revenger

qualification thread

5 hours ago, LeaveNJ said:

I have to disagree.

I understand your disagreement however there is no state that has a qualification any where near as difficult as NJ's.

Everywhere else you get a permit, or not in 26 states it is your responsibility to learn how to use your tools in a safe and professional manner should the need arise. If you make a mistake you will be held accountable.

I got good not because I got a PTC but because I wanted to be good. That doesn't mean I did not have the right to protect myself just because I was average.

I do encourage anyone who wants to carry to practice and practice and practice some more.

I just don't think the NJ government should be setting the bar as high as it is when there is little evidence from the states that have more lenient standards that PTC holders are defending themselves and injuring innocent bystanders. 

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, brucin said:

I scored a 97 with my p 938 basically same firearm. It's not easy by any means but 10 out of 10 at 25 yards is doable.

not to nitpick but if  you shot 50 rounds how did you get a 97% score?

if my math is correct 97% of 50 = 48.5 so where the half round come from,  just asking.

7 hours ago, FXDX said:

if my math is correct 97% of 50 = 48.5 so where the half round come from,  just asking.

That's what the instructor wrote on my qualification sheet. My guess is he rounded the number.

20 minutes ago, brucin said:

That's what the instructor wrote on my qualification sheet. My guess is he rounded the number.

I don't doubt that that is how they scored it. I'm just saying 50 is a even number therefore the score should have been even as well, good luck with your app.

Not to beat a dead horse, since it's been brought up here numerous times. I believe that the consensus is that there should be no proficiency requirement to exercise a constitutional right.

Many states do require some qualification hurdle. As this is still very new to NJ, I ain't complaining albeit it is still a little vague.

Now, with that out of the way. Anyone who considers themselves a gun "enthusiast" and "proficient" cannot then say that hitting a static Q target at 25 yds with their carry gun is too difficult. Practice more, rethink your carry platform, go to optics, etc.. There are plenty of options. 

3 hours ago, RichP said:

Not to beat a dead horse, since it's been brought up here numerous times. I believe that the consensus is that there should be no proficiency requirement to exercise a constitutional right.

Many states do require some qualification hurdle. As this is still very new to NJ, I ain't complaining albeit it is still a little vague.

Now, with that out of the way. Anyone who considers themselves a gun "enthusiast" and "proficient" cannot then say that hitting a static Q target at 25 yds with their carry gun is too difficult. Practice more, rethink your carry platform, go to optics, etc.. There are plenty of options. 

+1

I don't think you're beating a dead horse.

This thread is likely to go on for MANY more pages, so it's good to have this reminder pop back in from time to time...

10 hours ago, RichP said:

Agree but why stop there? You shouldn’t need to wait 30 days for local PD to process a P2P and then wait another week or two for a NICS check. We should be able to walk to your LGS, pick out want you want have them run the NICS, pay and walk out the door with your purchase. Why are NJ politicians now trying to change  all areas to “gun free zones” now that conceal carry on the way for the taxpayers when it was perfectly fine before when it was for the ruling class only? And WTF do you need a permit to purchase a BB gun for? It just goes on and on and on…. nuff said

Yep not beating  a dead horse i shot 25 yds down  to  1 yard  with holstering, reloads ,strong hand ,weak hand Kneeling  left and right barricade and lights out holding a flashlight  shooting  one handed  can't  wait to get my permit  definitely  earned  it.

On 10/5/2022 at 11:22 PM, FXDX said:

OK I'm an idiot. Looked at the Qualification score and it is 96% 

22 minutes ago, brucin said:

OK I'm an idiot. Looked at the Qualification score and it is 96% 

Thanks for clearing that up, I haven’t been able to sleep since :)

On a serious note hopefully your municipality & county will take care of business and punch it out for you. Next week I’ll be in the 90-day club  

In a very populous state like NJ demonstrating a small degree of proficiency to get a CCW license may be beneficial but this makes NJ a "may issue state" not a shall issue state like most others. The problem is that the so called Qual here is undefined and done very differently at various ranges. Some places insist that you qualify like the police and FBI agents while others just look for a basic level of proficiency, and safety that you will probably need to do just to shoot at a range.

So I am going Saturday for my Qualification at my club CJRP. But was told I can only do one Firearm. Would I wait and do the second that I plan to carry before submitting the application? Is it easy to add a firearm to the CCW after it’s issued? 

Thanks in advance for the advice.

lee 

It depends on your county. Some judges do not limit you to the one gun you qualify with or list firearms on your permit. Ocean county so far has had those limits and restrictions, but the judge handling applications has been changed, and I have not heard of the new judge's disposition on the matter.

2 hours ago, samiam said:

According to one of the 12 recipients of the first Cape May County PtC, Judge Christopher J. Gibson told him at his hearing that there is a meeting planned very soon among all of the NJ Superior Court judges and staff (and possibly including J.A. D. Glenn A. Grant) to create a uniform protocol for all courts in dealing with these applications and restrictions thereto. Hopefully that will work out in our favor. Also hopefully, it will cover the restriction to handguns used to qualify, one way or the other. The permits granted so far by Judge Gibson are checked "unrestricted", and "statutary restrictions only" is written on the back of the permit, nothing else. 

It is hoped that once you receive a carry permit, a similar pistol to the one that you past the qual with should be your choice to carry.

On 10/11/2022 at 3:39 PM, samiam said:

According to one of the 12 recipients of the first Cape May County PtC, Judge Christopher J. Gibson told him at his hearing that there is a meeting planned very soon among all of the NJ Superior Court judges and staff (and possibly including J.A. D. Glenn A. Grant) to create a uniform protocol for all courts in dealing with these applications and restrictions thereto. Hopefully that will work out in our favor. Also hopefully, it will cover the restriction to handguns used to qualify, one way or the other. The permits granted so far by Judge Gibson are checked "unrestricted", and "statutary restrictions only" is written on the back of the permit, nothing else. 

Some Judges have been putting major restrictions, some have been putting none.  This is NJ.  What makes you think this will be good for us?  My guess is that it will be to make sure there are as many restrictions as possible on all new permits.  Those who got them early without restrictions will probably be lucky.  

This will probably be a very dumb and foolish on my part but I'd rather ask now. One of my handgun permits has my mailing zip code, the other has my physical zip code. I know the importance of information matching. Should I even bother bringing the one with the physical zip code on my handgun permit?

I use my mailing zip for everything

20 minutes ago, hostak126 said:

This will probably be a very dumb and foolish on my part but I'd rather ask now. One of my handgun permits has my mailing zip code, the other has my physical zip code. I know the importance of information matching. Should I even bother bringing the one with the physical zip code on my handgun permit?

I use my mailing zip for everything

It's unlikely to even be noticed.

Also, several of my PtPP that I submitted as evidence that I owned the guns had a completely different address on them because people move and change address.

I'd say stop overthinking it.

I just passed qualifications through Gun for Hire. I have never shot at this location. For what was offered compared to other ranges running qualifications GfH's qualifier are 24 shots at 7yds, 14 at 10 yds, 6 at 15yds, and 6 at 25yds. Plus a notary is on site and the photo's required are also done on site as well. No issues with my application. Have your handgun permit(s) with you or a receipt of purchase, that's your proof of ownership.

Have extra copies of your handgun permit as the copies you have with you will be turned into the police with your application.

If you screw up your application there are extras at the front counter.

Personally I made 4 copies of the permit so I have a notarized copy for myself

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

18 hours ago, hostak126 said:

I just passed qualifications through Gun for Hire. I have never shot at this location. For what was offered compared to other ranges running qualifications GfH's qualifier are 24 shots at 7yds, 14 at 10 yds, 6 at 15yds, and 6 at 25yds. Plus a notary is on site and the photo's required are also done on site as well. No issues with my application. Have your handgun permit(s) with you or a receipt of purchase, that's your proof of ownership.

Have extra copies of your handgun permit as the copies you have with you will be turned into the police with your application.

If you screw up your application there are extras at the front counter.

Personally I made 4 copies of the permit so I have a notarized copy for myself

UPDATE: I have never done a money order up until today. Went to the post office and money orders can only be cash or debit card. There's a top portion of the money order that is tearable, that is your receipt.  I called my servicing PD (njsp sussex) to schedule an appointment to turn in my application. Firearms Sgt wasn't in and will be in on Monday at 10am.

At this point I can breath a little easier for the next couple of days even though I still need to schedule and turn in my packet and schedule fingerprints.