revenger

qualification thread

Just now, samiam said:

You can call my number for that if you'd like. I won't answer a number that isn't in my contacts, and if I can't match the number for a missed call by web search to something legit that interests me, the next stop is my block list and my provider's spam registry :) 

Don't worry, I only wrote it on the restroom wall of Drumthwacket.

12 hours ago, charleslee said:

So the permit is only good for two years, I wonder what the renewal w/ entail? Just a fee? Re fingerprinting? Re qualify? The whole freaking shebang? 

Yes.

On 8/10/2022 at 7:24 AM, Xtors said:

Also, I forgot to mention that at Shooters yesterday, the instructor said they wouldn't list more than one handgun on the sheet that goes to the state because some folks have been denied for having more than one. He then stated you could carry anything you legally own (as has been discussed here), which I questioned (also based on what has been discussed here) and he didn't seem to think it was going to be a problem. IANAL and YMMV...

I know what the statute says and I know what Bob's and Shooters are saying...but I am a little concerned it somehow won't matter, as others have said,  that we'll carry something other than what's specified on the permit and if we get pinched for whatever reason we'll be royally boned. 

Being out of state and able to buy pistols on a whim, I've amassed 5 or 6 handguns I'd potentially carry depending on season and mood. All of which I shoot regularly throughout the month. 

I signed up at Shooters so I could have 4 listed. Oh well.

Well, finally got to take my qualification test on Saturday at Shooters after a 4x week wait. It was a cool experience, Paul was our instructor and we went over Use of Force and then did our shooting. Probably about 8-10 ppl in the class, said its starting to slow up. Nice facility about an hr ride for me but it was all backroads. If in the South Jersey I recommend them. 

19 hours ago, CapGuns&SnapsKid said:

Well, finally got to take my qualification test on Saturday at Shooters after a 4x week wait. It was a cool experience, Paul was our instructor and we went over Use of Force and then did our shooting. Probably about 8-10 ppl in the class, said its starting to slow up. Nice facility about an hr ride for me but it was all backroads. If in the South Jersey I recommend them. 

Somebody here posted that Shooters now only allowed one firearm on the qualification form.  Something about the qualification being rejected by the PD if more than one gun was on the form - not sure I have  that exactly right.

Just curious what the details were. Was that discussed at all during your qualification?

5 hours ago, maintenanceguy said:

Somebody here posted that Shooters now only allowed one firearm on the qualification form.  Something about the qualification being rejected by the PD if more than one gun was on the form - not sure I have  that exactly right.

Just curious what the details were. Was that discussed at all during your qualification?

Paul said " as of 3x days ago you only have to put one pistol on form" this was on Saturday. And that once approved you will be able to carry what you want. this was out his mouth. I just dropped off my application @ the PD and my clerk said I'm looking at a month wait. 

• Like 1

The info from the State Police clearly states you can carry any firearm YOU own, but not one owned by anyone else. So, yes, you need only qualify with one, instructor's discretion to list others, when I took the class, it was said he wasn't sure about adding one later when I asked about a 4th firearm, I had on order but not received. 

8 hours ago, ShootersShooter said:

The info from the State Police clearly states you can carry any firearm YOU own, but not one owned by anyone else. So, yes, you need only qualify with one, instructor's discretion to list others, when I took the class, it was said he wasn't sure about adding one later when I asked about a 4th firearm, I had on order but not received. 

If you read the statute and admin code I believe it says you only have to qualify with one and you can carry any handgun you legally own.

If these people are charging more for qualifying with more than one its just a money making scheme.  GOD BLESS CAPITALISM!!!

1 hour ago, GRIZ said:

If you read the statute and admin code I believe it says you only have to qualify with one and you can carry any handgun you legally own.

If these people are charging more for qualifying with more than one its just a money making scheme.  GOD BLESS CAPITALISM!!!

It matters because a judge can issue a restricted type permit that lists the guns you can carry.  It's too long to cut and paste the whole thing again but there are two sections of the law that matter here.  Google NJSA 2C:58-4(a)  --- and ---  NJAC 13:54-2.7(a) and (b).

Several instructors are letting you "qualify" with multiple firearms if you shoot just one.  Others want to see you shoot each one before they will sign off that you can demonstrate "familiarity with safe handling and use" with each gun.  Since different guns are operated differently I think this is reasonable. 

8 hours ago, maintenanceguy said:

It matters because a judge can issue a restricted type permit that lists the guns you can carry.  It's too long to cut and paste the whole thing again but there are two sections of the law that matter here.  Google NJSA 2C:58-4(a)  --- and ---  NJAC 13:54-2.7(a) and (b).

Several instructors are letting you "qualify" with multiple firearms if you shoot just one.  Others want to see you shoot each one before they will sign off that you can demonstrate "familiarity with safe handling and use" with each gun.  Since different guns are operated differently I think this is reasonable. 

To be accurate, the judge can restrict the permit to a type of handgun. A specific handgun is not a type.

52 minutes ago, 15636215 said:

I was told a few years ago by my friend Glock rep. that they rescind carry permit at 70. JFYI!

It used to be that RPO could not have a permit over the age of 75 but that was struck down earlier this year. There is no age limit on civilian carry permits.

• Informative 1

4 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

It used to be that RPO could not have a permit over the age of 75 but that was struck down earlier this year. There is no age limit on civilian carry permits.

Figured that was gonna be struck down.

Canceling my qual at Shooters. Spoke to them today for clarification and was told:

1) 100 rounds

2) 10 yards and closer

3) mix of single/off hand/two hand shots

4) only qual and list one gun

Most of which is VERY different from what I was told a few weeks ago when I booked the appointment.

Was also told that they have 2 different instructors that do different things and they won't tell you which instructor you're getting and which protocol you're shooting. 

Not thrilled with the lack of transparency from them, so I'll go somewhere else and qual some other guns.

So it appears you may get the instructor that has you shoot 2 hand from ready and will list whatever guns you have. Or you'll get the other one that has you shoot single hand and lists one gun. And you won't know until you show up.

Super duper.

I don't care about the discrepancies with single hand shooting, I mostly care about the multiple gun thing.  With that, I might as well go somewhere and shoot multiple quals.

3 hours ago, psychwarfare said:

Canceling my qual at Shooters. Spoke to them today for clarification and was told:

1) 100 rounds

2) 10 yards and closer

3) mix of single/off hand/two hand shots

4) only qual and list one gun

Most of which is VERY different from what I was told a few weeks ago when I booked the appointment.

Was also told that they have 2 different instructors that do different things and they won't tell you which instructor you're getting and which protocol you're shooting. 

Not thrilled with the lack of transparency from them, so I'll go somewhere else and qual some other guns.

So it appears you may get the instructor that has you shoot 2 hand from ready and will list whatever guns you have. Or you'll get the other one that has you shoot single hand and lists one gun. And you won't know until you show up.

Super duper.

I don't care about the discrepancies with single hand shooting, I mostly care about the multiple gun thing.  With that, I might as well go somewhere and shoot multiple quals.

shawn t moore,......i thought he was on these forums, but if not, look him up on farcebook.......is doing quals too if you're looking for here in south jersey.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

shawn t moore,......i thought he was on these forums, but if not, look him up on farcebook.......is doing quals too if you're looking for here in south jersey.

Oh.  Now thats funny.   Blast from the past. Mt lion man.   No offense shawn.  You’re a good man. 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, ShootersShooter said:

I talked with two in Ocean county both were 43&45 days total from completed app submitted to the call to pick it up. 

That makes them one of the first applicants.  Now that there are more applications being processed, I wonder if it will slow down. 

58 minutes ago, samiam said:

I believe those details are left up to the individual instructor, not the range, since it is the instructor who is certifying your familiarity. Some of the details may have changed as the understanding of what the state will and won't approve has evolved. I had Dave Cope at Shooters. His CoF was very similar to what I have seen described by those who had Paul Whittaker there. I didn't keep a strict tally, but I shot way less than 100 rounds, probably closer to 50 (possibly as few as 40). Shots were from 5 to 15 yards, iirc (instructor moved the targets for all, so it was a bit difficult to keep track). Most shots were from two-handed ready position, although there were a small number of one-handed shots with strong and weak hands. Holstering was simulated by placing the gun on the bench in front. I had originally gone to an instructor at FMJ, and the CoF there was straight NJSP HQC2, without the NJSP allowed variation for 5-shot revolver. I would rate what we did at Shooters as far, far better, and more sensible, than what was required at FMJ. I would advise you to be careful that you aren't going from frying pan to fire...

And that makes sense.  The instructor is certifying familiarity with safe handling and use.  Those things are up to interpretation and it's okay with me that different instructors will want to see something different to be convinced of safe handling and use.   But it would be nice if the range you're buying the service from could tell you what you're buying.