revenger

qualification thread

4 hours ago, samiam said:

I spent a bit over 1-1/2 hours putting 136 rounds into Q targets at 7, 10, & 15 yards at South Jersey Shooting Club this morning. I wouldn't say I shot great, but I shot tremendously better than I had last Sunday at FMJ. I had maybe a total of 12 rounds off target area but on paper. Usually those were from the first shot after changing distance; for some reason, those tended to go just a little high. This is the only practice I will be able to get before qualification at Shooters on Tuesday morning, but I'm reasonably confident that I can pass a CoF like what I've seen described by others who have gone there. I will be interested to see if they live up to their promise over the phone of a CoF that can be accomplished with a 5-shot revolver without reloading gymnastics. Descriptions of that aspect of the qual there seem to vary considerably between the reports I have read. I do have 2 speedloaders, and I did recover my proficiency this morning for loading without them, but I'd prefer not to push my luck too far in that regard...

You got this !!!!

There are a LOT of people in your corner...keep shooting, keep DRY firing..keep a POSITIVE attitude...failure is NOT an option!

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, samiam said:

I successfully qualified this morning at Shooters in LEH. Thanks to all here for their support. I had 3 shots off the Q target scoring area, 2 were just outside the line, one was about 3/4" high and left. All told, not too awful a performance. Instructor was Dave Cope, who apparently is the one who was previously criticized here for "yelling" or "barking". I had no issue or problem with the way he condicted the qualification. He explained in the classrom before we went to the range that he was going to be commanding the next item on the course of fire on the range in a loud voice. Then he went over what all of those commands were going to be in the classrom in detail. He was also very accommodating to the limitations of my 5-shot revolver. There was one participant who said after class that he "wasn't used to being yelled at like that". I'm guessing he is single :) Honestly, I didn't consider what he did to be at all excessive. I have trained in several martial arts forms in my life, and believe me, those instructors knew how to yell at students.  Now on to get my photos & notarization, submit my packet to NJSP, get fingerprinted, then settle in for what is hopefully not too long a wait. 

I was there too! I shot in the second group. Overall I thought it was done well and would recommend it to others looking to qualify. I had no problems hearing the commands during the COF either. I shanked one near the start but then I slowed myself down and had no further problems. Next I will call the local PD to setup a time to drop everything off!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, samiam said:

I successfully qualified this morning at Shooters in LEH. Thanks to all here for their support. I had 3 shots off the Q target scoring area, 2 were just outside the line, one was about 3/4" high and left. All told, not too awful a performance. Instructor was Dave Cope, who apparently is the one who was previously criticized here for "yelling" or "barking". I had no issue or problem with the way he condicted the qualification. He explained in the classrom before we went to the range that he was going to be commanding the next item on the course of fire on the range in a loud voice. Then he went over what all of those commands were going to be in the classrom in detail. He was also very accommodating to the limitations of my 5-shot revolver. There was one participant who said after class that he "wasn't used to being yelled at like that". I'm guessing he is single :) Honestly, I didn't consider what he did to be at all excessive. I have trained in several martial arts forms in my life, and believe me, those instructors knew how to yell at students.  Now on to get my photos & notarization, submit my packet to NJSP, get fingerprinted, then settle in for what is hopefully not too long a wait. 

DfoJAcp.gif

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Xtors said:

I was there too! I shot in the second group. Overall I thought it was done well and would recommend it to others looking to qualify. I had no problems hearing the commands during the COF either. I shanked one near the start but then I slowed myself down and had no further problems. Next I will call the local PD to setup a time to drop everything off!

Made my appointment with PD for next week. She went over everything on the phone, which was nice. I had the wrong version of the mental health check form and had a heck of a time getting the correct one as my computer kept barfing on it due to some compatibility nonsense. Just have to get the notary done and I am good to go. Hard to believe...

1 hour ago, Xtors said:

Made my appointment with PD for next week. She went over everything on the phone, which was nice. I had the wrong version of the mental health check form and had a heck of a time getting the correct one as my computer kept barfing on it due to some compatibility nonsense. Just have to get the notary done and I am good to go. Hard to believe...

If you can't find a place to do the notary - try your bank.  I got mine done at my local Bank of America.  They usually do it for you for free if you have an account.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

If you can't find a place to do the notary - try your bank.  I got mine done at my local Bank of America.  They usually do it for you for free if you have an account.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking that might be a better choice in general given what's being notarized.

Also, I forgot to mention that at Shooters yesterday, the instructor said they wouldn't list more than one handgun on the sheet that goes to the state because some folks have been denied for having more than one. He then stated you could carry anything you legally own (as has been discussed here), which I questioned (also based on what has been discussed here) and he didn't seem to think it was going to be a problem. IANAL and YMMV...

Just now, samiam said:

Funny he didn't mention that in our 9AM class. Maybe nobody had a second gun. The form did have 4 spaces for firearms identification. 

That was the class I was in! I think it was close to when the first group was scurrying to get on the range. I was the guy with two guns and the form filled out for two when he said it.

Just now, samiam said:

I was a little leery of using my bank. I know that some nationwide banks have taken an anti-2A position. I bank with a regional outfit, which AFAIK hasn't taken such a position. Nevertheless, considering the funds I have in their hands, I'd just as soon keep any quasi-controversial activities I might have low profile. OTOH, I got ripped a bit at Postnet, which I used yesterday as a one-stop shop for both notarization and photos because it is 10 minutes from my home. They dinged me $30 for the three notarizations, and another $15 for each set of 2 photos. Oh, well, convenience does have it's price.

I thought about that too, but I am assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that working in a bank requires things like backgrounds checks vs. say, working at the UPS Store or post office. Maybe I am fooling myself. Really, I need to lose the bank and get with a credit union but that's another story.

6 minutes ago, samiam said:

I was a little leery of using my bank. I know that some nationwide banks have taken an anti-2A position. I bank with a regional outfit, which AFAIK hasn't taken such a position. Nevertheless, considering the funds I have in their hands, I'd just as soon keep any quasi-controversial activities I might have low profile. OTOH, I got ripped a bit at Postnet, which I used yesterday as a one-stop shop for both notarization and photos because it is 10 minutes from my home. They dinged me $30 for the three notarizations, and another $15 for each set of 2 photos. Oh, well, convenience does have it's price.

I moved this to the "Experience" thread - my bad, sorry!!!

Didn't even think twice about going to a national bank - they're all served by local people... The lady that handled my notary was like "oh I did one of these the other day..." - she's from PA and was surprised at how many hoops we have to jump through.  The only note they had to put in their system was that it was an application - doesn't list what type or anything else like that.

14 hours ago, samiam said:

I scheduled an IdenTOGO appointment for 9:20 AM Monday, August 15, in Ardmore. The sign-up was "interesting". I had previously scheduled an appointment with a Contributor Case Number of "SMITH080122" (not my actual surname :) on the presumption of passing my FMJ qual on 7/30, which appointment I subsequently cancelled. Apparently IdenTOGO's system stored some of the infomation I had entered, because, after navigating to the link furnished by NJSP Woodbine

https://unenroll.identogo.com/workflows/2F164B

it came up with the originating agency # for Woodbine NJSP, as previously entered, and it did not prompt me for Contributor Case Number. I assume it picked up the CCN that I previously entered. I will contact IdenTOGO today to see if it can be changed. If not, I'm not terribly worried. I had asked the Woodbine NJSP staff how the would handle the conflict if two applicants named "SMITH" submitted on the same day. They told me that it shouldn't be a problem, and that if there was any difficulty with the CCN, they would call me at the phone number listed on my application to resolve it. I guess if some PD is looking for any excuse to reject or delay, a CCN error like that might provide the excuse, but my read on the two guys I spoke to is that they just want these documents off their desk(s) and on to the next processing step as quickly as possible.  

I did this too. Once you get through to someone there, they will re-register you using the contributor case number you want. It was very quick, probably 10 minutes total including hold time.

2 minutes ago, samiam said:

Someone asked me if the qualification process at Shooters included NJ use of force training, and whether the certificate granted acknowledged that. The answers are "yes" and "yes". I have attached my (redacted) certificate as an example.

REDACTED Shooters Firearms Training Record for NJ carry permit.pdf 653.11 kB · 2 downloads

Might wanna take your phone number off that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, samiam said:

Thanks. I did intend to do that, too early and insufficient caffeine. OTOH I'm not overly worried.That mobile number gets included in just about everything I buy or sign up for on-line. I have a very extensive block list on the phone and I am a heavy contributor to identifying spammers.  I also regularly do web searches for it, and always come up empty. No doubt someone with a lot of InfoSec skills and sufficient motivation could find more of my personal information from just the number, but that is true of almost everything done on-line. NTM that there is no such thing as "unposting" information.Once you have uploaded something to the web (or elsewhere) it persists in some form, somewhere, and can be accessed by people whose identity you will never know. Thank you for the heads-up, though. 

Can I talk to you about extending your car's warranty?

• Haha 4

Just now, charleslee said:

So the permit is only good for two years, I wonder what the renewal w/ entail? Just a fee? Re fingerprinting? Re qualify? The whole freaking shebang? 

IMO, "they" will change it before this round of applicants go up for renewal.

Just now, charleslee said:

So the permit is only good for two years, I wonder what the renewal w/ entail? Just a fee? Re fingerprinting? Re qualify? The whole freaking shebang? 

I really wish people would read the statute.

The renewal process is exactly the same as the initial application. Fringerprints, quals, application form in triplicate and notorized, photos, the whole shebang.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

I really wish people would read the statute.

The renewal process is exactly the same as the initial application. Fringerprints, quals, application form in triplicate and notorized, photos, the whole shebang.

Why read? I can ask here and some stranger will just tell me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2