRA CCW Instructor. "

That's concerning to me.

I appreciate the NRA's effort to add standardization, but there should be NO requirement at all.  I sat through the hour long course (about 7 minutes of which was shooting) because it checks a box in NJ and is currently the law of the land, but 16 hours is inexcusable IMO...

24 minutes ago, CJack said:

NRA is trying to make a buck off this.

The cynical side of me agrees.

A bunch of new people would pay to get 'certified' to provide the new training, trainers have to purchase the materials, certificates have to be paid for, NRA gets a fee for each person who signs up, etc, etc.

All the article says is that the NRA has set up various courses that would satisfy 50 states varying requirements and are a GUIDLINE for instructors to choose from. Which ones the individual states require and/or accept would be up to the individual instructor to pick & charge for.