PK90

NJ CCW or Permit to Carry

Mods, feel free to delete if covered in the hundreds of threads on here.

I see references to a CCW License and a qualification course for a CCW Permit. Yet no where in the law, unless I have missed it, is "concealed" mentioned. Doesn't the permit give one permission to carry a handgun, openly or concealed?

31 minutes ago, PK90 said:

Mods, feel free to delete if covered in the hundreds of threads on here.

I see references to a CCW License and a qualification course for a CCW Permit. Yet no where in the law, unless I have missed it, is "concealed" mentioned. Doesn't the permit give one permission to carry a handgun, openly or concealed?

NJ law does not distinguish between concealed and open carry.  (Fwiw, this has come up numerous times here and on Facebook.)

The concensus is that for numerous reasons, including public perception, that concealed would be the better choice.

• Agree 1

Pre-2012 in AZ, one needed a "Concealed Weapons Permit" to carry a concealed weapon, but anyone could openly carry, no permit needed. Now, anyone, non-resident or resident, can carry openly or concealed without a permit.

NJ law says one needs a Permit to Carry a Handgun. I agree that there is no distinction given to open or concealed, yet permits are issued with "concealed" printed on it. Kind of like them taking the "carry" words off of the FPID. A small concern until it is directed at one personally.

3 hours ago, CJack said:

@PK90 Correct me, weren't you a cop in NJ in your past life (I remember something that from years ago on these forums).. if so, curious how the "permit" was treated back in your days.

Yes. The only permit that I saw issued was for a sea Captain to carry at the docks. The RLEO permits said "concealed". I forget what the captain's said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

NJ has about 100 years of evolution before it (may) comes to terms with law abiding regular joe open carrying everywhere.  I am not talking about somewhere in the sussex woodslands, but populated Jersey City. Lot of states with lot better 2A laws are still struggling with Karens getting triggered and law abiding bearing the consequences.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, samiam said:

I actually like open carry under a number of circumstances, GIven education and time, I think open carry in NJ could be fine. Or I could be completely off-base with this one.

Open carry is a bad idea for a number of reasons even in states with very favorable gun laws.

• Agree 1

Yes, NJ does have open carry. But be prepared for everyone to call the cops on you if you are openly carrying. This is not Kentucky or Alabama or even Texas... and even in those places people get the cops called on them.

The ONLY saving grace for OC in NJ is that if you are printing you don't have to worry about becoming a felon. 

8 hours ago, RadioGunner said:

The ONLY saving grace for OC in NJ is that if you are printing you don't have to worry about becoming a felon. 

Interesting point.

I didn't think 'printing' while carrying was a felony.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

Interesting point.

I didn't think 'printing' while carrying was a felony.

Based on experience and talking with instructors and state agencies in other states, it may be interpreted as open carry. Not just printing but if your shirt accidentally lifts up and exposes your weapon. Other states may be reasonable about this but in NJ I don't expect that. 

Where I grocery shop, there is always a woman, a detective, that open carries wearing plain clothes. But if you look at her from behind, all you see is a pistol on her hip, no badge or uniform. You will only see her badge when looking at her from the front. I have never seen anyone call the police on her.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, samiam said:

Store management and cashiers likely already know who she is. If the clientele is regular enough and it isn't a huge store, most of them may also be aware. Her manner of dress might make a difference, as well. If she is in something reasonably close to business attire, the LEO assumption might still hold. A young man with garish facial tattoos and pins, and clothing that's suggests the ghetto or membership in some radical social group might evoke a different reaction, even though he is just as entitled as anyone to carry (absent formal disqualification). Or I might have the reaction psychology of this completely wrong... 

It's a wegmans. pretty large store and always packed

1 hour ago, samiam said:

Store management and cashiers likely already know who she is. If the clientele is regular enough and it isn't a huge store, most of them may also be aware. Her manner of dress might make a difference, as well. If she is in something reasonably close to business attire, the LEO assumption might still hold. A young man with garish facial tattoos and pins, and clothing that's suggests the ghetto or membership in some radical social group might evoke a different reaction, even though he is just as entitled as anyone to carry (absent formal disqualification). Or I might have the reaction psychology of this completely wrong... 

Most law enforcement agencies, by policy require their officers/agents to conceal their firearms when in plain clothes.  Years of complacency, poor tactics and frankly bravado has allowed the belt/neck badge to replace a uniform. IMO the belt badge lacks decorum and  professionalism.  And it usually signifies a bit of bravado and cockiness (IMO)

A while back  I saw this burly guy in Dunkin Donuts with a gun on his hip = OPEN.  He also had a shirt that said FBI. No badge that I could see.  So being ignorant I believed it all.  Nobody else said anything either. 

So when you get your carry permit in NJ and want to Open Carry......   wear a blue shirt with a Boy Scout patch, some silver or brass buttons, etc. Or do the FBI stunt.   If you don't go overboard you are good to go - no impersonating an officer.   

I am only half kidding. LOL.

28 minutes ago, almiz111 said:

A while back  I saw this burly guy in Dunkin Donuts with a gun on his hip = OPEN.  He also had a shirt that said FBI. No badge that I could see.  So being ignorant I believed it all.  Nobody else said anything either. 

Well, he was in a donut shop, so it all seemed plausible.

• Haha 2

I think we are getting boned on the testing requirements.

Here is what some friends on a different forum posted when I asked about qualifications.

This is what they have to do in WI

Qualification?

We had a three hour class on rules.

We never shot a gun nor where we asked to bring one.

and for PA
Hmm... We hand the Sheriff a filled out application (front side of a piece of paper) and our ID, he runs a background check, and 10 mins later we're out of there with a permit to carry concealed in hand. Repeat every 5 years.

And Texas
      If you have a pulse and $50 in Texas you get a permit.
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Fred2 said:

I think we are getting boned on the testing requirements.

Here is what some friends on a different forum posted when I asked about qualifications...

Now ask your friends in constitutional carry states what hoops they have to jump through.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, samiam said:

I think that is an over-generalization. It's a bad idea in some (possibly most) situations, but not ALL situations. I open carry around my property and adjecanet locations in Virginia. It's mountain land with a significant population of timber rattlers, and I have a couple shot shells loaded as my first two rounds. If I already have my gun on, and the dog wants to go for a walk down the road, I don't take it off or conceal it. I sometimes wear it to the local gas station/convenience store ot the post office. This is very rural country, and pretty much everyone I might encounter is familiar and comfortable with guns. I probably wouldn't go strolling into Starbucks in Blacksburg open carrying. YMMV.

You carry at a US Post Office? 

My local PO has a sign that I recall..I'll try to take a pic..and we are in rural Sussex co.

17 hours ago, Fred2 said:

and for PA

Hmm... We hand the Sheriff a filled out application (front side of a piece of paper) and our ID, he runs a background check, and 10 mins later we're out of there with a permit to carry concealed in hand. Repeat every 5 years.

My friends and family there laugh at me. :facepalm: