PK90

NJ CCW or Permit to Carry

Last week, I was at a gun club talking to an experienced NRA instructor.  We were discussing carry guns and he pointed out that NJ doesn't actually have "concealed" carry licenses.  We just have "carry" licenses.  In terms of the discussion we were talking about imprinting or having a holster show when you bend over to tie your shoes.  

Did I miss something in the discussion?  Because he was talking like you can, with the license, carry open on your hip.

On 7/26/2022 at 9:04 AM, CMJeepster said:

Correct.  No difference in the statute, administrative code or on the permit itself.  I wouldn't recommend it in this state.

Years ago I was in a steel competition. Township cop rolls up and see's a hundred people with handguns in holsters. He never even got out of his car. I was thinking he was the one out of place not us. Never thought we'd be able to step off the club property with a loaded handgun but here we are now. I'm split with carry options. In the country or woods open should be fine. On the streets in your neighborhood, well it will take a while for people to get used to the idea. I'd recommend concealed for now. If too many people freak out the legislature may write a bill stating no open carry which then as someone pointed out, can led to trouble with PD. If we remain a carry state then if your muzzle or grip butt pops out from under cover, PD can't harass you or worse. It's like an NRA sticker on your car. You're inviting someone to follow you home to see where some guns are for a future robbery. We should all be smart and carry discreet. My two cents.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2022 at 9:56 AM, kc17 said:

You know I read that thread earlier also. 

It does not address the other topics in my thread though. Duty to inform and does LEO know when they run license plate or DL. 

No duty to inform. And no license plate or DL are NOT tied to NJ PTC as of now.  If the line of questioning is around getting harassed for having NJ PTC, one should not worry about it for now.

Since I started to drive, I was never asked to step out of the car at any traffic incident.  Should that happen or other circumstances put me in situation where the firearm may be exposed, or show up or be searched, I am inclined to inform the cops ahead of time.  In summary, I hope to use common sense in informing the cops about my carry.

• Like 1

Yes PA is just a paperwork process. Some sheriffs issue same day, some later but within 30 (I think the limit's 30). We applied for our LTCFs. Each application took about 15 minutes including paying at the treasurer's office. Two weeks later the licenses showed up in the mail. And since we're multi-state residents (NJ DL) we added our tax documents and utility bills to demonstrate residency.

My NH renewal goes out by mail tomorrow AM.